• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Catvoca

Oct 25, 2017
2012 for me. 2014 had a handful of titles that I like a lot (Talos Principle, Danganronpa 1 and 2, Hearthstone, Dark Souls 2, South Park) but looking back on 2012, there really isn't much that I cared for.

Semfry

Oct 25, 2017
2012 easily. There are some great games there, but overall, even in retrospect where the weaker stuff is filtered out it lacks in quantity vs everything around it. 2014 is the runner up but I can think of several games I'd rank over almost everything in 2012. They're also both years heavily carried by indie and lower budget stuff (+Nintendo), and I think 2014 blows away most of 2012 in that regard too.

gigaslash

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
2015 was really boring. Not much memorable except for Bloodborne, Fire Emblem If and Ryuu ga Gotoku 0. Meh

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
These threads are always so silly because you pick a random year and it had incredible games released in it. Just because you didn't personally like the games that were big (or not so big) that year doesn't make them any less incredible.

2013 was so weaksauce, you guys. Metro: Last Light, Crysis 3, Grand Theft Auto V, Shadow Warrior, Bioshock: Infinite, Call of Juarez: Gunslinger, Call of Duty: Ghosts (screw you brahs, it had a great campaign), Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag, The Last of Us, Tomb Raider 2013, Arkham: Origins, Splinter Cell: Blacklist, Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, Ryse: Son of Rome, Devil may Cry --- there was just nothing NOTABLE released in 2013. Just this wasteland of gaming.

HMS_Pinafore

Oct 25, 2017
Straya M8
2012 < 2016 < 2014 < 2015 < 2011 < 2013 < 2017

I feel like 2014 is better then it's getting credit for, but I guess the best games were on the console that no one bought.

Last edited:

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Agreed with others saying 2014. I thought Dragon Age Inquisition was terrible and it won a stack of GOTY that year, so yeah.
Dragon Age: Inquisition won a stack of GOTY awards because I really don't think you can name a single open world RPG that offers a comparable experience. I understand not liking DA: Inquisition, but RPGs of its calibre, with player created characters and reams of well acted, quite well written dialogue, are rare. It's not exactly a mystery why the game was so well received.

Bman94

Oct 28, 2017
Nah, 2014 was amazing. Bayonetta 2, Smash 4, Hyrule Warriors, Wolfenstein: The New Order, Mario Kart 8, Forza Horizon 2, Sunset Overdrive, Pokemon Omega Ruba/Alpha Sapphire. Tons of quality and top tier games that year.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
I'll echo the people that say 2014. Low on games that caught my personal interest, I think most of that year was dota 2 for me.

Jaxar

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Dragon Age: Inquisition won a stack of GOTY awards because I really don't think you can name a single open world RPG that offers a comparable experience.

We'll have to agree to disagree on that one. I'm a massive RPG fan and I dropped DA:I after about 40 hours due to sheer boredom. That game for me is the definition of 'quantity over quality'.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
2014 was terrible. I was basically Nintendo-only that year, and even then I was disappointed.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
2014 had bayonetta 2, smash bros 4 (3DS and WiiU) and mario kart 8.. those games happened to be on a failed platform that nobody cared about.

floridaguy954

Oct 29, 2017
2012 would be my choice. Looking back on it, that was a shitty year for games. Let me scrape together the standout titles:

Dishonored
Journey
The Walking Dead
Fez
Dragon's Dogma
New Super Mario Bros. U
Persona 4 Golden
XCOM: Enemy Unknown
Tokyo Jungle
Max Payne 3
Gravity Rush
Hotline Miami
Mark of the Ninja
Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward

Well, there were some gems, but it was a weak year overall.

2014 would be my next choice.

This.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who liked Shadow of Mordor and Inquisition, I can't say 2014. It was so much fun by the end of the gen! I spent the last four months of that year having a blast.

Honestly, I guess it'd have to be 2013. Arkham Origins and Tomb Raider were OK, but can't compare to 2015-present at all.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't remember a single new game I bought in 2014. I'm sure that there was one or two, but nothing that stands out.

Oct 28, 2017
2014 was an absolutely fantastic year. The indie svene thrived to a ridiculous level. My quality Vita library grew to insanity in 2014. It was arguably Vita's best year. Only in the AAA space was 2014 a weak year .

Deleted member 15911

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I never had a PC that could run anything after 2010, so I never got into the PC games. But, for me, the weakest year was probably around 2014 or so. I had no interest in the wii u, the 3DS, the xbox one, the ps4, the vita, none of it appealed to me at all. If I didn't have a backlog of retro games to play, I probably would've stopped playing games for the whole year.

Fingerthing

Oct 27, 2017
2014 was generally poor for the AAA space - what with the glitch crisis and all - but there were a lot of enjoyable indie titles.
On the other hand, I remember that year much more for the discourse surrounding the year. It was the start of GamerGate, and people got really, really serious about video games. So, despite thinking 2012 or 2013 were arguably worse in terms of game releases, I'd say the overall community brings the year down as the worst.

Last year was really poor too, especially now in the light of 2017.

Last edited:

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
2016 was a horrible year in my opinion. I can only remember getting maybe 2 games for PS4 and 1 Wii U game. Thankfully the best year of all time followed it.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
My first thought was 2014, but thinking back on 2012 there is a great case to be made for that year not leaving an indelible mark either.

OneAndOnly

Oct 23, 2017
2012 is the worst year in gaming in recent memory. The generation lasted for too long and games kept getting delayed. A lot of games, like Halo 4 and (launch) Diablo 3 ended up being major disappointments. The Wii U had a pretty lackluster launch and the 3DS really didnt have a lot of great titlea around that time either. Probabpy my most played system of that time period was the Vita, but that was mostly because of The Pinball Arcade.

2014 wasn't that great either but at least Nintendo brought their A game with Wii U titles.

Oct 27, 2017
Idk about weakest I guess 2014.
I would say the one I most under appreciated was 2012. I went all in on Wii U hype (lol) and saved for six months. Loved playing Nintendo Land, Blops 2, Zombi U and NSMBU that holiday but there was so much more elsewhere too.

Halo 4 ( I liked it), Forza Horizon, Sleeping Dogs, Dishonored. Was a better year than I think it gets credit for.

I think RE: Revelations was 2012 and Kid Icarus too

gogosox82

Oct 25, 2017
2014 was actually a really good year. Its just that the GOTY awards went to medicore games like Shadow of Mordor and Dragon Age: Inquistion. 2014 had Bayonetta 2, Wolfenstein: The New Order, Divinity: Original Sin, Wasteland 2, Titanfall, Shovel Knight, Alien: Isolation, Legend of Grimrock 2, Mario Kart 8. Those are some damn good games I just listed and I'm sure there are more that I'm forgetting. Its a shame that the media didn't give these other games more regonition but I look fondly back at 2014. I think 2012 was kind meh honestly.

RogersBase

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I was going to say 2012 because I initially remember that year being notorious for games that failed to deliver and its two most critically acclaimed games, The Walking Dead and Mass Effect 3, left me incredibly underwhelmed.

But then I actually went back and looked at what released in North America in 2012 and six games in particular stood out to me...
  • Gravity Rush
  • Journey
  • Katawa Shoujo
  • Kid Icarus: Uprising
  • PokĂ©mon Black Version 2 and PokĂ©mon White Version 2
  • Xenoblade Chronicles
That list includes two of my favorite RPGs of all time (Xenoblade and Pokemon BW2), two incredibly unique handheld experiences with killer soundtracks (Kid Icarus and Gravity Rush), my favorite visual novel of all time (Katawa Shoujo) and, the quintessential argument for games as art, Journey.

While that lineup of titles might not necessarily appeal to a wide audience, each of those experiences left a much greater impact on me than almost all of the heavy hitters of 2013 with the only four exceptions being BioShock Infinite, Metal Gear Rising, Pikmin 3 and Animal Crossing: New Leaf (the last of which was actually released in 2012 in Japan).

EDIT: Despite releases like Bayonetta 2, Dark Souls II, Mario Kart 8 and Smash Bros. for Wii U & 3DS in 2014, I still have to give the edge to 2013 for ACNL since I sunk 600+ hours into that game. As much as it pains me to say it, 2014 gets my vote.

Last edited:

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
It's a toss up between 2012 and 2014. I remember Q4 2011 being all kinds of mad, and 2013 slayed all-round, especially thanks to the 3DS.

MrS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely 2012, though Max Payne 3 multiplayer is GOAT.

2014 was a great year: Destiny, Wolfy, The Evil Within and Dark Souls 2 are all superb.

Luxorek

Oct 25, 2017
Poland
If you weren't into cRPG revival then it would obviously be 2014. Shadow of Mordor was so painfully average with the only interesting thing being its Nemesis system. And I have little good to say about that year's majority GOTY Dragon Age: Inquisition which I found to be a step-back from Dragon Age Origins in almost every way.

gow3isben

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
2014 by a long shot. Years got progressively better since then. And looking at 2018 that trend will continue.

AnxietyPlus

Oct 27, 2017
2014 had bayonetta 2, smash bros 4 (3DS and WiiU) and mario kart 8.. those games happened to be on a failed platform that nobody cared about.

DKC: Tropical Freeze as well, what a great year for the Wii U. And yet Shadow of Mordor / Dragon Age still walked away with all the GotYs. smh.

2014 also had my GOAT, Shovel Knight, so 2012 it is.

Javier23

Oct 28, 2017
I, for one, loved 2014. Alien Isolation, The Evil Within, MGS:GZ, Wolfenstein, Divinity: OS, Tales from the Borderlands, Wasteland 2, Banner Saga, and plenty more.

Can't really think of any year I didn't get something I really liked, but I am non-ironically very fond of 2014.

JoRu

Oct 25, 2017
2014 was bad if you didn't own a Wii U. Mario Kart 8, Bayonetta 2, Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze, Smash Bros., Shovel Knight, Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker, all great games. Seeing Shadow of Mordor and Dragon Age walk away with all the awards while games like MK8 and Tropical Freeze were left in the dirt just baffles me to this day.

2012 was the real bad one. I understand why people love Journey, but it left no lasting impact on me. Same with The Walking Dead. Dishonored was pretty great, and NSMBU was a lot better than I had expected. Apart from that...ehhh...