• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Started/restarted Final Fantasy XIII on PS3 yesterday. My last save file is dated 2013, so I figured I'd start fresh.

After playing for a couple of hours, I'm remembering some of the bigger complaints about this one. Nearly every location has been a corridor interspersed with occasional battles which are all far far too easy. It's early days, so I can forgive this, but what is really bothering me is the writing/cutscenes.

The story isn't terrible, but goddamn the only way to understand what is going on is to read the Datalogs, which summarise each scene. It's ridiculous, you can only understand fundamental plot points and character motivations by reading the text as the cutscenes so such a terrible job of communicating the story.

EDIT: Also, the dialogue itself is really cringey - Snow is constantly refering to himself as a hero "Don't worry baby, your hero is on his way!" Yikes, maybe he's supposed to be a tool, but it just feels like the dialogue suuuuuuuuuuuuucks.

My biggest complaint with that game is the the world always felt so god damn empty. Part of my love for JRPGs is all the towns and people!

lightning16

May 17, 2019
I'm getting a bit burned out by Bravely Second, which also happened with the first game. I feel like I like the idea of this battle system and job system, but interacting with it for prolonged periods just burns me out. I still like a lot about these games, but I'm close to the end now and looking forward to moving on. During chapter 3 in particular I wasn't actually sure I'd be able to finish the game, but 4 and 5 have been much better. Definitely prefer the more guided job system in Octopath and the changes it made to the battle system. I never did get burned out on that one.

Monstress

Sep 9, 2019
I've begun the final chapter of Tokyo Mirage Sessions, and I finished Atelier Ayesha yesterday.
For my next JRPG, I'll admit I don't know which one to choose between Ys VIII ansd Labyrinth of Refrain. I'd like to play a dungeon crawler once again but Ys VIII looks really good.

Shurp

Nov 29, 2017
Just started Trails of Cold Steel 2, continuing straight on from 1 is a bit weird, still can't get used to the battle music change. also I lost 40 levels from where I was in the last game........ (which is obviously intentional, but damn)

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
How does someone approach the Trails series? It feels like a Kingdom Hearts scenario. If that's the case, I am staying away.

Open Wound

Nov 7, 2017
How does someone approach the Trails series? It feels like a Kingdom Hearts scenario. If that's the case, I am staying away.
Depends of what you mean by Kingdom Hearts scenario, but it's fairly straightforward. There aren't any spin offs that aren't really spin offs here.

They're a series of games with an overarching story and continuity, that are divided by narrative arcs, with each arc taking place in a different country of the continent of Zemuria, with a different cast of characters, and a somewhat self contained plot. I say somewhat because it has an overarching story, which means that things builds from what came before, and not all mysteries are resolved by the end of an arc. However, as they follow a new main cast, the different arcs can be enjoyed without previous experience with the other games, although they obviously enhance the experience.

The games are as follow (with a newly announced game still in development):

The Liberl arc

Trails in the Sky
Trails in the Sky Second Chapter
Trails in the Sky the 3rd

The Crossbell arc (not available officialy in english)

Zero no Kiseki (Trails from Zero)
Ao no Kiseki (Trails to Azure)

* There's rough fan translations available for both, although the one for Ao/Azure is in a far better state. There's also a proper fan translation project for the first game (Zero) that has already finished and they're in the middle of testing and ironing out bugs (they will also add features that have become standard for the series in the west like Turbo mode). Should release this year, relatively soon.

The Erebonia arc

Trails of Cold Steel
Trails of Cold Steel II
Trails of Cold Steel III
Trails of Cold Steel IV (still not realeased in english)

As long as you start at the beginning of an arc, you will have a good time and will be able to follow things and get invested. If you're worried about missing things like deeper lore knowledge, references, knowing certain characters beforehand or getting spoiled, then obviously start from the very beginning and move up. The first 2 Cold Steel games and the Crossbell games take place simultaneously and there's overlap in terms of plot events, so they can be moved around in order without much trouble.

If you have more specific questions I can try to answer them.

Oct 28, 2017
I'm playing Dark Cloud 1

Already got 3 houses in my town. These damn bats and their poison attacks are infuriating. I'm not quick enough to block and there's never any antidotes in any chests.

Bah humbug. Still, this game is tight.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Bought Tokyo Mirage Sessions Encore a few weeks back when it was 20 bucks off at Walmart for the digital version and started that up a few days ago after beating KH3. Put about 200 hours into the WiiU version replaying it about 5 times and I wasn't expecting to get it right away but man do I love TMS#FE.

Naha-

Feb 6, 2019
I have been playing Xenoblade 2 for 2 months. I think i'm at Chapter...8?

XC2 is such a weird game. I can make a list of 10 "issues" about it but despite it, it's such a good game.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Depends of what you mean by Kingdom Hearts scenario, but it's fairly straightforward. There aren't any spin offs that aren't really spin offs here.

They're a series of games with an overarching story and continuity, that are divided by narrative arcs, with each arc taking place in a different country of the continent of Zemuria, with a different cast of characters, and a somewhat self contained plot. I say somewhat because it has an overarching story, which means that things builds from what came before, and not all mysteries are resolved by the end of an arc. However, as they follow a new main cast, the different arcs can be enjoyed without previous experience with the other games, although they obviously enhance the experience.

The Liberl arc

Trails in the Sky

* There's rough fan translations available for both, although the one for Ao/Azure is in a far better state. There's also a proper fan translation project for the first game (Zero) that has already finished and they're in the middle of testing and ironing out bugs (they will also add features that have become standard for the series in the west like Turbo mode). Should release this year, relatively soon.

The Erebonia arc

Trails of Cold Steel
Trails of Cold Steel II
Trails of Cold Steel III

As long as you start at the beginning of an arc, you will have a good time and will be able to follow things and get invested. If you're worried about missing things like deeper lore knowledge, references, knowing certain characters beforehand or getting spoiled, then obviously start from the very beginning and move up. The first 2 Cold Steel games and the Crossbell games take place simultaneously and there's overlap in terms of plot events, so they can be moved around in order without much trouble.

Thanks for the info.

The first 3 games (liberl arc) are on psp right?

Open Wound

Nov 7, 2017
Crap. I dont play on pc
I wouldn't worry too much. The 3rd is a bit of a wierd one as is not really the conclusion of the arc, it functions more as an epilogue and bridge to future games, with a different protagonist and different structure (it's a dungeon crawler). The arc's story ends in second chapter.

Considering it's the only Trails that isn't available on console in the west, if you're interested in giving the series a shot, I would recommend to not let that stop you from trying the series. Either way it would only be even a concern when you are deep into the series.

Tobli

Oct 30, 2017
I finished Torna : The golden country.

Total playtime: 29 hours
Community level 5

The conclusion was more satisfying than expected, and I liked the call forward to XC2.

I hope Monolith take some lessons from Torna. So that future projects don't become as bloated as XC2.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Dropped FF12 at the 12 hour mark and just read the plot on Wikipedia. Now I'm thinking of finally getting into FF9 and hope it's a better time.

Also finished Yakuza 3, and just started the 4th. I'm really liking the cut of this Akiyama guy.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
I just bought DQ7 3DS on a whim: don't know what I was thinking. I enjoyed XI and VIII, and I'm in a lul of gaming at the moment.

I have low expectations...

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
Bought Tokyo Mirage Sessions Encore a few weeks back when it was 20 bucks off at Walmart for the digital version and started that up a few days ago after beating KH3. Put about 200 hours into the WiiU version replaying it about 5 times and I wasn't expecting to get it right away but man do I love TMS#FE.
Woah. That's some intense love. I enjoyed the game, but not that much. It was just alright.

tiku

Oct 26, 2017

The Liberl arc

Trails in the Sky

The Erebonia arc

Trails of Cold Steel
Trails of Cold Steel II
Trails of Cold Steel III

Thank you very much for your detailed message :)

Just a couple of days ago I was asking a friend about what should I play next. I'm finishing TitS SC Evolution right now (coming straight form FC) and I just don't want to suffer burn out playing The 3rd... Furthermore, I don't like it being a dungeon-crawler and "only" an "excuse" to reunite characters and deepen into their stories.

I had to decide, and based on my pal's opinion, I chose to begin with Cold Steel after a finish SC. Basically, the same you wrote on our post. I will play CS I and CS II and then I will see if I play Ao/Zero on Vita. or if the remakes are available in the West (lol, they won't).

But again, thanks for your post because is very useful for people who want to begin with the saga :)

BTW, I'm really LOVING Second Chapter. I already am a little sad for saying goodbay to Estelle and company :_(

Oghuz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Played Dragon Quest XI for a while then dropped it cause I couldn't stand the combat. Now I'm playing Tales of Berseria. It's alright so far.

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm playing Dark Cloud 1

Already got 3 houses in my town. These damn bats and their poison attacks are infuriating. I'm not quick enough to block and there's never any antidotes in any chests.

Bah humbug. Still, this game is tight.

Same! My PS2 classics were getting dusty so I've been working my way through them. Might tackle Dark Cloud 2 after this.

Already at the 3rd town and it's pretty fun. Love a rpg with some town building. And yes the bats were annoying as shit.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I just started Dragon Quest XI on PC, it's my first proper Dragon Quest game! I've been playing a ton of Builders 2 and I felt like I should see what the series is like.

So far I'm enjoying it quite a bit, although a few hours in I'm chomping at the bit for more combat stuff to try. Story is pretty standard stuff, but I think it's presented well, and the English voice acting is pretty good.

Definitely planning on sticking with it! I have a nasty habit of dropping RPGs around the 70% mark. We will see!

touchfuzzy

Banned
Jul 27, 2019
Been playing Persona 5 since mid-January, 34.5 hours in and at Futaba's Palace. I really love the game, and not having as much gaming time as some other people, I think stretching it out over a lonnnng time helps with the pacing. If you were trying to blow through it in a couple weeks I could see it being infuriating. Music is amazing, love the battle system and social stuff. Hoping I'll be able to get at least close to the end before FFVII Remake comes out.

Xixus

Oct 27, 2017
I have been playing Legends of Legaia, a game I have tried to finish about 3 other times in my life. I hope I can get through it this time the combo system is really fun.

NioA

Dec 16, 2019
Been playing Atelier Meruru for a while now, I'm having a blast with it, really addicting. It adapts very well the map and adventuring from Totori with a more carefree assignment structure from Rorona. Alchemy is the same, but with a lot of qol improvements. Too bad there's such a reuse of character from previous games, bacisally there are, like, 5 of them?
Anyway, best Arland so far, possibly also my favourite Atelier with Firis.

In the meanwhile, I'm replaying Golden Sun Lost Age, I forgot how complicated dungeon could be in a 2D JRPG, Air's Rock kept me for 2 hours. The game is incredible and it's such a shame that Camelot doesn't try anymore with RPGs.

Oct 28, 2017
Same! My PS2 classics were getting dusty so I've been working my way through them. Might tackle Dark Cloud 2 after this.

Already at the 3rd town and it's pretty fun. Love a rpg with some town building. And yes the bats were annoying as shit.

They sure got a lot less annoying once I learned that the mayor would restock my supplies every time I talked to him. Also realizing that water healed me lmao

Quint75

Mar 6, 2019
Quick question: which is better, Tales Of Vesperia or Tales of Berseria? Would be my first Tales game either way.

dojo32161

Sep 4, 2019
Bought DQ XI, only in the first hour or so, but battles were so ungodly slow I had to make my own Turbo with Cheat Engine, that helps it a lot.

Barely Able

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Started DQ9 mainly to get the downloadable quests Since there was a thread about a server hosting them still. Didn't realize it would take 10-12 hours to get Sellma to show up, but loving it so far.

Frankish

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Phantasy Star 3. I've been playing through the whole series, great games. This one is considered the black sheep of the series. I think it is definitely the worst of the ones I've played (haven't played PSIV yet). The ridiculously frequent encounter rate (sometimes it's literally after two steps) combined with the utter lack of challenge or strategy makes it a slog to get through. It's a shame because the story and world are actually pretty cool. Some very interesting ideas. And I actually prefer these relatively simple dungeons to the confusing mazes of PSII. Oh well.

I'm almost done, looking forward to PSIV. I've heard great things. Playing these all on Switch btw.

GeekyDad

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
USA
Started DQ9 mainly to get the downloadable quests Since there was a thread about a server hosting them still. Didn't realize it would take 10-12 hours to get Sellma to show up, but loving it so far.

Yeah, played most of the DQ games, and it's still probably my favorite. Spent over a hundred hours with it with the post-game grottos and all. There's just so much to do in it, at least when it first came out, anyway. Doubt you can really hook up with others online anymore. But very charming and endearing. Love the little micro stories throughout.

just started smt iv. trying to beat the first dungeon.

It's one of those where the early game is kinda the hardest, at least depending on what difficulty you're playing on. Great game, though. I know a lot of folks have complaints about it, and there are some things that can be annoying. But overall, a great SMT.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
About halfway through route B (I assume) of Nier Automata. Thoroughly enjoying this game so far.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
Quick question: which is better, Tales Of Vesperia or Tales of Berseria? Would be my first Tales game either way.

Berseria has a better story and characters, Vesperia looks better, has better dungeons and I think a better soundtrack.

Neither are exactly the peak of combat as far as I'm concerned, Vesperia in particular takes a long time to open up

Tobli

Oct 30, 2017
I started playing Final fantasy XV a few days ago.

It feels like it's been a while since I played a jrpg that felt this grandiose.

I am currently in the beginning of chapter 3. Up until this point I have done every hunt, and side quest I have come across, but I'm not sure I am going to keep that up now that the games scope has expanded.

Now I'm just trying to figure out what parts of the combat I'm not properly incorporating. I'm not sure how cross chaining works. The prompt for that one is a bit unclear.
I also don't know how to do the swirly magic weapon thing ( the king's ability). So I need to look into that before I proceed.

My assessment of the game so far is quite positive.

Bastion

Oct 27, 2017
Over the last two weeks I have been playing the Mass Effect series. I have finished 1 and 2 and am currently about 5 hours into Mass Effect 3. I have owned all of these games since they came out originally and now wonder why I waited so long. They are sooooo good!!

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Now I remember why I quit Dark Cloud 2 as a kid... this game can be annoyingly difficult. But I will conquer it this time.

Seriously though fuck having to take pictures of enemies at specific moments while they're trying to murder you.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Playing some FFXII IZJS on an old save I haven't touched in maybe a year. It's like 50 hours in so usually I'd start a new game but would rather just continue this one.

I bought Zodiac Age the other day but my laptop can't really run it so I have to go back to IZJS emulated which my laptop runs fine lol.

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
Over the last two weeks I have been playing the Mass Effect series. I have finished 1 and 2 and am currently about 5 hours into Mass Effect 3. I have owned all of these games since they came out originally and now wonder why I waited so long. They are sooooo good!!

great games, but jrpgs they aint