• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gnorman

Banned
Jan 14, 2018
Wanting to know about a gaming companies internal power struggles and their roadmap for the future isn't normal!

Steiner_Zi

Oct 28, 2017
Some may dismiss it but it is true that there has been a step change in Sony's PR and communication in the last 2 years. Sony didn't use to be like that, they were present at all expos, let alone miss the biggest one, even organised their own and grabbed any chances they could get to dominate the news cycle. We've also seen them during late-gen in previous cycles and they used to be much louder. Announcing PS5 via a written article is the most anti-climactic thing they could've ever done.

Deleted member 4247

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We know more about the PS5 now than we did about the PS4 around the same time in 2013. It's not Sony's fault MS decided to blow their load early.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like OP wants Sony to talk about things they are not ready to talk about yet. I mean... That's marketing, they will announce stuff when the time comes, they have an entire marketing team planning all of this.

cheesekao

Dec 1, 2017
Some may dismiss it but it is true that there has been a step change in Sony's PR and communication in the last 2 years. Sony didn't use to be like that, they were present at all expos, let alone miss the biggest one, even organised their own and grabbed any chances they could get to dominate the news cycle. We've also seen them during late-gen in previous cycles and they used to be much louder. Announcing PS5 via a written article is the most anti-climactic thing they could've ever done.
You speak as if that article and a damn logo reveal didn't dominate the news cycle.

Steiner_Zi

Oct 28, 2017
You speak as if that article and a damn logo reveal didn't dominate the news cycle.
I didn't say it didn't, I said they've changed their ways of communicating and that the new way is pretty boring. It's like the new people in charge only care about the digital outreach and don't know/forgot how to actually get people excited.

BradleyLove

Oct 29, 2017
What year is it? Who's the President?

It's like 2013 all over again: Sony is doomed, and MS have the Midas touch.

iamandy

Nov 6, 2017
Brasil
I think the change in management structure so close to the launch of the PlayStation 5 (possibly the result of pressure from majority shareholders) has completely affected the company's established roadmap and they are giving it a hard time.

Jim Ryan commented a lot on Sony's "globalization", which I would actually call Americanization. And that should result in Sony correcting the course to align with what Microsoft has been doing. And this communication hole and clarity is the result of this inner transformation.

My only question is how they looked at Microsoft's business model and decided that it was right and better.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
Yeah. Sony PR has been poor. Random articles from disparate sources dont really lead to a consistent message. So hopefully they start putting some more cohesive messaging out.

dennett316

Nov 2, 2017
Blackpool, UK
"Why aren't Sony marketing at me more? God dammit I want a fucking DELUGE of ads, emails, texts, twitter posts and reveals to hype me the fuck up, send it directly to my eyes!! I'll sign up to have a chip inserted into my brain so I get the news the nanosecond it's published...HYPE ME UP BABY, HYPE ME UP!!!!!"

Damn man...some of you need to chill with how invested you are in the hype train. Their strategy has worked fine for them. Over-saturation of marketing is generally considered a bad thing, yet many in the gaming community seem to want more? It's bizarre.

cheesekao

Dec 1, 2017
I didn't say it didn't, I said they've changed their ways of communicating and that the new way is pretty boring. It's like the new people in charge only care about the digital outreach and don't know/forgot how to actually get people excited.
The reveal article got people plenty excited and so did the logo reveal. I'm talking in general here. Enthusiast forums aren't exactly accurate representations of the public at large.

Nov 15, 2018
If they disappoint in Feb. I'm pretty much done expecting anything from them. I'll still buy a PS5 but I'm probably going to be accepting of the fact that the business has changed.

Yea the way PS5 was announced was somewhat disappointing. Maybe I'm just old fashioned :/

H-I-M

Banned
Apr 26, 2018
And yet they break the internet with every random news.
Imagine if they were actually trying?

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
It feels like they're shifting away from the old style to a more modern and effective approach. You hear everything if you follow them on social media, it's only those waiting for their news delivery via conferences and trailers who seem to be feeling confused.

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
People keep equating E3 to all conferences when as far as I know Sony was at every other major conference besides E3 last year.

The only reason I can think of someone would be upset about less advertising is for console war talking points especially for a product that is not even released yet.

No one ever articulates what we know so much more about of XsX than the PS5. From my vantage point the info is pretty equal.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
Sony not saying anything about the leak is bad.

I guess they will be like "arent our exclusives so cool!? Playstation is the best place to play! *cough* The last of Us 2 is launching on pc alongside ps4 *cough* Yea so the weather is nice outside right? Huh? Can I repeat tha-? I didnt say a thing! Playstation rules!!"

Midas

Oct 27, 2017

I guess they will be like "arent our exclusives so cool!? Playstation is the best place to play! *cough* The last of Us 2 is launching on pc alongside ps4 *cough* Yea so the weather is nice outside right? Huh? Can I repeat tha-? I didnt say a thing! Playstation rules!!"

Is this a serious post? I can't tell these days.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OP you're a good example of why Sony has remained quiet. Not to target you in a negative fashion but its pretty obvious people are chomping at the bit for more info and generating buzz without Sony needing to do anything but let a little info out here or there. Hell even rumors and potential leaks become huge stories overnight and amount to nothing a few days later because people want the new info so badly. Once they finally do reveal its gonna be huge.

Henrik

Jan 3, 2018
I think the change in management structure so close to the launch of the PlayStation 5 (possibly the result of pressure from majority shareholders) has completely affected the company's established roadmap and they are giving it a hard time.

Jim Ryan commented a lot on Sony's "globalization", which I would actually call Americanization. And that should result in Sony correcting the course to align with what Microsoft has been doing. And this communication hole and clarity is the result of this inner transformation.

My only question is how they looked at Microsoft's business model and decided that it was right and better.
How do you jump to conclusion with "globalization" as "Americanization" when they are skipping E3 and California based PSX event? Biggest US centric events are not on their roadmap.

Sometimes I don't get Resetera users' claims.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
suspense.gif

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The title says it all.
For last 2 year Sony have been really bad with communicating their ideas and plans for the future:
Poor State of Play showings;
Random PS5 articles;
No E3 or other big shows;
Absolutely zero communication about exclusives going to PC;
etc.

Which begs the question what Sony is even doing right now? Do they even have a future road map? Or they completely lost their vision for the gaming business? Is it because of the leadership shake up from not long ago?

What do you people think? How do you think they can make it better?
There's new people in charge at Sony, the people that were working at Sony in the ps3 years and early ps4 years have been replaced

Elephant

Nov 2, 2017
Nottingham, UK
As soon as the PS5 is revealed, probably next month, they'll have a LOT to talk about.

Do you want them to show off The Last of Us and FFVII for the millionth time? They've had nothing to talk about that warrants a full conference. Everything will be saved for the reveal and pre-launch events, because it just makes sense.

Will it be good? No idea. But that'll be your communication and all the "lost hype" will be back.

The dramatics in this thread are laughable.

Loadout

Oct 26, 2017
Israel
Poor State of Play showings - I think their SOP showings are gradually improving. The last one was rather good.
Random PS5 articles - I don't see how this form of communication is necessarily bad.
No E3 or other big shows - They did vaguely comment on this one, it's obvious that they're preparing event(s) to make up for their E3 no show, you can't really hold the fact that they're not announcing their E3 replacement so far ahead against them.
Absolutely zero communication about exclusives going to PC - Well obviously they didn't expect it to get leaked, and they're probably not ready to talk about it, which I understand. And let's not act like it's a lingering thing, up until yesterday anyone who suggested the possibility of HZD releasing on PC was considered a lunatic.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Subjective. Just because they're not Nintendo Directs doesn't mean they're "poor." FFVII and RE3 was dope as shit.

I guess a top 1,400 website globally with 19.3M readers digitally and 3.1M in print in 2018 is a "random" outlet.

I guess gamescom with its 373,000 in attendance isn't a "big show." Nor is Tokyo Game Show with its 262,076 attendance. No big shows, nosiree.

You can't just expect a full court press on PS5 communication based on a rumor that happened very recently when PS5 hasn't even been showcased.

We're ten months away from the expected release of the PS5 yet a bajillion games are due to come out. Relax; there's plenty enough time.

Good lord, forum braining is bad.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
PS5 exclusive shown.
SSD confirmed with demo on Spider-Man.
SOP for some great reveals like RE3 and FF7.
Backwards compatibility confirmed.
Logo revealed.
Have been to several large trade conferences
Continue to show off Dreams and Ghost of Tsushima footage.

So basically they aren't going to E3 and haven't done a hardware reveal or any interviews yet, most likely to do a big blow out.

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
Did you not see the entire press conference dedicated to the PS5 logo reveal?

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
In 6 months, why won't Sony shut up threads. "I can't go outside without being bombarded by PS5 ads and articles"

Deleted member 35204

Banned
Dec 3, 2017
Sony's messaging has indeed been lacking compared to Microsoft's this time around.
Whether is technical information about the hardware or just hypebuzz or even a supposed roadmap it seems that in each of these categories Microsoft has the upper edge.

Let's sum it up... Microsoft in this period had:
Name and logo
Rumored roadmap/skus
New technical features (ssd and hw ray tracing)
Box design
Rumored performance values with supposed advantages to competition
Die shot of the chip
Random footage of titles supposedly in development

Sony in this period had:
Name and logo
Rumored performance values that are supposedly worse than the competition

It's a landslide imho, yeah sure we are almost a full 12 months from release but by now i would have expected even a reactionary release of info to counter all this nice stuff Microsoft had... instead the last thing we got was a bad piece of news with them saying that they won't be at E3.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Sony's messaging has indeed been lacking compared to Microsoft's this time around.
Whether is technical information about the hardware or just hypebuzz or even a supposed roadmap it seems that in each of these categories Microsoft has the upper edge.

Name and logo
Rumored roadmap/skus
Box design
Die shot of the chip

Sony in this period had:
Name and logo

It's a landslide imho, yeah sure we are almost a full 12 months from release but by now i would have expected even a reactionary release of info to counter all this nice stuff Microsoft had... instead the last thing we got was a bad piece of news with them saying that they won't be at E3.

These Sony need to react to Microsoft posts are pretty funny. The American bias of the forum shining through.

They're mind share is miles ahead and they've barely even started the hype cycle.

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro

Name and logo
Rumored roadmap/skus
Box design
Die shot of the chip

Sony in this period had:
Name and logo

Yeah, it's because Sony know they don't need to force marketing onto people because when ps5 and its exclusives are fully revealed, it'll be the talk for months until release. Why would they waste time, money and energy responding to MS when they don't need to? Apple don't do this and there's no reason for Sony to do it. I mean, the way people reacted to the ps5 logo should be pretty telling of why Sony is in a position where they don't need to spend resources to promote ps5 for now.

Malcolm9

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Unlike MS Sony don't need to shout from the rooftops to garner interest.

They'll have plenty of communication during the year anyway in regards to the PS5.

Deleted member 35204

Banned
Dec 3, 2017
Yeah, it's because Sony know they don't need to force marketing onto people because when ps5 and its exclusives are fully revealed, it'll be the talk for months until release. Why would they waste time, money and energy responding to MS when they don't need to? Apple don't do this and there's no reason for Sony to do it. I mean, the way people reacted to the ps5 logo should be pretty telling of why Sony is in a position where they don't need to spend resources to promote ps5 for now.

These Sony need to react to Microsoft posts are pretty funny. The American bias of the forum shining through.

They're mind share is miles ahead and they've barely even started the hype cycle.
*Their
I'm not American and prefer in general Sony's offering much more than the (imho) anemic Microsoft offering.
The market is very feeble, look at the last generation and how initially Microsoft had the biggest mindshare which deteriorated the latest years and immediately lost the immediate beginning of this generation, i'm not a catastrophist and am not saying that Sony has lost/will lose all the mindshare but what i'm seeing is that for more than one year now people in general seems very happy about Microsoft and very neutral about Sony and the latter's actions aren't doing them any favors.
Then sure of course maybe by the time Febraury ends, like some rumors say, you'll see Sony firing from all cylinders and flip the whole momentum but as the 17th of January 2020 that's how i see it.

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
*Their
I'm not American and prefer in general Sony's offering much more than the (imho) anemic Microsoft offering.
The market is very feeble, look at the last generation and how initially Microsoft had the biggest mindshare which deteriorated the latest years and immediately lost the immediate beginning of this generation, i'm not a catastrophist and am not saying that Sony has lost/will lose all the mindshare but what i'm seeing is that for more than one year now people in general seems very happy about Microsoft and very neutral about Sony and the latter's actions aren't doing them any favors.
Then sure of course maybe by the time Febraury ends, like some rumors say, you'll see Sony firing from all cylinders and flip the whole momentum but as the 17th of January 2020 that's how i see it.
People are not neutral about Sony, haven't you seem the wreck the logo caused in here and everywhere else? And, uh, Sony will only lose mindshare if they mess up badly, which will likely not happen. And, uh, why are you correcting people's spelling?

SgtCobra

Oct 25, 2017
What is up with OP and lack of communication?
Haven't seen him here since he made this thread.

chromatic9

Oct 25, 2017
Sony will have a show very soon I would've thought.

They can make a big splash that can override anything MS has done recently. We're only 17 days into 2020 and I think Sony have been waiting for the year. They don't want to pump out PS5 stuff towards the end of 2019. MS are in a different boat if you've seen the sales and software ratio.

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019

Oh man. Gotta love next gen hype cycle. From anticonsumer to this