• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Femto0

Banned
Apr 28, 2018
Just finished zero no kiseki and liked it so much. It's really good if you haven't play it give it a chance

jaekeem

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished zero no kiseki and liked it so much. It's really good if you haven't play it give it a chance

did you like it more than trails in the sky?

I haven't played zero/ao, but a lot of people see to laud the crossbell duology (particularly ao) and SC as the highs of the whole series

also, how'd you find the existing translation?

Femto0

Banned
Apr 28, 2018
did you like it more than trails in the sky?

I haven't played zero/ao, but a lot of people see to laud the crossbell duology (particularly ao) and SC as the highs of the whole series

also, how'd you find the existing translation?
I liked it more than fc and the 3rd yes but sc is better imo story sidequests and the ending are better. For translation there are many errors but it is enjoyable

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
I have started playing Trails in the Sky. I heard good things and was not disappointed. A game like this really goes to show how a turn-based RPG can be modernized and result in a very enjoyable experience. I am only on Chapter 1 but so far it is fantastic!
It only gets better story and character wise :)

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
When i first played Lost Odyssey i dropped it at the haunted mansion, but its a game that i really wanted to like and this has been a pretty big summer drought for me so i decided to try it again.

Got passed the haunted mansion this time but the same problem presented itself as last time. Random Encounters combined with puzzle elements is a really bad combination, you're trying to figure out what to do next and are getting constantly spammed by enemies with no way of avoiding them, to make this worse in the mansion it's pretty much the same fight over and over again, 1 set of enemies in the current, and 1 set of enemies in the past. Something that should have taken about 10 minutes to solve ended up stretching about 1.5-2 hours strictly due to random encounters with very repetitive gameplay.

Managed to get through it and the next few hours, but got to another Magic Staff area with more light puzzle elements and i spent a good 90 minutes making very little progress due to the constant random encounters and ended up dropping the game again.

If i were attached to the story/characters i'd probably keep playing, but outside of the dreams it's just not hooking me at all.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Alright just beat Super Mario RPG. Thinking of doing Final Fantasy VI since I'm in an RPG mood.

barjed

Project Lead
Verified
Aug 31, 2018
Decided to get into Fate Extella games after watching Jay's glowing review. I have no knowledge of Fate tho so instead of jumping in blindly I started watching Zero and, more importantly, playing Fate Extra on my Vita since this is supposed to be important for the Extella story.

The story and VN portions are great, the writing is nice and the story interesting. The actual gameplay though... The battle system is quite tedious and there is almost no strategy involved. I put about 8 hours in so far and I am torn between powering through it and just watching a LP on YT for the story bits. Does the gamelay get better? For the record, I chose Saber and am currently at the third Master.

DeadMoonKing

Nov 6, 2017
So, I just beat Suikoden II for the umpteenth time in my life, but this time my purpose was to get save data so that I could finally play the 2 Gaidens.
Given that it takes me forever to beat games and I have a gauntlet of business trips coming up from next month, I think I will try to focus on my handheld backlog, so either back to Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon or something on Vita.

MegaShadowX

Feb 5, 2019
Playing Dragon Quest on the 3DS while I wait to play DQ 11 on Switch (as I don´t have a PS4, at least for now), and as my PC doesn´t stand a chance to tun it smoothly.

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017
Ff7 on my lunch break at work. I have just escaped Midgard for the third time in seven years (I have never gotten further). I play Fire Emblem Three Houses whilst in bed.

tiesto

Oct 27, 2017
Long Island, NY
Been continuing onwards with Cold Steel 2. I just made it to
Roer
, about 46 hours in or so. I find this much better paced than the first CS game, the school sections in the first game felt very repetitive and bland, and it was only towards the end of the chapters that things start to happen. While the mostly reused environments/towns are a bit of a drag, I'm still enjoying things immensely.

DeadMoonKing

Nov 6, 2017
Finished Suikoden II. It's as great as I remember it, though I honestly kinda rushed through it just to create save data for the two Gaidens that I have never played. Who knows when I'll get to those though.

On another note, my copy of Magic Knight Rayearth came in yesterday and it seemed kind of scratched, so I popped it in to make sure it worked. I ended up playing about two hours of it. I'm not familiar with the source material, but it seems charming and fun in that 90's anime way. There is a ton of voice acting, which is cool (though both it and the anime cutscenes are compressed to all hell). HLTB also says it's less than 15 hours, so I might just to try play that since it seems like a fun little romp. Any one have any thoughts on it?

tiebreaker

Oct 25, 2017
Finished Shining Resonance Refrain. I don't know how as the game is painfully mediocre.

This month I'll play DQ Builder and probably Metal Max Xeno.

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017
Fire Emblem Three Houses. Near the beginning but I'm loving this game. This is going to be a huge time sink for me.

Akabeko

Oct 27, 2017
Should finish Tales of Vesperia tonight. Love the characters, story is pretty good, but the combat and high encounter rate are killing me. I'm skipping all sidequests and optional content at this point because I just want the game to be over.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
Just finished nier on ps3 and it was kind of a painful experience. Those sidequests sucked balls.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
Finished Yokai Watch 3, thankfully. Took like 52 hours with minimal side questing, actually have no clue how my time ballooned that much but happy it's over.

Finished chapter 5 of Tokyo Xanadu. That last dungeon was super long (15 minutes, which is triple the length of the other dungeons) and the boss really tough compared to the ones that came before.

Last edited:

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
Should finish Tales of Vesperia tonight. Love the characters, story is pretty good, but the combat and high encounter rate are killing me. I'm skipping all sidequests and optional content at this point because I just want the game to be over.
Yeah finish it. I experienced the same thing for like 15 hours. The pacing gets better and story a lot more interesting at some point. Kind of made me feel like the game was overrated, untill i finished it. Twas good in the end.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fucking god damn it my Hyperkin Retron deleted all my saves again!

obsoke

Oct 27, 2017
It's a long weekend for me so I think I'm going to start Cold Steel 2. I played Sky The 3rd & Cold Steel 1 back-to-back and although CS1 ends on a cliffhanger, I was a little burnt out to start it right away.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
ok im deff. going to make an effort soon to start up my first playthrough of Shadowhearts: Covenant, i got a CRT ready for it and everything

maybe i'll resume my campaign in Disgaea aswell

im also in the middle of my first Nocturne playthrough, but i kept losing hours of progress so i quit playing

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
Started up Ni No Kuni 2. Around 4 hours in and with the negativity on this site about it I wasn't sure what I expected but so far it's a gorgeous charming game. The art, music and design are great. Combat is so so though an upgrade from the first game. The one thing I don't like is the world map chibi characters. My god they are ugly. They look like they belong in a budget mobile game, it's such an odd contrast.

Eppcetera

Mar 3, 2018
Fire Emblem: Three Houses. It'll probably be the only one I play this month, as I doubt I'll be done with it any time soon.

OskarXCI

Nov 11, 2018
New Game+ run of Trails of Cold Steel on PS4. Transferred my savefile from PS3/Vita and I'm aiming to get the Platinum trophy. Good thing that the trophy list is shared among all PS platforms.

burger rain

Banned
Jul 29, 2019
Started up Ni No Kuni 2. Around 4 hours in and with the negativity on this site about it I wasn't sure what I expected but so far it's a gorgeous charming game. The art, music and design are great. Combat is so so though an upgrade from the first game. The one thing I don't like is the world map chibi characters. My god they are ugly. They look like they belong in a budget mobile game, it's such an odd contrast.
This game doesn't get enough credit. I thought it was pretty darn good. Especially after they updated it with harder difficulty levels.

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
Decided to get into Fate Extella games after watching Jay's glowing review. I have no knowledge of Fate tho so instead of jumping in blindly I started watching Zero and, more importantly, playing Fate Extra on my Vita since this is supposed to be important for the Extella story.

The story and VN portions are great, the writing is nice and the story interesting. The actual gameplay though... The battle system is quite tedious and there is almost no strategy involved. I put about 8 hours in so far and I am torn between powering through it and just watching a LP on YT for the story bits. Does the gamelay get better? For the record, I chose Saber and am currently at the third Master.
I liked Extra's gameplay (and music and art style!) but no the battle system doesn't change and the dungeons get somewhat longer and trickier but're largely unchanged gameplay-wise also. If ya do keep playing it may interest ya to know that the enemy patterns ya learn in the first playthrough carry over to the next which makes going through the other 2 routes much more streamlined.

If the chibi style is what it took to get us a real overworld and the other stuff that uses chibi mode then I'm glad they went with it! Also didn't think it looked bad. But ya I also thought it was a real fun game that sucked me in with its quest system and other side stuff. Having played both NnK games this year I dunno why the second comes off as so polarizing in terms of general reception.

Glass Arrows

Jan 10, 2019
Started up Dragon Quest 5 a few days ago. Just got the Marital Organ from Harry.

I went into this game without much in the way of expectations either way, but I'm actually enjoying myself. To be honest though, I'm not really sure why? On paper it's a very basic JRPG from the SNES era (I'm playing the DS version), with relatively simple...everything. But I'm having fun.

Apparently I lucked out and obliviously recruited the Slime Knight on a whim, and he's one of the best monsters in the game. He's really been pulling his weight so far.

Etrian Oddity

Oct 26, 2017
Mother fucking Fire Emblem Three Houses

this goddamn game is gonna preoccupy me until Link's Awakening drops in September, I just know it

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
This game doesn't get enough credit. I thought it was pretty darn good. Especially after they updated it with harder difficulty levels.
If the chibi style is what it took to get us a real overworld and the other stuff that uses chibi mode then I'm glad they went with it! Also didn't think it looked bad. But ya I also thought it was a real fun game that sucked me in with its quest system and other side stuff. Having played both NnK games this year I dunno why the second comes off as so polarizing in terms of general reception.
Yeah I don't understand the negativity either, it seems like a well made gorgeous charming adventure so far. Looking forward to playing more.

Mar 8, 2019
I'm gonna try to play Final Fantasy 13-2 again. I quit halfway through last time I played it a few years back cause I got stuck and didn't know where to go. The optimization annoys me though, I have a GTX 1070 but the fps drops are killing me.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
I'm gonna try to play Final Fantasy 13-2 again. I quit halfway through last time I played it a few years back cause I got stuck and didn't know where to go. The optimization annoys me though, I have a GTX 1070 but the fps drops are killing me.

The first game has fps drops in battle even on a 2080ti, there's a slight stuttering as you run around as well. I'll probably get around to playing the second again but I remember really not liking Serah

GeekyDad

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
USA
Started up Dragon Quest 5 a few days ago. Just got the Marital Organ from Harry.

I went into this game without much in the way of expectations either way, but I'm actually enjoying myself. To be honest though, I'm not really sure why? On paper it's a very basic JRPG from the SNES era (I'm playing the DS version), with relatively simple...everything. But I'm having fun.

Apparently I lucked out and obliviously recruited the Slime Knight on a whim, and he's one of the best monsters in the game. He's really been pulling his weight so far.

Still up there as one of my top-2 DQ games. Played it on the DS. For me -- for one -- it's beautiful, still! And the story and pacing are just so polished and wonderful. All of its many elements just come together in a magical way. Great game!

tokkan

Nov 1, 2017
On and off with Octopath Traveller. Will get back at it when Forgotton Anne is done.
All the recent DQ news has me wishing I had my DS copy of 5 here. I came out of 4 (on DS) hot for more DQ, but i got burned out quickly. I'm not normally one for monster collecting, and that seems to be that game'a big focus

Mar 19, 2019
On and off with Octopath Traveller. Will get back at it when Forgotton Anne is done.
All the recent DQ news has me wishing I had my DS copy of 5 here. I came out of 4 (on DS) hot for more DQ, but i got burned out quickly. I'm not normally one for monster collecting, and that seems to be that game'a big focus
Not really a focus you can, in fact very easily, go through the entirety of DQV without doing one bit of monster collecting.

Timexy

Oct 30, 2017
Dragon Quest XI

I tried a "demo" some months ago on PC and didn't quite like it for some reason (KB&M options I think, can't recall) but gave it a new chance today on PS4 and I''m loving it. I was itching for a new RPG. It's also my very first DQ ever and it's been a while since I played a turn based RPG.