• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bojanglez

Oct 27, 2017
I'm comparing it to what Microsoft has been doing with Project Scarlet and xCloud for years now. Comparatively Sony is not keeping me up to date with what their system will be like. For someone looking to potentially upgrade from PS4, it's not exciting me.

We know the new Xbox will be backwards compatible with all other Xbox's, and also crossplay with PC. We know project xCloud is coming (is here) and we will be able to stream from the cloud OR system to our tablets/phones. We know general specs, yes, which we know with PS5 too. We know the form factor now.

I can tell you most of this:
We don't know the new PS will be backwards compatible with all other PS, but they now fully support crossplay with PC. We know PSNow
is here and we can already stream from the cloud OR system to our tablets/phones and PCs. We know general specs, yes, which we know with Xbox too. We don't know the form factor now.

So basically we don't know to what level PS5 will support BC or the form factor. Everything else you mention is already live on PS to various degrees, so no need to mention that. I think you just need to chill and wait to hear what they have to say, when they are ready to say it.

I doubt anyone will make a decision based on the information either have put out there up to this point alone, most will be interested in price, release date and games and both are likely to reveal these in the next few months.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
I can tell you most of this:
We don't know the new PS will be backwards compatible with all other PS, but they now fully support crossplay with PC. We know PSNow
is here and we can already stream from the cloud OR system to our tablets/phones and PCs. We know general specs, yes, which we know with Xbox too. We don't know the form factor now.

So basically we don't know to what level PS5 will support BC or the form factor. Everything else you mention is already live on PS to various degrees, so no need to mention that. I think you just need to chill and wait to hear what they have to say, when they are ready to say it.

I doubt anyone will make a decision based on the information either have put out there up to this point alone, most will be interested in price, release date and games and both are likely to reveal these in the next few months.

Sorry I didn't mean crossplay, I meant Play Anywhere. Buy once play on Xbox or PC. Will Sony offer the same? Unclear.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
The worst part is: no consumer knows what the PS5 is. Is it a toaster? Does it have wheels? Can I download additional hardware? I'm so confused.

Great now I'm going to get pissed off and make a thread after the PS Meeting if the PS5 doesnt have any of these features you just made me think about

fossi8

One Winged Slayer
Apr 22, 2018
User warned: Drive-by Console warring
Man, I'm impressed with the PS fanboyism in the Horizon coming to PC and this thread.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
Sony got us by the balls! That's all. We just cant wait in this day and age where we want know everything asap.

Once they do their PS meeting we will be satisfied for a few more weeks lol...

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
I really don't understand what people want.

This bizarre preconceived notion that they should be in constant communication and/or be blowing out all their next gen plans RIGHT NOW, seems based on nothing at all other than weird impatience.

Even if they blew out all their information tomorrow, you would be looking at something like 8-11 months before you would be able to touch the console.

So why? Why does Sony need to be giving you a bunch of information right now?

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
lol, "absolutely zero communication about exclusives going to PC"

It hasn't even been confirmed or announced, what did you expect? Companies don't often adjust their marketing schedules by leaks or rumors.

Y'all need to chill, man.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
looks like a hive mind in here. I own all consoles. I am not biased or entitled. Sony doesn't act in a consumer friendly way in the US with their schedule of announcements recently. When they were losing against 360, they were much more loud and open about things they were doing. Now they they are winning against Xbox One, they just don't tell us anything because they don't need to - they've already gotten all the money.
Hive mind, how about some ppl bring rationale vs some wanting news every 4 hours.

Some of you act like we have....zero...information about the PS5. And I know some are concern trolling.

Let's not forget that Sony and MS are at different ends of the spectrum right now.

Sony still has a massive exclusive about to launch, with another potential massive exclusive. They are currently doing an Experience PlayStation month long event.

Reviews just went out for the DS4 back button accessory. Launching soon.

Sony still has PS4s to sell, MS wants the next gen to start soon. And I wouldn't be surprised if MS launched first.

Alot of times on this forum, and just online period, context is just thrown out the window.

It hasn't even been confirmed or announced, what did you expect? Companies don't often adjust their marketing schedules by leaks or rumors.

No, they must respond to EVERY leak, in 10 minutes.

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Sorry I didn't mean crossplay, I meant Play Anywhere. Buy once play on Xbox or PC. Will Sony offer the same? Unclear.

Dude, that's a rumor that spawned yesterday. We have no fucking idea whether or how they are planning to put their games on PC. You want them to react to every rumor out there? These are seriously some willy wonka ass expectations.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
Dude, that's a rumor that spawned yesterday. We have no fucking idea whether or how they are planning to put their games on PC. You want them to react to every rumor out there? These are seriously some willy wonka ass expectations.

What rumor? I am just asking a question based on services on other consoles.

Sol Mori

Jun 10, 2018
The worst part is: no consumer knows what the PS5 is. Is it a toaster? Does it have wheels? Can I download additional hardware? I'm so confused.

Sony is finally going to announce their George Foreman Grill collaboration with the PS5! Getting hungry while you game? Grill up a burger with your PS5.

The PS5™ is not dishwasher safe. Hand wash with warm water only. Do not attempt to use the PS5™ as a flotation device. The PS5™ is known by the State of California to cause cancer.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
They could have reached far more people revealing that information and generating buzz through a press conference or some other event. I don't see how it's a controversial opinion to think revealing key details about your new console through an unprepared text article on some random tech site isn't the best marketing.

None of this really matters since they'll have their Winter/Spring press conference where they actually reveal the system and show off a few games, and everyone will be happy. The way Sony has marketed the console up to now has been nothing short of dumb though

Your last statement contradicts the rest of your point. Nothing they did was dumb if even you admit it doesnt matter because they will do a conference and a blowout and that will be fine. Because they have drip fed info somehow thats a concern and dumb?

RossoneR

Oct 28, 2017
This leadership s lost. People whom made ps4 success re gone. My hype for ps5 s so low. Honestly im more excited for xsx and i havent had xbox since 360.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
You ask for crossbuy between console and PC and you want Sony to divulge info about it when they've never really supported the PC as a platform until yesterday's rumor. Yeah, that makes perfect sense.

I don't know about yesterday's rumor....? Play Anywhere is a key Microsoft plus, and I want to know if Sony will do it for the PS5.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Threads like this are going to look so silly when Sony announces their event. They're just waiting for the right time. No need to say anything until then.

Guymelef

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Spain

They were silent with Quantic Dreams games, or MLB, Death Stranding .. and they will be silent with Horizon once its been announced.

Sony needs be clear explaining its "vision" with PC games if they continue like this there will be a point when you can't blame anybody "begging" for God of War 2 on launch day on pc, etc...

Siinova

Oct 29, 2017
Lol this thread always pops up at some point every year and I literally make the same comment pointing it out.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I don't know about yesterday's rumor....? Play Anywhere is a key Microsoft plus, and I want to know if Sony will do it for the PS5.

Why would they talk about it if they had four generations of consoles without even an indication of Sony games ever going to PC? In the realm of info they'd be able to share, this is about the most unlikely one.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Their a company not a friend, GTFO out of here with needing to communicate, that's silly and childish, and unheard of in just about any other consumer industry. Of course this is the same group that think the definition of "anti-consumer" is "things that don't personally benefit me" so what do I expect.

Second Sony is communicating, just not to the general public because the people in the public space they are "communicating" with is all research and you will see the results when they do open up to the public because it's part of how they market.

Jan 20, 2019
They were silent with Quantic Dreams games, or MLB, Death Stranding .. and they will be silent with Horizon once its been announced.

Sony needs be clear explaining its "vision" with PC games if they continue like this there will be a point when you can't blame anybody "begging" for God of War 2 on launch day on pc, etc...

That makes no sense, if they dont want their games to come to pc they just need to say no, nobody is forcing them to do anything.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017

Those were both done by different publishers. The only thing that makes those cases novel is that they were originally Sony exclusives. If Sony ISN'T publishing the games, what is there for them to talk about? "Sony is proud to announce... that we've let some developers out of their exclusivity clauses?"

Microsoft has been the publisher on pretty much all the PC games that used to be Xbox exclusive. Even Recore and Sunset Overdrive were published by MGS. It makes sense that they'd talk about those games, especially since being on PC is a major plank of theirs and has been for years. I don't see why Sony would be talking about the same for their games, especially since the only evidence we have for Sony coming back to PC as a publisher is a two-day old rumor.

EDIT: Forgot about your mention of MLB. That was announced by joint press release with MLB and SIE; that's how we know about the change in the first place. And even then, the release says additional console platforms but does not clarify (obviously it's Xbox and Switch, but the release itself is careful not to mention specific platforms). It also doesn't mention PC. Also, the actual product that would be released on non-PS platforms hasn't even been announced yet.

kittens

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Threads like this are just another part of the generational transition between consoles. People always get itchy and impatient.

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
This sentiment always seems weird to me. They've talked about their next gen plans somewhat in articles on big websites, they have huge exclusives coming out this year for ps4, we'll be getting a playstation meeting sometime soon with a blowout for ps5. I'm not confused or yearning for more information at all, i know all i need to know.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
Worst case scenario, it's the return of #ArrogantSony and PS5 is doooomed!!!!!

Far more realistically: as someone in marketing I can tell you this: they are playing the long game. We are a bit 10 months out from the PS5 and they have no reason to lay it all out. They aren't as upfront as MS because they don't have to be, and at this point in 2013 less was known about PS4. Sony can't pull a SEGA and just surprise dump the things into stores, but they don't want a too-long hype cycle either. Sony could stand to improve their communication, but they are still mostly doing fine. If we don't hear about PS5 in extreme concrete details (i.e. an event) I'd be shocked. If we don't have firm details by June 30th I'd be worried.

Guymelef

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Those were both done by different publishers. The only thing that makes those cases novel is that they were originally Sony exclusives. If Sony ISN'T publishing the games, what is there for them to talk about? "Sony is proud to announce... that we've let some developers out of their exclusivity clauses?"

Microsoft has been the publisher on pretty much all the PC games that used to be Xbox exclusive. Even Recore and Sunset Overdrive were published by MGS. It makes sense that they'd talk about those games, especially since being on PC is a major plank of theirs and has been for years. I don't see why Sony would be talking about the same for their games, especially since the only evidence we have for Sony coming back to PC as a publisher is a two-day old rumor.

EDIT: Forgot about your mention of MLB. That was announced by joint press release with MLB and SIE; that's how we know about the change in the first place. And even then, the release says additional console platforms but does not clarify (obviously it's Xbox and Switch, but the release itself is careful not to mention specific platforms). It also doesn't mention PC. Also, the actual product that would be released on non-PS platforms hasn't even been announced yet.

Look we are in a point out of "excuses" to talk about why a game has a PC release. I'm going to quote Primethius here, a perfect resume.

Sony makes games for PS4/PC = "Sony is only putting multiplayer titles, don't worry about it, it makes sense.
Sony allows Heavy Rain/Detroit on PC ="They cut ties with the dev, it's fine, don't worry about it."
Death Stranding on PC ="It was always in the contract, no worries. It's fine!"
MLB goes multiplatform = "Licensing deal. Don't worry about it. It's fine."
Horizon Zero Dawn on PC = "It's fine, just old games! It's fine!"

What's next?

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Look we are in a point out of "excuses" to talk about why a game has a PC release. I'm going to quote Primethius here, a perfect resume.

What's next?

What's next is Sony eventually saying "yes we are announcing that Horizon: Zero Dawn will be coming to PC," probably? I don't understand what's so weird about that.

Like, are we positing here that Sony has some secret conspiracy skunkwerks PC publishing program they're not talking about because reasons? Also, what's the "it's fine" stuff about? If anything I want MORE Sony games to come to PC.

Mansa Mufasa

Jun 17, 2019
Toronto
Its because Sony has other things that it wants folks focusing on before this Gen is over. Namely The Last of Us 2, FFVIIR and Ghosts of Tsushima. Which will all most likely be Cross-Gen but why would you cannibalize your own sales when you can have folks just double dip (Unless BC is a thing)?

No disrespect to Microsoft but of course they want this gen to be over with. They've been comfortably been in 3rd since launch.

Andres

Oct 25, 2017
ITT: people who love marketing more than products for some reason
This is something I've noticed more and more around here. People don't want to just see a game and get excited. They want it presented to them during a giant PR event, on a stage where somebody spends 15 minutes talking before showing the trailer, and then a 30 second teaser where you can hear the crowd cheering when someone gets their head blown off in the trailer. I've seen people legit say they aren't as excited for a game unless it's presented in a real hype way like at e3 on stage and if it's leaked they don't care as much. It's really weird.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
I generally agree with the OP - however, I realize that my issue is more how they are communicating not how much.

It's a completely personal opinion. I feel like the marketing of all things PlayStation for the last couple years has been...scattershot. There haven't been any big, focal point events or conferences that hype up a lot of stuff at once. Instead, we get tweets, magazine articles, gaming shows occasionally, etc. it feels like there is no cohesive strategy to me because of this.

But I am not worried about PS5. Sony did a bang up job with PS4 and I believe we will get a big, Sony event soon that is exactly what people are weaning. Calm before the storm as others have said. As long as the last 2 years aren't their model for marketing forever, it's fine.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I really don't understand what people want.

This bizarre preconceived notion that they should be in constant communication and/or be blowing out all their next gen plans RIGHT NOW, seems based on nothing at all other than weird impatience.

Even if they blew out all their information tomorrow, you would be looking at something like 8-11 months before you would be able to touch the console.

So why? Why does Sony need to be giving you a bunch of information right now?

People just want to complain. They decide they dislike something and then work backwards to try and spin things to justify it.

The tone of this place is generally negative, and the negative stuff tends to get the most attention. Enthusiasts moreso than anyone else seem conditioned to be overly negative and cynical about everything.

calder

Oct 25, 2017
People are just annoyed by their own impatience, but instead of just saying that, want to try and frame it like some legitimate business concern. Like if Sony is forgetting they have a console launching this year or something. It's stupid.

So true. This thread has been unbelievable and yet, exactly like so many threads I've read going back to the PS2 reveal. Nothing changes, and yet it's still all a bit different.

Feb 10, 2018
I don't think the op's summary is accurate.

I mean, we know

• There exclusive line up, TLOU2 + GoT
  • We know nearly as much about the PS5 Hardware as the XsX.

MS have been a bit more vocal about there next gen plans, but we know more or less the same for each.

Snake Eater

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The title says it all.
For last 2 year Sony have been really bad with communicating their ideas and plans for the future:
Poor State of Play showings;
Random PS5 articles;
No E3 or other big shows;
Absolutely zero communication about exclusives going to PC;
etc.

Which begs the question what Sony is even doing right now? Do they even have a future road map? Or they completely lost their vision for the gaming business? Is it because of the leadership shake up from not long ago?

What do you people think? How do you think they can make it better?

Ask yourself, what difference does it make? Because this is ultimately about having no patience

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Feels like they are waiting for the PS5 reveal event to really start talking, it just seems odd because Microsoft has been so up front way earlier then normal about next gen. We are still 10 months out, they have plenty of time.

Prine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think I'll be asking the same thing if they're quiet during Feb. Definitely not a good look if they keep it up, no matter if your in pole position, no excuse to not involve fans more.

I don't think the op's summary is accurate.

I mean, we know

• There exclusive line up, TLOU2 + GoT
  • We know nearly as much about the PS5 Hardware as the XsX.

MS have been a bit more vocal about there next gen plans, but we know more or less the same for each.

Do we know specs ? At least broadly like we do for XSX? If not then your completely wrong, we dont know core parts of it, so it's nowhere near the equivalent of what we know about XSX at this stage. SSD and controller info isnt really the meat of the machine that people consider core info.

MisterR

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean we'll get a PS Meeting next month to announce the PS5. What in the hell is with all the panic? Relax, you'll know plenty about upcoming games and the PS5 before it releases.