• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wii U support for Switch that works only in docked mode, with a controller needing to be tethered by USB to the dock. All games are download only, and previous purchases do not carry over.

Voxl

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A Switch Pro - launching this summer. Would presumably kill all momentum the switch has at this point.

JCal

Oct 27, 2017
Los Alfheim
Metroid Prime 4 will feature a new protagonist.

"Bounty hunter Locke must track down the legendary Samus Aran as her loyalty is called into question. What exactly happened to the 'baby?' "

Deleted member 30151

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Their online service works only with a phone and is more than PSN/Xbox Live.

Well, their prices are already listed (guess 20 Euro for a year subscription in Europe was it?) so they most likely won't change their minds about it. Combining it with a Smart-Device only would be the most horrible and absurd decision :D

"We've added our own version of Achievements/Trophies!"

:(

Actually, every company created their own version of this stuff. Nintendo must create their own version to present anything at all^^

unagi

Oct 27, 2017
tiqQC1Fq-SI.jpg

Russian official Nintendo store just said that news about Janury Direct are coming soon!

Boy: What about January Direct?
Nintendo Store: Hello! Follow the news - its coming soon!

Raina

Oct 25, 2017
Only Nintendo characters should be in a Smash Bros. games, in my opinion. This game should be a celebration for Nintendo, I do not want to see things like Cloud (tell me a game that he was the protagonist in a Nintendo system).
-_-
I can understand your gripes with Cloud but many of the Smash Bros 4 third party characters have ties with Nintendo. Bayonetta 2 was a Wii U exclusive, and Street Fighter and Mega Man dominated the NES and SNES. There have been tons of Bomberman games released on Nintendo platforms over the years so he feels like a good fit.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Vitality sensor is reannounced with a release date, and is needed to access VC library.
You can only play VC games if you are calm. If you get too excited playing the game you will be asked to purchase a newer game because VC games are too cheap for you to have such a good time playing them.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cancelling metroid prime 4 would not be such Bad news. The last one (federation force) sold badly and the metroid franchise itself is dying (samus returns also sold badly despite good reviews). I doubt that many people care outside of a very specific fraction of the nintendo audience.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Nintendo already does achievements on mobile games through My Nintendo. There's no doubt Switch will have some sort of achievement system, though probably not near as fleshed out as Xbox or PlayStation.

dylaneno

Nov 24, 2017
Metroid Prime 4 development switched over to the New 3DS. Launches with Metroid edition New 2DS.

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I loved Donkey Konga and Jungle Beat :) Other M I also enjoyed, but was of course worse than the Prime trilogy.

You know, it's not ridiculous, it's not rocket science - it's personal preferences. I'm not a big fan of 2D platformers, I think Nintendo consoles have enough 2D platformers for my taste between Kirbies and Yoshis, I admire Retro's talent so it's only logical I would like them to work on something else. No bias, no hidden agenda, no trolling or hate. I simply want one of my favorite developers to work on a genre I would enjoy most.

Another reason: resource management. There are quite a few studios within and around Nintendo that can make great 2D platformers (Nintendo themselves, Good Feel, HAL, perhaps Monster Games) while there are few who are capable of developing epic, Western-style, AAA titles. DKC 3 can be made by Retro, but can be made by someone else and not suffer in terms of quality. A new 3D AAA (mature or at least more realistic than DK/Mario) adventure game will be made either by Retro/a third-party developer, or won't be made at all. Announcement of Retro's DKC3 would mean probably the latter.

Now can you see how it would be bad news for me?

I can see why it would be bad news if it's your personal preference, and that's completely fine. The issue is Other M and Jungle Beat were not good investments for Nintendo, and seeing how long Donkey Kong and Metroid went through those same, similar dry spells doesn't give me confidence they could find someone to make Donkey Kong Country right away. For example, all the developers you mentioned are currently busy. So that would leave Donkey Kong on the back burner again, just like Star Fox currently is.

Tezu

Oct 25, 2017

Usually I don't give a damn about Achievements. But man, I'd love to see a Nintendo version called Stars. Bronze Stars, Silver Stars and Gold Stars (a.k.a Platinum).

That would be a good way to make me more interested about doing achievements. I want all the gold stars.

Kaxi

Oct 30, 2017
Poland
I can see why it would be bad news if it's your personal preference, and that's completely fine. The issue is Other M and Jungle Beat were not good investments for Nintendo, and seeing how long Donkey Kong and Metroid went through those same, similar dry spells doesn't give me confidence they could find someone to make Donkey Kong Country right away. For example, all the developers you mentioned are currently busy. So that would leave Donkey Kong on the back burner again, just like Star Fox currently is.

I respect that you disagree, but please don't assume some ill intentions on my side.

For me, Star Fox is on a backburner rightfully, because it hasn't had a really good game at least since Adventures, and arguable since SF64. IMO the series would need a complete redesign, because talking animals are so grotesquely 1990s that they will make any SF game very niche from the get-go.

After two great DKCs by Retro, I wouldn't mind a rest for the series, due to reasons listed in the previous post. Also since the formula for rebooted DKC has already been established by Retro, I believe a slightly less skilled but still good developers could make a third one.

Sidenote: AFAIK Monster Games have no announced projects for N at the moment.

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I respect that you disagree, but please don't assume some ill intentions on my side.

For me, Star Fox is on a backburner rightfully, because it hasn't had a really good game at least since Adventures, and arguable since SF64. IMO the series would need a complete redesign, because talking animals are so grotesquely 1990s that they will make any SF game very niche from the get-go.

After two great DKCs by Retro, I wouldn't mind a rest for the series, due to reasons listed in the previous post. Also since the formula for rebooted DKC has already been established by Retro, I believe a slightly less skilled but still good developers could make a third one.

Sidenote: AFAIK Monster Games have no announced projects for N at the moment.

No worries. It's all fine. I can understand why anyone would want Retro to try something new. It's Retro after all. I definitely think they need find the right people for Star Fox, and Donkey Kong I would like see get the Odyssey or Zelda treatment. It's been almost 2 decades since DK64, so it could be interesting to see another attempt at a 3D Donkey Kong title. If anyone could do it, it would be the team thst successfully brought Metroid the third dimension. So a 2D Donkey Kong from Retro to me, would be pretty disappointing.

I think Monster had been busy with the Nascar license, but I could be wrong. Whatever Retro is working on should be exciting.

Kaxi

Oct 30, 2017
Poland
No worries. It's all fine. I can understand why anyone would want Retro to try something new. It's Retro after all. I definitely think they need find the right people for Star Fox, and Donkey Kong I would like see get the Odyssey or Zelda treatment. It's been almost 2 decades since DK64, so it could be interesting to see another attempt at a 3D Donkey Kong title. If anyone could do it, it would be the team thst successfully brought Metroid the third dimension. So a 2D Donkey Kong from Retro to me, would be pretty disappointing.

I think Monster had been busy with the Nascar license, but I could be wrong. Whatever Retro is working on should be exciting.

I'd welcome a new 3D Donkey Kong from retro as well, I limited my disappointed to the third DKC from them.

As for the Monsters, they did release one last year, and one the year before that, but it didn't stop them from working on Nintendo projects at the same time in the past. So far they did smaller, handheld projects (Pilotwings, Donkey Kong, Xenoblade 3D) apart from co-developing Tropical Freeze, but the long break from their latest N project for me is a clue for the theory they're working alone for an HD project like a DKC3 for Switch. Provided N didn't stop working with them altogether.

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
A brand new Zelda (or any major release, really)... exclusively for the 3DS. Please just focus on Switch going forward Nintendo, I'm begging you. :(

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
- A new 3ds exclusive
- new 3ds model
- a switch "pro"
- VC but games has to be rebuyed
Oh and of course
- online subscription program for N online play, but not games gifts like for other services

blue_phazon

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Retro Studios making fucking Donkey Kong.

I know everyone loves their Donkey Kong games but I couldn't get into them.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Serious answer for me personally: More ports. I have a Wii U and many games for it. I don't need all of them on my new console. Give me new stuff.

Regiruler

Oct 28, 2017
United States
The worst thing that could happen is the announcement never comes.
They announce GameCube virtual console... for the Wii U.

A brand new Zelda (or any major release, really)... exclusively for the 3DS. Please just focus on Switch going forward Nintendo, I'm begging you. :(

Super Metroid/Links Awakening Remake for 3DS. Switch you know?

Pokemon Star for 3DS

Sega releasing Dayonta USA, Sega Rally and Scud Race... for 3DS
This is some petty shit.
The direct starts like this:

400px-SSB4_Trailer_Intro.gif

We proudly present... new DLC for Smash Wii U / 3DS
This is some extra petty shit because people still play this.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Only Nintendo characters should be in a Smash Bros. games, in my opinion. This game should be a celebration for Nintendo, I do not want to see things like Cloud (tell me a game that he was the protagonist in a Nintendo system).
-_-

Smash doesnt need a big wall. It started with just nintendo characters and it has now grown into something much bigger than that. I will never understand the "nintendo characters only" types.