• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MrMatt555

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll start...

To me, this boss fight Is everything. Between the interchanging music and health bars, the quirky Easter eggs thrown in, the overall motivation between these two characters which is only further impacted by my playing all the games in the series up to this point. It's rewarding in the best way possible. I will never forget it.

OP
OP
MrMatt555

MrMatt555

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll start...

To me, this boss fight Is everything. Between the interchanging music and health bars, the quirky Easter eggs thrown in, the overall motivation between these two characters which is only further impacted by my playing all the games in the series up to this point. It's rewarding in the best way possible. I will never forget it.

Sure there are better end game fights mechanically speaking, but this to me wins on an emotional level.

Edit: woops.

Oct 25, 2017
canada
I'll start...

Right series wrong game

The Boss, MGS3.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll co-sign the OP That scene is why I was REALLY adamant for years that Metal Gear Solid V didn't need to exist. That was the perfect bow-tie to the series the culmination of everything.

I can think of other boss fights I enjoy more mechanically but they aren't final bosses. Usually the last quarter of a game is when most games tend to really fuck it up. Can't think of many really good final bosses.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
I'll vote for Jubelius in Bayonetta, because it's great aside from some platforming frustrations and you basically finish by punching God into the sun, what's not to love.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Hard to pick the single greatest, but this moment in Dark Souls 3 is up there.

tenor.gif

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
Well, the final boss of Oath in Felghana immediately came to mind, so I'll say that. It's such a fun fight.

Hardvlade

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'll start...

Metal Gear Solid 4 had some good moments, but this boss fight right here made it earn a place in my list of the best gaming moments. This fight was just so damn good, the music and everything that led up to that moment was special.

One of my favorite fights was going against

latest

Great game, campaign and awesome boss fight. Queen Myrrah was a badass.

Also one memorable boss fight that I'll never forget.

batman-and-robin-mr-freeze-890940.jpg

Mr. Freeze in Arkham City. Amazing boss fight and mechanics, loved it.

OP
OP
MrMatt555

MrMatt555

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Metal Gear Solid 4 had some good moments, but this boss fight right here made it earn a place in my list of the best gaming moments. This fight was just so damn good, the music and everything that led up to that moment was special.

One of my favorite fights was going against

latest

Great game, campaign and awesome boss fight. Queen Myrrah was a badass.

Also one memorable boss fight that I'll never forget.

batman-and-robin-mr-freeze-890940.jpg

Mr. Freeze in Arkham City. Amazing boss fight and mechanics, loved it.

Wow queen myrrah takes me back. That was a really fun fight.

Inzaa

Oct 27, 2017
The last boss of the first Splatoon, the music was great and the flow of the fight was really good imo.

Fuggins

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Lavos.jpg

There's plenty of personal bias here, but I think an argument could be made for Lavos from Chrono Trigger. This concept blew my mind as a youth, and his impact on the game world is frighteningly broad.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
maxresdefault.jpg

Asriel from Undertale

Everything about this fight is goddamn amazing. His fucking reveal is so great, the music that builds up at the start ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGaneyDfyls ) and once it gets going the light show begins. The dialogue that happens in the fight. Even when you die in the fight it turns it to an amazing "fuck yes" moment. Then once the 2nd half begins and there are so many gameplay and story call backs that are amazing to playthrough. Then once you are at the end the game hits you with it's last twist and throws an emotional gut punch. Very few games can make me go from laughing and cheering to almost crying and it work so well.

I think it's the most well crafted ending to a game I've ever played that perfectly encapsulates everything the game achieved.

Jason Schrier wrote an entire article on how it is one of the best final bosses ever created
https://kotaku.com/undertale-has-one-of-the-greatest-final-boss-fights-in-1751201659

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK
General RAAM

Not sure if it qualifies but The Ivory King is a spectacular fight as well (DS2)

-Soma-

User requested ban
Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Devil May Cry 3: Vergil.

dante_vs_vergil_dmc3_by_txikimorin-d41rrzq.jpg

The build-up of that fight is something else entirely. The entire game led up to that single moment. It's the best example of a "Final showdown" I can think of that genuinely feels great both narratively and as the perfect end to a gameplay loop where you'll probably need everything you've learned up until that point. Also dat music.

Last edited:

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Probably the three-phase castlevania 3 finale.

Just a lot of fun and unlike a lot of boss transformations, the three dracula fights are radically different as he turns into heads that spit acid while floating and a Pazuzu demon.

I also really like the Mystic Quest Legend final boss

I really love when RPGs show "damage" to enemies, and Mystic Quest Legend is one of the best ever at that, and they outdid themselves for the final boss, as he becomes "serious" unveiling six arms laden with weapons, then a spider and finally some kind of tentacle monstrosity. Music is also incredible.

Orochinagis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Metroid Prime - Metroid Prime

latest

One of the few bosses I didnt expect a spike of difficulty or even beat it

SupremeWu

Banned
Dec 19, 2017
Metroid Prime - Metroid Prime

latest

One of the few bosses I didnt expect a spike of difficulty or even beat it

This one is memorable because I spent so long trying to fight it traditionally and then I realized you go into a 'hyper mode' if you step into those puddles, which made the fight actually winnable. Maybe I missed some obvious clues but I remember figuring that out on my own and being so satisfied.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Single greatest is impossible, way too many amazing I can think of. But the one that comes to mind because it uses everything the game teaches you and just has an absolutely amazing vibe:

The last boss of the first Splatoon, the music was great and the flow of the fight was really good imo.

Novel Mike

Oct 25, 2017
This is easy, Kefka from FFVI.

kefka.jpg

To be accurate, this is a multi-stage might consisting of 3 other bosses you must defeat before Kefka. Kefka then begins the fight by descending from the heavens above as if to tell the power you are literally about to fight the new god of the world. His first move is then to drop all of your characters hp to 1. You get to use almost every character during this final fight and while its not the hardest fight in the world the visual imagery of it all is so damn amazing and on point. The music backs this up so well, I mean Dancing Mad is a full 17 minute piece that plays during the battle that ramps up at the end into one epic final sequence that is just so perfect, I don't know of any music in the history of video games that is nearly as long or powerful. I know a lot of people like the Sephiroth theme from FFVII as well but Dancing Mad is just so much more complicated in terms of the varying emotions at play during the course of the song and the fight, its a damn masterpiece.

Edit: Skip to 11:32 to get to the part where the final phase plays and you finally face Kefka himself.

It's also worth mentioning the stakes here, unlike so many other games the heroes aren't trying to save the world from impending doom, Kefka already won the war. He destroyed the world and remade it in his image. Even if the group was somehow able to kill Kefka who now has godlike power at his beck and call nothing they do will fix the world and the magic that the group has used to make it as far as they have will ultimately disappear and the world will be left without even that and the result could be Terra disappearing as well.

But you know what? Kefka is a cruel, evil, sadistic bastard and hes gotta die. Even if it takes all of their lives to kill him they've gotta try because while the world may be turned to complete shit it'll at least be a little bit better without him in it.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
The first one that comes to my mind is the final boss from FF XIII Lightning Returns.

ActWan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just came to post that OP! By far my favorite final boss ever. Amazing in every level.

Deleted member 9971

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
250px-Djoctavio.png

DJ effing Octavio.

My all time favorite Splatoon 1 btw.
That song also is my all time favorite.

Had goosebumps all over when that Squid Sister song started in the last phase of the battle.

Last edited:

okayfrog

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If the ending sequence of Nier: Automata is considered to be a final boss, I go with that.