• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Desma

Oct 27, 2017
Ok, so the PS4 got a few PS2 games that were running under emulation a few years back.
This emulation has a number of improvements over the original consoles, like trophy support, higher resolutions, better framerate and the like.

Here's a Digital Foundry video about the PS2 emulator on PS4:

However, even with these improvements, I've felt that the emulator was pretty lackluster, all things considered:
- Even with higher resolution, the games seem to only go up to 720p, instead of 1080p;
- Noticeable Input Lag for me;
- Some occasional stuttering (Probably due to these games running at 59.99fps instead of 60);
- Some very noticeable glitches compared to the original versions if you look for them.

But nothing really made me as sad as the lack of games for this service. The amount of PS2 games released is pretty low and for the longest time, I thought that Sony just didn't want to put in the effort for these games.

Well, earlier this year, Ace Combat 5 was released on the PS4 only as an early purchase bonus for Ace Combat 7, and surprisingly enough, it seems to use an updated version of the emulator:

- 1080p graphics (Wish it was 4K on Pro, tho);
- No noticeable Input Lag on my part;
- No stuttering;
- It's also using higher quality assets compared to the PS2 version (Very noticeable with text).

It's a way superior emulator compared to the previous version. And quite frankly, I don't get it.
Why just this one game that you can't even buy on the PS Store? How come they didn't even update the previous PS2 games to use this newer emulator? How come no newer were released? I don't understand why they put this extra effort into this one game.
Sure, if you were to ask me one PS2 game to put this extra effort, I would probably say Ace Combat 5. I still think it's one of the PS2 greats.

But with recent PS5 news, this really strikes me as extra odd. I can only hope they have more plans for the emulator on next-gen.

TheOne

Alt Account
Banned
May 25, 2019
I'm pretty sure the version they gave as a pre-order bonus with AC7 was running at 4K on the Pro.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
It seems like this is not the same emulator considering that they even replaced the save screen and doesn't show the PS2 memory card prompt anymore

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sony's treatment of its legacy this generation has been awful. And they topped it off with the PlayStation Classic.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This came with Ace Combat 7 preorder, right?
Do they sell it separately now?
Or did I miss this boat forever? :(

SoundCheck

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I still don't understand why they choose to launch this as a pre-order bonus instead of a deluxe edition bonus or stand alone. I think some people just don't like money.

ascii42

Oct 25, 2017
Emulated games doubled the native resolution in each direction, so a game that ran on the PS2 at 512x448 would run on the PS4 at 1024x896.

Noisepurge

Oct 25, 2017
I still don't understand why they choose to launch this as a pre-order bonus instead of a deluxe edition bonus or stand alone. I think some people just don't like money.

I think the reigning theory was that they can't sell it without re-licensing the planes used. And that would be too expensive. So they just "gave" it away as pre-order bonuses.

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This came with Ace Combat 7 preorder, right?
Do they sell it separately now?
Or did I miss this boat forever? :(
Missed it for good probably.

A lot of people in the thread for this before launch were adamant it would be out for all in a month. We're coming up on a year soon.
If you're lucky you might find a code if you buy a physical copy.
Code wasn't in the box, it was on the receipt (or email).

OP
OP
Desma

Desma

Oct 27, 2017

Mine came on the box
p_20191010_180550_vhd9djub.jpg

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
:(

I believe the Ace Combat Fires of Liberation pre-order bonus on Xbox One was the only way to (still?) get that game digitally. This made me pre-order the game on both PS4 and XB1.

You're off, forever and ever my man.

Man thst sucks :(

If you're lucky you might find a code if you buy a physical copy.
I'll try and look for one, does it say it's included on the actual box?

Missed it for good probably.

A lot of people in the thread for this before launch were adamant it would be out for all in a month. We're coming up on a year soon.

At the time, I was playing a few other games on my backlog and thought... Namco likes money... they'll release it separately.. makes zero sense why they haven't. Zero.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
AC5 on PS4 isn't using an emulator, it's a port. It's like 4 times the size of the original PS2 game.

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
At the time, I was playing a few other games on my backlog and thought... Namco likes money... they'll release it separately.. makes zero sense why they haven't. Zero.
Like someone else in the thread said, it's probably because they can't sell it without relicensing all the planes, so they just gave it away with pre-orders. Same thing happened with AC6 on Xbox One, but at least that was just 360 BC, so you can go find the disc and play it that way.

Also, it's not the first time Namco has ported a game and then just not sold it. DBZ Extreme Butoden on 3DS had a port of one of the Super Butoden games as a pre-order bonus. I think they also did the same thing with a Super Robot Wars game on 3DS, porting an old one for a bonus and then never selling it.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Like someone else in the thread said, it's probably because they can't sell it without relicensing all the planes, so they just gave it away with pre-orders. Same thing happened with AC6 on Xbox One, but at least that was just 360 BC, so you can go find the disc and play it that way.

Also, it's not the first time Namco has ported a game and then just not sold it. DBZ Extreme Butoden on 3DS had a port of one of the Super Butoden games as a pre-order bonus. I think they also did the same thing with a Super Robot Wars game on 3DS, porting an old one for a bonus and then never selling it.
:( Sounds final then. It's either I find a physical copy with it.. or never experience it on PS4 Pro.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
I purchased the digital deluxe edition like 3 days ago and i can download AC5.
Seems like this is being ignored. Someone but it and see of you still get it.

PSN or maybe publishers have this weird inconsistency where some digital titles come with the preorder dlc bonuses even if purchased outside the preorder phase.

For example I bought CTR about 3 days after release and still got the free preorder dlc. It was a nice surprise.

But then on the other hand, I bought Control the day of the release (missed the preorder phase) and did not get the bonus dlc. I was upset about this.

So it's not consistent but it would be a nice bonus if the preorder bonus AC5 can still be had by buying the deluxe or whatever copy.

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
- 1080p graphics (Wish it was 4K on Pro, tho);
It is 4k - or at least much higher res than AC7, I didn't pixel count it as such.

- No noticeable Input Lag on my part;
- No stuttering;
- It's also using higher quality assets compared to the PS2 version (Very noticeable with text).
Stuttering is game-dependant IME, and no emulator can update the assets for you - developers had to provide those. Sad thing is they even have PSP emulation with those features(high-res, asset-swapping, and high quality texture filtering) on a few releases, but still only select stuff.

I do agree it'd be nice to get the higher-resolution support for all emulated games - especially the interlaced games that look all too fuzzy on large panels due to lower vertical.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
maybe they are improving the emulator for the ps5

(let me dream)

btw someone @ the digital foundry guy, maybe he has a good insight

JohnnyToonami

Dec 16, 2018
Earth
Was this actually confirmed to be a port? I thought around the time it came out maybe in the AC7 OT, it was said to have been using an emulator.