• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
We're living the middle of a semi-resurgence of the fighting genre, yet one classic franchise is missing. Are these guys even around anymore? We got Street Fighter, Tekken, Mortal Kombat, Killer Instinct, Guilty Gear, Smash and countless others alive and kicking but Virtua Fighter is still missing. It's actually been ten years since VF5's first iteration. That's just crazy. Not a peep about VF6. :/

Anyone got any inside scoops?

No, this doesn't count.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yakuza minigames.
troll.png

Dooble

Oct 28, 2017
Japanese only arcade games.

We are approaching ten years of action rpg (Quest of D, Shining Force Cross), Mahjong and Border Break updates.

How can I forget Hatsune Miku (since 2009 Arcade). Of course that has VF staff too.

Last edited:

∀∃:ETURNA

Oct 27, 2017
I was actually just wondering about Sega-AM2 a couple days ago. I would be satisfied with a port of VF5:FS to Steam. VF6 on current systems and Steam would be even better.

seiki

Permanently banned for usage of an alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The creator of Virtua Fighter (Yu Suzuki) is currently making Shenmue 3 but he was not part of the Virtua Fighter 5 team as he departed from Sega.

As for the actual question on what are the VF5 team doing... they did something with Dead or Alive so I guess thats all we are going to get with Virtua Fighter. It's a shame really.

Kyussons

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Part of Am2 is working on a new multiplayer arcade game, Soul Reverse Arcade, I think this is the same team that worked on Border Break.

Another Am2 team is updating & supporting the Kancolle arcade game.

The VF team is MIA, the key figures behind VF havent left yet afaik, they could be working on VF6 or helping other teams, who knows.

Last edited:

seiki

Permanently banned for usage of an alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Semi-related: why did Suzuki leave Sega?
Well Sega went in a really bad situation after failed projects and lost a ton of money, Suzuki was able to continue his work but Sega was not much worth to him anymore and so he left to concentrate on his own current development studio Ys Net.

Kyussons

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well Sega went in a really bad situation after failed projects and lost a ton of money, Suzuki was able to continue his work but Sega was not much worth to him anymore and so he left to concentrate on his own current development studio Ys Net.

Yep, the man first fullfilled his duties and recouped Shenmues budget with VF4s profits, then became an advisor at Sega until leaving. They parted on good terms.

JaredTaco

Oct 27, 2017
The Virtua Figther 5 team (AM2) makes the Hatsune Miku games. Also, they have a new arcade game called Soul Reverse.

Makoto Osaki the director of Virtua Figther 5 and OutRun 2 is still at Sega. There will be a Virtua Figther 6!!!!

Deleted member 6769

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man I'd even love some ports of VF games to Steam or GOG or PS4 or anywhere. A collection would be rad, but really unlikely. I wanna replay that VF4:E Quest Mode!

Chamaeleonx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
VF 6 will happen!

I will always believe...
As long as it is better than "Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown" (I believe it is called this on PS3). Tried it recently and I prefer the PS2 titles, which look even better despite probably being more low poly. Really sad how the franchise practically vanished over the years.

BuBu Jenkins

Oct 27, 2017
With the age of 3d fighters relying on gimmicks and shoehorning 2d fighter bs like comeback mechanics, supers, projectiles, made up unrealistic gimmicky fighting styles like DOA5 and T7 resorted to. I miss VF's pure realism and no nonsense skill based gameplay

Deleted member 11926

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is there even a fighting game team? I could have made sense for sega to assimilate them into the Yakuza team.
However, I would be really interested in a new Virtua Fighter.

Voke

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
10 years ago I purchased my fat PS3 with VF5. I can't believe we haven't gotten a mainline sequel since then, it's truly a shame because FS improved upon the formula incredibly well.
I'm 100% confident VF6 would be the definitive 3D fighting game.

Arsic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
All I know is whatever they bring to the table I'm in.

Even if it's just another HD port of 5 to current gen sign me up.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
Arika, a company long since delegated to mobile games, is putting out a brand new fighting game and they're putting it out ebfore a Virtua Fighter sequel.

That's how dead that franchise is HaHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

ContraWars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Sega needs to get VF6 off the ground. Even a reboot.

Make it like CSGO and DOTA2 with cosmetic loot drops in online daily matchups. A store to sell your drops where Sega takes a cut. Give it group chat lobbies where a channel mod can rig up tournament brackets and everybody can watch matches. Have it cross-platform. Let people have flair. Make it F2P with background ads in the stages or banners on the chat client. Have all sales of loot and ads pool a cut into a seasonal Sega VF championship. Use something like GGPO for the online. Keep the gameplay as solid as it always was.

COME ON SEGA. DO IT.

Xevren

Oct 25, 2017
Someone shine the Oneida signal!

Sigh, 5 VS is still one of my favorite fighting games. I'd just be happy with a port again at this point.

ContraWars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'm a lunatic who bought 5 and 5FS on PS3, 5 Online on 360 the day it came out, 5 Online on demand digitally for 360, and 5FS on 360. This is the greatest and most consistent franchise Sega has going back to the Saturn days. It has the most potential to light up a FGC/eSport scene and print money for Sega.

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I wish VF was still around. We clearly don't deserve good things.

I am in the Virtua Fighter is > than Tekken camp..

Come at me!!

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I don't really like final showdown compared to VF5 online on 360 which i think is far higher quality with far better production values.

I don't know how much Sega would be willing to invest in a ground up AAA fighting game in this day and age.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
Eleven years since VF5 original release and 7 since Final Showdown...as much as it pains me, I guess we can assume it's dead while they keep giving funds to Sonic Team for more shitty Sonic games.

At least we have Yakuza...