• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say, SWSH will not get any sort of follow up version. Quote me on this.

In literally all the base games, the third legendary plays little to no role, is just sitting in some random cave or something. Unlike all those, Eternatus plays a pretty prominent role in the actual story. The third legendary usually get a second form in the follow up games (see giratina, kyurem, zygarde, necrozma), yet Eternatus already has two, and both are battled in the Climax.

So therefore, I think it's gonna be like gen 6, where its just base game + remake, but this time around a lack of a third version being planned from the start rather than being scrapped midway like Z probably did.

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
So saying we get a third game

(for example Emerald, Platinum etc)

What would be the name of said game? Pokémon Armor perhaps? Would you like to see a PR move where all the Pokémon get added to the wild areas?

I'm really curious about this one, it's been a long time since we got a true "definitive edition" what would you like added to Pokémon Sword & Shield in general for me Togepi is in so I'm all good :P

You will either get Shining Sword and Shining Shield or Sword 2 and Shield 2. B2W2 and USUM's sales have killed any chances of a third game.

That or they'll pull a XY and just not bother with Galar again.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say, SWSH will not get any sort of follow up version. Quote me on this.

In literally all the base games, the third legendary plays little to no role, is just sitting in some random cave or something. Unlike all those, Eternatus plays a pretty prominent role in the actual story. The third legendary usually get a second form in the follow up games (see giratina, kyurem, zygarde, necrozma), yet Eternatus already has two, and both are battled in the Climax.

So therefore, I think it's gonna be like gen 6, where its just base game + remake, but this time around a lack of a third version being planned from the start rather than being scrapped midway like Z probably did.

I agree with this. There's enough hints that Sinnoh remakes are on their way, either next year or the year after, and then it will probably be all hands on deck for gen 9.

Cokomon

One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
Pokemon Diamond And Pearl remakes will be SwSh 2, like ORAS was to X&Y.

IzzyRX

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Pokémon Energy Sword and Energy Shield.
But honestly, I think SwSh will be X/Y 2.0.

Boclfon479

Oct 25, 2017
It's gonna either be ____ sword and ____ shield, or its gonna be bow.

it won't be armor because shield is already an armor like thing, and sword can be construed as a melee weapon, so bow it is.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
the last "third" game was 12 years ago. we can safely assume there won't be another one.

Sybil

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Shining Sword and... Sparkling... Shield...
sparkling so then the upgraded zamazenta can actually be magenta

Meatfist

Oct 25, 2017
FOeoiqY.jpg

Oct 26, 2017
You will either get Shining Sword and Shining Shield or Sword 2 and Shield 2. B2W2 and USUM's sales have killed any chances of a third game.

Why are you acting like B2W2 = USUM? USUM is clearly a third game that did not advance the story in Sun and Moon (instead, it was a retelling in a similar vein to Emerald, Platinum, etc).

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon are basically a third version except two games instead of one. Very different from Black 2 and White 2.

kirby_fox

Oct 29, 2017
Midwest USA
Pokemon Fist. They get rid of the armor completely and fist fight.

Seriously, I'm expecting a direct sequel and it being Sword 2 and Shield 2, including more Galar forms, more Giga forms and more of the complete dex.

Keyouta

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I don't think there's going to be a third version, it'll be like X/Y with the base games, then remakes the following year.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Either Sword 2 / Shield 2 or some name with a modifier (ie, "Mighty Sword").

They stopped doing 3rd versions a long time ago.