• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

closer

Oct 25, 2017
Doing a 2nd ds3 run atm. Gonna go with extinguishing the flame this time around rather than usurping it, and trying out sellsword twinblades and lothric knight sword with a dex/faith build, been pretty fun so far. I think in my initial run (it's been a while) i went with dark sword and claymore? I just kind of remember abusing range, so it's kind of nice playing with a relatively short ranged weapon.

Reektan

Oct 30, 2017
So... Xenoblade X is interesting so far, but there's quite a few drawbacks:

-Characters ugly as sin
-Footstep audio design egregiously bad (also dat sprint swimming audio)
-Terrible tutorialization of combat
-Lots of generic sidequests that feel the need to spin simple premises into 3 minutes of babbling text boxes
-Very poorly executed silent protagonist
-Unnecessarily confusing UI
-Unforgivably small text - I genuinely have no idea how this got through QC
-Zillions of abilities that explain nothing about what they do. "Swordbreaker II" oh great, my character is good at breaking swords now. Hopefully there's a robust wiki out there I can use to look up abilities.

Despite all that I'm still enjoying myself, but something weird happened when I loaded up my save this morning. I was right where I was when I left off last time, next to the exact NPC where I last saved.

But there are some quests that I absolutely did that were basically reset in my missions list. I finished Kitty's "go do the probes" mission, but the current mission status reads as "find out about probes from kitty." I also saved Conner, but my mission status says "go find Conner"

What happened there?

Edit: actually it looks like it didnt erase my quest progress like I thought and it turns out talking to NPCs about rumors about other NPCs is *kinda* fun. I still hate that I have no idea what I can do differently strategically if I cant take on a certain enemy successfully. Get better equipment? Level up more?

Edit: Jesus Christ some of this music direction is so bad. 10 minutes ago I could barely understand Elma over these bombastic drums that were blaring and now I can barely hear her over a vocal track that's playing in the background. And in both of these scenes the track starts at the beginning of the scene so it's not just a timing issue. Just awful music direction.

I agree with a lot of your points but you almost need to try to ignore / live with them because:

Just the sheer scale of the world and when you get the flow of the combat becoming an unstoppable combo machine is what made it so great for me.

Last edited:

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
I cheated like crazy to get through Xenoblade X. It really, REALLY deserves a remaster for Switch because its a genuinely good game bogged down by completely pointless decisions on the dev staffs part. Its one of those games that annoyed the hell out of me but every time I think about it I got a lot of good memories from it. Would never play it again for a second play through though as it is.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Now that I'm done with Steamworld Quest should I play:

- Final Fantasy VII
- Super Mario RPG
- Cosmic Star Heroine (might as well be one)

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
Beat Ni no Kuni 2! That was fun! Mindless button mashing got tiring at times, an the enemy variety is super low (not Blue Reflection low at least!) but it was a good time an stayed pretty true in a buncha ways to the original while adding lotsa good side activities that all feed into better an better goodies! Couple of the end story bits really seemed ta come from outta nowhere leaving me alil ??? but was still a nice lil tale in the end despite plot an character growth overall being thin. Sometimes its best ta keep things simple then ta go in deep an fail. Since theres a post-game theres bound ta be lotsa stuffs to cleanup both old and new so I'm all for that! Wanna see the kingdom grow even more!

final autosave: 41:48:13
final manual save: 42:27:06
final real-time time: 42:29:46

Okay what? Maybe the timer isn't running when loading saves and also pauses while saving, I'll give it that for the manual vs realtime only being slightly off. But whys the autosave like a half hour behind??

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
I cheated like crazy to get through Xenoblade X. It really, REALLY deserves a remaster for Switch because its a genuinely good game bogged down by completely pointless decisions on the dev staffs part. Its one of those games that annoyed the hell out of me but every time I think about it I got a lot of good memories from it. Would never play it again for a second play through though as it is.
What? How did you cheat in Xenoblade X? Did you have a hacked WiiU and were there mods or something for this? Or are you talking about something you did in-game? Genuinely curious.

I totally agree with you. The game needs a remaster with some things fixed about it.

- Final Fantasy VII
- Super Mario RPG

Wow, that's quite a list! I assume all three of those games are new to you? Can't go wrong with Mario RPG or VII, both are classics. But if you've already played them then definitely check out CSH. It scratches a really nice Chrono Trigger feel.

tiesto

Oct 27, 2017
Long Island, NY
Well, over the past few weeks I played through Xenoblade 2: Torna the Golden Country. This was really cool and felt more like a fully fleshed out game than a DLC. Of course, it was a bit short and one of the areas was a retread of Gormott from the base Xenoblade 2. But the new Torna area was cool (though kinda small), the cinematics were on-point, and having a smaller party to manage made it a lot less overwhelming to delve into the systems like pouch-filling, affinity-charts, etc. And not having shitty gatcha mechanics to pull new blades, nor the constant swapping of your party to beat the skill checks, fixed 2 of the most frustrating things about the base game. The story itself seemed pretty slow, though it was appreciative getting to see Jin, Lora, and Addam's background. Shit really hit the fan at the end of the game. Wasn't really a fan of the jazzier battle system and map exploration music though.

After that I started on Trails of Cold Steel 2 (the PS4 version). Have a few days off from work so I'm focusing on that game. Not too far, in Chapter 1 and just reunited with Elliot and Fie. A bit worried when I went back to Celdic (the first town in the original game), I'm hoping this isn't just a retread of all the CS1 areas. Rean's snowy hometown was pretty cool at least. The visuals in the HD remake look pretty nice, though!

Finally, stretching the RPG term but some people count these games as action RPGs... I am playing Bloodstained. About 50% exploration and hit a bit of a roadblock at the
vampire lady in the blood bath
. Pretty impressed with how well this game turned out, considering I've found the games I've kickstarted tended to miss way more than hit.

HitMissYeah

Oct 30, 2017
Started DQXI, 12 hours in and I love it! Visuals are nice, story so far in interesting and I like the characters, especially Veronica. Its so good to have another DQ with high production value since PS2.

May 10, 2019
The Suikoden series is consuming my free time, since I haven't played through any of them in about 15 years. Also I've never been able to make an actual complete 108 stars run (with data transfer extras) until now. Currently in the middle of claiming a base in Suikoden 2 to lead me to the main focus of the game (by which I mean the cooking battles, of course).

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I beat Trials of Mana last night. Now I'm not playing any JRPG.

I'll get back to playing a JRPG soon. I want to finish Bloodstained and Okami HD (and play more Mario Maker 2) before I jump back in.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Just started Final Fantasy XIV, because I'm craving a huge, epic, high fantasy JRPG. I hope it scratches that itch until Tales of Arise and Granblue Fantasy Relink finally release. I want those two so bad. :(

Euman

Oct 25, 2017

- Final Fantasy VII
- Super Mario RPG
Those are all great.

SMRPG and Cosmic Star are pretty short, but in a good way. They have really fun gameplay, and no grinding involved.

FF7 is a classic and is great too. Obviously a must play if you haven't.

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
NnK2 post-game report: all citizens recruited, kingdom maxed, all skirmishes won, all* tainted monsters beaten, 175/175 quests finished, and post-game super dungeon beaten! Think thats a wrap! 15:35:45 in the post-game for a total of 58:05:31 time played. About 6 hours shorter than NnK1, prolly cause that game took forever to let you teleport and I spent a ton of time taming familiars! Good games, this series can totally go places!

I thought I'd beaten all the tainted monsters but then they went and spawned alot of new ones at crazy high levels an I ain't dealing with that!!

edit: forgot to say that the soundtrack was kinda just there. Nothing great and memorable, while I can still think up some of the originals tunes in my head months later.

Last edited:

eraFROMAN

One Winged Slayer
Mar 12, 2019
DQ8 on my 3DS; finished 1 and 3 on android a few weeks ago when Hero was announced for Smash and found myself really enjoying the simplicity of Dragon Quest.

truly101

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Still plucking through ToCS 1 and FFVII on switch. I guess by the time I'm done with ToCS 2, 3 will be out in September.

rgibbo36

Oct 27, 2017
I beat Xenoblade Chronicles X last night. I enjoyed it, but I did not like it as much as I liked Xenoblade Chronicles.

I'm done with JRPGs for the time being. Next one I play might be Pokemon: Let's Go, Pikachu! in a month or so, and then Pokemon Sword when that comes out.

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
I started Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions about a week ago; man is this a good video game. I'm currently working full time and had a crazy busy long weekend, but still got so sucked in I've managed to put about 25 hours into the game (according to my vita--it's probably way more given how bad I am haha). It took a little bit for it to click but since then I've just been having an absolute blast. I'm in Chapter 3 and just got Luso + did the map where Orran reveals he's Cid's adopted father. I have no clue how far I am in the plot but am loving every second of it.

I would kill for some sort of turbo mode though haha

GeekyDad

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
USA
I started Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions about a week ago; man is this a good video game. I'm currently working full time and had a crazy busy long weekend, but still got so sucked in I've managed to put about 25 hours into the game (according to my vita--it's probably way more given how bad I am haha). It took a little bit for it to click but since then I've just been having an absolute blast. I'm in Chapter 3 and just got Luso + did the map where Orran reveals he's Cid's adopted father. I have no clue how far I am in the plot but am loving every second of it.

I would kill for some sort of turbo mode though haha

'Tis literally my #1 game of all time. The story never falters.

Res

Oct 25, 2017
Tales of Berseria, I think I'm close towards the end. The main cast is great and everyone is likable. I do like the game a lot more than xilia, which I thought was okay.

I will say that the best part about Tales are the skits. The interactions between the characters add so much more. If only dq11 had something similar. Party chat really was underutilized

Last edited:

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Still plucking through ToCS 1 and FFVII on switch. I guess by the time I'm done with ToCS 2, 3 will be out in September.

Trails of Cold Steel is out on the switch? (I'm drawing a blank as to what ToCS stands for, sorry haha)

As for myself. am actually hankering to start Trails of Cold Steel after burning out on Trails of the Sky SC.

Yunsar

Oct 27, 2017
For some reason I find it difficult to get into Trails in the Sky even though I've only finished the first dungeon. Should I just cut my losses and proceed with Trails of Cold Steel?

ElOdyssey

Oct 30, 2017
I stopped playing World of Final Fantasy. Without going into spoiler territory I will just say the Post Script chapter is pure dog shit and turned me off from the game.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP

Reektan

Oct 30, 2017
Ah thanks.

The story really picks up a little after that, maybe give it one more session and see.

I find the Orbment stuff massively confusing - thats where my head is currently at in Trails in the Sky. I've played about 10 hours and its all good but I'm not sure if im suddenly going to hit a wall, combat wise as I'm likely not slotting orbments how you're supposed to.

ElOdyssey

Oct 30, 2017
I want to know! I'll never play it, just spoil tag for us!
Post Script forces you to do side quests in order to get new mirages (think of mirages as Pokemons for the game). All of the side quests are the same. Cutscene --> Fight mirage --> Cut Scene --> Captured mirage. Most of the fights are super easy but they give some of the mirages so much HP that it ends up dragging on longer than it should. Right now I have done all of the side quests in this specific location shown in the list but it is still pointing me to this location to finish the quests. I have no idea what to do or where to go and honestly I no longer care. The game started off strong because it didn't take itself serious and was pretty goofy. It took a turn 3/4th of the way in and now it's serious without humor and then they threw this curve ball simply to pad the game.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
What? How did you cheat in Xenoblade X? Did you have a hacked WiiU and were there mods or something for this? Or are you talking about something you did in-game? Genuinely curious.

I totally agree with you. The game needs a remaster with some things fixed about it.

Late reply, but yeah, hacked wii U. Well softmodded custom firmware anyway through a browser exploit (not sure if it still works, have not turned on my wii u in ages.) Pretty nonsense process of connecting your wii U to a laptop's wireless signal and initiating cheats that way lol. Hopefully they figured out more simple ways to do it than the three or 4 years ago I did it.

HavakPkmn

Feb 13, 2019
Manchester
I've decided to hold off an RPG's in general for the time being, as I plan on getting Ni No Kuni and playing it for the first time come September. After that, it'll probably Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles Remastered next.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
I find the Orbment stuff massively confusing - thats where my head is currently at in Trails in the Sky. I've played about 10 hours and its all good but I'm not sure if im suddenly going to hit a wall, combat wise as I'm likely not slotting orbments how you're supposed to.

If you're playing on normal difficulty there isn;t really a wrong way to do things, but i think the bracer notebook tells you what orbment combos you can use

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I would be playing Final Fantasy VII if I could decide on whether or not I should just play the original or buy the Steam version and mod it to fix the issues it has with battles being locked to 15fps instead of the menus running at 60fps.

I'm probably going to finally start FF15, though.

Deleted member 26293

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm juggling between The Last Remnant and The Last Story.

Remnant: first hours were pretty rough but now that i'm getting used to the battle system things are going way more smoothly. It's not that hard to get the commands you need when you know what to do, it's just that the game does a terrible job at explaining everything. I'm frankly shocked at how little the game tells you about classes, skill development, and the way a formation can influence the outcome of a battle. I can't imagine how wild it must have been playing the game when it launched.

I was expecting some boring looking environments based on what i recall about the reviews of the 360 version -which launched in pretty bad state- but i think the visuals holds up pretty well in high definition. Dungeons are generally quite drab, but towns don't look bad at all. HD towns! In a 2008 released Square enix game! And lot of them even! Character models and animations during "proper" cutscenes are very good as well.

Soundtrack is good too, don't care that much about the plot at the moment.

Story: a way more relaxed experience than TLR, but also a bit duller in comparison if i have to be honest. I'm still early in the game but the combat feels very simple, you just ran towards enemies, slash 'em, take cover, repeat while your allies do their thing -most likely casting a spell that wipes everything or dying. What's worse is that nothing during combat -even basic actions like taking cover or aiming- feels very janky and not as good as it should. It looks very good for a Wii game, but performances drop hard in a lot of busier situations.

The impression i constantly have while playing the game is that it feels one step away from falling apart, both from a gameplay and technical standpoint. It really seems to me that the Wii couldn't match the developer's ambition for this title.

I'm liking the soundtrack and cast well enough though, and i don't mind a more linear and story focused experience at the moment so i'm going to stick with it.

Andi

Oct 29, 2017
Final Fantasy 12 on switch

I did not finish the game back in the PS2 era because i found it to be a slog
Now I can appreciate it a lot more. The speedup battles help……….a lot.
I actually really like it and I would love to see more of the world of Ivalice but I am not a fan of MMO subscriptions so FF14 will stay out of my reach.
I find myself enjoying grinding out levels now and I assume am way over-leveled for where I am now. Level 25-27 on my way to the ozmone plains.
A definite bonus is that I can play it in handheld mode, playing in bed before going to sleep helps to unwind me after a long day.

Apr 25, 2018
Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga Remake on the 3DS.

Having to switch between different field abilities when exploring is a bit tedious but the battle are so much fun. Making the battles so interactive really elevates the Mario RPGs for me, perfectly executing a standard jump attack will never not be satisfying.

I tried the Bowsers Minions mode but it seems a bit boring and grindy so I stopped it after a while.

Annabel

Mar 22, 2019
So, Final Fantasy Adventure.

I don't know what I expected, but everyone getting killed except the Hero wasn't it.

It doesn't happen suddenly either, right from the start the game is shockingly dark and things don't exactly get better by the end of it all.

Onwards to Secret of Mana...

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
Late reply, but yeah, hacked wii U. Well softmodded custom firmware anyway through a browser exploit (not sure if it still works, have not turned on my wii u in ages.) Pretty nonsense process of connecting your wii U to a laptop's wireless signal and initiating cheats that way lol. Hopefully they figured out more simple ways to do it than the three or 4 years ago I did it.
That's cool! What kind of stuff can you do?

Deleted member 46958

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Finished trails in the Sky 3 and just to start zero any tips are welcome :))

There's an accessory that allows for quick build up of CP. I found two of them throughout Zero and equipped them to Lloyd and Randy. It was immensely useful to make crafts and S-crafts much more easily accessible and frequent, giving the upper hand in battle.

GeekyDad

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
USA
Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga Remake on the 3DS.
...the battle are so much fun. Making the battles so interactive really elevates the Mario RPGs for me, perfectly executing a standard jump attack will never not be satisfying. ...

Hear, hear! Though I don't find every one of the M&L RPGs as fun in terms of story, they got that battle formula thing down. Very fun games.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
That's cool! What kind of stuff can you do?

The thing I used was a program on PC to clarify. Like a list of cheats you check to turn on, there are other ways to do it but I'm not smart enough for the hex edit type stuff.

Basically what I used was infinite skill points to get rank 10 on all skills and abilities. Max money so no grinding. Item edits to give myself some of the best weapons (I did this closer to the end) and a few other random things

Basically broke the game but not enough to one shot stuff. Still took 56 hours to beat lol.

You can mess with almost every aspect of the game with cheats which is cool.