• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
The cool thing about Yoshi's Story is that Nintendo cracked up the effect possible due to a high speed CPU and 3D computation which were present in Yoshi's Island but less pronounced.
This made perfectly sense cause on console like PS1 and N64 sprites didn't really exist and to do 2D games they simply render textures with transparent background so in a sense they were already ready to do effects uncommon with past sprite based consoles (though not many developers tried to take advantage).

Note the real time generated lava waves (another example is the water distortion effect):
nxOD95.gif
That game has aged like fine wine. Also the most underrated Yoshi game.

TemplaerDude

Oct 25, 2017
There are some games that look nice in screenshots, but the second you see them running it turns to garbage. Stunning is not a word that should be used in regards to the N64's graphical output.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Perfect Dark and Conker BFD are the best looking titles imo.

Too bad the framerate is rough on the corners though, especially for PD in High-Rez Mode.

OP
OP
SiG

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
I really don't think so. Granted, there were many games that had that typical N64 "fog and muddy textures", but there were an equal amount of ones with good art direction (Kirby 64), or ones that knew how to draw on its technical prowess, however difficult it may be (Factor 5's games).
Not to get into screenshot warz, and while those do indeed look like turd

I think people dont remember how bad n64 games actually looked.
There are some games that look nice in screenshots, but the second you see them running it turns to garbage. Stunning is not a word that should be used in regards to the N64's graphical output.
So "All N64 games look like shit", is that what you're saying? I feel like you guys are just trolling the thread.

Last edited:

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
Neon Genesis Evangelion 64 is a little technical wonder as well
Neon Genesis Evangelion for N64 was indeed a quite faithful recreation of the anime with the use of accurate polygonal models.
Technically it wasn't really a tour de force for the console (in term of special effects) but the source material was recreated in every fine details.
It helped that the game was very constrained in scope, basically a mini game collection, therefore it pushed most of the polygonal budget on the Eva/Angels models.
A must play for Evangelion fans.

xn1Q3q.gif

TemplaerDude

Oct 25, 2017
I really don't think so. Granted, there were many games that had that typical N64 "fog and muddy textures", but there were an equal amount of ones with good art direction (Kirby 64), or ones that knew how to draw on its technical prowess, however difficult it may be (Factor 5's games).

So "All N64 games look like shit", is that what you're saying?

Most of them ran like utter trash. There is nothing "stunning" about those polygons, that is nostalgic hyperbole and ignoring the fact that, once again, the second they started move the whole facade fell apart.

OP
OP
SiG

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
Most of them ran like utter trash. There is nothing "stunning" about those polygons, that is nostalgic hyperbole and ignoring the fact that, once again, the second they started move the whole facade fell apart.
Have you watched any of the videos I've linked to? I think you're really just trolling at this point.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
It's a console with truly hideous games but Sin and Punishment, Paper Mario, Kirby and even the Evangelion game (it plays like shit, don't worry) look pretty good.

OP
OP
SiG

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of which, I saw this particular demoscene trailer running on N64 hardware. Was there any developer or game that manage to attain this level of fluidity and visual IQ?

Basically every game being mentioned BUT World Driver Championship.
They also completely ignored 1080 Snowboarding which was one of the better performing N64 titles.

Oct 25, 2017
I really don't think so. Granted, there were many games that had that typical N64 "fog and muddy textures", but there were an equal amount of ones with good art direction (Kirby 64), or ones that knew how to draw

So "All N64 games look like shit", is that what you're saying? I feel like you guys are just trolling the thread.

Can you relax with the hypersensitivity regarding your thread and trolling? I was replying to the poster who said the best N64 games look as good as some gamecube games. Calm down.

Zed

Oct 28, 2017
Those Yoshi's Story posts are reminding me how great that game looked. Too bad the gameplay itself was rather medicore so it is not remembered that much.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Neon Genesis Evangelion for N64 was indeed a quite faithful recreation of the anime with the use of accurate polygonal models.
Technically it wasn't really a tour de force for the console (in term of special effects) but the source material was recreated in every fine details.
It helped that the game was very constrained in scope, basically a mini game collection, therefore it pushed most of the polygonal budget on the Eva/Angels models.

xn1Q3q.gif

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma

xn1Q3q.gif
Wow that looks great for N64. This thread makes me want to boot up rare replay again

OP
OP
SiG

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
I remember Turok 3 having a very high res mode with the expansion pak.
Hmm, speaking of which, I found footage of that game (PAL version though), and I'm impressed they managed to get facial animation during cutscenes as well (though the faces themselves aren't great by today's standards).

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
Turok 2 is quite a looker, 3 feels a bit toned down in comparsion. Perfect Dark is also excellent.

Framerate's a bit of an issue in both, unfortunately.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Have you watched any of the videos I've linked to? I think you're really just trolling at this point.

i mean, they're alright? the racing game doesn't look as good as the GT games or RRT4, I'd wager even with some of the polygonal morphing issues-- Sega Rally on Saturn has better performance.

Rogue Squadron 3D was pretty impressive for the time (I got it and the expansion pack the Christmas it came out) but I definitely prefer a lot more games on other consoles-- not to mention the N64's own Sin and Punishment.

OP
OP
SiG

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
I guess you missed the Wii/PS360 era where there was a Cruis'n game revealed for Wii. It looked worse than most N64 games, hah.
Heck, it still happens in the Switch/PS4/XB1 era where people will often call the Switch port as "looking something like an N64 game"
Hmm...

WORLDDRIVERCHAMPIONSHIPN64-3.gif

I never got a chance to play World Driver Championship so I have no nostalgia for it, but I'm still rather impressed by how it managed to keep such nice visual quality while still performing better than most other N64 titles.

i mean, they're alright? the racing game doesn't look as good as the GT games or RRT4, I'd wager even with some of the polygonal morphing issues-- Sega Rally on Saturn has better performance.

Rogue Squadron 3D was pretty impressive for the time (I got it and the expansion pack the Christmas it came out) but I definitely prefer a lot more games on other consoles-- not to mention the N64's own Sin and Punishment.
Rogue Squadron never came out on other consoles. Only a PC release.

I do have to give kudos to Treasure for making Sin & Punishment perform well, but I guess the rough angular artstyle is something of an aquired taste.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Rogue Squadron never came out on other consoles. Only a PC release.

I do have to give kudos to Treasure for making Sin & Punishment perform well, but I guess the rough angular artstyle is something of an aquired taste.

I played it on N64. I was referring to it not looking as good as some other games from the same generation :P

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The cool thing about Yoshi's Story is that Nintendo cracked up the effect possible due to a high speed CPU and 3D computation which were present in Yoshi's Island but less pronounced.
This made perfectly sense cause on console like PS1 and N64 sprites didn't really exist and to do 2D games they simply render textures with transparent background so in a sense they were already ready to do effects uncommon with past sprite based consoles (though not many developers tried to take advantage).

Note the real time generated lava waves (another example is the water distortion effect):
nxOD95.gif
that's cool! I wonder how Yoshi became the "graphical showcase" series

and how it went wrong with new island

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Conker even had soldier of fortune type location damage which made for some interesting multiplayer interactions

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
Golden Eye 007, Perfect Dark
Turok 2 (but the framerate...)
Banjo & Kazooie, tooie
Shadow Man was also impressive

nbnt

Oct 26, 2017
c4rqeIy.gif

S&P for me. Might not be technically the best, but the crazy spectacle of it all makes it something really special for that era.

0xhwtyX.gif

And I just adore how these extremely low poly character models look, they're more appealing to me than any other human models on the system.

TemplaerDude

Oct 25, 2017

Yes sir, that's right, I disagree so I must be trolling.

Yes, I saw the videos. They're not representative of the majority of N64 games, they look good but they're not "stunning". They're blocky and typical early 3D games - kind of ugly. Nostalgia is a beautiful thing but it clearly is fogging your reality.

Zero83

Oct 29, 2017
Oslo
I remember one of the last N64 games I played was Jet Force Gemini, which looked fantastc. One of the first PS2 games I played was Oni (from Rockstar) and that was bland as hell.

In the late nineties the best looking N64 games looked amazing compared to most PSOne games, but a lot of them suffered from really low frame rates.

Honorable mentions: Perfect Dark, Mario 64, Turok 2, Shadowman, Wave Race.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
No offense but a lot of titles posted here are hideous. Especiall the Rare ones. For my money, Wave Race 64 is the most aesthetically pleasing game on the system.

pboBfpz.gif

g5nYAqP.gif

cdDcUiD.gif

CanUKlehead

Oct 30, 2017
Dude...there are a few stops between "not stunning" and "shit" lol Like "that actor/actress isn't stunning" doesn't mean they look like shit lol

Anyway, I vote S&P, but I don't have memories of really liking the N64 look even back then. Of course, that whole generation was basically the necessary but awkward teenage phase of console polygon graphics so I respect it, but I was glad to jump into Dreamcast-level polygom counts eventually.

awake4ages

Neo•Geo Saver
Oct 27, 2017
If we aren't talking raw graphical showmanship then I have always had a soft spot for the 2.5D approach that Mischief Makers took.

Damn that was a great game. I should replay it soon.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Conker's Bad Fur Day. Both the graphics themselves and the quality of the character models/animation was way beyond any other N64 game. (And it didn't even make use of the Expansion Pak, despite being one of the last "big" N64 games.)