• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Grew up believing in heaven/hell then I got to the point of nothingness. Now I'm at I don't know and I'm not going to worry about it.

Troast

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
If people really understood the concept of eternal afterlife and infinity, they would actually see heaven as the same as hell. No matter what you experience be it pleasure or pain, doing it forever and ever is torture.

plngsplsh

Oct 28, 2017
I am legion and the legion will dissipate,
my consciousness vanishes as cells disintegrate.

Last edited:

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We either die and that's it, or, if we're living in a simulation, our consciousness is somehow saved and reloaded or whatever.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes people are gone or become someone else before they're dead thanks to degenerative diseases. Does my grandma get to live on in that horrible state after death or is it this optimal state where its her best years?

That's the most infuriating problem with the concept afterlives and persistent consciousness for me - the fact that we can perceive its growth and deterioration due to it being tied to your biology yet there's this wish to persist and presume you get to keep the complex brain function you have right now.

Its pure fantasy and takes away from how important it is to treat people with respect while you still can because we're only here once.

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
I have absolutely no idea, it's not even something I give any consideration anymore. Don't know, don't care.

Froli

Oct 25, 2017
Philippines
It's either
  • Nothingness
  • Wake up from a simulation
  • Get reincarnate/relieve life in another (infinite) universe
Maybe all of the above

Axon

Banned
Mar 9, 2020
Probably nothing, but I don't pretend to know for certain either way. There are a lot of things we don't know yet (we don't even have a full grasp yet on what consciousness even is) and to pretend otherwise would be foolish.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
If we define continuation of the "me" as the self, there is no continuation because this is a product of thought. The self existing, let alone existing after death, depends upon a dualistic cosmos.

Millions of cells in your organism die every few minutes. There's no central, unchanging "you." What exactly are we assuming carries on beyond death?

Temp_User

Oct 30, 2017
There is no life after death. Unless you're counting undeath . . . . and only because liches are awesome!

tyrants-grasp-shining-crusade-death-of-arazni.jpg

There is no divine justice or eternal reward at the end. Which is why its imperative that we should strive to be more humble and be a more decent human being in order to be less of a burden to society as a whole.

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
The idea of a disembodied mind or soul that escapes the body upon death is about as reasonable as believing the demon Titivillus is responsible for the typos you make writing your TPS report.

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uranus, get it?!? YOUR. ANUS.
I'm Christian, but have a hard time wrapping my head around the brief description of heaven found in the Bible. Sounds like an idealized version from the mind of someone who was poor and had little imagination.

I don't know, I think heaven is peace. Your energy (soul) is thrown back into the collective (God) and you're no longer burdened by a human husk. I hope (have faith) that our consciousness works like that to some degree.

Personally I like the idea of the reset switch also found in the Bible. Like a mix of reincarnation and traditional Christian views of heaven (earth remade, your body restored).

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Afterlife makes no sense, your brain is what gives your senses, how can that exist when your brain stops functioning?

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Oblivion, unless we develop some form of consciousness upload. I believe that life is lived truth which only has meaning because it doesn't last forever. The notion of some eternal realm for your soul gives me major I Have no Mouth and Must Scream vibes once you exhaust every possible thing you could ever do there. True "eternity" is something that humans can't even comprehend nor quantify. When I read other spiritual descriptions of their versions of an afterlife I'm left thinking that the whole thing sounds so... Small?

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Don't know, I don't expect what people have told me from like a heaven or hell thing but at the same time I don't fully understand this moment in time right now where I have a believed participation. Ultimately we are such small things in the universe it's hard to imagine any type of personal reward but I can't fully comprehend absolute death when we are alive now, in all of human history we are alive right now.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno. Many cultures have independently come to the conclusion that there is some sort of higher power. So I hope that's not a coincidence. I believe if there is one, that everyone is correct to some degree. I think if there is one, it just expresses itself differently to each culture.
But I am very skeptical.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
There's no form of consciousness, just nothing. Maybe since we're energy and we can't be destroyed, we become something once we break down - but our conscious selves are gone and this life we have now is it.

Deleted member 42105

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 13, 2018
Boring ass oblivion.

Here's hoping my brain does something epic before my consciousness completely fades out. Chances are it won't though, I'll die as I lived, disappointed with my unrealistic expectations.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
That there is a soul. The "I" factor.

However, bereft of hardware, it has no power of perception, thought, motor function, memory and sense of self.

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Oblivion, unless we develop some form of consciousness upload. I believe that life is lived truth which only has meaning because it doesn't last forever. The notion of some eternal realm for your soul gives me major I Have no Mouth and Must Scream vibes once you exhaust every possible thing you could ever do there. True "eternity" is something that humans can't even comprehend nor quantify. When I read other spiritual descriptions of their versions of an afterlife I'm left thinking that the whole thing sounds so... Small?

See my earlier post. I 100% agree.

The descriptions of heaven, in any religion (my own included) sound so limited by human imagination.

Exellus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
You remember that nothingness you experienced before you were born?

That was what death is like.

Or that dreamless sleep you experience every night. That's like being dead.

That's it.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I used to be an atheist. But after reading Carl Sagan I became an agnostic. I don't see any evidence of an afterlife, nothing compelling. But I can't rule it out because how can one disprove a negative?

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You die, that's it. Stop looking for a mulligan from a magic sky fairy. Treat real people that exist now with dignity and, more importantly, equity.

You've gone off rails. Who are you having this conversation with? The OP posed a simple question. And also, no need to denigrate the faithful (however illogical it is to have faith in the first place) with labels like "sky fairy". We can be adults about this conversation.

(In another conversation, I would agree with you fwiw. No one should be using belief in an after life as an excuse for shitty behavior in the one we can measure right now).

My belief, we end. Sucks though, I envy those who can believe in an after life. I don't wanna die, I don't want my wife to die, and I damn sure don't want my daughter to die. Even if we could simply survive as nothing more than a program inside a PC one day, I'd take it to be with them forever. But it is what it is, we're falling off the cliff eventually, I'm just glad I found good partners for the duration of my climb.

I got choked up reading this

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The idea of reincarnation was always silly to me. If you don't remember your past life anyway what is the point? "You" basically died into nothing and something else took your place.

Anyway, death is nothing. Before you were born etc.

I just take some (lightly spiritual) solace in the fact that what we can consider our life force. Our energy etc. Gets transfered back into the earth and the universe and will be used by other living beings or assembled into something else. That's p cool.

I'm a big fan of those tree pod things that in lieu of a coffin you basically get put in this pod and your body nourishes a tree.