• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cybersai

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
You've got Mail is so weird to watch now in the age of social media. Did people really chat with each other like that in 1998?

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I guess I wouldn't have thought of Toy Story but I'm gonna go with that. Second is Forrest Gump.

Calliope

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Detroit, MI
Oh my god, The Burbs easily. I grew up watching that movie, it was such perfect family fare (for the most part), and my brother and I still quote it ad nauseam. I even had to make my boyfriend watch it so he could understand the references.

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cast Away

Fuck that movie gets me every time at the end. The emotions on display are so bittersweet, tragic, heartbreaking and hopeful. That monologue at the end that Hanks delivers is some of his best work by far:

"We both had done the math. Kelly added it all up and... knew she had to let me go. I added it up, and knew that I had... lost her. 'cos I was never gonna get off that island. I was gonna die there, totally alone. I was gonna get sick, or get injured or something. The only choice I had, the only thing I could control was when, and how, and where it was going to happen. So... I made a rope and I went up to the summit, to hang myself. I had to test it, you know? Of course. You know me. And the weight of the log, snapped the limb of the tree, so I-I - , I couldn't even kill myself the way I wanted to. I had power over *nothing*. And that's when this feeling came over me like a warm blanket. I knew, somehow, that I had to stay alive. Somehow. I had to keep breathing. Even though there was no reason to hope. And all my logic said that I would never see this place again. So that's what I did. I stayed alive. I kept breathing. And one day my logic was proven all wrong because the tide came in, and gave me a sail. And now, here I am. I'm back. In Memphis, talking to you. I have ice in my glass... And I've lost her all over again. I'm so sad that I don't have Kelly. But I'm so grateful that she was with me on that island. And I know what I have to do now. I gotta keep breathing. Because tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"

Just, take all my tears, man. Fucking take them.

I actually think the film is Zemeckis' masterpiece. Dude peaked with that film.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Two kinds of Hanx fans - those who prefer him in movies where he tries to flex his acting chops (Forest Gump, Green Mile, Ladykillers, Cast Away, Cloud Atlas, The Terminal) and those who prefer movies where he Hanxes it up and plays characters closer to IRL Hanx in roles that feel more tailored to him (Apollo 13, Saving Private Ryan, That Thing You Do, Philadelphia, Toy Story, A League of Their Own, Cast Away, etc).

Also confession time: I have a sealed bluray of Road to Perdition that's been sitting in my shelf since like 2009. All the love it's getting ITT is making me want to break it open right now. Hmmmm......
so which type of fan are you if you like cast away? listed in both categories :P

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh my god, The Burbs easily. I grew up watching that movie, it was such perfect family fare (for the most part), and my brother and I still quote it ad nauseam. I even had to make my boyfriend watch it so he could understand the references.
My girlfriend made me watch the Burbs a few weeks ago. It's great. The kind of family friendly movie with great actors that doesn't get made really anymore.
Same goes for Turner and Hooch. (the movie that made we rescue a Mastiff breed, here we are 6 years later)

Oct 25, 2017
Apollo 13 is my favourite film starring Tom Hanks. It might not be his best movie, but it's my most cherished film of his.

Figgles

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
This is tough to answer. I don't think I could even nail down a top ten. Gun to my head I would have to say Apollo 13. I have seen it countless times, and the reentry scene still manages to be tense.

Charlie Wilson's War and Road to Perdition are his most underrated.

Sully might be his most underrated performance.

EcksvsSever

Dec 31, 2017
Tough choice but I'd probably go with Saving Private Ryan.

Honorable mentions for: The Ladykillers (shamefully not in the OP nor in a reply yet), The Terminal, Captain Phillips, Forrest Gump, and Apollo 13.

Never actually watched Cast Away. I should do something about that.

Why mention the Coen Brothers worst movie?

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is going to sound weird, but I loved that thing you do.

Also road to perdition is fantastic.

potam

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Forrest Gump for life.

edit: the variety of responses really show how insane this dude's career is. One of the greats

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
I just finished watching Cast Away. I hadn't seen it since it first hit VHS and my Mom rented it for me. I think my parents went to see it when it came out.

I feel pretty similarly now to how I did then: It's a good movie, but it's not GREAT. It's not up there with some of his best.

Something is missing. Maybe not enough time spent on the island, maybe just not enough development there. But it was a big talking point at the time because of the subject and, of course, Wilson, not to mention Hanks himself.

Salmonax

Oct 27, 2017
gpN9b.gif

The GOAT (leggings).

But really mine is probably Castaway, or Big if we're going for the game-changer.

Oct 28, 2017
Forrest Gump is a mainstay for myself, personally, but I am very partial to The Road To Perdition. Catch Me If You Can is fantastic, but I firmly consider that a DiCaprio film, another great actor.

Castaway bored to fuck out of me. Wilson should have been the Swiss Army Man. That would have been magical.

Timeaisis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Toy Story, Big, Catch me If You Can and Forrest Gump. I mean, he's great in everything.

Also, growing up, Woody informed my sense of humor and, really, my whole damn personality. So I have a fond attachment to that character.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
Catch Me if You Can is a really underappreciated movie. People don't talk about it enough, nor did they when it came out. I didn't see it until I bought it on DVD, maybe even used, but was very impressed with it.