• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Glass Arrows

Jan 10, 2019
Update on DQV:

I'm up to the third generation.

I feel it could use some QoL features. If I can carry more than 9 items in my bag, why can I only buy 9 from a shop at a time? Also, why can I only get medicinal herbs which heal for so little this late in the game? Together these issues means I have to spend an unnecessary amount of time in the shop buying herbs to heal my party if I don't want to waste MP on healing. The only consolation is how absurdly cheap they are.

I knew about DQ5's narrative in a broad sense but actually playing it, while I wouldn't necessarily say it ranks highly on my "favorite game stories" I do think it is very unique and forward-looking even compared to many JRPG's that come out today, and for a game that is so old it's not at all unsatisfying in that department either (I get that I'm playing the DS remake which changed things around a bit, but still). I picked Debora as the bride (which I had planned to do from the start) and it's actually pretty cool to use party chat and hear her talk about herself and the places you're at. She could have easily been a grating character but her self-absorbed personality is actually pretty entertaining and makes her easily the most memorable of the brides, so I don't regret picking her at all.

The monster recruiting is also a really cool feature that from what I remember predates Pokemon by a good margin. I wish the recruitment rates for the monsters weren't so miserly though. This proved to be a big issue with the Magmen fight for the Circle of Fire, it really feels like that fight expects you to have four party members but I only had three, they do such ridiculous damage at that point in the game that it's difficult to keep up. I tried to recruit a bag of tricks to help me but I sat there for like multiple hours without getting one, so eventually I just tried to do the boss again with the party I had an only barely managed to win. Without the Slime Knight I got earlier by a complete stroke of luck it would have been impossible to win, he really is an excellent party member.

Overall I'm still enjoying myself. I was already planning on giving DQ8 and XI a shot, but I was very unsure if DQ was for me, and now I think it is likely that I will dig them because of how consistent the series is, which is great.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm trying to slowly chip away at my backlog and am currently playing through Blue Reflection. This game is...weird.

The inclusion of school life and social links reminds me of a super chill persona and the battles are simple, but enjoyable enough. What really confuses me though is the intended audience. Most of the story and missions is about being supportive and helping your friends through common adolescent issues. It's kind of refreshing and nice. Then, every once in a while, they will throw in a see through top or a lingering shot of a girl's butt that makes you go wtf.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
Is Monster Hunter World considered a JRPG?

Because that would be my answer. Just fooling around in there, helping people do AT stuff, etc etc.

Serious gaming though, that would be Fire Emblem Three Houses. Currently at the beginning of chapter 4, I believe? Playing for Blue Lions. A bunch of likeable characters in there, even the not so obvious ones.

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
I got an itch to catch scout and raise/battle monsters so I've found myself replaying DQ Monsters Joker 2! The first areas music/look/feel are still real good.

Marnie

The Fallen
Dec 3, 2018
Playing Bravely Default for the first time. On chapter 2 and really like the game so far. Job system is super fun and the story, while not so original, is decent.

GeekyDad

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
USA
Playing Bravely Default for the first time. On chapter 2 and really like the game so far. Job system is super fun and the story, while not so original, is decent.

It really is a wonderful game, polished to near perfection. Beautiful, fun, inventive and delightful.

But...

Its transgressions were NOT overstated.

You'll see...

Numberfox

Aug 5, 2018
I wasn't expecting Three Houses to just devour my free time, but that is now the case. Was dubious since I didn't enjoy Fates much, but definitely enjoying my time here.

Naha-

Feb 6, 2019
I think I'm in the Final Dungeon of Zero no Kiseki.

I also want to start Ys VIII soon in my PS4.

GeekyDad

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
USA
I finished the main storyline last year but I'm ultimating the additional content.

I have been enjoying it a lot, easily one of the best JRPGs of the current gen. in my opinion.

That's great to hear. I definitely want to check it out.

I'm playing it too. About 20 hours in. I really like it. Fantastic art, music, atmosphere. It's a little easy on normal but other than that I find it really relaxing and charming.

Ah, thanks. It really does look quite beautiful.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
Finished the final chapter of Tokyo Xanadu Ex+. The fact that I still have epilogue and final story is dreadful, I want this game to end. I hope Cold Steel 3 will remind me why I like Falcom games because this game makes me think they can't do any better than straight up C- level anime dreck. Yawn. Not to mention the cutscenes that drag forever with characters saying absolutely nothing of importance. I think I'm describing Cold Steel after all.

Last edited:

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
Finished the final chapter of Tokyo Xanadu Ex+. The fact that I still have epilogue and final story is dreadful, I want this game to end. I hope Cold Steel 3 will remind me why I like Falcom games because this game makes me think they can't do any better than straight up C- level anime level dreck. Yawn. Not to mention the cutscenes that drag forever with characters saying absolutely nothing of importance. I think I'm describing Cold Steel after all.
I swear I'm the only person alive that enjoyed Tokyo Xanadu Ex+ ha ha.

If it makes you feel better I gather it was handed to some of the younger/newer staff to get experience. It's a little anime clichéd and I can't say the combat was stellar but I had a good time with it. Wouldn't mind an improved sequel.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In the mood for another classic SNES game. Should I play Trials of Secret Densetsu 2/3 or Earthbound?

Oct 25, 2017

This was one of the games I bought during the summer sale per another user's recommendation (thanks etrain911!). It's a charming game with charming characters and a charming, Pokemon-esque art style, with surprisingly addictive gameplay imo. I beat the main story last night and am now in the post-game.

Oh, and the music's great too.

Sidenote: I wish Heartbeat was more well-known. There was only one complete playthrough of this game on YouTube from what I could find.

Last edited:

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Finally beat Persona 5 and loved it. Wrote a longer post about it on my blog https://valkrion.wordpress.com/2019/08/13/persona-5-review-dancing-all-night-for-100-hours/

I think I'll burn my way through Final Fantasy XII now on Switch. It's pretty easy to sit down before bed and knock out like 20 minutes or so at a time to keep me interested between longer sessions. Going to try and use Vann and Penelo this time since I never used them the first time I played this back in the day. But Ashe stays, she always stays lol.

GeekyDad

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
USA

This was one of the games I bought during the summer sale per another user's recommendation (thanks etrain911!). It's a charming game with charming characters and a charming, Pokemon-esque art style, with surprisingly addictive gameplay imo. I beat the main story last night and am now in the post-game.

Sidenote: I wish Heartbeat was more well-known. There was only one complete playthrough of this game on YouTube from what I could find.

Looks adorable. Added it to my wishlist.

Nov 4, 2017
So, Fire Emblem Three Houses is amazing. It made me really excited to get back into the series. Because I bought Fates and never ended up playing more than a couple of chapters. I sort of want to do every route in 3H.

But out of curiosity I started playing the original FireEmblem. It is actually still kind of fun. I'm about 5 chapters in. Not the most polished thing, but it's good.

Out of excitement for 11, I also started Dragon Quest 1 on the NES. That is a primitive RPG. Just grind until you can move to the next area. Also that battle theme DRONES. I've finished the DS remakes of 4 and 5. I got to say, 4 has been my favorite. I know 5 tops a lot of lists, but I just didn't care much for it.

etrain911

Oct 27, 2017

I'm so glad to hear you liked it! I think it's a great game!

b3llydrum

Feb 21, 2018
Jumped back into Octopath, I haven't touched it since last summer.

I'm REALLY enjoying this game again! I think I just got burnt out on it last summer after 55 hours. But I'm back IN and having a great time.

I have two more Chapter 4s and 3 more of Special Job classes to get. I don't know if I'll ever finish that final dunegon, I hear it and the final boss suuuuucks.
Dude. The final boss does suck. It's the most painful JRPG experience I've ever had, spending 45 minutes only to get a total party wipe - three times.
However, finally beating it is probably one of my greatest gaming victories. Worth it.

b3llydrum

Feb 21, 2018
Currently working on finishing my 100% playthrough of Torna.
Right now I'm just grinding the rest of the way up to level 99 via Herculean Gibson. i think we have like 2 levels to go.

It took me over 500 hours to fully complete the main game (Xenoblade Chronicles 2), and Torna is a breeze compared to it.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
Right now I'm just grinding the rest of the way up to level 99 via Herculean Gibson. i think we have like 2 levels to go.

It took me over 500 hours to fully complete the main game (Xenoblade Chronicles 2), and Torna is a breeze compared to it.
500 hours to complete the main game? What. Did you. Do?

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017

500 hours? I only put about 100 hours into the game and that includes grinding. I did all sidequests as well. What did you do?

b3llydrum

Feb 21, 2018
500 hours? I only put about 100 hours into the game and that includes grinding. I did all sidequests as well. What did you do?

Full completion of everything available by the end of the game (meaning no Jin/Malos/Vandham), which means I spent my time doing the following:

- All sidequests complete, including NG+ and DLC
- All Blade quests complete, including NG+ and DLC
- All Driver overt and hidden Affinity charts complete
- All Blade Affinity charts complete (obligatory "fuck Ursula" with a bonus "fuck Dagas")
- All Merc missions complete
- All main story blades at max Trust
- All superbosses beaten

Also, some of the 555 hours includes my ingame purchase of Torna's main game file. The base XC2 game has maybe 485 hours, while the Torna DLC file has about 70.

I have another Torna purchase, separate from the internal DLC purchase of Torna, as well. This is what I've been 100% completing and have 90 hours in.

Overall I've spent about 650 hours in Alrest. I kinda like this game

tiesto

Oct 27, 2017
Long Island, NY
51 hours in, just finished the Reinford tower in CS2, still appreciate the pacing compared to the glacial pace of CS1, but the game seems to pull the whole... "beat or lose to a boss, boss gathers their power/summons other enemies, then a character from CS1 jumps in to save the day". It's getting to be a bit eye rolling at this point.

Also I think one of the new hires at work is a Kingdom Hearts super boss. Saw the latest new hire bulletin and noticed the name "Kurt Zisa", who was the person who won a contest to have a KH superboss named after him. Game was pretty fresh on my mind since I beat it for the first time earlier in the year. Now I'm not sure if it's the same person, but the KH wiki says he's from nearby, so... I dunno if I should email him and tell him I kicked his ass in KH :p

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
Finished up my replay of DQM Joker 2! That kind of games just so fun! Grind and grind and improve the monsters over an over! Oh an the games atmosphere is fantastic an this is one of the rare games where on-screen baddies are used to enhance the atmosphere and visuals of the world. Love seeing Jailcats frolicking in the snow an other monsters doing their thing. Plus they're really easily avoided! Forced encounters against random monsters aren't really a thing if you're paying attention. An lastly the soundtrack is great with the exception of mid bosses an major story bosses (barring the final one) is the same song which is kinda weird imo.

GeekyDad

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
USA
Finished up my replay of DQM Joker 2! That kind of games just so fun! Grind and grind and improve the monsters over an over! Oh an the games atmosphere is fantastic an this is one of the rare games where on-screen baddies are used to enhance the atmosphere and visuals of the world. Love seeing Jailcats frolicking in the snow an other monsters doing their thing. Plus they're really easily avoided! Forced encounters against random monsters aren't really a thing if you're paying attention. An lastly the soundtrack is great with the exception of mid bosses an major story bosses (barring the final one) is the same song which is kinda weird imo.

Only played the first one on the original DS, but yeah, I also really loved it. It was a nice, laidback change from other RPGs. Some Pokemon elements, but also very much its own thing with the wonderful DQ art style.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not sure I'll pick up any new JRPG until Dragon Quest 11 frankly, gotta save my energy for that, especially since afterwards it's being followed by Cold Steel 3 and Pokémon.

I may try and finish Fire Emblem Conquest until then though. I truly have no desire to play Revelation though, so I think after conquest I'm done.

I may also try and finally finish up Dragon Quest Heroes 2 (yeah... over 2 years since i started it, rip), or World of Final Fantasy.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
Finished Final Fantasy XII - Zodiac Age around the beginning of the week. I'd say it's an overall good JRPG with some highs and a few glaring lows. I liked the character cast overall, but the char development for most is a letdown. I especially would've liked Penelo to be more fleshed out. The story overall was more of a negative aspect, while the gameplay was really enjoyable after some more tinkering and finetuning with the gambits and jobs. Music and visuals (Switch, 95% undocked) were overall good to great!

If I were to score it, I'd give it a 7 to 7.5 out of 10. Good as in above mediocre or boring, but not great enough to be all that memorable.

And good Lord, some of the maps were just ... blurgh. Traversing huge open fields with NOTHING interesting in them sometimes was sooo dreadful. Dungeons which were more floor-like or had narrower pathways were much more interesting, like some of the mines, towers and such. More ... level-like environments, I'd say. That's were I enjoyed it the most and it ironically reminded me of playing Ys VIII in some instances due to the map design. And I really liked Ys VIII, so that's clearly a positive.

Now off to Fire Emblem Three Houses (probably).

Mutagenic

Oct 30, 2017
Ys VIII is free to play on Steam for another 26hrs. It's a good opportunity to see how the port has progressed.

maxvsthegames

Jun 21, 2018
In the mood for another classic SNES game. Should I play Trials of Secret Densetsu 2/3 or Earthbound?

Both are great choices, but I personaly prefered Secret of Mana and Trials of Mana over Earthbound.
But they are so different, that they are hard to compare to be honest.

First and foremost, both Mana games are more Action RPG, while Earthbound is Turn Based.

The Mana games are set in a Fantasy World (swords, armor, magic, etc), while Earthbound is set in the "real world" (Although there are some pretty weird stuff happening in that game too).

The Mana game have some humor, but are mostly serious, whilst Earthbound is very quirky, with weird enemies and the humor can be hit or miss depending on the player taste.

I don't know if this would change anything for your choice, but Earthbound is also a longer game (clocking at around 30+ hours), while both Mana games are a bit shorter (at 20+ hours each).

Lastly and this very important: both Mana games can be played with someone else. Most of the time, RPG are something that is only played by ourselves, but the Mana games are special in that way. It is just as good played alone, but having the choice is always great. (AI can be stupid sometimes, especially when they get stuck on something when following you. So playing with other people is also a good way to avoid that inconvenient).

Hope this helped you make a choice. Either way, you will have a good time playing those games.

PS: By the way, as far as I remember, you don't need to have played Secret of Mana to play Trials of Mana.

tokkan

Nov 1, 2017
Started DQVIII last week and have about 10 hours on it. Playing on 3DS and really impressed by how smooth it plays. I do really wish it had full 3D though. The 3D in DQVII was really, really well done (stable, no graphics breaking or double vision on n3DSXL), so I was bummed to learn this only has 3D in the equipment screen.

Gameplay wise first impression is positive. Hoping to beat it with enough of a lull before DQXI vines out on switch so I don't get burnt out on too much DQ :)

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
Still going through Fire Emblem. Believe I'm on the last third of game though, so already thinking of what will be next.

Either Grandia HD collection on switch, Lost Odyssey on Xbox One or FF 12: The Zodiac age (not sure yet on the platform).

Zephyx

Oct 28, 2017
I'm playing XC2 on the switch and Ys VIII on the PS4. Juggling two JRPGs at the same time is hard.

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
Playing Breath of Fire on SNES. It's ok. A bit bog standard but it's something I missed before and wanna go to before tackling BoF2 with the translated patch. I missed out on the sequel too and only got into BoF from 3 onwards.

Was thinking of playing Brainlord, Illusion of Gaia and Ys Oath afterwards.

Have tons of JRPGs to play between the 16bit stuff I never played back in the day and newer ps4 JRPGs but tbh I've played all the best ones the PS4 has. It's only crappier stuff from Idea Factory and Gust I haven't touched. These aren't as good as older 16bit JRPGs games tbh.

I have a few other indie ps4 RPGs like Fell Seal which even though is western developed mimics FFT. How is it?

I also wanna replay FFIV-FFVI on steam as I love achievements.

Last edited:

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
I like Breath of Fire 2 more than the first one but I wouldn't honestly recommend playing either of them particularly

Sgs2008

Mar 25, 2019
After about 5 months I've caught up with all of kingdom hearts including playing the 2 ds games. And currently in the middle of KH3