• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Hierophant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
I've been thinking about this over the day after playing Wolfenstein: The New Colossus (amazing game btw) and I'm looking back at how good this year has been for videogames, legitimately so many GOTY contenders putting up a real fight. Let's contrast this to bad years in gaming of recent past, I nominate 2014, a year so weak that Shadow of Mordor won game of the year from numerous outlets, though some solid titles did come out, it pales in comparison to this year.
Let's discuss!

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
2014 was pretty bad IMO. Even Destiny didn't really get good until 2015 so I have no fond memories of that year.

nbnt

Oct 26, 2017
Yep, it's 2014. Bayonetta 2 was the only standout that year.

2012 was also kinda meh overall, but not as bad.

NinjaCoachZ

Oct 26, 2017
Just personally I wasn't really a big fan of 2013. Not interested in most of the AAA western games (TLOU is good though), slow start for the new consoles, Wii U was just 3D World, Wonderful 101, Rayman, Lego Undercover and Pikmin 3 amid a sea of nothing. 3DS was okay but two of the best games (FE Awakening, Animal Crossing) were late 2012 localizations. At least there was Ibb and Obb and Puppeteer though.

On the flipside 2014 wasn't great if you mainly play AAA western games but amazing if you loved Nintendo, Japanese games and indies.

Oct 27, 2017
Bournemouth
Cant disagree here, 2014 was definitely the weakest.

Alien Isolation was a personal highlight, and Shadow of Mordor was pretty decent, but in terms of big games, there wasn't much to shout about.

Good haul of indies though!

Oct 25, 2017
Bayonetta 2 game out in 2014 so it can't be the weakest.

2013 was probably my personal weakest. Can't think of anything I really care about released that year.

Azzanadra

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
2014, I must've bought two games day one that year- Dark Souls 2 and Dragon Age: Inquisition, After having played more 2014 games after, my GOTY ended up being The Evil Within which.... yeah. I mean don't get me wrong, I really do love TEW but having it be GOTY says something about that year.

Azoor

Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait
2014 was a weak year despite having Bayonetta 2, Dark Souls 2, Rayman Legends, Shovel Knight.

Years from 2015 until now have been crazy though.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
You all saying 2014 when that year had Smash Bros. 4, Bayonetta 2, Guilty Gear Xrd and Wolfenstien The New Order? Man, you all are weird.

Now 2012, that's a year that's pretty bad in the long of it. It still had some good games (Xenoblade, Journey and Persona 4 Golden). But it was pretty weak on the whole.

NinjaCoachZ

Oct 26, 2017
You all saying 2014 when that year had Smash Bros. 4, Bayonetta 2, Guilty Gear Xrd and Wolfenstien The New Order? Man, you all are weird.

All the best games in 2014 were the ones no one played and that is what confirms that humanity brings suffering upon itself.

Bayonetta 2 being the first game of the gen to get perfect 10/10 awards and then losing GOTY to Shadow of Mordor is still goddamn bananas.

hotcyder

Oct 28, 2017
Apart from Wolfenstien TNO, Alien: Isolation, Mario Kart 8, Smash 4 WiiU, DKC Tropical Freeze, Monument Valley, Threes and Geometry Wars 3 - 2014 I suppose qualifies.

Rosur

Oct 28, 2017
I would go with 2013 myself.

2014 wasn't great either but we did get a few good games like Hearthstone, Mario Kart 8, South Park, Alien: Isolation, Tales from the Borderlands and Forza Horizon 2.

Oct 27, 2017
On the one hand 2014 did have Mario Kart 8, but on the other we had slightly-above-mediocre big budget games like Shadow of Mordor and Dragon Age: Inquisition winning GotY awards. It was also a pretty slow first full year for current-gen consoles.

2012 was also pretty weak, I think? I can only think of Dragon's Dogma and Journey as the real stand-outs from that year.

2016 was bad

New cod failed
No mans sky
Far cry primal
SF5

Can't agree with this. Uncharted 4, Titanfall 2, Witcher 3 DLC, Overwatch, Hitman, Inside, Doom, Dishonored 2, and so on. I think you should judge a year on its best games - or lack thereof - as opposed to the biggest slip-ups. Even so, I think suggesting COD: Infinite Warfare was 'bad' is complete hyperbole.

Deleted member 12186

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The year of trash_dogs

Will give number two a try someday but still...that game did not turn out how I though.

Horrible driving for cars, I drove motorcycles whenever I could.

Joeyro

Oct 28, 2017
When a game like Shadow of mordor wins GOTY you know that year was terrible for gaming.

Oct 25, 2017
2014 was great if you had a Wii U. Tropical Freeze in particular is a masterpiece.

2016 was bad

New cod failed
No mans sky
Far cry primal
SF5

The best Hitman game ever, the fantastic The Last Guardian, the superb FPS campaigns of Doom and Titanfall 2, acclaimed sequels like Dishonored 2, Dark Souls 3, Forza Horizon 3 and Uncharted 4, REZ Infinite, fantastic indies like Inside and The Witness... nah, 2016 was great.

2015 and 2017 are the best though.

Last edited:

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
2015 was extremely boring for me, mostly bad spinoffs for series that I actually like (Danganronpa, Animal Crossing, Neptunia) with Mario Maker being the only real standout. I didn't mind 2014 as much as some people, but for big name releases it was definitely a poor year.

Never liked the Souls games, probably never will.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
2015 was extremely boring, mostly bad spinoffs for series that I actually like (Danganronpa, Animal Crossing, Neptunia) with Mario Maker being the only real standout. I didn't mind 2014 as much as some people, but for big name releases it was definitely a poor year.

Bloodborne, son.

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Ah yes 2014, the year that started the cRPG renaissance with games such as Divinity: Original Sin, Shadowrun: Dragonfall, Wasteland 2 and Lords of Xulima. And that's without mentioning Alien: Isolation, one of the best games of the generation.

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
I kind of view the whole period of the end of the 00's throughout the early 10's as a pretty dull period. That's when AAA hubris was at its peak (in terms of game design at least, not counting the dark ages of monetization we're heading into now) and alternative markets/scenes hadn't quite grown into the vibrant scale we see today. That was definitely the period where my purchasing habits took a huge slump.

tusharngf

Oct 29, 2017
Lordran
On the one hand 2014 did have Mario Kart 8, but on the other we had slightly-above-mediocre big budget games like Shadow of Mordor and Dragon Age: Inquisition winning GotY awards. It was also a pretty slow first full year for current-gen consoles.

2012 was also pretty weak, I think? I can only think of Dragon's Dogma and Journey as the real stand-outs from that year.

Can't agree with this. Uncharted 4, Titanfall 2, Witcher 3 DLC, Overwatch, Hitman, Inside, Doom, Dishonored 2, and so on. I think you should judge a year on its best games - or lack thereof - as opposed to the biggest slip-ups. Even so, I think suggesting COD: Infinite Warfare was 'bad' is complete hyperbole.

You are right but I was looking forward to these games.

ClivePwned

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I'd agree with 2014. Some good games but few standouts. Shadow of Mordor winning GOTY (I was really bored by it) was a symptom of a dullard year.

Oct 25, 2017
Ah yes 2014, the year that started the cRPG renaissance with games such as Divinity: Original Sin, Shadowrun: Dragonfall, Wasteland 2 and Lords of Xulima. And that's without mentioning Alien: Isolation, one of the best games of the generation.

Yeah, it's definitely an underrated year. Media giving GotY awards to games like Dragon Age and Mordor instead of more deserving titles didn't help.

Oct 26, 2017
2014 awful? Are you guys kidding me?
Bayonetta 2, Wolfenstein: The New Order, Wasteland 2, Divinity:Original Sin, Alien:Isolation, South-Park, TitanFall, Shovel Knight, Assetto Corsa and This War of Mine.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
People saying 2014 are craycray. Or single platform gamers who bet on the wrong system.
2014 awful? Are you guys kidding me?
Bayonetta 2, Wolfenstein: The New Order, Wasteland 2, Divinity:Original Sin, Alien:Isolation, South-Park: The Stick of Truth, TitanFall, Shovel Knight, Assetto Corsa and This War of Mine.
+ Mario Kart 8!! One of the best games ever.

2013 was kind of crap, but I'm going with 2016, an absolute snoozefest. I ended up calling Pokemon Go my game of the year, because it was the only game doing something interesting.

Joffy

Oct 30, 2017
2014 sticks in my mind purely because Shadow of Mordor was scooping up game of the year awards left, right and centre. Not a terrible game by any stretch, but when it's in the conversation for best game you know there's been a weak lineup. Fortunately it saved for me because I held off from buying GTAV until the remaster. It ended up being a great November! Although now I see Wolfenstein, Divinity. Alien and South Park all launched that year, perhaps my memory has been tainted by the games which actually won the awards.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah both 2014 and 2012 were just "meh'. However, both years did allow 'Indies' to shine with games like Journey and The Walking Dead winning GOTY awards. Despite a strong Wii U Output in 2014 a floundering platform hindered the potential of exposure of high-quality content.