• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Smash Bros should not be considered for these connections because the characters in Smash bros are all toys portraying the characters rather the characters themselves.

Presumably some kids with a very active imagination is imagining all the fights.

The "toys" in Smash are functionally the same respective characters that they are in their home games.

iWannaHat

Jul 1, 2019
Darksiders? Hardly if any crossovers. Not in any of the big fighting games. Anyone got a way to include it?

City 17

Oct 25, 2017
Battlefield crosses over with Mass Effect 3, since there is a "Battlefield Solider" playable in the multiplayer if you own both Mass Effect 3 and Battlefield 3 on Origin.

Shepard is in MySims, which is the same universe as Sim City, which features Bowser.
I see, more names waiting for the inevitable solution:

Prince of Persia
Age of Empires
Worms
Hitman

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
I only know this from GTA V and its really subtle.
Mario-and-Luigi-Mushrooms-2-Franklins-Aunts-Location-GTA-V-Easter-Eggs-350x300.jpg
Wow, never noticed that, cool ^^

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I see, more names waiting for the inevitable solution:

Prince of Persia
Age of Empires
Worms
Hitman
Academy of Champions: Soccer has Prince of Persia in it, along with characters like Rabbids/Rayman which cross over with Mario multiple times.

Genghis Khan is in AoE2, and also in Civilisation. Leonardo da Vinci is in Civilisation and Assassin's Creed. Ezio is in Soul Calibur, as is Link.

For Hitman, Agent 47 appeared in Lara Croft's Poker Party, which also had JC Denton in it. Deus Ex had a crossover with Final Fantasy, where characters from Mankind Divided appeared in Final Fantasy Brave Exvius. Cloud is in Smash.

Not got anything for Worms just yet. There are these, but those seem to be just masks/items. Superfrog does appear in Worms though.

Morrigan from Dragon Age is in MySims SkyHeroes, which is the same universe as Sim City, which features Bowser.

City 17

Oct 25, 2017
Academy of Champions: Soccer has Prince of Persia in it, along with characters like Rabbids/Rayman which cross over with Mario multiple times.

Genghis Khan is in AoE2, and also in Civilisation. Leonardo da Vinci is in Civilisation and Assassin's Creed. Ezio is in Soul Calibur, as is Link.

For Hitman, Agent 47 appeared in Lara Croft's Poker Party, which also had JC Denton in it. Deus Ex had a crossover with Final Fantasy, where characters from Mankind Divided appeared in Final Fantasy Brave Exvius. Cloud is in Smash.

Not got anything for Worms just yet. There are these, but those seem to be just masks/items. Superfrog does appear in Worms though.

Morrigan from Dragon Age is in MySims SkyHeroes, which is the same universe as Sim City, which features Bowser.
Good stuff, so Worms sticks for now.

May 10, 2019
If you don't want to accept real world celebrities appearing as themselves in GTA and other games, that's your problem, I guess.

Good stuff, so Worms sticks for now.

Loosest of connections so it likely doesn't count, but Worms (as a game franchise) exists in the Escapists, which also had a Walking Dead installment, and Negan was in Tekken 7, so there's that.

If it does count there's a Jak & Daxter board game and Uncharted movie franchise in The Last Of Us.

Error 52

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Has RDR been covered? Tiger Woods?
RDR is in the same boat as GTA, though GTA Online has John Marston as a playable character so if you can get one you can both.

Also, Isaac was apparently in PGA Tour 10, and Isaac was in the NBA Jam reboot, a series which once featured Mortal Kombat characters as special guests before NBA got salty about it and forced them to be pulled. Then you go from Mortal Kombat to SoulCalibur via Spawn, SoulCalibur to Link, etc.

Edit: Wait never mind he was in PSBR as DLC, okay that's way simpler

Last edited:

Sphinx

Nov 29, 2017
how about the Ghost and Goblins series?

maybe Shinobi?

I know they aren't "high-profile" in the AAA sense but they are well known

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
Mike Tyson in Punch Out, EA UFC & WWE 13
Bruce Lee in EA UFC
Overeem in EA MMA
Fedor in EA MMA

Little Mac in Smash means that Bruce Lee, Anderson Silva, Fedor, The WWE Universe and UFC are in the Marioverse.

And I made that complicated.

How do we get Goku in here? There has to be a link.

SkyOdin

Apr 21, 2018
Smash Bros should not be considered for these connections because the characters in Smash bros are all toys portraying the characters rather the characters themselves.

Presumably some kids with a very active imagination is imagining all the fights.
Super Smash Bros. isn't as necessary as you might think. There are a bunch of ways to side-step it when linking together Nintendo franchises and other franchises.

For example, both Link and Samus cameo in Super Mario RPG. Samus cameos in Kirby Dreamland 3. Various characters appear in both Star Fox and F-Zero. Animal Crossing references all of these games and more. Marth's Falchion (along with the Triforce and other items) appears in the Great Cave Offensive in Kirby Super Star.

Now, both Chrom and Lucina of Fire Emblem Awakening are playable in Project X Zone 2. Alongside Ryu. So even without Super Smash Bros. you can connect almost every Nintendo property to Ryu, and from Ryu you connect to every other gaming franchise imaginable.

May 10, 2019
Mike Tyson in Punch Out, EA UFC & WWE 13
Bruce Lee in EA UFC
Overeem in EA MMA
Fedor in EA MMA

Little Mac in Smash means that Bruce Lee, Anderson Silva, Fedor, The WWE Universe and UFC are in the Marioverse.

And I made that complicated.

How do we get Goku in here? There has to be a link.

And it's also a faster connection to GTA than GIant Gram 2000 since Bas Rutten is in EA UFC 2.

Error 52

Banned
Nov 1, 2017

This is pretty asinine, especially since the "They're toys" aspect was only really emphasised in 64 and Melee, and gone completely in Ultimate.

Still, no Smash (or Mario Maker) makes for a good hard mode.

Also, here's a fun one. Katana Zero.

"That's an extremely recent, serious-faced indie game that's not even been out for long enough to have so much as a cameo!"

You naive fool.

wrochZb.jpg

See this guy in the logo you see when the game starts? His name is Eid, he's from an old freeware game by Askiisoft called Tower of Heaven.

Rivals of Aether has a Tower of Heaven stage.

Rivals of Aether has Shovel Knight DLC, because of course it does.

So, playing hard mode, we need to get from Shovel Knight to Mario without Smash Bros. There's a good few ways to do this, but here's what I went with:

Runner3 has Shovel Knight as a playable character. Commander Video appears in Super Meat Boy. So does "Mr. Minecraft". Minecraft has a Mario skinpack.

Boom, I'm a god.

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I was gonna say the last of us, but then i remembered that crackpot theory someone posted a while ago about TLOU being a prequel to mario.

Astrogamer

Oct 25, 2017
I'm kind of curious on seeing how obscure we can go and still connect back to Mario
You can get most Koei Tecmo franchises through Warriors All-Stars -> Dead or Alive 3DS or Samurai Warriors 3 -> Metroid ->Smash or Super Mario RPG.
Through Dead or Alive, we can also connect to Senran Kagura and there we can connect to that Nitroplus fighting game which opens up a bunch of visual novels and stuff
How about Disgaea or Neptunia? I'm not too familiar with them so what connections can we make.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
It was already, since there's Jump Force that has characters from One Piece and Dragon Quest, and Dragon Quest has multiple connections.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Crashman

Oct 27, 2017
I'm kind of curious on seeing how obscure we can go and still connect back to Mario
You can get most Koei Tecmo franchises through Warriors All-Stars -> Dead or Alive 3DS or Samurai Warriors 3 -> Metroid ->Smash or Super Mario RPG.
Through Dead or Alive, we can also connect to Senran Kagura and there we can connect to that Nitroplus fighting game which opens up a bunch of visual novels and stuff
How about Disgaea or Neptunia? I'm not too familiar with them so what connections can we make.

They link. Disgaea and Neptunia are already linked due to the Neptunia character Nisa. From there you can either link them with the game Cross Edge which has Disgaea and Darkstalkers characters (which is then a step away from Ryu) or connect them via Senran Kagura Peach Beach Splash which also has DoA characters. DoA links to Virtua Fighter which links to Street fighter via Project X Zone.

Zan

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
How about River City Ransom? Can't think of any overt connections ATM.

SchroDingerzat

One Winged Slayer
Sep 24, 2018
Biohock maybe? Feel the OP should update the first post with all games mentioned that have connections.