• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 29, 2017
For me it's either 2012 or 2016. 2012 Had very little in quantity, but did bring Journey and TWD which were standout, revolutionary games (TWD in retrospect perhaps more for what it did than how it did it). 2016 Had a lot of quantity but nothing that stood out.

I guess I prefer quality over quantity, so I'm going with 2016 as the worst year.

This one is the best though.

butterbutt!

Oct 27, 2017
2014. Outside of very enthusiast sites the GOTY winners were Shadow of Mordor and Dragon Age Inquisition. In consideration for GOTY they'd be eaten alive this year.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DKC: Tropical Freeze as well, what a great year for the Wii U. And yet Shadow of Mordor / Dragon Age still walked away with all the GotYs. smh.

2014 also had my GOAT, Shovel Knight, so 2012 it is.
good point.
2014 its really the reason why i dont trust in goty anymore. at this point its a political award more than anything

Flon

Is Here to Kill Chaos
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I'm going to go with 2014. I spent most of it catching up on decade old games.

That's not to say that it was completely barren from titles I enjoyed; Smash Bros. for Wii U and Wolfenstein: The New Order are both standouts. It was just a slow year.

Last edited:

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
The way schmoozing works in the US gaming press, they probably would have given EA's big open world RPG the GOTY award with this year's field as well. Quality had little to do with it.

No one in their right mind could possibly give Andromeda a GOTY, whatever the category. But then, that's what I thought in 2014 with Inquisition as well.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
2014 was bad if you didn't own a Wii U. Mario Kart 8, Bayonetta 2, Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze, Smash Bros., Shovel Knight, Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker, all great games. Seeing Shadow of Mordor and Dragon Age walk away with all the awards while games like MK8 and Tropical Freeze were left in the dirt just baffles me to this day.

2012 was the real bad one. I understand why people love Journey, but it left no lasting impact on me. Same with The Walking Dead. Dishonored was pretty great, and NSMBU was a lot better than I had expected. Apart from that...ehhh...

We're in a similar place with this.

Anyone answering with 2014 clearly didn't own a Wii U and didn't get to experience its peak. On the Wii U it was heaven. It was also Hearthstone's first and freshest year, before it was inundated with expansion creep or hampered by lengthy stretches of a stale and homogenized metagame.

2016 was probably the barest in recent memory, especially for a Nintendo-centric player, and I'm someone who strongly liked Star Fox Zero. For me the year was propped up almost entirely by Fire Emblem Fates, the Factorio alpha, and Stardew Valley. In a way I'm glad those had room to breathe to the tune of several hundred hours combined, as they deserved it, and I didn't mind the dearth of competition. It was a good year to play the hell out of a very small selection of games.

2012 felt rather dire: I don't think I got much out of that vintage at all outside of NSMBU, XCOM: EU, and Mark of the Ninja, and the first two come off as better games now than they did at release thanks to their respective expansions in 2013. Oh, I suppose Xenoblade (NA) is in there too. Let's see what else I associate with that year: Borderlands 2, Mists of Pandaria, Kid Icarus: Uprising, Nintendo Land, Diablo III, The Walking Dead—well, all right, I spent a fair bit of time with all of these and maybe it wasn't as empty a year as I remember (and I caught up on several of these titles long after their release), but place this next to most other years since and the bulk of these games would have trouble competing for a spot on my year-end shortlist. Lots of competence across the board, a few audacious gems that were exemplary but flawed or limited in scope, and no real unqualified masterpieces. I think it strikes me as a bad year because the peaks were not that high and even my favourites were replete with shortcomings or reservations. Most of its offerings, decent as they were, felt ephemeral and just wore off.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Using GOTYs to decide worst year is very disingenuous
Just because media outlets bandwagoned one or two mediocre popular franchises doesn't mean it was the only shit that released this year

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
2 0 1 4

The year that makes me regret getting a PS4 on day one, I almost want sell the damn thing.

The Project Beast thread on NeoGAF bring me more joy and excitement than anything I played that year.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
We're in a similar place with this.

Anyone answering with 2014 clearly didn't own a Wii U and didn't get to experience its peak. On the Wii U it was heaven. It was also Hearthstone's first and freshest year, before it was inundated with expansion creep or hampered by lengthy stretches of a stale and homogenized metagame.

Which would be the majority of people then.

But yea, Wii U had a great 2014 that the greater market/media didn't recognize.

Deleted member 4067

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
2014 was pretty great. Smash Bros, Bayonetta 2, Mario Kart 8, DK Tropical Freeze, The Evil Within, Wolfenstein, PT.

Worst year was probably 2013 for me. The Last Of Us and Bioshock were ok, and Mario was good, but that was it.

Tophat Jones

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
2014 for sure. But at least it had the 'new console generation' excuse

2016 has so many disappointing games, and no excuses. But it also had Overwatch and UC4 which are all time greats for me personally.

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
2012 easily
2014 if you didn't have a Wii U

What did 2013 even have ? PS4/XB1 launches were trash

The Last of Us
GTA V
Bioshock I
Ni No Kuni
Tomb raider Reboot
A link between Worlds
Mario 3D World