• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
First, I'd like to say I don't judge either way and think people have the right to feel comfortable on their own time when minding their own business. I just wanted to see how other people approach this as I've gotten some interesting answers and perspectives.

I made the choice that if I have the time or some cash/change on me that I'll unconditionally extent a hand in some way. Yeah, they can have an addiction, yeah they might be manipulative, yeah perhaps their homelessness is their fault, yeah I've gotten yelled at and called a liar when unable to help, yeah I don't REALLY get anything in return besides an inflated sense of conceited fake altruism, and yeah they don't always spend it well. One thing I do know is that they are in a situation and unlike me they have no one to turn to for help and having a home doesn't mean I spend my money any better or don't have addictions and bad habits of my own. They have no one in most cases and I think that's the biggest difference between us. I think it's good to find a reason everyday to respect humanity and human dignity again. This doesn't mean everytime I extend a hand but when I can I try my best.

Recently, I've been thinking about this a lot, we are all judgmental people at times to some extent. We do our best to combat snap judgement out of decency but not everyone wins this battle and some choose not to fight it all together.

Telaso

Oct 25, 2017
I avoid them as much as possible. I always do end up giving money for food if they have kids with them though. It really breaks my heart when children are punished for their parents mistakes.

Exellus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Some people may legit need help, but there's also scam artists and people just looking for drug money.

Just avoid them.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
tumblr_m2jrnpo6ZV1qfyuo0o1_500.gif

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i give them what change I can grab from my pocket. If it's just pennies I'll through some dimes or a quarter. The reason I do this is that there are a lot of homeless people around where I live and Im always walking somewhere that they're usually at. I give a little to each one if I can instead of just one person.
I've never thought of what they do with it. Not for a second. I just don't care. It's your money now, do what you want.

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
If someone asks for money for food, I will offer to go in a place and get them something - I do it every now and then.

I gave cash a couple times, only to realize it was a scam, so I just don't do that any more.

If someone looks disturbed, I will avoid.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
I typically don't interact with them at all.

If I do, I never give them cash directly. I'll either buy them something or give them a bottle of water.

Elderly Parrot

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 13, 2018
I always carry two dollars on me and pretend they are like legends of the hidden temple guards.

tangeu

Oct 27, 2017
Going about my day I'll keep walking. In the grander scheme of things I donate time/money to shelters and assistance programs.

OP
OP
Spinluck

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
If someone asks for money for food, I will offer to go in a place and get them something - I do it every now and then.

I gave cash a couple times, only to realize it was a scam, so I just don't do that any more.

If someone looks disturbed, I will avoid.

When I do give out cash it is usually $5 tops as I don't carry a lot of cash. But back when I volunteered at a shelter I learned that hot meals were usually better. It's just, not a lot of people have that time.

Ensorcell

Oct 27, 2017
I tell them "Get a job, you lazy bum!" and throw a penny at them.

I ignore them like all other strangers.

Nov 28, 2017
There are no homeless where I live, but the last time I was in London a couple of months ago I was passing by a homeless guy and he asked for a cigarette. I had 3 left in a pack and gave them to him. Close by was a McDonald's, so I went in, bought a cheeseburger and fries and brought it back to him.
He was very grateful.

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
"I only carry debit" because it's true, otherwise I ignore them.

When I was a kid I went to a Leafs game and as we were leaving a homeless guy approach my mom and asked for money, which she said she didn't have, so he grabbed my jacket and pulled me back yelling "Please! I have no home! I have no money!" and I remember just going "I'm 8! I live with my parents!" as my mom pulled my jacket from his grip and pulled me away.

Riskbreaker

Nov 1, 2017
Ignore.

Back in '07, after giving a homeless person a fiver and then watching them come into Starbucks to charge their iPhone, I have not given a homeless person anything since. That shit was infuriating.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
Distrust of the homeless is really the cruellest of ironies. These are people living hand to mouth but people are sniffing at their addictions and using that as an excuse to disengage.

My autistic adult kid has spent many years in hospitals so they have more than a little insight into what drives people down. This is an exceptionally bright and insightful person who is keenly aware that without a strong and supportive family they might have ended up on the streets. This, my own child, is the person who has taught me how to notice the homeless and how to approach someone with respect, share a little time with them, and offer money and any other help I can. If we're with the dog, a gentle greyhound, we introduce her to them and let them interact. Dogs don't look down their noses at you (except in the sense that she's a greyhound so she literally has no choice.)

Oct 27, 2017
I acknowledge their existence if they speak to me, I'm not going to just completely ignore them. That would be rude. Beyond that I don't interact, although I was in McDonald's the other day and a homeless guy sidled up to me and politely asked if I'd buy him a coffee so I bought him a coffee and a sausage McMuffin meal, om nom.

Edit; reminds me of this amusing story. Me and a couple of guys I work with were stood outside a pub having a drink in the sun and a few homeless guys were coming up asking for change and we said no sorry, as you do. Then another homeless guys comes up and asks for change so we say no, sorry and then he says "Well perhaps if you didn't spend so much money on drink you'd have some fucking money to give to me" and then stalks off in disgust. Props for the audacity I suppose. Made us laugh anyway.

OP
OP
Spinluck

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
There are no homeless where I live, but the last time I was in London a couple of months ago I was passing by a homeless guy and he asked for a cigarette. I had 3 left in a pack and gave them to him. Close by was a McDonald's, so I went in, bought a cheeseburger and fries and brought it back to him.
He was very grateful.

That's dope dude.

Mozendo

Oct 25, 2017
Pacific North West
Treat them like human beings, just be honest with them.
Yup.

If homeless people approach me and ask for food I tend give it to them if there's any restaurants/grocery stores, I stopped giving cash since panhandling (scammers) was incredibly common in Downtown Boston.

Wish adult homeless shelters (at least the ones I've lived near) could get more funding to provide better services.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
I made the choice that if I have the time or some cash/change on me that I'll unconditionally extent a hand in some way. Yeah, they can have an addiction, yeah they might be manipulative, yeah perhaps their homelessness is their fault, yeah I've gotten yelled at and called a liar when unable to help, yeah I don't REALLY get anything in return besides an inflated sense of conceited fake altruism, and yeah they don't always spend it well. One thing I do know is that they are in a situation and unlike me they have no one to turn to for help and having a home doesn't mean I spend my money any better or don't have addictions and bad habits of my own. They have no one in most cases and I think that's the biggest difference between us. I think it's good to find a reason everyday to respect humanity and human dignity again. This doesn't mean everytime I extend a hand but when I can I try my best.

I don't think this is fake altruism. It's altruism if by altruism we use the definition of an unselfish act to help others. As you are not thinking solely of yourself, it isn't selfish.

As for me, I give them money or meals when I can. I make sure and take note that one bad day and I can end up in the same place they are. It gives me perspective as well as making sure my empathy never fades. I volunteer at a shelter, a food bank, and a food pantry so I give back in other ways as well.

Oct 28, 2017
If somebody asks for money I'll buy them food. If they take up my offer for food, I don't mind letting them stock up a good bit.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
After years and years of experience, I just try and avoid those encounters.

If someone directly asks for money in a one-on-one situation, I say "sorry, man". If it's a guy begging to a group on a train car, I don't even make eye contact. I always feel bad.

I used to give a dollar, but it's like identifying yourself as a mark and too many of those interactions got weird fast. Once, a few years ago I walked into a CVS with guy, he loaded up on sundries and I paid the bill. I probably wouldn't do that again.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I treat them as I would anyone else that is a stranger, I don't try to walk around them or anything. But I also don't stop and have a conversation.

Deleted member 2109

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I usually only have cards on me so I just tell them that and say sorry. If I have money on me I'll give a couple bucks or something. I don't care what they do with it.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Look straight ahead. But on the rare occasion I don't, I'll give some change. Hell, I've asked them for change before because, honestly, I'm prob. broker than them on any given day lol
I usually only have cards on me so I just tell that and say sorry. If I have money on me I'll give a couple bucks or something. I don't care what they do with it.
They've literally asked me if they can come with me to the ATM then LOL
I'm like, nah brah, that's now how this is supposed to go. Good day.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
I do not hand out money, mostly because I just don't carry cash. Also because there are many advocates who say that handing out money doesn't help (not all advocates say this).

But if someone asks me for money, I always look at them and respond verbally. It's literally the least I can do.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
if we're near a restaurant, I'll buy them a meal.

Otherwise though, I don't carry cash anymore so there isn't a whole lot I can help them with. I can direct them to nearby homeless shelters and neighborhood dinners.