• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'll never forgive Square for the Automata port. That game deserves better. IIRC it's not even Platinum that was responsible for the port job, and Square has still refused to give them any money to fix it. I can't even be mad at people saying they refuse to buy the port on principle alone, despite it being one of my top 3 JRPG's of all time.

It's really weird too because performance varies seemingly at random. Some people play the game with no issues, some people can play the game well if they install the FAR mod, and some people can't get the game to run at all. I played it on my brother's laptop which has a GTX 1050 and an i7 7700k and without FAR I had very little in the way of issues, the game did not crash on me even once and any stutter I got I think was mostly due to area load. Although everything was set to low and I played it at 720p just to guarantee a smoother experience.
Yeah, the game is incredible(other than route b), but I'll be holding steady at 60 FPS then suddenly it drops to 20, and then back to 60. It is better with FAR installed, but I still get area load stutters and the occasional random stutter. It isn't game breaking, but still super annoying. I do wish I had bought it on PS4 instead though.

Oh and I have only had it crash twice on me, but I almost quit after the 2nd one.
It crashed during the hacking cutscenes after that long ass boss fight with the ship boss, so not only did I have to redo the boss fight cuz route b, I had to redo it again because the game crashed. I aso disliked 9s gameplay because I found the twin stick minigame just not fun.

Last edited:

Paltheos

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played Grandia yet but it's on my to-do list because I regularly see its battle system praised as one of the best in the genre, along with Valkyrie Profile, Press Turn and other cool ones.

It's "below of Tales of Graces" tier, which is damn good.

Grandia's a whole package deal though. It does everything well. It's a rollercoaster adventure that lives up to its own name, which is a tall order.
I can think of a few slights against the game, like sometimes Justin is a little too dumb, and the levels are often a bit bigger and messier than they should be, but these faults can generally be overlooked (and, while definitely still flaws, occasionally work to the game's advantage - The excitement and anticipation of the parade of levels leading up to and including the End of the World stage becomes palpable by the end).

Glass Arrows

Jan 10, 2019
Oh and I have only had it crash twice on me, but I almost quit after the 2nd one.
It crashed during the hacking cutscenes after that long ass boss fight with the ship boss, so not only did I have to redo the boss fight cuz route b, I had to redo it again because the game crashed. I aso disliked 9s gameplay because I found the twin stick minigame just not fun.

Yikes. I didn't mind that segment the first time around during route A, but I definitely get why people find it so tedious and the thought of crashing after that and having to do it all over again is infuriating. Good thing you eventually got through it.

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
I figured I can ask this in here in hopes one of you have played through it.

I finally English patched Tenshi No Uta / Song of the Angel to playthrough, but so far it only works for me in bsnes/higan and not snes9x so I cannot play it on my 3DS, which makes me a little upset.

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yikes. I didn't mind that segment the first time around during route A, but I definitely get why people find it so tedious and the thought of crashing after that and having to do it all over again is infuriating. Good thing you eventually got through it.
Yeah I enjoyed it during route A, but damn if the game didn't wear thin on me during route b, and to have that happen, it was infuriating. But on the flip side, I am so glad I got through it cuz route C is the shit.

takufox

Oct 27, 2017
Playing Xenoblade Chronicles 2 - Been trying to get Kos Mos for the longest, no luck :(
And
Shadow Hearts From the New World - It's a shame this series didnt popular, it deserves some love.

Glass Arrows

Jan 10, 2019
Yeah I enjoyed it during route A, but damn if the game didn't wear thin on me during route b, and to have that happen, it was infuriating. But on the flip side, I am so glad I got through it cuz route C is the shit.
Yeah I heard a lot about route C in the three years before I played this game and everything people were saying was true. I got so hyped when I saw the credits pop up again at the start, basically signalling "ok real talk, the game starts now".

Knurek

Oct 26, 2017
I replayed Grandia last year and I feel like it's a strong contender for best JRPG of that generation. Combat system is excellent (although it's too easy and some of the animations could be faster), the graphics still hold up, and the characters are really enjoyable. I'm hoping the remaster they're doing really does the game justice.
The game really needs an optional hard mode.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I beat Final Fantasy VII for the millionth time.

I've moved on to an old school JRPG that I've never beaten. Phantasy Star II.

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
Being playing Grandia recently, just got Feena in my party.

I'm pretty hard on game of that generation, so I'm surprised by how much I'm liking it so far.
The battle camera is baffling, and framerate can get pretty bad at points tho

Grandia is one of my all-time favorite JRPGs. Have the itching to play it again, but with it being on the side of completed games for me (which are less than non-completed), I need to continue work on my huge backlog.

That said, when the remaster is finally released, it will be occupying my time.

Right now, I am playing both Dragon Quest VII and Rainbow Skies.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
I can't even imagine. It's giving me that classic PS2 Era JRPG vibes. The cast, the music, the humor, just everything I love about the genre is in this game so far.

I'm just trying to sneak in a hour here and a hour there to get my time in on this game.
It pretty much kickstarted my interest in JRPGs again after several years of feeling uninspired by them.

Deleted member 30681

user requested account closure
Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Trying so hard to not start Trails in the Sky SC. I want to play it so badly, but I think it's best for me to space it out a bit. 3 hours into Digital Devil Saga 2 and the game is fantastic. Love the changes to the mantra system.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
I've caught the Ys bug after loving Oath in Felghana. Started Origin last night and already having a blast. I miss the 80's power metal soundtrack, though.

Shurp

Nov 29, 2017
Trying so hard to not start Trails in the Sky SC. I want to play it so badly, but I think it's best for me to space it out a bit. 3 hours into Digital Devil Saga 2 and the game is fantastic. Love the changes to the mantra system.

I lasted a few days before I caved on that, the ending for FC made sure or that, I am almost at the end of SC now I think

Deleted member 30681

user requested account closure
Banned
Nov 4, 2017
I lasted a few days before I caved on that, the ending for FC made sure or that, I am almost at the end of SC now I think
I think I'm just going to start it as soon as I finish DDS lol. I was going to play Paper Mario after it but I think I'll just swap it out with SC. Fuck dude that ending blew my mind.

ccieag

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Vail, CO
I'm playing WoFF, but made the mistake of trying FFVII after downloading it. Seriously thinking about putting WoFF on hold to play FFVII first - love the improvements like FF mode. Still I'm in Chapter 15 of WoFF, and the game is good

It's just not FFVII

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Souls III, just started up the ringed city DLC:

Those angels are kicking my ass, I know you've got to find their summoners or whatever but I'm having trouble even getting that far

ByteCulture

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Finished Ni No Kuni 2 now and want to go back to Dragon Quest 11 - Iam at the "DLC" after the Main Game, trying to find the "Real" Ending.

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
Bravely Default. 23 hours in and I still don't when and what classes to use.

I need to revisit Bravely Default, I kind of bounced off it at the time because I was (wrongly) expecting another Final Fantasy IX. But now that I've played FFV I'm actually kind of itching for more of a systems driven straightforward game.

Deleted member 40102

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
I arrived at the very end in tales of p << (don't remember the name ) and for no reason I stopped I need to finnish it soon.

Mexen

Oct 26, 2017
I need to revisit Bravely Default, I kind of bounced off it at the time because I was (wrongly) expecting another Final Fantasy IX. But now that I've played FFV I'm actually kind of itching for more of a systems driven straightforward game.
You know IX is beloved among fans but I missed it back in the day. Is the Switch port worth it?

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
You know IX is beloved among fans but I missed it back in the day. Is the Switch port worth it?

It's an okay port other than the issues with the world map music not looping properly and some missing sound effects.

If you have a Vita though I'd recommend the PSone classic version (especially if you've got custom firmware as you can fast forward to mitigate some load times).

Shurp

Nov 29, 2017
I think I'm just going to start it as soon as I finish DDS lol. I was going to play Paper Mario after it but I think I'll just swap it out with SC. Fuck dude that ending blew my mind.

I totally didn't see it coming, but it all totally made sense. and SC is awesome, I'm trying to decide if I wanna jump straight onto The Third when I finish it.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
Bravely Default. 23 hours in and I still don't when and what classes to use.
You can't do it wrong. Just expierment around, change jobs/abilities often and have fun.

There's "optimal" setups that will break the game, creating loops and such, like all JRPGs. But just go wild with it, don't worry about all that and have fun. It's a super fun system and I'm sure there's dozens and dozens of viable team setups, so explore!

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
I totally didn't see it coming, but it all totally made sense. and SC is awesome, I'm trying to decide if I wanna jump straight onto The Third when I finish it.
I'm in the final chapter of SC. Been playing at a friends though as I don't have a PC or steam account and he's been away for four months. I need to finish it :(

Oct 27, 2017
Ireland
I have a massive rpg backlog, currently working through Pokemon Omega Ruby and Etrian Odyssey V.

Dragon Quest 8 (3DS)
Pokemon Omega Ruby
Pokemon Fire Red
Etrian Odyssey V
Bravely Default
Lunar: Silver Star Harmony
Ys Seven
Ys: Memories of Celceta
Solatorobo: Red the Hunter
Tales of the Abyss
Inazuma Eleven
Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story
Paper Mario
Super Paper Mario
Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
Grandia
Suikoden
Shadow Hearts: Covenant
Shin Megami Tensei IV
Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga
Shin Megami Tensei: Lucifer's Call
Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth
Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together
Breath of Fire III
Final Fantasy III (aka VI)
Final Fantasy XIII
Atelier Sophie: The Alchemist of the Mysterious Book
Costume Quest
Bastion
Transistor
The Last Story
Tokyo Mirage Sessions ♯FE
Secret of Mana
Opoona
The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel

ElOdyssey

Oct 30, 2017
I have a massive rpg backlog, currently working through Pokemon Omega Ruby and Etrian Odyssey V.

Dragon Quest 8 (3DS)
Pokemon Omega Ruby
Pokemon Fire Red
Etrian Odyssey V
Bravely Default
Lunar: Silver Star Harmony
Ys Seven
Ys: Memories of Celceta
Solatorobo: Red the Hunter
Tales of the Abyss
Inazuma Eleven
Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story
Paper Mario
Super Paper Mario
Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
Grandia
Suikoden
Shadow Hearts: Covenant
Shin Megami Tensei IV
Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga
Shin Megami Tensei: Lucifer's Call
Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth
Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together
Breath of Fire III
Final Fantasy III (aka VI)
Final Fantasy XIII
Atelier Sophie: The Alchemist of the Mysterious Book
Costume Quest
Bastion
Transistor
The Last Story
Tokyo Mirage Sessions ♯FE
Secret of Mana
Opoona
The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel
This reminds me, anyone here want to make a group where we encourage each other to play a certain of time a week or so to knock out our backlog? I know most of us here are busy so I'd imagine we would have to create some rule so it can welcome anyone and everyone. If you are interested then lets create some friendly rules to kill our backlog!

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
About 12 hours into Atelier Lulua at the moment. Did not realise how much I enjoyed and missed all these characters.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This reminds me, anyone here want to make a group where we encourage each other to play a certain of time a week or so to knock out our backlog? I know most of us here are busy so I'd imagine we would have to create some rule so it can welcome anyone and everyone. If you are interested then lets create some friendly rules to kill our backlog!
That thread already exists, its monthly. Usually titled "3 in ____ (name of month)".

Oct 27, 2017
Just started Blue Reflection on PC. Music is amazing. Story so far is standard magical girl stuff, but I think I'll have a good time with it.

Oh, and DLC is mostly weird and creepy as hell.