• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Finished Blue Reflection recently. It's my new benchmark for mediocre games that I care about just enough to complete them, but no more than that. The battles, environments, enemies and antisocial links were far too repetitive to make it recommendable. If it wasn't for the OST and bosses it would've gotten a Death March.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Just finished chapter 1 of trails in the sky.....and it isn't so great so far.....story is so so and Estelle is boring as hell but maybe i'm not so far and the game gets better?

Haha You have no idea how much i almost dropped Trails in the Sky in the beginning because the game was boring and stuff. But somehow i insisted on this, and i really really glad i did back in 2014 like.

When the game actually clicks, the payoff is out of this world. The second half of the game is great, then you'll need Sky second chapter in your life, and Sky the third after that.

And i can't imagine someone playing Trails in the Sky the Third and not getting completely obsessed with this series. You'll have to go out of your way to play Zero/Ao no Kiseki, and you will have the need to play the Cold Steel games after that, trust me.

So yeah, i would say try to stick with it. The games are slow as fuck but there's no payoff as great. Flash forwarding 5 years after almost dropping the first Trails in the Sky multiple times, this is easily one of my favorite series ever.

Not saying the same will happen to you, but try to atleast reach the end of this game. If you're not completely hyped to play the second one in the exactly moment you finished the first, then yeah, this series is not for you.

Last edited:

Synless

Oct 30, 2017
Xenoblade Chronicles X. I've owned it since launch and stopped at chapter 4 because I couldn't stop myself from exploring more than I needed to. I got an itch for Xenoblade picked it back up. Jesus that ch.6 boss! I was way over leveled (lvl. 28) and he was difficult up to when I hit that level.

Deleted member 56266

Account closed at user request
Banned
Apr 25, 2019
Replaying FF7 on Switch in anticipation of the remake coming relatively soon. Up to temple of the ancients. I kind of forgot how short this game is for a FF game. Maybe it's just me though but it seems like I'm speeding though it

Femto0

Banned
Apr 28, 2018
Haha You have no idea how much i almost dropped Trails in the Sky in the beginning because the game was boring and stuff. But somehow i insisted on this, and i really really glad i did back in 2014 like.

When the game actually clicks, the payoff is out of this world. The second half of the game is great, then you'll need Sky second chapter in your life, and Sky the third after that.

And i can't imagine someone playing Trails in the Sky the Third and not getting completely obsessed with this series. You'll have to go out of your way to play Zero/Ao no Kiseki, and you will have the need to play the Cold Steel games after that, trust me.

So yeah, i would say try to stick with it. The games are slow as fuck but there's no payoff as great. Flash forwarding 5 years after almost dropping the first Trails in the Sky multiple times, this is easily one of my favorite series ever.

Not saying the same will happen to you, but try to atleast reach the end of this game. If you're not completely hyped to play the second one in the exactly moment you finished the first, then yeah, this series is not for you.
You aren't the first one to say me this i insist and hope this game turns fun

Misterhbk

Oct 27, 2017
I've been on a JRPG roll recently. Finished Trails in the Sky FC not too long ago, but wanted to take a break from the series for a bit so I played through Grandia 2 on the Dreamcast. Just finished that as well and I think it's time to jump into Trails in the Sky SC. I'm a little nervous about another slow start.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Playing Cold Steel for the first time. Liking the game a lot, even if it re-uses lots of... everything like all Kiseki 2nd chapters.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't finished Persona Q2 (and I won't for some time), but Trials of Mana (Seiken Densetsu 3) launched as part of the Mana Collection on Switch and I'm going to have to play it.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
Completed Let's Go Eevee (which for me means beating Red and completing the dex minus Mew).

Also finished DQ8 3DS. Will probably do the postgame dungeon for the true ending but have no desire to do the super hard extra dungeon. Can't wait to finally play 11 this fall!!

Reektan

Oct 30, 2017
Completed Let's Go Eevee (which for me means beating Red and completing the dex minus Mew).

Also finished DQ8 3DS. Will probably do the postgame dungeon for the true ending but have no desire to do the super hard extra dungeon. Can't wait to finally play 11 this fall!!

I bought DQ8 right after I finished 11. Still not gotten to it. Hope it's good.

obsoke

Oct 27, 2017
Finished Trials of Cold Steel 1 a few days ago. I was pretty pleased with how it turned out in the end.
I really thought Rufus was C - I guess I should have known that the characters whose name starts with the letter "C" would be C. I thought that would be too obvious!
Although, the relationship between Alisa and her grandfather... just... why? I understand the old pervy man thing is a trope in some Japanese media (never really found it funny) but its HIS GRANDDAUGHTER, CMON! It's just gross, not funny and really sours the tone & mood at some points.
I'm pretty tempted to jump right into 2 but with no PC version of 3 (and no localization or 4) announced, I figure there's no rush - especially after playing Sky the 3rd & Cold Steel 1 back-to-back.

Taking a little break with Collection of Mana (SD3!) before FFXIV Shadowbringers at the end of the month. Once I've exhausted content there, I'm going to start the Trails Crossbell duology.

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
Beat Project X Zone 2 surviving the advanced difficulty! After beating the game for the first time back at release I thought it was better in every way then the original save for the battling which felt like they'd overcomplicated it abit. Think my minds changed on that now cause its more complicated to the benefit of battles and attack phases overall being much swifter. Gimme another one of these please. Surely they can still be made even with a few key people having left right?!

Finished Blue Reflection recently. It's my new benchmark for mediocre games that I care about just enough to complete them, but no more than that. The battles, environments, enemies and antisocial links were far too repetitive to make it recommendable. If it wasn't for the OST and bosses it would've gotten a Death March.
Yup not a good game at all as I also recently found out ~_~

RingoGaSuki

Apr 22, 2019
I'm about halfway into FFX-2, a few hours into DQVI and a couple of hours into DQ Heroes I at the moment. Having the best time with DQH at the moment so I'll probably finish that first. I loved FFX, and am enjoying X-2, but I wish they kept Yuna's more serious characterisation from the first game, I love humour in games but haven't laughed or even smiled once so far.

jacks81x

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Just platinum'd Tokyo Xanadu eX+. I didn't think I would like this as much as I did. It really grew on me over time. The story surprised me in many ways, especially with the big twist. Gameplay is competent and there's enough variation in the different characters such that it didn't feel too repetitive. I would very much welcome a sequel to this.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
Just platinum'd Tokyo Xanadu eX+. I didn't think I would like this as much as I did. It really grew on me over time. The story surprised me in many ways, especially with the big twist. Gameplay is competent and there's enough variation in the different characters such that it didn't feel too repetitive. I would very much welcome a sequel to this.
Same, I'm kind of a defender of this game ha ha. The dungeons were pretty Bland but rather enjoyed the story, cast, music and gameplay loop.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
Playing Octopath Traveler at the moment. Played about 10 hours at release but had to part ways with my switch for a while. Anyway, got it. Ack recently so here I am. I started a new game and it feels like I'm leveling up faster, did they change something?

I need to get back to DQXI because I'm pretty far into that and I don't want to go too long without playing it and risk having to start over, which I plan on doing anyway with the switch version in 16bit mode.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
Man, I can't decide if I want to pull the trigger on FF12. It's on sale on Switch.

I played it back on release and I remember liking it, then getting burnt out on it and never finishing it. I gots plenty of other things to play, but the sale is tempting!

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished up Crisis Core, got around to beating all the missions this time around. Now i'm starting another playthrough of Shadow Hearts.

Man, I can't decide if I want to pull the trigger on FF12. It's on sale on Switch.

I played it back on release and I remember liking it, then getting burnt out on it and never finishing it. I gots plenty of other things to play, but the sale is tempting!

I thought XII on PS2 was ok, i think Zodiac Age is one of the best RPGs ever made, the improvements like the 2x speed option and class systems cannot be understated.

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017

I have a serious case of decision paralysis deciding if I want to continue to play Vesperia or buy FFXII. I've played a couple of hours of Vesperia and it's pleasant, but it hasn't grabbed me all that much yet.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
Final dungeon of DQ7 has arrived. Gonna buy some new equipment then beat this game. It's gonna end up being my least favorite DQ game other than the first 3.

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
Thanks to the interest in Tales of Arise I picked up Tales of Vesperia Definitive on Steam and about 6hours in I'm loving it. The port is pretty good quality (Though I am using the mod fix) and it aged quite well overall.

I loved Tales Of games back in the Snes and PS1 era but most that came after didn't click as much for me (though Vesperia & Abyss were pretty solid) so happy to find another I enjoy :)

GTOAkira

Sep 1, 2018
Since Ramadan I have been on a snes rpg marathon. Finished Breath of fire 1, breath of fire 2, Lufia 1, Lufia 2 and chrono trigger. Im currently playing Star Ocean and I still cant believe its actually an snes game. It just looks so good. Wish the english translated version was better and had less bug especially the random crashing.

Oct 28, 2017
Finished the first Shadow Heart game in around 50 hours, that game reminds me that most JRPGs don't put much effort into making their enemies look intimidating which is quite a shame. I also like how the game put a lot of effort into writing details about its items and enemies.
JC5r8eu.jpg

I've started a playthrough of Shadow Hearts 2, I'm already 8 hours in.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
Finished the first Shadow Heart game in around 50 hours, that game reminds me that most JRPGs don't put much effort into making their enemies look intimidating which is quite a shame. I also like how the game put a lot of effort into writing details about its items and enemies.

I've started a playthrough of Shadow Hearts 2, I'm already 8 hours in.
I loved Shadow Hearts 1 & 2 back in the PS2 era, it's been years since I played them though.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Finished Persona Q2 after playing it a lot since release. Now I can go back to the games I started up like Okami HD and, more importantly for this thread, Trials of Mana.

I've hardly put any time into either, but I think I'll concentrate on Trials of Mana.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
I'm about 15 hours into FFXII on Switch - haven't played it since it released on PS2 and I forgot how damn good it is. Balthier is like an A+ sidekick... wish he was the protag.

Just downloaded FFIX and will probably get through Disc One again for the 10th time. Debating on picking up Mana Collection for Trials, since I've never played that one; but I want physical so I'll wait.

DQXI is a must buy for all the Switch enhancements this September.

tiebreaker

Oct 25, 2017
Vesperia Remastered. Been switching VO around, I think I prefer the japanese VO more, they have more characters to them, especially Karol.

Anyway, I'm at the colliseum now, how far am I?

lightning16

May 17, 2019
Been playing Paper Mario 64 for the first time on Wii U. Long overdue playthrough considering The Thousand-Year Door is my favorite game. Honestly a bit surprised at just how similar this game is to TTYD. A lot of the story beats are similar, and of course most of the mechanics (which is to be expected, at least). Can't complain considering my love of TTYD, though. Got through the chapter with Shy Guy's Toy Box last night. I shouldn't have trouble finishing this before CTR comes out on the 21st.

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
Finally got Tales of Vesperia on Switch. It has been ~ 11 years since I played it last. I completely forgot the whole plot and everything, and I nearly beat it on Xbox 360 before my console died. I'm actually happy that I do not remember as it feels like a completely blind new experience again.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
Been playing Paper Mario 64 for the first time on Wii U. Long overdue playthrough considering The Thousand-Year Door is my favorite game. Honestly a bit surprised at just how similar this game is to TTYD. A lot of the story beats are similar, and of course most of the mechanics (which is to be expected, at least). Can't complain considering my love of TTYD, though. Got through the chapter with Shy Guy's Toy Box last night. I shouldn't have trouble finishing this before CTR comes out on the 21st.

Still my favorite game in the series. Bow is the best partner!

Snowfruit

Teyvat Traveler
Jun 8, 2018
United States
I'm around 30 hours into Tales of Vesperia now. It really did start getting much better 20 hours in.. the combat is flowing great with the new stuff I'm unlocking, story is coming together, and the characters are great.

If I wasn't such a huge Tales fan though I would've definitely quit pretty early on though, the start is pretty rough.

SprachBrooks

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I recently completed - and enjoyed - Ni No Kuni II. Decided to jump into YS VIII. How long is this game, on average? Not sure I'm up for another 30-40-hour RPG.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
I'm excited to pick up FFXII this morning for Switch from Best Buy. I played the original back on release (I remember playing in my dorm room in college!) and never finished it, but made it far.

I hear the game play has improved, which is good because I already enjoyed it. I remember thinking the story/characters were "whatever", I don't remember really following it well, like I didn't get what was happening. Maybe I'll make more sense of it this time around!

I'm also slowly going through: CrossCode. I go through stretches where I really enjoy it, and others where I get bored.

And Trails in the Sky SC. I played up to like chapter 4 a year ago, and lost my save file. So I'm trying to backtrack all the way and I'm still in Chapter 1. The speed hack definitely helps, but I'm just trying to go through as quickly as possible.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
Finished DQ7, yay. No desire for any postgame shit, game is going away forever.

Now started Persona Q2. FeMC just joined and I already have trouble deciding who to bench for her since I like my team so far (Joker, Ryuji, Akechi, Ann, and Morgana).

Rean

Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty tempted to jump right into 2 but with no PC version of 3 (and no localization or 4) announced, I figure there's no rush - especially after playing Sky the 3rd & Cold Steel 1 back-to-back.
honestly, you should finish cold steel 2 while your memory and emotions are stll there.
steel 2 is direct continuation of 1, it begins right where 1 ends. it makes little sense to stop playing mid way.
end of steel 2 however has a sensible closure and just a buildup for 3 and 4, so its a good break point until PC versions are ready.
and you are better off not playing crossbell games without proper patch that is in the works, currently available translation is quite bad. maybe it will get released before PC version of trails 3.

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't really count but I'm currently about 6 hours into Cosmic Star Heroine and it's a charming little ode to the JRPGs of old. It's a great palate cleanser after playing through Dark Souls III.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I guess DQ11 qualifies but it's been on the shelf for a few months now. I cant seem to do these games anymore with slow combat.

chechi

Dec 3, 2018
Taking a break from Persona 5 and started with DQ11 last weekend - my first DQ ever. About 5 hours in now, liking it pretty much so far. This game is just sooo relaxing and I like the art-design A LOT! Don't know what it is yet, but I wanna keep playing it.