• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
Yeah, I think all of your observations are all on point. The game is very different from Xenoblade 1 and 2, especially in that story-telling/character department. I almost never enjoy silent protag, and it isn't very good here. The text size is INSANE. What were they thinking? Nearly unplayable off the WiiU pad, you have to hold it up to your nose.

The first 1 hour of the story/plot and the final 1 hour of the story/plot are the absolute best. The game drip feeds you "story" for all the hours between, it's really disappointing. They save their best stuff for the final 30 minutes of the game's story and leave you wanting so much more. So don't get too heavily involved in the story... it's not going to pick up and blow you away mid-way through or anything.

All that said, the game is still a 10/10 for me. The exploration and combat are so so awesome. If you manage to stick with it long enough to get a flying mech (about halfway through the game) it's INCREDIBLE to be able to fly around this open world. There's even more exploration to do once you can fly. You'd assume that you'd just "break" the game and do whatever because you can fly, but nope. There's vertical areas to explore with high level monsters protecting them that you have to fight mid-air in your mech! It really feels like the "upside down castle" in SoTN, where once you think you've explored it alll.... NOPE, you're only halfway through!

If they ever do a remaster/remake they should definitely speed up the process and get you the flying mech sooner. I'm afraid too many people leave the game before getting it and it's really the most special/unique thing about the whole game... so magical! But it does feel so rewarding because you have to do a lot before you get it, you definitely feel like you've EARNED the moment.

Don't stress too much about understanding all the crazy systems, or which skills to use in combat. I'm pretty sure the game is tuned well enough so that you can make it through the entire game just ignore that, and just picking whatever skills fill up the fastest. I feel like "knowing what you're doing" is really only important if you want to tackle special monsters above your level and end-game monster stuff. But just natural progression through the game doesn't require you to have super knowledge of all the many poorly explained systems the game throws at you. Like you mentioned: there is a great support online wikis and YouTube videos that do a great job of explaining all the stuff the game doesn't for you. But don' tfeel like you need to know and master all that stuff in order to enjoy the game. Just play and do whatever, you'll be fine and take down the monsters you need to progress.
Thanks for validating some of my frustrations.

Generally I agree that the game's strengths are still impressive. I've played plenty of open world games with worlds that aren't nearly as interesting to explore as Mira.

I think that's part of what makes the letdowns frustrating. There's a massive, beautiful world to explore but it's filled with almost nothing but blue sparkles. The game is also really bad at providing meaningful rewards for exploration. I discover a cave tucked away behind a riverbed and I get a generic blue sparkle and a "location discovered" if I'm lucky.

I still haven't gotten over how awful the combat is. The fact that I can get by simply using abilities whenever they're off cooldown and just sitting around the rest of the time is just indicative to me how terrible the design is. It's such a bizarre design decision and I can only imagine how amazing this game would be if I didn't have to roll my eyes at drawn out battles that involve zero meaningful decision making. It's just a hassle. Thank god I unlocked skells because while the battles might not be any more interesting, at least they're faster now.

I still generally feel a bit overwhelmed by the sheer amount of quest content and having no way of knowing which quests are going to be inconsequential drivel and which ones will be interesting or unlock an ability. The worst quests are the ones that want me to find an item that exists somewhere on a continent. Like I'm literally supposed to wander around the continent aimlessly until I find at least one of the things. Unforgivably bad game design :/

Side note, the data tester girl (Alex) has an astoundingly good voice actor. She's the only character I've heard speak that actually makes me feel like there's a personality underneath the dialog. Everyone else sounds like standard video game VA "this is my first read through of a script I've never laid eyes on before.

One thing that I'm finding really baffling is that the game keeps sending me out on level 20 quests that have me go to or through areas with aggressive level 40+ enemies. Why? The aggro mechanics are clunky and unintuitive and it's like the game just wants me to suffer for no reason.

I'm still enjoying it despite my complaints but it's hard not to be annoyed at how badly they dropped the ball with some of this stuff.

Yunsar

Oct 27, 2017
The story really picks up a little after that, maybe give it one more session and see.

I just missed a side quest in Trails in the Sky because it had such a narrow window of availability, so that's pretty much a whole hour of gameplay wasted. Combined with the painfully slow battle system, this game is really trying my patience.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
I just missed a side quest in Trails in the Sky because it had such a narrow window of availability, so that's pretty much a whole hour of gameplay wasted. Combined with the painfully slow battle system, this game is really trying my patience.
You can go into the Config settings and speed up all gameplay up to 6x.

At least you can in SC, I don't know about FC. This is on PC version of course.

Completely Anonymous

alt account
Banned
Jun 7, 2019
Trying to wrap up FFX before FE comes out - however it will be hard to do since I'm not on the road for work the next two weeks. I honestly cannot remember if I ever finished this game before. There are pieces I remember, but I don't seem to remember where I'm at now

rumyhy

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
I've put way too many of these things on my plate. Right now I'm in the middle of playing Dragon Quest 8, but I also want to play 5 again before the film comes out. I have yet to play Octopath Traveler even though I've owned it for a long time, Bravely Default I haven't touched yet and I just purchased Radiant Historia which I'm really excited to try out. fucking hell why these games gotta be so long

Desma

Oct 27, 2017
Finished trails in the Sky 3 and just to start zero any tips are welcome :))
You can get an "All Out Attack" kinda deal if you get the initiative.
Doesn't happen all the time, so for those cases, I'd recommend just running away and trying again.

The All Out Attack dispatches most normal enemies instantly

Glass Arrows

Jan 10, 2019
Even most fans of Trails admit that TitS is a difficult game to get into for a lot of people. The gameplay isn't considered to be particularly spectacular and nothing all that exciting apparently happens for most of it, story-wise. I heard a lot of people struggle with it at the beginning and eventually after pushing through it, it clicks for them, but it's admittedly a high barrier of entry. I watched an LP of it for a few hours to try and see whether I'd enjoy it, and it just didn't seem to be for me. To be fair though, I don't really find Cold Steel to be very appealing either so I may not be the best person to ask about whether you should continue.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Trails in the Sky: The Third. Back to playing it almost a year to the day I started. Going to finish it this time. Up to chapter 2. Really liking it so far.

Hope

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I started ys viii, while I absolutely dig the gameplay and must that pacing is kinda bad, maybe u should play it in short bursts but that's not how i normally play my jrpgs.

Elven_Star

Oct 27, 2017
I started ys viii, while I absolutely dig the gameplay and must that pacing is kinda bad, maybe u should play it in short bursts but that's not how i normally play my jrpgs.
I never understood what's so special about the gameplay. That game reeks of mediocrity in pretty much every single aspect. It's probably the sencond most overrated game (Ni no Kuni 2 will be the first forever) I have had the misfortune of playing.

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
Jumped back into Dragon Quest XI this weekend. About 30 hours in, just got to Lonalulu.

Man, I really like this game but the story really...kind of sucks. It's a beautiful game and a ton of fun to actually play but it's hard motivating myself for such a bland story.

yungronny

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Playing DQIV on my phone(just started) and going through FFX on my Switch. Trying to decide whether to go straight to X-2 or go for VII because I'm so hype for the remake.

Glass Arrows

Jan 10, 2019
Trails is great but not for everyone.

It's the best example of a Visual Novel JRPG. It's ALOT of reading, you gotta get into it at a slow burn. The music and combat IS good, but the writing is what makes this special.
The appeal of the writing itself may not be apparent for a while either unless you like the breezy, almost slice-of-life feel earlier on which was what I experienced with Trails in the Sky FC.

Reektan

Oct 30, 2017
I just picked up the 4th party member in Trails in the Sky and I already like it a lot more as the back and forward between him and Estelle is great.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017

Looking at a guide after about 15 hours of playing Sky was like a horror story. The amount of missed quests and content was staggering.

The game really isn't designed to 100%, as it expects and demands you to basically backpedal through entire prior zones constantly to keep up with NPC's and discover minor quest strands Not really at the benefit of progression and pacing.

It's understandably good for those that endear to the world and the thousands of lines of dialogue that expands the underlying settings and gives a bit of added life to the NPC's that feel more connected than line-repeating automatons. I found it just tiring personally and started to care less despite seeing some interesting side-story strands reach their conclusion every few hours of play. It was just too much back and forth that made little logical sense and did harm the pacing for me.

Recommend ignoring seeing everything and just playing from the hip. Enjoy what you come across naturally and don't let the quest journal dictate your playthrough in this series. It will only sting.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
About 17 hours into FFVI now.

Guess Dragon Quest XI just completely copied FFVI with what happens to the world in the second act, huh?

The world gets messed up and your party gets broken apart so you have to go through the old areas again and find them.

Last edited:

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
About 17 hours into FFVI now.

Guess Dragon Quest XI just completely copied FFVI with what happens to the world in the second act, huh?

The world gets messed up and your party gets broken apart so you have to go through the old areas again and find them.

Uh I would've appreciated not having that spoiled for me about DQXI...

Last edited:

Completely Anonymous

alt account
Banned
Jun 7, 2019
Just trying to finish FFX this week, but it has become a slog. No real incentive to do so - I should have just picked 3-4 people and used them exclusively ...

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finished FFVII and started up Super Mario RPG again. My last playthrough was cut short and not all that fun, so this time I've avoided being too high level.

tanky

Banned
Apr 2, 2019
I don't know if it really counts as a JRPG, but I recently finished up Judgment which was such a good time. I'm now about to fire up DQ11, my first entry into the franchise.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
Jumped back into Octopath, I haven't touched it since last summer.

I'm REALLY enjoying this game again! I think I just got burnt out on it last summer after 55 hours. But I'm back IN and having a great time.

I have two more Chapter 4s and 3 more of Special Job classes to get. I don't know if I'll ever finish that final dunegon, I hear it and the final boss suuuuucks.

Oct 27, 2017
Ireland
Etrian Odyssey Nexus, and taking a break from a replay of Pokemon Black 2.

Pokemon Black 2 is one of my two favourite pokemon games (the other being SoulSilver). I can see myself replaying it again in the future.

anderedna

Oct 25, 2017
All on PS4 this month after like 3 months not playing anything there.

Finished ToV, plat Cosmic Star Heroines and Valtherian Academy, and currently playing Children of Zodiarcs. The last three games aren't JRPG, but feels like it anyway lol.

One queation tho, I know Octopath is out on Steam and Switch, but will it come out to another console, i.e. PS4?

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What's the way to go with Ragnorok in Final Fantasy 6? Is the sword or esper better?

Gotta say I haven't been enjoying the game much at all since hitting act two, it has been a complete slog. It's like they ran out of story and budget. At this point it feels like I'm just playing it to finish it.

Glass Arrows

Jan 10, 2019
What's the way to go with Ragnorok in Final Fantasy 6? Is the sword or esper better?

Gotta say I haven't been enjoying the game much at all since hitting act two, it has been a complete slog. It's like they ran out of story and budget. At this point it feels like I'm just playing it to finish it.
The esper is more worth it IMO. Ultima is broken and you don't really need the weapon with how hard magic hits.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
All on PS4 this month after like 3 months not playing anything there.

Finished ToV, plat Cosmic Star Heroines and Valtherian Academy, and currently playing Children of Zodiarcs. The last three games aren't JRPG, but feels like it anyway lol.

One queation tho, I know Octopath is out on Steam and Switch, but will it come out to another console, i.e. PS4?
If Square loves money they'd put it everywhere, hell even iOS. But who knows? I don't think anything else has been confirmed.

I really really like Octopath. The game has so much thinking and strategy in it's Battle preparation and battle execution. I think along with Bravely it's the most strategic of all the JRPGs. You really have to THINK you're way through the bosses, grinding alone won't do it. I've played bosses where I've lost like 10 times, each time I tinker with my setup and rethink my Battle commands. If you play without a strategy guide, it's so rewarding when you pull off a win.

I really believe its one of the best turn based combat systems of all time. It's debatable for sure, but it deserves a place in the discussion.

I also really think highly of Eterian Odyssey and Bravely.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Just grabbed Arc Rise of Fantasia because a retro game store is going out of business and it was the only semi-rare game I was interested in when I checked it out. Any suggestions? I've already muted the laughably bad VA's.

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
after tales of vesperia, I'm planning on playing Lagrange Point on an emulator for nes, and Bravely Default for 3ds, have not played that yet.

riverfr0zen

Oct 27, 2017
Manhattan, New York

I'm REALLY enjoying this game again! I think I just got burnt out on it last summer after 55 hours. But I'm back IN and having a great time.

I have two more Chapter 4s and 3 more of Special Job classes to get. I don't know if I'll ever finish that final dunegon, I hear it and the final boss suuuuucks.

Been thinking of doing this. Did you continue your previous save or start afresh?

Oct 25, 2017

I wouldn't even consider it a final dungeon. It is like a Mega Man boss rush + Dr. Wily fight in one, but all of the plot is before the Dr. Wily fight at that.

It doesn't suck, it is just tuned hard enough for every single gameplay element to actually matter. People go into it way underpowered because people portray it as a "final dungeon" rather than an ultimate post-game boss that is also plot relevant.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Just grabbed Arc Rise of Fantasia because a retro game store is going out of business and it was the only semi-rare game I was interested in when I checked it out. Any suggestions? I've already muted the laughably bad VA's.

It's a complete garbage plotwise but has one of the best battle systems in the genre.

It's also hard af. Probably the hardest jrpg i finished. SMT stuff is a cakewalk in comparison. It's probably the only modern jrpg where the grind is 100% mandatory, and sometimes you have to get through entire dungeons to reach really hard bosses without a save point before them haha

I played this a long time ago and maybe isn't as hard as i remember, but good luck.

Would recommend to be always at the highest level possible, before enemies starts to give 1 exp. It happens relatively fast if i'm not wrong.

Polaris

Oct 29, 2017
Twin Cities, Minnesota
I have started playing Trails in the Sky. I heard good things and was not disappointed. A game like this really goes to show how a turn-based RPG can be modernized and result in a very enjoyable experience. I am only on Chapter 1 but so far it is fantastic!

anderedna

Oct 25, 2017
If Square loves money they'd put it everywhere, hell even iOS. But who knows? I don't think anything else has been confirmed.

I really really like Octopath. The game has so much thinking and strategy in it's Battle preparation and battle execution. I think along with Bravely it's the most strategic of all the JRPGs. You really have to THINK you're way through the bosses, grinding alone won't do it. I've played bosses where I've lost like 10 times, each time I tinker with my setup and rethink my Battle commands. If you play without a strategy guide, it's so rewarding when you pull off a win.

I really believe its one of the best turn based combat systems of all time. It's debatable for sure, but it deserves a place in the discussion.

I also really think highly of Eterian Odyssey and Bravely.
Thanks. Seems like there are chances.

Yeah, I read the review and saw some gameplay of Octopath. Definitely going to enjoy it. However I don't have Switch and playing on PC is like the last resort. Going to wait for a bit more and see if SE will port it somewhere else later.

If I have Nintendo consoles, definitely I'll be playing EO and Bravely but unfortunately I don't. Nintendo didn't have official presence here. Importing one isn't a problem, however post support would be troublesome.

Sep 14, 2018
I'm nearly done Trails of Zero. I'm on the final chapter and almost in the final area of the game. Most likely, the next time I play the game I will finish it. It's pretty good. I don't want to write a whole review on the game, but obviously I like the series enough to have made it this far. I've heard great things about Trails of Azure, so I'm really looking forward to playing that game, but I'm not sure if I'll play it right away or play something shorter first.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
It's a complete garbage plotwise but has one of the best battle systems in the genre.

It's also hard af. Probably the hardest jrpg i finished. SMT stuff is a cakewalk in comparison. It's probably the only modern jrpg where the grind is 100% mandatory, and sometimes you have to get through entire dungeons to reach really hard bosses without a save point before them haha

I played this a long time ago and maybe isn't as hard as i remember, but good luck.

Would recommend to be always at the highest level possible, before enemies starts to give 1 exp. It happens relatively fast if i'm not wrong.

It does seem pretty hamstrung so far.

I fall off an airship fighting a dragon
A completely clueless girl who for no reason is in the middle of nowhere shows up
Same girl starts following me for literally no reason
Now we're in a town

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
Well.... I ended up playing a lot of XCX and I just beat the main story. I can see why people like it. The fact that you end up getting the ability to fly around the world freely really puts modern Final Fantasy to shame and demonstrates that technological arent the problem so much as misguided priorities on SE's part.

That being said, most of this game was a total mess. They clearly developed way more content than they could actually polish, which is one of my biggest pet peeves with games. I'd take half of the quests in this game for a modicum of care given to the presentation any day of the week. The way that the cutscene and loading transitions flow are the worst I've seen in the last couple gaming generations and it really detracts from the experience.

I think that one of this game's major issues is that the way it is designed often just *feels* bad. Doing a level 20 quest where you're in danger of getting aggro'd by level 40 enemies with unclear aggro mechanics just *feels* bad. Finding out that you have an affinity mission that you can't do without grinding affinity with some character you haven't used much *feels* bad. Having no way of knowing where to look for an item you need to collect for a quest you're trying to complete *feels* bad. Having to pay a fee for getting one shotted in a skell when there's no other punishment for getting KO'd in the game *feels* bad. Playing through the entire game normally without ever ending up with enough ingredients to craft anything useful *feels* bad. Having to kick a character out of your party just to have a heart to heart conversation with them and then track down their hangout location (which can involve randomly clicking on map hexes until you find the one that says "X often hangs out here") *feels* bad. Not having any way of knowing what augment/equipment abilities do *feels* bad.

It almost feels like this game was pushed out way ahead of schedule without any chance to play test it.

Exploration is fun and all, but the game just doesnt do a good job of making the gameplay itself *about* exploration. You still need to get permission from NPCs/quest board in order to experience the game's content, and a huge chunk of completing quests comes down to running back and forth between NPCs.

Once I got skells and flight, the game started to feel like less of a slog, and I started to enjoy combat for the first time, which I realized was mainly because I could one shot multiple enemies at a time with the right setup, which made farming actually manageable. I did a dungeon later on in the game where I couldnt use my Skell and it was back to slowwww battles and I nearly lost interest altogether.

The story, despite having an interesting premise and some interesting developments along the way, was pretty bad. The villains were offensively tropey and the characters are very poorly developed. Basically nothing happens for 90% of the game and the only interesting question posed basically dumps the answer on you in half an hour of exposition at the very end. Then in the epilogue it completely undermines everything it just laid out and leaves you with "there's something magical about this planet" so basically a wizard did it. I don't really have patience for this level of lazy writing anymore.

I don't regret playing this game but MAN is it a disappointment given how cool it could have been.

Edit: well, I was going to try to have fun with the post game and exploring the remainder of the world but it turns out some of the required materials are in online squad missions that I need to get help from people for. Fuck this game lol.

Last edited: