• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What is your favorite BioWare franchise/IP

• Baldur's Gate

Votes: 31 11.4%
  • Neverwinter Nights

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

Votes: 37 13.6%
  • Jade Empire

Votes: 11 4.0%
  • Mass Effect

Votes: 149 54.6%
  • Dragon Age

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Anthem

Votes: 10 3.7%

• Total voters

Deleted member 7883

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd vote for KOTOR, but the Obsidian-made sequel is easily my fav of the duo. So I'm gonna vote for Jade Empire. Had a blast with that game as a kid. Almost beat it too, but I screwed myself over by neglecting to make any backup saves and kinda getting stuck in a near-endgame dungeon. I think I was fighting the silent baddie with the mask for the 2nd time... or the final boss for the 1st time.

Actually, that's exactly how I messed up and never beat KOTOR 2 either. Damn my childhood saving habits were terrible.

Acidote

Oct 26, 2017
In this forum it will inevitably be either Mass Effect or Dragon Age.

For me it's between Baldur's Gate and Mass Effect (and believe it or not, mostly because of the first one).

Reddaye

Mar 24, 2018
New Brunswick, Canada
I voted Mass Effect, but Baldur's Gate is a super, super close second. It could go either way depending on my mood.

Also much love for Jade Empire, but it hurts too much to think about.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
For me it's always going to be Baldurs Gate. It's what drew me into RPGs, was literally my first 'great' game I ever played.

After that I think Mass Effect and Dragon Age in equal measure.

OP
OP
Cosmic Voyager
Oct 24, 2019
In this forum it will inevitably be either Mass Effect or Dragon Age.

For me it's between Baldur's Gate and Mass Effect (and believe it or not, mostly because of the first one).

The first Mass Effect is one of my favorite games of all time, even though I realize ME 2 is objectively better in many ways. There was something so captivating about ME 1. It truly felt like a next-gen experience (that Citadel set-piece at the end? Oh my god that blew my mind) and the atmosphere was so intriguing. Slick and cool, but also very dark and messed up at times. It felt like a super refreshing sci-fi universe in a world dominated by Star Wars.

There aren't many games that I have vivid memories of playing for the first time, but I have almost photographic memory of certain nights playing Mass Effect 1. Elder Scrolls 4, Fallout 3, Halo 3, and Bioshock are the only other games from that time period that are similarly embedded into my memory/formative for me as a gamer.

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I think Mass Effect is the most interesting settinh but the high fantasy goodness of DA will always win out in my heart.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
Mass Effect.

Tried Dragon Age (both Origins and Inquisition, and found them incredible boring). I was always curious about Kotor, but have never played them.

Lord Vatek

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
Mass Effect or Dragon Age if we're talking about whole franchises.

I love Baldur's Gate II but not the first game so much.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Mass Effect for sure. The first one is so conceptually beautiful and atmospheric. The sequels lost some of the tone but gained some production values. Excellent series.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
I mean, is been like 15 years since the last installment. If they want the series to stay top of mind, it needs a new entry.
SWTOR their MMO is a continuation of the original KOTOR and got a new expansion like a month a go - it's also achieved a lifetime revenue of a $1 billion. So they are using the IP.

Mack

Banned
May 30, 2019
Mass Effect, especially the Shepard trilogy. Andromeda wasn't as good, but I still enjoyed it.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
Dragon Age helped me get over a bad breakup many years ago. Because of that it holds a very special place in heart. Hoping Bioware doesn't Screw up the next one :(

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
SWTOR their MMO is a continuation of the original KOTOR and got a new expansion like a month a go - it's also achieved a lifetime revenue of a $1 billion. So they are using the IP.

Yeah but that's a completely different genre. I love the original two but dislike SWTOR. It's not in the spirit the first two. A lot of people think of them as completely separate.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
Yeah but that's a completely different genre. I love the original two but dislike SWTOR. It's not in the spirit the first two. A lot of people think of them as completely separate.
They said IP/franchise in the title and it is the same IP/franchise? Mass Effect 2 and 3 are much more action then 1, and 3 also has multiplayer yet you don't see anyone saying they aren't the same IP.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
I'm generally more into fantasy than sci-fi, but the universe that BioWare created with Mass Effect just hit me like few others have. It's such a wonderfully realized world that I genuinely want to live in. I love those characters like my own family.

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
They said IP/franchise in the title and it is the same IP/franchise? Mass Effect 2 and 3 are much more action then 1, and 3 also has multiplayer yet you don't see anyone saying they aren't the same IP.

Multiplayer in ME is an additional game mode. It's not the main game. All three ME games are single player narrative, shooter/action RPGs.

You're not going to get most people to agree that KOTOR and SWTOR are the same thing.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
371B2DC3CCE435DF82C66BA29B42E4FBBC4BE3BA

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
I do enjoy Mass Effect and KOTOR a bunch, but I just loved the first Dragon Age game so unequivocally, it's still tops for me, despite lackluster sequels.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
Multiplayer in ME is an additional game mode. It's not the main game. All three ME games are single player narrative, shooter/action RPGs.

You're not going to get most people to agree that KOTOR and SWTOR are the same thing.
BioWare themselves called SWTOR "KOTOR 3-8" and it's a direct continuation of the story and features the main character of KOTOR pretty promeniently. Just cus you don't see it, doesn't make it most people, and pretty sure that the company considers it the same IP/franchise. Would you call ESO not part of the Elder Scrolls franchise? WoW not part of the warcraft IP?

Dandy

Oct 25, 2017
Dragon Age, but it's so close with Mass Effect. Heck, it's so close to KotOR too.

Agamon

Aug 1, 2019
I voted both to give some Mass Effect love, but also to see how many ironic votes Anthem was getting.