• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

S-Wind

Nov 4, 2017
Once you're dead then that's it.

Nothing. Zip. Zilch. Nada.

Just like before you were born.

Oct 28, 2017
absolutely nothing. and great, now i'm contemplating an existential crisis before bed. awesome

img_03082qjkg.jpg

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
To paraphrase Sagan, we return to being a part of the universe that can no longer attempt to know itself.

It's a good reminder to learn, preserve knowledge, and pass it on to the future, while we're still capable of doing so.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't exist.

Our life ends and the rest of the world carrys on with only the memory of your life in the folks around you to carry on.

HaL64

Nov 3, 2017
Just like before you were born.

I hear people say this, but I think it's missing something more important.
Instead of born, do you mean conceived? At won't point exactly do you become "you"? Certainly you now are absolutely nothing like nameless you at 0 minutes old.
So it more accurate to say death is exactly like before your last memory, not before you were born as you didn't even process the world in such a way to be able to know what it was like.

The you that is you ceased to be just a moment ago. You are different in every moment. Think about yourself 10 years ago. Sort of like you, but not really. 7 year old you wouldn't even know you very well. You would share memories, but those memories are likely different. You would consider yourselves completely different people. So 7 year old you is "dead". You don't even have the same matter anymore as all of the cells in your body have been replaced.
When I figured this out in my teens I realized there was no soul and the concept of you and existence is just an invention by your mind which it keeps evolving until the mind stops functioning.

maxresdefault.jpg

tusharngf

Oct 29, 2017
Lordran
main-qimg-f8eef509dafd50ac3a4fa0ff2a7dd01f

In Hindusm, the soul leaves the body after death but stays there for few days before it starts its journey to heaven/hell.
On the first day after death a pinda or round ball (made from rice flour and milk) is offered with libations of water etc. on which the preta (Soul) is supposed to feed, and which endows it with the basis of the requisite body. Next day another pinda is offered with water etc. which gives it perhaps, limbs such as arms and legs. Then it receives hands, feet etc. This goes on for twelve days and the offering of the pinda on the twelfth day gives the head. No sooner the preta obtains a complete body then it becomes a PITRI, when instead of being regarded as impure, it is held to be a deva or deity, and practically worshipped as such in the Shraddha ceremonies, the first of which takes place on the twelfth day after death.
Shraddha is the name of the ceremonies performed by relatives to help the departed soul. A Shraddha is not a funeral ceremony but a Pitri-Yajna or worship of departed ancestors, which worship, however, is something different from a puja (ceremonial worship) to a God. It is performed by making offerings of round balls of rice, flour etc. with accompaniments of sacred grass (kusha grass), flowers, and sprinkling of water, and with repetitions of mantras and texts from the Sam Veda, the whole ceremonial being conducted, not in a temple, but at any sacred spot such as the margin of a river.
It takes many months for the departed soul to reach the abode of the Pitris or the souls of the ancestors. The word Pitris primarily means the immediate ancestors. Viz. Father, mother etc. This abode of the Pitris is known as Pitri-lok (Heaven/sometimes hell).
Performance of Shraddha and Tarpan (libations of water) relieves the hunger and thirst of the departed soul during its journey to the Pitri Lok. By the offering of the Shraddha, the son helps his father to dwell in joy with the Pitris.
The Bhagavad Gita, which forms a vital and philosophically important part of the great epic Mahabharata, states that on the eve of death the individual soul contracts all its energies and centres these into the subtle body. Our ordinary sight is incapable of perceiving it.
There is no specific "judgement day" in Hinduism. However, the soul, called "Atma" leaves the body and reincarnates itself according to the deeds or Karma performed by one in last birth.
Re-birth would be in form of animals or other lower creatures if one performed bad Karmas and in human form in a good family with joyous lifetime if the person was good in last birth.
In between the two births a human is also required to either face punishments for bad Karmas in "narak" or hell or enjoy for the good karmas in "swarg" or heaven for good deeds. Whenever his or her punishments or rewards are over he or she is sent back to earth, also known as "Mrityulok" or World of Death.
A person is merged with the God or ultimate power when he discharges only & only good Karmas in last birth and the same is called as "Moksha", which is the ultimate goal of a true Hindu.
source:https://www.quora.com/What-exactly-...g-to-Hindu-scriptures/answer/Bhaskar-Dutta-15

John Caboose

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
My hypothesis is that the "I" am a sum of all of my parts, and that without those parts there is no "me" anymore. I, as a conscious being, will cease to be once "my" body and brain stop functioning permanently.

There is no compelling evidence to suggest otherwise. I would have no problem re-evaluating my stance if such evidence was to be presented.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
I believe death is the end.

There's nothing before and there's nothing after a novel (prequels & sequels notwithstanding) so that's what life is.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
Occam's razor, the black void before my birth is likely the same black waiting for me after my death.

OP
OP
Baphomet

Baphomet

Banned
Dec 8, 2018
That we live in a looped universe and so death is merely a state of primordial unconsciousness until the cycle runs its course and starts anew. We'll continue to live essentially the same lives ad infinitum, albeit with deviation as to fulfill all possible outcomes.

Of course, without consciousness time collapses unto itself until it reaches one, so we'll die and seemingly "immediately" come back when in reality a billions and billions of years have passed.
Very nicely said.

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia

AzVal

May 7, 2018
There is nothing beyond, your brain decays and becomes a system damaged beyond repair, your conscience cease to be, no different than any other living being.
All the afterlife bullshit is to give solace, especially if life dealt you with a shitty hand, so you perform your function with content and keep the religious leaders well fed and clad. Intelligent design my ***, we have enough proof already that life as we know is result of trial and error and a very cruel process with very cruel results.

olag

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
To the disappointment of my family I long stopped believing in a places like heaven and hell because on reflection they seemed more like hopes . I hope that good person who was treated like white throughout life goes to heaven and I hope that widely successful asshole goes to hell. Such beliefs often come from the realisation of how powerless we are when compared to the systems we have built for ourselves and sometimes how meaningless our lives can seem.

I think I've made piece with the fact that those places don't exist and that when we die we simply cease existing because it reminds me to strive for something in my life and to always try to reach my full potential. However I will admit that with this realisation came the disappointment of not knowing whether certain things happen. I will probably not be alive when humanity is finally able to stop cellular senescence or crack space travel. I guess it's why sci-fi and fantasy appeal to me

Dr. Giggles

Oct 31, 2017
I don't believe in an afterlife. Just pure black nothingness. Kinda like before we're born. I've been thinking about this a lot with everything going on in the world right now and I'm not going to lie...I hope there's an afterlife.

Jan 4, 2018
I used to be an atheist for most of my life -- and I know this sounds dumb, but I had a bad acid trip that really made me revise my spirituality a couple of years back. I like to think that the universe exists on some kind of rebirth cycle. Expansion, collapse, big bang, repeat. The idea that the universe finds a way to imperfectly replicate itself is appealing. The same mind being given new choices, free of the successes and failures prior.

So I guess whatever religion thinks life is a rogue-like?

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Lights out, the end.

If there's something else afterwards, then cool, i get a bonus life. But i live as if there is none (as it's the most likely and logical) and am perfectly fine with this outcome.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
There is no physical mechanism for continued existence after our short time on this rock. Once your neurons stop firing , that's it.

It sucks, because everyone has loved ones they would want to see again, but it is what it is.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't have a single valid reason to think you experience anything once your heart stops beating and your brain stops functioning.

Ventilaator

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Belief in an afterlife is basically just a manifestation of the just-world fallacy (wiki) and that thing has "fallacy" right in the name so...

Oct 25, 2017
We have no evidence about there being any kind of after life, the time to believe something is when it's proven.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Like before you were born; you don't exist anymore, there is no "afterlife" The idea is laughable to me. Your time is over; we are just temporary beings like every single living being on this earth no matter how big or small. When we die, that's it, there's nothing after.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
There is no reason to believe there is anything. Death is scary enough to have people comforting themselves with all manner of fantasy.
"peace" or "sleep" are experiences for the living, and have no relevance to the deceased.

Jaymageck

Nov 18, 2017
Toronto
That we live in a looped universe and so death is merely a state of primordial unconsciousness until the cycle runs its course and starts anew. We'll continue to live essentially the same lives ad infinitum, albeit with deviation as to fulfill all possible outcomes.

Of course, without consciousness time collapses unto itself until it reaches one, so we'll die and seemingly "immediately" come back when in reality a billions and billions of years have passed.

Oh hey, I didn't think I'd see my beliefs here.

Death is oblivion, it's the end of me and all my memory. But I arose from oblivion in the first place, and time is infinite. Eventually my configuration will reemerge and be as much me as it was before. Except no continuity with the previous me.

It doesn't matter what happens to the universe. If there's heat death, somehow the universe will reset from it due to physics unbeknownst to us.

Time stretches infinitely in both directions. That only makes sense if the universe is immortal.

Night Hunter

Dec 5, 2017
After death comes nothing, and I'm more than fine with that. Getting through one lifetime will be hard enough so I'll welcome the eternal void with open arms and a big fucking smile on my face.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
When you're dead it's simply over. Like with all other animals.
It would be nice if this crisis would make humanity more rational and more focussed towards science and being humane. Unfortunately it's more likely people will focus more and more nonsense.