• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
I don't play many jrpgs, so this is one of the rare times that I can post in this thread: I'm playing Final Fnatasy (6) III on my SNES Classic. This was the last Final Fantasy game that I enjoyed, and I was curious to see if I'd still enjoy it now, or if all the things that annoy me about this style of game would mean I didn't enjoy even this one anymore. So far, I am still enjoying it, but man the random encounters, boring combat, grinding, etc really do bug me. We'll see if I stick with it long term and actually beat it. I don't beat games very often these days, so probably not haha

Raytheon

Oct 25, 2017
The Lightning Returns thread shamed me into going back to that game. I really enjoy the fashion aspect, reminds me of TWEWY. The battle system is hard for me to wrap my head around though :/

I also still need to return to FFXV at some point.

KirbyStamped

Oct 26, 2017
Secret of Mana

Was playing it with my roommate on the SNES Classic. I'm honestly looking forward to the remake more than ever now just because I want to see if they'll rebalance the mechanics. Like, I think it's better played without magic just because it's so broken haha. We never once grinded our magic; just used it on enemies while walking in between cities and on bosses, and gosh, even low level magic with the Sprite just destroys everything since it stuns anything it hits and there's no way to interrupt casting. Weapons are just so unreliable that you're just better nuking everything.

I still love it because it just LOOKS and SOUNDS so great. Like, gosh, the sprite work is just so bright, colorful, and well-defined that it's just a joy to look at times. I really do think it's one of the best looking games of the SNES era, gameplay balance be damned.

BlueBadger

Oct 26, 2017
I just started playing YS VIII a couple days ago, so I'm not very far. Seems pretty fun so far tho!
I keep hearing things about poor translation in parts, which I'm secretly excited for because they make me laugh LOL.

Rigby

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bravely Default.
Amazing game and story, can't wait to finish it off and start Bravely Second.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
Currently going through Xenoblade Chronicles for my first time. Plays well on Dolphin thus far.

Deleted member 5159

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
hey man, i just remembered that i left suikoden on hold a few weeks ago and then was away from home for a while and never got back into it :0

CopperPuppy

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing at the moment, sadly. I'm itching to start Trails in the Sky FC on my Vita but I just don't think I'll have time with Origins, Odyssey, and Ultra Sun dropping soon. Then XC2 gets the nod after those, so...

StoveOven

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've been playing through Persona 5 over the past 5 months, and I don't remember the last time I've been this conflicted about a game. And it's not just a simple "love the story/hate the gameplay" sort of split. Specifically within the story there are things I love and things that drive me insane. I'll have to gather my thoughts once I finish the game to see where I ultimately come down on it. It's definitely a disappointment considering how much I love Persona 4, but that doesn't mean there isn't a lot to love here too. The game's biggest issue might just be that it's tonally inconsistent or that the tone doesn't match the subject matter a lot of the time. I don't know. I'll be able to examine more once I actually beat the damn thing.

Deleted member 4378

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Playing Atelier Firis right now, since I liked Atelier Sophie quite a bit. Not a fan of time limits, but apparently it's very generous.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
I'm currently playing Etrian Odyssey V and having a great time. Looks like the OT hasn't been recreated yet? I will probably ask questions on the most related resetera thread I can find (maybe this one?) if I get stuck :P

crimilde

Oct 26, 2017
Almost done with Persona 2, and I absolutely love it up until now. I still can't believe it took me so long to get to it. It may actually be the best in the series for me, but that remains to be seen once I finish it.

Mexen

Oct 26, 2017
I am thinking of buying Danganronpa 2. It's 20 bucks on Steam but I feel like I should wait for a sale.

Final_Fantasy_VI.jpg

ff6 on my snes mini still amazing today
Great game. My favourite in the series.

shimon

Oct 25, 2017
The Lightning Returns thread shamed me into going back to that game. I really enjoy the fashion aspect, reminds me of TWEWY. The battle system is hard for me to wrap my head around though :/

I also still need to return to FFXV at some point.

No shame in that my friend,enjoy that combat and play dressup :)

What's the problem with combat?Maybe I can help?

EDarkness

Oct 25, 2017
Currently playing Nights of Azure 2. Pretty fun game. Lots and lots of women. Love the design, too.

Akselziys

Aksys Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
Just finished and fully completed Shin Megami Tensei Synchronicity Prologue, which was awesome.

Currently playing Far East of Eden Tengai Makyou Zero and Terranigma :)

Bringing it back old school ;)

Last edited:

Slack

Oct 25, 2017
A mix of Etrian Odyssey 5 and Blue Reflection.

I'm digging EO5 so far - it's just as difficult as the old ones were.

TheFailGamer

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Currently, I'm playing Persona 5. I am now at August 1st. Mostly finished the palace last night, just need to send the calling card. The game has its lengths - just picked it up again after not playing for a few weeks - but it's fun once you get into it again. Also, I adore the music and artstyle of this one. The OST is one of the best to listen to when doing programming work.

Also, it was much easier to pick up again than my other favorite, Xenoblade. I had to start that one completely anew once I stopped playing once I reached
Alcamoth

Deleted member 2102

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Switching between Tengai Makyou Zero, a replay of Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne, and chipping through Trails in the Sky (almost caught up to where I lost my save). Loving all of them, but Tengai Makyou Zero especially is impressing me. Very charming SNES RPG, and the translation patch is wonderful.

rucury

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Puerto Rico
I'm enjoying a replay of FF6 on GBA with fan fixes as well first playthroughs of Golden Sun and Dragon Quest III on the GBC. All in all, really enjoying them!!

On Golden Sun, I love how expresive the characters are, and their speech sound effect is so Camelot (Mario Tennis, etc.)

Toxie

Oct 26, 2017
Danganronpa V3. It's pretty good so far and i hope this keeps being interesting the whole game.

Lazarre

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
I'm currently near the end of Shin Megami Tensei IV : Apocalypse but I somehow lack motivation to finish it. Even if globally nice this episode miss the mix of revelation and mystical intrigue of SMTIV, and without this the global ambiance is somehow ponderous. I will probably go to the end in some days but for now...
I gave a try at Etrian Odissey Untold (thanks to a low price on 3DS e-shop). I'm not very fond of Dungeon-RPGs but I wanted to have a concrete experience on this one. And even if I'm not really enthousiastic about some mechanics, it's a good game to spend some time.

Lothar

Oct 25, 2017
I've been playing Persona 5 for a while and not really enjoying it that much. Characters in P5 so far don't seem to be as much fun Chie amd Kanji from P4. Morgana is incredibly annoying. The repeated phrases you hear during non-voiced dialogue is also incredibly annoying. The gameplay is too easy and battles are a mindless chore. I just did the museum. I'm not getting much of out of it. Seems to be a big step down coming after playing Nier: Automata.

Raytheon

Oct 25, 2017
What's the problem with combat?Maybe I can help?

Mostly just used to spamming to defeat smaller enemies, so when I come across a miniboss it takes me by surprise that I can't just spam attacks. I also need to work on the timings for blocking, that seems important. Is there any trick to using magic more effectively?

Yohane

Oct 25, 2017
Slowing going through Suikoden 1. Liking it so far but I wish I had more time to play.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I dread looking into my backlog so I can't answer the question in the title. I'm almost done with Dragon Quest 4 though.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Yakuza Kiwami. It counts, Majima said so.

I was also working on Ys, but I shelved it to wait for the retranslation patch.

shimon

Oct 25, 2017
Mostly just used to spamming to defeat smaller enemies, so when I come across a miniboss it takes me by surprise that I can't just spam attacks. I also need to work on the timings for blocking, that seems important. Is there any trick to using magic more effectively?

Yes. Cast your next spell right before you "release" your first spell. There will be a visual and audio sound if you do it correctly. You may need to watch a video bc it's hard to explain. There is a timing for both magic and physical attack. Magic one is easier. You will do more damage thanks to that.

Also blocking is very important. Learn the attacks so you know which are the easiest to Perfect Guard and you will have an easier time. Some attacks HAVE TO be Perfect Guarded otherwise you will take damage.

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Osaka
Final Fantasy XII Zodiac Age and NieR Automata.

The first is a refreshing revisit. The restructure class system only makes it better and more like FFV and Tactics, both awesome games.
My only wish is that it was a little more difficult. I'm halfway through and haven't got a Game Over once.
Auto Save would definitely make the difficulty not too frustrating too, but the difficulty is nowhere to be found.
Maybe I'm just better at games than I was in 2007.

NieR is pleasing me so far. I'm not a big fan of content pad and open world games, but I'm giving this game a chance, and loving it.
Combat isn't super deep like a character action game, but it still feels good to do perfect dodges, and to combo fools into the air.
I'm loving the cross-genre schmup and twin-stick shooter sections as well.
Only played the first 3 hours (just fought that naked dude), but it's looking to be one of this year/generation's best games.
Writing is hilarious too.
OH AND THE MUSIC!!!

That's all for now. :)

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
On the middle of Bravely Default, at least I was until Zelda BotW grabbed me and doesn't want to let go.

Its great, and I love trying with the job system. However, I got to the part where you begin to repeat the worlds and I admit its a bit annoying to go through the same thing time and time again.

I want to finish it soon to move to Bravely Second, which is on my backlog.