• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 28, 2017
I have finally started going to therapy (not a brag thread), and on my way back to work afterward, I began thinking - What if, the person that trust with all our deepest, darkest thoughts turned out to support Trump? How would you feel? Would you continue going if you had made great progress?

I don't expect (and don't hope) mine is a Trump supporter. But I would honestly cut it off. I couldn't go on knowing someone supported a racist, sexist, piece of shit. Even if they did help me. I would move and try to find someone else.

Oct 25, 2017
I had a therapist I went to twice. Started talking about how current politics hurts my brain, then I saw him driving in a red sports car, the flaunting my wealth kind. never went back

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Questions you should ask when dealing with professionals:
A.) Are they qualified to do their job?

and that's about it

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If my therapist was a Trump supporter I'd be tickled pink that I could afford a therapist.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
Questions you should ask when dealing with professionals:
A.) Are they qualified to do their job?

and that's about it

I'd say that for most professionals, but a therapist is going to guide you through to being a better you. This means they need to have their own house in order. They don't need to be perfect but they damn well need to be pointed in the right direction as a person, and being a Republican simply isn't that.

Jarrod38

Oct 25, 2017
What if I came across a stranger on the street and they voted for Trump even though I will never see them again?

Oct 25, 2017
Last time I filled a questionnaire for therapy they actually asked if I had a political leaning for a therapist.

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
I had a therapist who took Trumps side on "grab em' by the pussy". She's not my therapist anymore.

ephexia

Feb 23, 2018
I told my last psychiatrist that if she was a Republican she needed to let me know because that means she's actively working against my well-being. (I was in a state funded program that got shut down at the time) and I would go find a new Dr. She paused for a moment and informed me she was a proud Democrat. This was during GWB presidency

Rayne

Oct 25, 2017
A therapist would most likely be the first person to tell you if you weren't comfortable with them to get another. So yeah if you're not comfortable with a trump supporter as a therapist get another one.

Personally I wouldn't feel comfortable with one but that's more on me not being comfortable with them then their ability to do their job.

napkins

Nov 18, 2017
I would go as far to say that I would never let a republican be involved with any mental health care.

Abstrusity

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, if my therapist were a Trump supporter, I couldn't trust them with my secrets.

Trump supporters cannot be trusted at all.

Sometimes they even lie about being Trump supporters.

The only way to know for sure is to dump a cup of cold water on them -- if they get angry at you, they're a Trump supporter.

itwasTuesday

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
She has pride stickers around her office and we joke about snl skits all the time.

So I would be surprised.

Reeks

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My therapist definitely is not. If he was, I probably wouldn't be working with him. Pretty straight forward.

Lord Fagan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If they're professional in any way, you'll both never know or notice.

In case you're confused, the point of it all is to focus on you, what you think, and how you feel. Regardless of their political affiliation, any therapist who would allow preconceived biases to tilt their analysis, support, and duty to establish/maintain trust is a shitty therapist. How they vote is rather immaterial if they're meeting those standards.

Anticipatory fear is something you should discuss openly and know up front is your problem, not theirs.

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't be working with them, because I imagine they wouldn't be able to help me or that we'd get along in any way.

cmdrshepard

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
As a therapist/psychologist i would recommend discussing the issue with them in the first instance if this is an issue that is particularly concerning for you (as with any issues that may develop in the therapeutic relationship). Often issues can be resolved by communicating and discussing with the therapist. Ideally anything you have discussed with them already likely would not have given you an indication of this, as they are not meant to have personal bias affect work or be judgmental in any way.

Some therapists may not wish to disclose their personal political views or they may express a different viewpoint in politics to you. If you feel that after discussing the issue with your therapist and you still feel uncomfortable, don't hesitate to ask them for a referral to another therapist or find a new one. Unless their is a positive therapeutic relationship between the client and the therapist, treatment will likely be ineffective at best.

Your the client and any therapist worth their salt would be putting your needs ahead of any views they should hold. However if you are not comfortable with their views you are absolutely entitled and should be encouraged to seek someone who you will get along with.

Last edited:

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I have actually made sure this isn't the case. Granted, it would be unlikely given that I live in the bay area and the political demographics of people who usually go into therapy.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
If my therapist was he's done an awfully good job hiding it. Same with my psychiatrist

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I'd find somebody else.

Would you trust your mental health in the hands of somebody with a severe "fuck you got mine" political attitude?

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
This reminds me of that thread about would you let a doctor perform surgery on you if he was a trump supporter. Unless they're pushing their political view on you, which no therapist should be doing regardless of who they stand for, it would be fine.

Oct 27, 2017
I think mine might be. I've asked her and shes refused to answer me (it came up when i was ranting about politics of Trump and Puerto Rico) ... She's always been professional to me and never in the slight bit been racist, so i hope i was in the wrong to ask her.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I think mine might be. I've asked her and shes refused to answer me (it came up when i was ranting about politics of Trump and Puerto Rico) ... She's always been professional to me and never in the slight bit been racist, so i hope i was in the wrong to ask her.
You're asking if it's wrong to speak to your therapist candidly. Of course it isn't wrong lol

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
I'm way too conceited to have a therapist