• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
Psychonauts because it has the best physics. The world, characters, writing, level design, and toolset in the game are all unparalleled in the genre. Ratchet games are up there as well.

2D platformers are generally pretty bad and less fun than 3D platformers, but Super Meat Boy still manages to be a perfect video game.

Billy Awesomo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
New York, New York
Super Mario 2 is my favorite platformer of all time, mainly cause I love the music in that game and Mouser is an awesome.
Mouser.jpg

Nov 4, 2017
I'd have to give it to DKC2 just for the soundtrack alone, but it's also got amazing level design, mechanics and style. DKC2.

SMB3, Mario World and Yoshi's Island thrown in whatever order based on how I'm feeling on the day. They're all superb.

Hey late 80s/early 90s kids, remember when everything was a platformer? I really feel like the market was flooded with platformers when I was a kid.

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
Cliche but Super Mario 64 is it. Great designs, great controls, great music, lots of content, it's just the greatest.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
At the time of release, maybe Sonic 3 & Knuckles. I played through that game so many times as a kid. It was just such a massive game with top level design and music for the franchise. However, I don't consider it the best one out there in 2019. Game developers have just been given more/superior resources and tools to create better games so I'd prefer something like Tropical Freeze, Ori or even Sonic Mania. Favorite in my heart though: S3&K.

If talking 3D platformers then Mario 3D World and Astro Bot are my top picks in 2019. 3D World because it's a more pure gameplay game than other Mario games plus the level design is top notch. Astro Bot is basically a polished Nintendo platformer in VR and it uses VR in a way that elevates the game above anything on a flat screen.

Last edited:

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
As I never owned a console, my experience with platformers is pretty limited.

That being said, I love Monolith's "Claw". The cartoony setting, easy to pick up and play controls, varied settings... I just loved it from the first time I played it, and it usually gets installed on any PC I own.

Oct 25, 2017
Donkey Kong Country 2 without a doubt. Perfect level design, the best variety of an y platformer ever, amazing atmosphere and an all time great soundtrack. Nothing touches it.

Kolibri

Nov 6, 2017
2D: Rayman Legends or Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
3D: It's Mario, but no idea which one. I continously keep changing between Mario 64, Mario Galaxy (1), Mario 3D World and Odyssey.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
My soul wages a constant battle of Kongquest, that being DKC2 Vs Tropical Freeze.
The cohesiveness of DKC2 bonus room challenges intertwined with the level design gives it its strongest edge over its modern day counterpart. Throw in that dark fantasy aesthetic, the animal buddies (squitter da best) and a dollop of nostalgia and it builds a strong case.

Meanwhile Tropical Freeze has level design for the ages, layered for multiple styles of play, dynamic and densely detailed. Stronger as a pure platformer to boot with a soundtrack to match DKC2 and bosses that were given as much attention as any other stage. It's one flaw would be those accursed repetitive bonus rooms, but I can also pogo as Cranky Kong so there's that to consider.

AaronMT

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
Sonic 2. My neighbourhood had lots of Genesis households over Super Nintendo and Sonic was popular enough that a lot of us in the area would play 2-player and split-screen. Fond memories of the Genesis and Sonic 2 in particular. I love speed running the game. Just all around great sequel to the first game.

HMD

Oct 26, 2017
LittleBigPlanet 2

The LBP formula (Play, Create, Share) was perfected with LBP2 and we will never see anything like it.

Nov 8, 2017
Astro Bot Rescue Mission was one of the most amazing gaming experiences I've ever had. There were so many times when I was blown away by what I was seeing in my headset and it was a joy to play. Combine that with a fantastic sound track and I can easily put it in first above Mario 64 which I also love.

WN05QAE.gif

JaseMath

Oct 27, 2017
Denver, CO
Super Mario Galaxy.
I don't think there was ever a point while playing where I wasn't smiling. I even got a little misty-eyed at the end; I wasn't sure a game could make me feel so much like a kid again.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
2D - Donkey Kong Country 2 - Everything about this game is perfect and the music is fantastic
3D - Mario 64 - Not much compares to my first time playing this game. Pure magic.

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
3D: Super Mario Galaxy
2D: Donkey Kong Country Returns

Galaxy is one of the most magical games I've ever played. Every moment was sheer bliss.

DKCR has the best level design of any 2D platformer I've played. Worlds 5-through-7, in particular, are brilliant.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
2D: 3 way tie between SMW, DKC, and DK:Tropical Freeze. IF I was forced to pick, probably Tropical Freeze.

3D: SM64 or Banjo Kazooie.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This thread is proof DKC franchise is not getting its due service. Retro needs to be a full time Donkey Kong developer, damn it!

Oct 25, 2017
MĂ©xico
The best platformer game ever created was missed by many or at least misjudged and passed over due to the Wii U's failure. Super Mario 3D World.

I can't remember a time that I played a game through that continuously gave me this much joy and then added surprise after surprise with more and more content and challenges. I want to note that I played this game BEFORE & AFTER Odyssey. In fact, I beat Odyssey (with 900 moons). I have been recently playing both games with my 4 years old daughter.

Anyways here are my reasons:

The game still looks absolutely stunning. It has a way better image quality than Mario Odyssey. Smooth framerate at 60fps with not a single blurry texture. Very colorful.

Incredible level design and difficulty balance which gets progressively harder at almost the perfect level. Mario Odyssey is just too easy. It just feels like roaming around and getting moons (90% are very easy) and it gives no sense of completion or challenge to me like Galaxy and 3D World. And level after level, they always introduce new mechanics or new elements to each stage.

Ongoing content that just keeps going, opening up surprise worlds that feel fresh, fun and really add tons of value. Unlike Odyssey where the main game feels like 4-5 hours long...This game continues and feels fresh all the way until the final Bowser fight...then keeps going and going with surprises.

Real innovation that integrates amazingly creative new game elements, like the Toad levels, stamp collection, getting the "top" of the flag on all levels. These all feel like real challenges and you actually want to collect EVERYTHING. (Edit: I'm not saying getting the top of the flag is a "challenge", but it's something that's inherently "Mario". It's cool that they turned it into an objective in each level rather than just extra points.)

You can play this game in single player only and you'd almost forget that you can also play multiplayer. Some may disagree, but I'm willing to bet you jumped right into this thinking it's a multiplayer game and didn't really give single player a chance on its own. Playing in multiplayer makes it feel like a totally different game. It's like two games in one. Try it single player only and beat it that way, then go back with multiplayer. You'll see what I mean.

Integrates all of the best "true" Mario elements into one. Maps opening up worlds like Super Mario World (SNES), playable characters with different attributes like Super Mario Bros 2 (NES), random roaming enemy challenges on the way like Super Mario Bros 3 (NES), all with a very Super Mario Galaxy feel and amazing creativity.

Great audio tracks. Odyssey has loads of forgettable music, while this game gets stuck in your head. My girlfriend and I literally had many of the background tunes in our heads daily after playing this. Love the "circus" Bowser level music.

The cat suit is really fun and a welcome addition (the Tanooki suit is the only forgettable one) and makes finding all stars fun. However, the real creativity is in the bullet block head, light block head (later boo levels), coin block head and more (like NSMB but I think executed very well here). Seriously, there is amazing creativity here in using so many game elements to add value to already great level design, I don't even know where to start. It's like the Mario Galaxy team brought all their best ideas together and put them into one game. There are time rush levels, speed levels...it's the perfect amount of pacing and change to keep it interesting all the time. Odyssey has less of that innovation and feels the same the whole way through, except for maybe changing and collecting outfits, planting seeds, some races and a few others.

Perfect integration of real classic Mario enemies. They're all here, from spiky turtles, to mini Goombas. What really stands out though are the little touches. Like Goombas relaxing and sunbathing in tropical levels. Look for the little touches that make this world come alive. It's so much fun because it makes you smile all the time.

I could go on and on, but I just wanted to get this out there. I still think Odyssey is a good game , but I prefer the map style of Galaxy and 3D World where I get a sense of accomplishment from beating a level and then moving to a different one rather than roaming through one massive area with WAY too easy moons. Odyssey for me is the least "Mario" title so far and while that may be refreshing for some, I think it was highly overrated because many people skipped the Wii U and hadn't had their Mario fix for a long time. It made people get too excited and more reviewers were "wearing rose colored glasses" as the saying goes when they played it. Honestly, I implore you. Go find a cheap used Wii U and play Super Mario 3D World. Don't miss the best Mario game ever made. Note: Galaxy 2 is extremely close for a score for me. They're almost neck and neck...but I'd give 3D World the slight edge.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
We really need to do a Top 100 Platformers of All Time voting thread like we did for RPGs. I will seriously volunteer to help organize it if anyone is interested in the idea.

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
This is probably the most difficult question you could ask me. I honestly can't decide. I could narrow it down to a top 5 but I couldn't give one clear answer.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
For 2D platformers it's probably a toss-up between these two:

Kirby%27s_Adventure_Coverart.png
New_Super_Mario_Bros._U_box_art.png

For 3D platformers it's a similar tie of sorts for these guys:

Super_Mario_3D_World_box_art.jpg
Rayman_2.jpg

Honorable mentions: DKC 2: Diddy's Kong Quest, DKC: Tropical Freeze, Super Mario 64 & Banjo-Kazooie, though I don't really consider those last two pure platformers.

lord_of_flood

One Winged Slayer
Jan 1, 2018
It's between Celeste, Super Mario 3D World, and DKC: Tropical Freeze for me, though I think Celeste edges out the other two by just a little bit thanks to its story and characters.

JayCeeJim

Jan 3, 2019
Platformers are my favorite and most played genre.

I've played and greatly enjoyed all 2D Marios, Raymans and DKC (except the second half of Tropical Freeze), but the more time passes the more convinced I am that 2D Sonic is a superior formula on its foundations. With all the ramps, curved terrain, momentum, verticality and varying degrees of speed. So best 2D platformer must go to its best rendition: Sonic 3 & Knuckles.

Of course no one has translated that formula to 3D succesfully (3D Sonics range between acceptable and awful), while the Mario formula has evolved and even spawned quite a good amount of sub-genres. My vote for 3D would go to Super Mario 3D World, for the purity of the gameplay, and the incredible variety and creativity of levels and gimmicks.

And finally, I refuse to mix VR platformers with the 3D ones, since I think it's practically a new medium with much differnet possibilities. So, Astrobot gets a best-of title from me too. And not only because it has almost no competition, but because it's quite close to the other two in greatness.