• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
Prob. Bachelor Party.

I was 15 when it was in theaters in 1984.

So as a young teen all those sophomoric sex, drugs, and rock & roll hijinks were HILARIOUS.

Don't think I've ever laughed so loudly in a theater before.

Lucky Forward

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely Apollo 13 because I have such an interest in the subject, and probably the one I have watched the most times. Saving Private Ryan and Captain Phillips round out my top three.

MRYEAH

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The hall across the room
7378-2212.gif

Naw son it's Bonfire of the vanities that scene where he gets caught calling his mistress (Melanie Griffin)
Vintage Hanks
(Actually the movie is Terrible)
I really like Road to Perdition and That thing you do as movies I've watched many times

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
It'd take me too long to rewatch them all and decide properly, but today I feel like saying Captain Phillips. A subtle performance of a man heroically suppressing his rising terror before letting it out in one of the most cathartic scenes ever. Had me in tears!

OP
OP
Bor Gullet

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Castaway, Catch me if you can, Toy Story (all of them), the movie where he is stuck in the airport and Big.

I can't believe how badly Forrest Gump has aged. I loved that movie so much when it came out and now it seems so cheesy. I might concede that is from my own tastes changing, but I don't really like it anymore.

The Terminal.

And yes, Forrest Gump is probably the most successful movie with the most problematic message ever. Still baffles me how it won best picture that year.

Cybersai

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
The Terminal is probably his most underappreciated movie. It is fantastic. Directed by Spielberg and has Zoey Salanda in it too.

rasu

Dec 22, 2017
Count me in as one of the Joe Versus the Volcano fans! That gotdang mover is too good.

OP
OP
Bor Gullet

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It'd take me too long to rewatch them all and decide properly, but today I feel like saying Captain Phillips. A subtle performance of a man heroically suppressing his rising terror before letting it out in one of the most cathartic scenes ever. Had me in tears!

Best Tom Hanks scene in terms of acting

Big Al

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Oddly enough, for me it's him as Woody in Toy Story. Just a lot of memories of mine grounded in there I guess. Guy has a really earnest voice

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
You didn't even mention Splash, OP. I hope your mother is disappointed in you.

EDIT: Jesus Christ, only one person has mentioned it. My god. My fucking god.

SliceSabre

Oct 25, 2017
Cast Away and Forrest Gump with Saving Private Ryan close behind.

Cast Away is probably my favorite movie of all time.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
Can't think of one i like more than Forrest Gump.

And yes, Forrest Gump is probably the most successful movie with the most problematic message ever. Still baffles me how it won best picture that year.

Uh, can you tell us what you think the message was? Because i always got a "you can overcome adversity in life with a positive attitude and honest effort".

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
-- Cast Away in my opinion is the best acting performance by Tom Hanks
-- Apollo 13 is probably my favorite movie starring Tom Hanks
-- A League of their Own is my favorite movie that has Tom Hanks in it

The dude's filmography is fucking loaded with great movies.

OP
OP
Bor Gullet

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can't think of one i like more than Forrest Gump.

Uh, can you tell us what you think the message was? Because i always got a "you can overcome adversity in life with a positive attitude and honest effort".

The blatant disregard for anyone who isn't Forest Gump.

1) The hippies were all a bunch of social deviants who shared all causes with each other (like the Black Panthers socialized with white hippies, anti-war co-mingled with whatever the hell Nazi boy was).

2) The best soldiers are socially dysfunctional (this may be part of the satire that people claim exists in the movie but it's not played as satire, it plays quite sincere).

3) Women are mothers or whores or both.

4) Those who follow blindly will lose their leader but the leader will still be a great man (again I suspect this may have been supposed to be satire but it's played straight).

5) Anyone with a more complex view of the world then can be summed up in a cliche is deserving of any punishment they receive.

siddx

Banned
Dec 25, 2017
Big, largely because of nostalgia.

Gump and a league of their own is right behind it though. Wife would say Apollo 13.

Without a doubt the best male celebrity of all time.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
This is tough as hell, so many good movies.

Gonna be between A League of Their Own and Forrest Gump for me.
I0SrHj3.gif

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
I mean the one I stop and watching anytime I see it on is That Thing You Do! But I love Toy Story, Money Pit, Big, Catch Me if You Can.

Dec 22, 2017
Glad to see multiple people mention Joe vs the Volcanoe. If I had to pick only one, that would be my vote. Fantastically weird movie.

Splash, Big, and the Money Pit are all vintage Hanks. Of his post-Philadelphia roles, I'd have to go with Cast Away or Catch me if You Can.

Wait, is anyone else realizing Tom Hanks is their favorite actor? Hell, I even like Sleepless in Seattle.

OP
OP
Bor Gullet

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
-- Cast Away in my opinion is the best acting performance by Tom Hanks
-- Apollo 13 is probably my favorite movie starring Tom Hanks
-- A League of their Own is my favorite movie that has Tom Hanks in it

The dude's filmography is fucking loaded with great movies.
I saw that stealth edit :)

Deleted member 11262

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catch Me if You Can followed by Forrest Gump.
I never really understood the appeal of Castaway and I think it's not fair that Cloud Atlas is not on that big ass list...

Well, at least someone mentioned it now.

MattDoza

Oct 27, 2017
Eastern WA
The space goes...
down down baby, down down the roller coaster.
Sweet sweet baby, sweet sweet don't let me go.
shimmy shimmy coco pop, shimmy shimmy rock,
shimmy shimmy coco pop, shimmy shimmy rock
I met a girlfriend- a triscuit,
she said a triscuit-a biscuit,
ice cream soda pop
vanilla on the top
oooo Shalida, walking down the street,
ten times a week
I meant it. I said it.
I stole my mama's credit.
I'm cool. I'm hot.
Sock you in the stomach three more times.
Yup, it's Big for me, as well.

Wong Kar Why

Unshakable Resolve
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
catch me if you can because that film is so easily watchable. couple of other films that cross my mind are forrest gump and cast away.

CyrilFiggis

Nov 3, 2017
Pennsylvania
Tough choice but I'd probably go with Saving Private Ryan.

Honorable mentions for: The Ladykillers (shamefully not in the OP nor in a reply yet), The Terminal, Captain Phillips, Forrest Gump, and Apollo 13.

Never actually watched Cast Away. I should do something about that.