• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
I have been on a bit of a Dragon Ball Z Abridged watch recently due to the commentary and it got me thinking. What is my favourite Dragon Ball Z Abridged Episode, personally History of Trunks is very much up there as while it is definetly one of the less comedic focused episodes - that logically makes sense considering the History of Trunks and the darkness that is presented to them. Plus using Doomsguy for Trunks's Super Saiyan transformation is some great stuff. I am curious to know what is your favourite episode.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69J67L4b0xU

DubleDuce

Jan 15, 2018
Gotta be Episode 60. They went out on top.

Probably the best Gohan transformation sequence in the series, even better than the official show. The build up to Goku realizing how shit of a parent he's been and his redemption by sacrificing himself was handled extremely well on top of that.

The laughs were there, the drama was there, and they created an excellent dubbed version of Unmei no Hi that I still have in my playlist.

Jisgsaw

Oct 27, 2017
When Goku shows up after freezer reached his last form.
The utter disbelief of Freezer wih Goku playing dumb is perfect. The whole nsuing fight is great, but that's several episodes.

Waggles

Oct 26, 2017
Man, this show. They managed to bring so much to a simple fan thing. Really incredible how far they went during its run. That they managed to finish up the cell saga before calling it quits, right at the peak of their ability, is still really bittersweet for me.

Far as i'm concerned, they might as well have disbanded after that. Per my understanding, they partially did? Neither here nor there, I suppose.

To answer your question, there's bits and pieces that i loved. Frieza's banter with everyone, Guru was wonderful, mr popo's bullshit was always hilarious.

OP
OP
TheGamingNewsGuy

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
Man, this show. They managed to bring so much to a simple fan thing. Really incredible how far they went during its run. That they managed to finish up the cell saga becore calling it quits, right at the peak of their ability, is still really bittersweet for me.

Far as i'm concerned, they might as well have disbanded after that. Per my understanding, they partially did? Neither here nor there, I suppose.

To answer your question, there's bits and pieces that i loved. Frieza's banter with everyone, Guru was wonderful, mr popo's bullshit was always hilarious.
I mean TFS is still around but its not nearly the same

Waggles

Oct 26, 2017
Oh wait, i remember now. One of my favorite things they did wasn't in an episode, it was in the Broly Abridged movie.

The scene where goku and piccolo rush broly, and it cuts all the music and effects for slapping noises and muffled grunting. Ah, it still gets me. Their movie adaptions were freaking excellent as well.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Cell's introduction

WANNA WATCH ME DRINK THIS GUY?!?

Ohohhoho OMINOUS

So many good lines

Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
For whatever reason, one of the early episodes sticks with me, when Goku is dead and the guy at the desk is just going "Mahogany!" over and over. Been years since I've seen that, but if I'm with my friends, I can say that word and we'll all crack up yet. Such a great, simple joke.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure I could pin down a specific episode off the top of my head, but it's probably something in the Freiza Saga (probably late in it, to be hones), where they struck a perfect balance. The Saiyan Saga is extremely rough and the Cell Saga is pretty bloated.

Alec

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
I think it was a bonus bit, but the one where they play it like Vegeta and Goku are in a relationship and Whis is their relationship counselor.

Aug 17, 2022
Can someone explain if this is worth watching? I tried the first 30 seconds and immediately hated the humour, does it find a sweet spot?

May 26, 2018
The aftermath of Trunks killing Frieza and all the hijinx that ensue afterwards. It's an "in-between" episode but it's just nonstop fun.

Cruxist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The Ginyu force stuff kills me. I love the Jeice/Burter bromance, and Recoome as a pro wrestler is just fantastic.

Cutebrute

Nov 8, 2017
Arkansas
Episodes 28-29 with the introduction of Freeza's final form and the start of his fight with Goku. You good bits with Gohan, Krillin, and Piccolo, but Vegeta's fight with Freeza and Goku's arrival is absolutely perfect. Anyone with an iota of DBZ knowledge could jump in right there and have a good time.

Remnants

Prophet of Regret
Jul 18, 2019
Kinda cheating but the broly movie. Vegetas reaction to his back story is perfect.

Axumite

Nov 19, 2017
Episodes 28-29 with the introduction of Freeza's final form and the start of his fight with Goku. You good bits with Gohan, Krillin, and Piccolo, but Vegeta's fight with Freeza and Goku's arrival is absolutely perfect. Anyone with an iota of DBZ knowledge could jump in right there and have a good time.

The way Goku breaks Freeza's shtick of keeping count of common phrases used in heroic speeches killed me. I think my favorite bit has to be Perfect Cell's impression of Trunks though.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgHSLgyFDzQ&ab_channel=micro9X6

Pharaun

Oct 27, 2017
The Dragon Ball Z Kai Abridged episode was great, the entire Saiyan Saga in under 10 minutes.

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
I go back and forth between the Bardock one with Chilled, and the one with Nappa thinking Chiaotsu is a Pokemon. There's so many good ones though. Episode 60 is also up there.

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
Can someone explain if this is worth watching? I tried the first 30 seconds and immediately hated the humour, does it find a sweet spot?

The first few episodes you mean? The creators have gone on record as not being happy with the quality of the first arc (and even early Freeza).

The Freeza and Cell Arcs are where they change the way they handle the humor for the show to be more character based, while also treating the serious parts of the original show with care.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
This thread seems particularly like good timing because I'm watching their FourStarBento series where Lani & Kaiser are rewatching the series and giving commentary on it. Really cool to hear some of their thought processes in scripting and the work done in splicing some of these episodes together!

Even as a fan of the beginning, going back to it is especially hard. Even the beginning of "Season 2" (when they start going to Namek) is rough, but immensely better than the Saiyan Saga stuff (apart from Nappa, he always will remain a highlight of Season 1)

Definitely start with Episode 11 or 12 if the first episode wasn't catching on. Or at least Episode 7 (I think) when the Saiyans arrive on Earth)

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I love DBZ Abridged.

But, people should remember it's a paroy and not the real thing.

Yunsen

Oct 25, 2017
My favorite episode is probably 48 (Tien vs Semi-perfect Cell). Shadow of the Colossus is my favorite game ever and I instantly recognized the music during that scene. My favorite movie they've done is Lord Slug. My favorite video they've done is Kai Abridged 2.

Funkelpop

Sep 2, 2022
Probably the ones with imperfect Cell when he absorbed 17. Dude was fucking hilarious especially with SS Vegeta. 😂

archreaper93

Oct 27, 2017
I can't narrow it down to 1 episode, but the stretch of episodes 25-26 is probably my favorite stretch of the series. So many of my favorite gags.

Frieza planet 419
"My son the planet or me?"
Chancellor Nappa
Mountain>plateau
"I have a question. Die."

As for movies, it's between both Cooler movies, Android 13, and Broly.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Episode 37. Vegeta being a Super Saiyan Brat while chasing Gero was always hilarious to me.

Kinda cheating but the broly movie. Vegetas reaction to his back story is perfect.

and his reaction to Paragus telling said story despite Vegeta's non-interest

"oh I'm being ignored again"

Also if anyone is looking for a reason to watch Abridged again with a bit of freshness, turn on Canadian subtitles for extra humor and some creator commentary.

viskod

Nov 9, 2017
I really love Abridged Frieza.

The first thing that comes to mind is Goku thinking to himself "I have to protect all my vital areas" then Frieza grabs him around the neck with his tail "Oh my neck! my most vital area!"