• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

dots

Oct 27, 2017
I'd probably pick a different song if I replied to this later on today. Or tomorrow. There are just too many and my mind is always cycling through them.
Right now it's Foreplay / Long Time by Boston.

Yeah it probably should be something from this album. Just perfect rock music all the way through, and yet sounded completely new at the time and feels fresh today.

Jakenbakin

"This guy are sick"
Jun 17, 2018
The Clash - London Calling

Fuck me do I ever love the Clash. I considered a bunch of songs but just went straight to the standard, but so many of their songs are just too fucking good.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
It's definitely something by Pink Floyd. I might go with Comfortably Numb, but Time is also a very good choice.

May 24, 2021
A few of the ones that I thought about add have already been put up. Haven't seen these guys yet though!

A Flock of Seagulls - I Ran (So Far Away)

ninnanuam

Nov 24, 2017
Talking about "rock" not rock and roll or metal?

It's probably Highway to Hell.....maybe Back in Black

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Why is this even a discussion when Reelin' In Y
The Years exists?
youtu.be

Reelin' In The Years

Provided to YouTube by Universal Music GroupReelin' In The Years · Steely DanCitizen 1972-1980℗ 1972 UMG Recordings, Inc.Released on: 1993-12-19Associated P...

4CornersTHSA

Jun 13, 2019
An impossible question lol. Every one listed thus far can be argued.

A few that get regular rotation by me

Wish You Were Here - Pink Floyd
Whole Lotta Love - Led Zeppelin
Here Comes The Sun - Beatles
Sympathy For The Devil - Rolling Stones
Voodoo Chile - Jimi Hendrix
Drain You - Nirvana
No Excuses - Alice In Chains
Go Your Own Way - Fleetwood Mac
In Memory of Elizabeth Reed - Allman Brothers Band
46 and 2 - Tool
Wherever I May Roam - Metallica
Johnny B. Goode - Chuck Berry
House Of The Rising Sun - Animals (it's a cover but holy smokes it's timeless)
Smoke On The Water - Deep Purple
War Pigs - Black Sabbath

Tomorrow I'd have a slightly different list but most of these would still be there.

Edit: here's the live version of Elizabeth Reed from Fillmore East. Part of the finest live album ever IMO, and if I'm pressed it's either this or Here Comes The Sun.

In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed -Allman Brothers Band

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
Gimme some of that... poundcake.
www.youtube.com

Van Halen - Poundcake (1991) (Music Video - Full Length Version) WIDESCREEN 1080p

Link to alternate version without the little girl intro / ending -https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeDC1S0Qv58

giphy.gif

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
These types of threads were so much more fun back when YouTube embeds worked all the time.

Mariachi507

Oct 26, 2017
Whatever it is, it came out in the 60's. Probably A Day in the Life or something.

Music is so subjective. I'm glad OP at least left this open to discussion instead of making a declaration. I kind of hate "Greatest of all time" discussions in rock music because it usually centers around classic rock and acts like there's nothing else worth discussing. Anyway, with all that being said here's some indie shit from 2012:

Haven't heard that in years. Love that song.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
The criteria I would give would be 4/4 time because that's timing for the common folk, one modulation/key change (but no more, don't need to go all prog), at least one "Yeah!" or "whoa!" that is yelled with more gusto than the rest of the lyrics are sang, distorted guitar, a guitar solo, lets throw a dive-bomb in there, and a kick ass bass riff. Would have to give it to Livin On A Prayer unless anything else better fits the bill

Oct 28, 2017
The one song I think of when I think of rock is Baba O'Reilly by The Who. It's just the ultimate anthem. Second choice would be Stairway to Heaven. Just absolutely epic with one of the greatest guitar solos of all time. I don't care if it's overrated

Brunire

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Impossible, but fun to think about. Here's some of my favorites:

Thin Lizzy - Emerald
Metallica - Fade to Black
Tool - Forty Six & 2
Matchbook Romance - Monsters
Coheed & Cambria - The Crowing
System of a Down - Spiders

Scottt

Oct 25, 2017
I know I already committed to "Time," but "Just What I Needed" is another all-timer.

flail

Jan 17, 2019
Because it deserves more love in this thread, all of The Cars s/t debut. Also something by the Cure but I can't decide which song