• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Femto0

Banned
Apr 28, 2018
Just completed trails in the Sky fc and I must admit the ending redeems the hours upon hours of boredom. It's really sad that the game gets good only in its final part,i'm tempted to jump immediately on the second chapter it suffer the some problems of the first one?

Hint

Apr 9, 2018
Since the last time I posted here I beat both Dragon's Dogma and Final Fantasy IX on the Switch. I was a little bit of a loss on what to start next as I wasn't ready to jump into Torna right away but the Collection of Mana came out so I started that.

I'm playing it in order so I started with Final Fantasy Adventure. This was one of the first games I had for my first system, the original GB. I haven't played it since then so its easily been 22 years or something. I beat it just yesterday and thought it still held up and honestly was pretty enjoyable to play. Its simple and quick.

I started Secret of Mana almost immediately afterwords but I'm just in the very beginning still. I played through this game completely for the first time when the SNES Classic came out, so It hasn't been too long. I hope to get through it quick and move on to Trails of Mana which I haven't played before.

At this point I'm ready to start Torna at anytime. I'll probably switch between that and Collection of Mana until Fire Emblem comes out.

rgibbo36

Oct 27, 2017
I'm about 20 hours into Xenoblade Chronicles X. I just started Chapter 6. I wasn't feeling it a whole lot during the beginning of the game, but as I play more, I am starting to like it more.

Oct 30, 2017
Just finished Cosmic Star Heroine on Switch. Quite a dramatic improvement over Zeboyd's previous games--this one really clicked with me. Super Spy mode was a bit nasty in the beginning, but struck a real high note in the mid-game. Once I had the +200 Style weapon for Alyssa, I completely changed my strategy and built my entire party around buffing her so that she could one shot every encounter on turn 2 with either her burst ability or Chahn unite on bosses. She gets a "stronger" weapon in the last dungeon, but that +200 Style bonus is too ridiculous to trade out. I nuked the final boss for like 140k and put them on ice. Ya'll did good work, werezompire.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
I can't really decide what to try to finish next: FFV-VII because FFVIIR comes out next March, DQIX because I have fewer DQ games in my backlog, or try more Pokemon X (and maybe Sun) before Sword & Shield come out.

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash
Finished my Nightmare run of Trails in the Sky FC and also cleaned the remaining achievements. It was SO much fun. Tomorrow I'll start my second playthrough of SC, I getting so hyped for CSIII :P

I wonder if we'll have at least an update before CSIII comes out from the geofront team. I'd like to play Zero with the best translation possible but I doubt it. Guess I'll have to settle with the current available translations.

Sgs2008

Mar 25, 2019
Going through as many of.the kingdom hearts games as I can this year. Finished up 1,re:com, 2 And almost finished with 358/2 days on ds

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
Persona Q2 - 16 hours in, finished second dungeon. Have like 8 special screenings to do now. Rip.

Also just started Yokai Watch 3.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Just finished my first Dragon Quest, the fan translation of the Super Famicom version of III (I have the original Japanese cart + a Retron5, so it was pretty fun)

D9nX-yfW4AAFU0A.png:large

That line there is basically the only really awkward part of the translation (besides it maintaining the old Loto over Erdrick, which was kinda funny since my guy was called Roto)

Debating now whether to play IV, VIII, or just wait till DQXI S. Basically trying to knock down all the Smash represented ones first, but I can run into burn-out with JRPG series (I can handle one Trails game a year pretty much) so I'm not sure if I should.

Cables

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Just started Fire Emblem Fates - planning to go through all three versions. Have been enjoying Conquest so far!

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
Hmm maybe I am biting off too much. Will consider going straight to Revelations after Conquest. Thanks!

I played Birthright first and I'm on chapter 15 on Conquest but stalled. Granted I jumped in right after but yeah it may be hard to marathon all three. You can always come back to birthright later.

Elven_Star

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished Trails in the Sky SC. The music is so ridiculously underrated in this series. This thirteen-year-old game might become my GotY 2019, actually.
Wanna start Trails in the Sky 3rd right away, but I'm scared of a possible burnout. Might try finishing a short game, like Cadence of Hyrule, first.

Jisgsaw

Oct 27, 2017
Just completed trails in the Sky fc and I must admit the ending redeems the hours upon hours of boredom. It's really sad that the game gets good only in its final part,i'm tempted to jump immediately on the second chapter it suffer the some problems of the first one?
No, SC follows directly FC and continues on that cliffhanger. The pace is much closer to FC's last third.
They're basically one game that had to be split in two, and FC is pretty much just there to introduce the setting.

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
Just played Yokai Watch. At first I was like "hey this is really charming and kind of better than Pokémon"

But in true Level 5 fashion, the game stagnated really early on, the story was ass, and the sidequests were egregiously lazy.

Majadamus

Jun 3, 2019
Connecticut
I'm juggling Pokemon Black 2, FFXII: Zodiac Age, and Nier at the moment. I'm on Victory Road in Black 2. I'm 50 hours into Zodiac Age and I'm really enjoying it. I'm loving the license system. It gives so much freedom and choice on how you want to level up your characters. And Nier is an okay game. I like the dialogue between Grimorie Weiss and the main character.

Deleted member 43657

User requested account closure
Banned
May 19, 2018
Playing Secret of Mana and I'm determined to finish it.

It is grindy as all heck! You have to walk around casting spells just to get your magic level up. It's bewildering how bad that design choice is in an otherwise brilliant and highly addictive game.

I just recently finished FFXII—great game, not so good story. Like, pretty bad story.

I'm excited to play through the other Mana games in the collection after Secret of Mana.

GeekyDad

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
USA
Having a goofy good time with Persona Q2. Just finished the second movie. That was some silly, weird shit. Fun as hell, though!

exaByte

Banned
Jun 19, 2019
Started my second playthrough of Octopath Traveler...Man I wish the Legend of Heroes Gagharv Edition was on Switch...or Trails in the Sky trilogy.

exaByte

Banned
Jun 19, 2019
The order is as follows:

1. Prophecy of the Moonlight Witch
2. A Tear of Vermillion
3. Song of the Ocean

PS: My Switch is up-to-date. I never installed 3rd party software except of Nintendo eShop games. Maybe in the future I will buy one just for Homebrew stuff.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
Anyone else here been playing more and more JRPGs on Switch rather than PS4, too? Also, some series tend to be more complete on PC or have better versions, like Trails in the Sky. PS4 is more and more becoming a machine for the exclusives to me. Things have really changed with more PC ports and Switch versions for quite a few Japanese titles, especially in AA territory.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone else here been playing more and more JRPGs on Switch rather than PS4, too? Also, some series tend to be more complete on PC or have better versions, like Trails in the Sky. PS4 is more and more becoming a machine for the exclusives to me. Things have really changed with more PC ports and Switch versions for quite a few Japanese titles, especially in AA territory.
Not really, but then I don't own a Switch and I'm pretty selective about my JRPGs now days so pretty much play Falcom games with a smattering of others. I mean looking at my last JRPGS played were YsVIII, Persona 5, Tokyo Xanadu Ex, Ys Origin and FFXII: The Zodiac Age and my next will be Cold Steel 3 probably (not counting Yakuza or Persona Dancing anyway).

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
Just finished Trails in the Sky SC. The music is so ridiculously underrated in this series. This thirteen-year-old game might become my GotY 2019, actually.
Wanna start Trails in the Sky 3rd right away, but I'm scared of a possible burnout. Might try finishing a short game, like Cadence of Hyrule, first.

I'm playing through right now myself. I lost a save file where I was up to Chapter 3, so I'm slowly going through it again to catch up, I'm still in Chapter 1. I agree the music is underrated. It's either calming or super exciting. I like it!

Right now I'm dabbling between so much:

1. Trails in the Sky SC on PC
2. Final Fantasy XII on Switch
3. Final Fantasy VII on Switch (replay)
4. Phantasy Star IV on Switch
5. Xenoblade Chronicles on PC/Dolphin (replay)

I'm having a good time playing like 1-2 hours of each and then going through something else.

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
Whys NnK2 have a eula and privacy policy o.O? This is an offline single-player only game right? Aside from that the game proper sure gets off to an explosive start huh? Dun like that its doing the "chapter" thing? The first NnK didn't do it so bleh! An its become a full on action rpg now. Equipping 3 weapons at once should be cool but its limited to the same weapon type? Weird. At least there being a real overworld is retained that from the previous one! Eat it DQ11!

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age (Switch)

I originally finished this on the PS2 when it first came out and while I grew to appreciate it as time went on, I wasn't a huge fan of it when I originally played it. This time around I am absolutely in love with this game. Most of the characters are still nothing to write home about but the lore and plot are both high tier FF. I also understand the Gambit system much better this time around. Pair that with 4x speed and that equals me not being able to put this game down.

I'm in the second to final dungeon so I should be done with the game in the next few days but I fully intend to jump right back in as soon as those credits finish rolling.

P.S. The Great Crystal dungeon is terrible and whoever designed it should feel bad.

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash
Finished chapter 1 of Trails in the Sky SC. This is only my second time playing it so it is nice to relearn some plot details. What I like the most though is the massive improvement in the accessories department.

Trials of Mana, I'm halfway through killing the Benevodons and 2 levels away from class changing to the third tier. It is annoying that you need to farm items to do so, I hope they change that in the remake.

Nov 11, 2017
I'm teetering on the edge of picking up Radiant Historia. It looks cool, but I looked up reviews for Perfect Chronology today and the first one is from Polygon and the reviewer is of the opinion that you should play it on easy mode because it's more fun as a visual novel than an actual RPG, which is giving me pause? Like if it's so grindy that you don't even want to play it after a certain point, I'm not sure I want to start investing time into it. For those of you who have played it, how accurate does that sound to you? Would you recommend picking it up?

Deleted member 11626

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Persona 3 Portable. I'm near the first full moon event and I'm enjoying the game so far, though I'm hoping the story gets more intriguing. Visual novel with some dungeon crawling is cool, but I can't do 80 hours if it doesn't pick up

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age (Switch)

I originally finished this on the PS2 when it first came out and while I grew to appreciate it as time went on, I wasn't a huge fan of it when I originally played it. This time around I am absolutely in love with this game. Most of the characters are still nothing to write home about but the lore and plot are both high tier FF. I also understand the Gambit system much better this time around. Pair that with 4x speed and that equals me not being able to put this game down.

I'm in the second to final dungeon so I should be done with the game in the next few days but I fully intend to jump right back in as soon as those credits finish rolling.

P.S. The Great Crystal dungeon is terrible and whoever designed it should feel bad.

This is my exact same story. I played it upon release and I didn't think much of it. I remember I didn't finish it. I don't remember how far I played into it, but I bailed out. No idea what % I was in the game. But right now I'm replaying it on Switch and super enjoying it. The 4x speed mode and the gambits are super fun. I still think the License system is pretty... weird. It's kind of anticlimatic to find a sweet piece of equipment and then realize, "Oh, I don't have the license to ... wear this hat?". It's just... weird to have to get the license before you can equip something. But other than the oddness of it all, I like the system.

But how do you switch jobs? I missed that part of the tutorial.

Finished chapter 1 of Trails in the Sky SC. This is only my second time playing it so it is nice to relearn some plot details. What I like the most though is the massive improvement in the accessories department.

ZAjWn8K.jpg

Me too! I just finished the first chapter tonight. I played up to Chapter 2 and I lost my save file. So I'm glad that I finally breezed through the game back to this point. I am super loving the 6x speed mode. It's made replaying this game super great. Battles and world traversal is so breezy. I'm just enjoying the game so much more in every way than when I first played it a couple of years ago. I hope I stick with this for the long haul. I want to!

I'm teetering on the edge of picking up Radiant Historia. It looks cool, but I looked up reviews for Perfect Chronology today and the first one is from Polygon and the reviewer is of the opinion that you should play it on easy mode because it's more fun as a visual novel than an actual RPG, which is giving me pause? Like if it's so grindy that you don't even want to play it after a certain point, I'm not sure I want to start investing time into it. For those of you who have played it, how accurate does that sound to you? Would you recommend picking it up?

I really enjoyed Radiant Historia. There's not much I DIDN'T like about it. If I had any negatives the OST isn't very... big or diverse. You'll get some repeating tracks about midway through the game. There just isn't a diverse OST. I'm not sure how big the overall OST is, but yeah, just feels smaller with less tracks than other JRPGs.

Other than that, I think it's all great! I think the combat system is super fun. I hope to see it reiterated in another JRPG down the road (some Indie should really pick up its ideas). I did not find the game grindy at all. I played the orignal DS version so I don't know about the easy mode in the 3DS, but I didn't think the game needed it personally. I never played the 3DS version, but if you choose to play it on DS/emulator you can play it with a Fast Forward feature on your CPU and save state everywhere. I mean, that's just the optimal JRPG experience for ANY game, so I'd recommend that.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
Persona 3 Portable. I'm near the first full moon event and I'm enjoying the game so far, though I'm hoping the story gets more intriguing. Visual novel with some dungeon crawling is cool, but I can't do 80 hours if it doesn't pick up
Yeah, give it another few hours. If it's not grabbing you, then drop it. I mean, that's a pretty standard JRPG rule. I think P3 and P4 were intriguing from the get-go. But yeah, like you said, it's a super loooong game. Don't wait for it to "get good", life's too short.

Persona is all about its characters, music, and presentation. If none of that is pulling you in, just drop it.

Yugen

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Finishing up Ao no Kiseki in preparation for cold steel 3.
This is a series that everyone needs to play.

MrMegaMill

Nov 28, 2017
Man, the Trails series on the Switch would be amazing....

Regardless, I am FINALLY finishing Vesperia on the Switch. At the final boss now. Will move onto finish KHIII afterwards.

Should I do FF IX or XII after Kingdom Hearts?

GeekyDad

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
USA

Yeah, it grows really nicely, but I think it's presented much better on console. I've played both, the PS2 and PSP versions, and though the portable version is great to have the go, it's nowhere near the same in terms of presentation.

Deleted member 47076

Banned
Aug 25, 2018
Started Persona 5 a couple weeks ago for the first time - about 25 hours in. The first 12 or so hours were somewhat frustratingly slow at times but wow does it pick up.

The story and tone remind me more of Persona 3 than 4, which is good. Also love how slick the UI, scene transitions, etc are.

Reektan

Oct 30, 2017
Started Persona 5 a couple weeks ago for the first time - about 25 hours in. The first 12 or so hours were somewhat frustratingly slow at times but wow does it pick up.

The story and tone remind me more of Persona 3 than 4, which is good. Also love how slick the UI, scene transitions, etc are.

Morgana constantly telling you to go to bed wasn't the best.

Deleted member 11626

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it grows really nicely, but I think it's presented much better on console. I've played both, the PS2 and PSP versions, and though the portable version is great to have the go, it's nowhere near the same in terms of presentation.

After looking at some YouTube videos of the PS2 version, you're right. That must be my issue. I think I'll press forward though, because I'm already a fair amount of the way in, and I do enjoy the characters, music, and the story so far

dogbox

Jan 30, 2019
Spaceball Arena
I just picked DQXI back up again after who knows how long. I dropped off during the MacGuffin quest in the middle, right before collecting the last orb. If only I knew playing just a little longer kicks the story into overdrive. Excellent game.

Nov 11, 2017
I really enjoyed Radiant Historia. There's not much I DIDN'T like about it. If I had any negatives the OST isn't very... big or diverse. You'll get some repeating tracks about midway through the game. There just isn't a diverse OST. I'm not sure how big the overall OST is, but yeah, just feels smaller with less tracks than other JRPGs.

Other than that, I think it's all great! I think the combat system is super fun. I hope to see it reiterated in another JRPG down the road (some Indie should really pick up its ideas). I did not find the game grindy at all. I played the orignal DS version so I don't know about the easy mode in the 3DS, but I didn't think the game needed it personally. I never played the 3DS version, but if you choose to play it on DS/emulator you can play it with a Fast Forward feature on your CPU and save state everywhere. I mean, that's just the optimal JRPG experience for ANY game, so I'd recommend that.

Awesome, that sounds pretty good to me. Too bad about the OST since I love RPGs with great music, but I can easily forgive that if the game is fun. Good to hear that combat is fun as it sounds like you spend a lot of time doing it, I think the review I was referring to was mostly down on the 'time loop' thing and how it meant you were fighting the same battles over again, but if it's got good combat that's okay with me. I'm looking at the 3DS version so no fast forward for me lol. I think I'll buy it today, thanks for giving your take!