• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What is your stance?

• ASDF JKL; me up!

Votes: 152 53.9%
  • I have my own methods

Votes: 130 46.1%

• Total voters

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
I guess the tradition stance is start from the four fingers on the ASDF buttons and four fingers on the JKL; buttons.

However, I only have the the four fingers starting on the ASDF, but my other hand isn't even on the keyboard, and I just use my index finger for the rest of the buttons.

Probably a bit weird, and it's the way I learned to type growing up, and the most efficient way for me.

Anyone else goes the unconventional route when they type?

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
I was taught with the ASDF method but haven't used it since. My fingers kinda just float over the keys without touching any that I'm not actively pressing.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
I have my own method, but often get a lot of compliments about it. I've had numerous people say that they can't believe how quickly, or well, I type.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
I put my thumb on the spacebar, pinky on the shift key and go from there.

The Stig

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty strictly ASDF for me apart from "Y". I hit that key with my left index. It's a farther stretch, but it feels more natural for me.

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
Never had formal lessons so my typing technique is a bit of a mess. I mainly just use the first two fingers of both hands, with little fingers handling modifier keys, thumbs for space bar, and ring fingers hanging out, not doing anything. I'm still fast and can touch type but that's more brute force practice than any special technique.

I did make an effort a while back to bring in other fingers to get my speed up but having to relearn things just slowed me down.

Subpar Scrub

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Shift/a/e/d n\i\p\"

My fingers are spaced weird but idgaf. I change my hand positions on the keyboard constantly when I type and almost never use my pinky.

menacer

Dec 15, 2018
Did anyone ever have that one crappy Mavis Beacon typing program with that one minigame where if you didn't type fast enough or right your submarines window would crack from sharks and you would die? Kids learning program everyone.

hijukal

Oct 25, 2017
My main home keys are AOEU HTNS

With QWERTY I sort of float around, but with Dvorak I mostly touch type.

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
I've learned typing myself, but I'm very close to that method (converted to Azerty that is) I have left hand fingers on Z and D , and right hand hoover around J, I and O when I start. I type with five fingers (index and middle of the left, and same on the right + thumb for space)

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
i kinda do:

Shift - A - S - D + J - I - L - Ă– (right of L)
So ... wonky home row, i guess.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I always have the PC gamer hold so SHIFT+ALT+W A D, but I don't need anything else cause I am still way faster even than the people that learned it the right way...and I can watch a movie in the mean time too!

Ruruja

Oct 25, 2017
I have my index fingers on F and J.

The rest are just placed wherever they land.

Sadire

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 31, 2017
I am too busy typing to notice any actual technique.

I think my left hand naturally goes to shift/a/w/d/ space-bar though.

ArtVandelay

User requested permanent ban
Banned
May 29, 2018
source.gif

Oct 25, 2017
I think I learnt asdf in school but it was so long ago I don't remember. All I know is my pinky does nothing and my other fingers float over the home row in seemingly proper position. I guess it's 90% proper.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
I haven't been taugh any method so i'm winging it as i see fit.

I usually start with my fingers on AZS and KOP (i don't count the pinkies). With, for you qwerty users translate to QWS and KOP. I have no particular reason for this, it's just where my fingers are usually hovering above when i start typing.

Tangyn

Oct 29, 2017
I never learnt properly and it's kinda embarrassing honestly! I can type quick enough for my needs (80 or so wpm) but I use two fingers mostly and occasionally little fingers / thumb.

It looks ridiculous too as they are moving quite quickly!

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Never been properly trained but at my peak I could do about 130 wpm. I'm 30 now and my fingers definitely feel less finessed and I make more mistakes, but I'm still pretty good.

Oct 26, 2017
Gamer-style: pinky on the shift key, thumb on the space bar and the rest on ASD.

The right hand is on JKLĂ© + space.

MrChom

Oct 26, 2017
Excessively fast hunt and peck from me. I rarely use more than three fingers (both indexes and right middle) and occasionally a thumb when I'm typing.....my left hand usually hangs over WASD, though....

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I learned to touch type by working in QA for the company that published Mavis Beacon :)

but I'm only part way there - I still usually do numbers by looking down at the keyboard and taking my fingers off the home keys - likewise with anything other than basic punctuation.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I use a version of Dvorak adapted to Spanish. (R and H are swapped, there's the ñ, there are tildes and such)
On my phone, I type with two thumbs in Qwerty.

Oct 28, 2017
Index fingers only. I don't touch type using any other fingers, except my thumb on space, actually. Still pretty speedy and don't see a need to adapt to touch typing.

Popelady

Growth Manager at Splash Damage
Verified
Mar 11, 2019
I can touch type so asdfjkl; is required, as its how i learnt. However I know i freak people out by looking at them whilst typing (and not looking at the keys cos I know what i'm typing)

one of my mates told me it used to scare him in lectures when i'd be typing and having a conversation at the same time.

Treasure Silvergun

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 4, 2017
I self-taught myself the ASDF method but for some reason I absolutely dread to use my right pinky, so I usually press P with my ring finger.

I also often stretch my indexes farther than I should for the letters in the center lower row, so at times I'll use the right when I should use the left.

I'm not a very good typist.

Adam_Roman

Oct 25, 2017
I learned to type with the home row but I haven't consciously thought about it in well over a decade. I use the little home row nubs to familiarize myself with a new keyboard but after a sentence or two I can type pretty quick on anything.

Mupod

Oct 25, 2017
I learned how to type before I took any typing classes in school, so I just kind of know where the keys are and make it happen. I also type really, really damn fast and fairly accurately so hey whatever works.

Oct 25, 2017
I can touch type so asdfjkl; is required, as its how i learnt. However I know i freak people out by looking at them whilst typing (and not looking at the keys cos I know what i'm typing)

one of my mates told me it used to scare him in lectures when i'd be typing and having a conversation at the same time.
LOL I scare people like that too

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Was taught ASDF in school.

But I have poor accuracy with numbers and specials characters.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Took a typing class in junior high, and have generally used the traditional method since then, and I can type pretty quickly. Not amazing speed, as there are people who can type much faster here, but people who didn't take a typing class are usually amused by how fast I seem to type.

Lol yeah as long as I set my fingers at asdf jkl; I can type without looking, it's fun to see people react to this.

LukeOP

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's magic. Both hands hover over the keys and I use muscle memory and experience to hit the corrects keys with three fingers on each hand. I never rest my fingers on any keys.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
Left Pinky = Shift, CTRL or ALT
Right Pinky = Enter or Backspace

Three fingers on both hands = letters and numbers within reach*

*Left Ring finger = dedicated for Tab, but can multitask

Left thumb - Spacebar

Right thumb - available to be mapped to any lower button

Somehow I can type 60 wpm doing this.

Rayne

Oct 25, 2017
Did anyone ever have that one crappy Mavis Beacon typing program with that one minigame where if you didn't type fast enough or right your submarines window would crack from sharks and you would die? Kids learning program everyone.

Ah that takes me back yeah. And the one with the insects being eaten I believe.

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
I was taught to touch type properly as a kid

But then my style got completely warped as an adult

Went from "A/S/D/F J/K/L" to this wack "Ctrl OR Shift/A/S/D J/K/L" setup that also involves me using my right hand index finger to hit the spacebar like a complete weirdo

I blame years of relying on shortcuts and also doing graphic design for a bit.