• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I finally finished The Last Remnant. Holy shit. 120 hours of non-stop gaming to get there. I thought I was going to lose it

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
Guys,

Y'all need to watch Disney Onward movie. It's the best JRPG movie I've ever seen. So good, made me cry and laugh. I think this audience would appreciate it the most.

Big ups from me and for people who enjoyed games like DQV.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
Guys,

Y'all need to watch Disney Onward movie. It's the best JRPG movie I've ever seen. So good, made me cry and laugh. I think this audience would appreciate it the most.

Big ups from me and for people who enjoyed games like DQV.

Those of us outside the US and Canada aren't deemed worthy enough to watch it unfortunately

JoeyJungle

Oct 27, 2017
Just started Code Vein. Is the gameplay loop basically master a blood code's abilities, then spend everything else in level ups until new abilities/blood codes open up?

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
I finally finished The Last Remnant. Holy shit. 120 hours of non-stop gaming to get there. I thought I was going to lose it

I have mixed opinions on it but a quick look at steam shows it's still my 5th most played single player game, the grinding for some of the weapon upgrades sure was something lol

JBU4J1t.jpg

Doom_Bringer

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Persona 5 Royal. I haven't played or enjoyed a JRPG in ages. This game is just way too good. Takes me back to the PSX days. Totally loving it! And it looks so good on the Pro

Misterhbk

Oct 27, 2017
Been playing Suikoden V for the last week. Forgot how Game of Thrones this shit is. Really loving the story, having forgot some key moments. Gonna play this til I can get my hands on FF7R.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
Been playing Suikoden V for the last week. Forgot how Game of Thrones this shit is. Really loving the story, having forgot some key moments. Gonna play this til I can get my hands on FF7R.

Make sure you speak to the private detective guy after major story events, its easy to miss recruiting him

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
FFVIIR. It's good.

Still playing Hacker's Memory too. Trying to speed through to the end so I can devote all my time to FF. One chapter left.

MrMegaMill

Nov 28, 2017
Bought Ni No Kuni when it was on sale for $10 on the Japanese eShop.

I never finished it on PS3 but loving it on Switch. So charming and I cant wait to see how it ends.

Misterhbk

Oct 27, 2017
Make sure you speak to the private detective guy after major story events, its easy to miss recruiting him
I know there's a way to recruit his...assistants? Not sure why to call them, but I know you can get them early and I think I missed it already. Didnt remember until I'd already skipped over that side quest.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
I'm trying to finish Torna before XBC:DE (got bored and never finished it) and now I'm remembering why:

I'm at the first town where you have to grind the community level up to 2. So I'm trying to do these fetch quests and when I look in my Community menu I see there are people with quests in the other stops I've been to. But when I fast travel back to previous locations, I can't find the people in the town with the "!" quest marker above their head.

Anyone know whatsup with that?

And what a buzz kill moment in the story for you to have to stop and do side quests to raise community...

Mr. Nice_Guy

Oct 27, 2017
Simultaneously beating Tales of Vesperia and FF IX for the first time each after trying and failing to in the past.

Still blown away but how good Vesperia's cast is. The second act has some pacing issues starting off, but everyone is just such a well realized person in their own right, and the entire cast just gels so well that I don't mind as much. Ridiculous amount of content and customization too. I remembered Beseria had a demo so I went to try that to see how the combat was and my god I couldn't get through two skits with that cast. Every piece of dialogue was a trite cliche and the designs were a nightmare hodgepoge of bad ideas. Maybe the demo picked a bad spot, since I see a lot of people praise the cast, but I did not see it there.

FF IX is the classic I remember it being, but with the benefit of speed up on the Switch and turning off random battles, it's actually moving at a bearable pace. If any FF deserves a remake next it's this one, especially since, (at least as of he start of disc 3), some characters seem to have major character growth moments just glossed over, which is really noticeable given how perfectly it's been for most of the cast.

BaShaBeSho

Oct 26, 2017
Kuwait
playing "Tales of Vesperia definitive edition" on the switch
tales-of-vesperia-definitive-edition-review-1024x576.jpg

didn't thought i will like the game very much but oh man...
loving the characters and story with nice voice acting
having sweet time with it.

DeadMoonKing

Nov 6, 2017
Really nice to see the Vesperia love in here. I've played my fair share of Tales of games, and it's definitely my favorite. I also think the cast is fantastic (except Raven...Oh boy, the lecherous ossan trope. Hooray. If they had switched him out for Malik from Graces, the game would have been perfect, but I guess even Raven gets his day in the sun.)

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
I'm going through TMS #FE at the moment. I like it thus far, let's see where we're going from here on out. Tsubasa is rather annoying right now, though.

Oct 27, 2017
Just now beat SMT4 (Credits are rolling right in front of me)! I feel like I just finished a marathon. Took me about 50 hours. I enjoyed it but damn, if I never have to navigate that damn map again it'll be too soon. Tokyo was hell.

Thematically? Story? Art and especially music? Fantastic. Grinding? Awesome. I just would have liked objective markers or SOMETHING so I didn't have to literally find my way around like someone who lives there.

I guess I better finish DQ11 now. I think I'm about 75% to the end of
part 2.
After that I've got a few options I already bought;
Octopath Traveler (Haven't played yet.)
Ys 8 (Haven't played yet.)
DQ8 (Haven't played yet.)
Devil Survivor 2 remaster or whatever (Haven't played yet.)
Earthbound (Played a TON on SNES a million years ago)
Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE (Haven't played yet.)
FF12 (Played on PS2, loved but never beat)
FF9 (Haven't played yet.)
FF7 (Beat on PS1 but was disappointed after ff6)
Persona 5 (Haven't put much effort into it, but really prefer portable options so it's a comfort thing for me)

Thoughts?

After SMT4 I feel like I need a palate-cleanser so finishing up DQ11 should do nicely.

Miya Moto

Jun 4, 2018
Just started Ys VIII after reading some of the high praise it received over here. Just got to the island so basically right at the start, but so far so good.

Also considering picking up Vesperia since it's on sale on Switch.

Foxnull

Alt-Account
Banned
May 30, 2019
Currently playing FF12, about 20 hours in. Not sure if I like it or not so far, combat has been a chore before getting my White Mage.

NioA

Dec 16, 2019
Just now beat SMT4 (Credits are rolling right in front of me)! I feel like I just finished a marathon. Took me about 50 hours. I enjoyed it but damn, if I never have to navigate that damn map again it'll be too soon. Tokyo was hell.
If it is of any comfort, Apocalypse has a way clearer map with a marker for the location of the main quest (among a lot of others qol and gameplay improvements)

JCX

Oct 25, 2017
Don't know if it counts, but Ring Fit Adventure is pretty great. Having a story mode really helps me forget the exercise part. It feels like a spiritual successor to Miitopia, which was also a seemingly low budget RPG with great music and a funny script

Eppcetera

Mar 3, 2018
I've been trying to get through Secret of Mana for the umpteenth time (just don't like the game that much), although I'm juggling my time between Mana and Yakuza 6 and have been playing a lot more of the latter.

Oct 28, 2017
25 hours into Octopath Traveler and the spike in difficulty in Chapter 2 is the stuff that makes me question if I want to keep playing...but that kick ass battle theme keeps me coming back. If feel like i need to grind cause none of my characters are at the recommended levels for the next chapter. Some of them feel woefully underpowered (looking at you Therion the thief)

It does have maybe the best battle system I have ever played in an Jrpg, although I don't play them that often.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
25 hours into Octopath Traveler and the spike in difficulty in Chapter 2 is the stuff that makes me question if I want to keep playing...but that kick ass battle theme keeps me coming back. If feel like i need to grind cause none of my characters are at the recommended levels for the next chapter. Some of them feel woefully underpowered (looking at you Therion the thief)

It does have maybe the best battle system I have ever played in an Jrpg, although I don't play them that often.

Grinding is literally never necessary in Octopath's main story. Level, in fact, means very little in Octopath; rather, most of your power increase is going to come in the form of equipment, job/party build, and tactics. The characters who do lag behind in levels will catch up quite quickly when fighting high level enemies because of the EXP scaling, and as long as they're equipped properly, they should contribute nearly as much damage/healing (and of course breaking) as a fully-leveled character.

If you haven't, I would highly recommend going around and collecting the various sub-job shrines. The game doesn't make it obvious that you must do this to unlock the job system, counting on the player to find them naturally by exploratory curiosity.

Each region's Chapter 2 outdoor area contains a hidden sub-job shrine unlocking the job of whomever began in that region (e.g. Apothecary - Riverlands; Dancer - Sunlands; Cleric - Frostlands). These are more than a sufficient power boost to take on the Chapter 2s, even if you aren't up to the "Recommended Level" (take those with a grain of salt!).

Be sure to Steal/Purchase new equipment from NPCs in every town you come across. Their inventories are almost invariably better than the generic vendors. The game isn't shy about throwing OP equipment at thorough explorers -- one of the best axes in the game, for instance, is in Alfyn's starting town, requiring the player to defeat the doorperson, then rare steal the axe from the NPC within.

In battle, I can't overstate the importance of not just creatively utilizing the break & boost systems, but also using buffs & debuffs. Combining all of those things and creating windows of opportunity can lead to exponential damage increase. A lot of people who find the game's fights "padded" usually aren't exploiting those synergies.

Oct 28, 2017
Grinding is literally never necessary in Octopath's main story. Level, in fact, means very little in Octopath; rather, most of your power increase is going to come in the form of equipment, job/party build, and tactics. The characters who do lag behind in levels will catch up quite quickly when fighting high level enemies because of the EXP scaling, and as long as they're equipped properly, they should contribute nearly as much damage/healing (and of course breaking) as a fully-leveled character.

If you haven't, I would highly recommend going around and collecting the various sub-job shrines. The game doesn't make it obvious that you must do this to unlock the job system, counting on the player to find them naturally by exploratory curiosity.

Each region's Chapter 2 outdoor area contains a hidden sub-job shrine unlocking the job of whomever began in that region (e.g. Apothecary - Riverlands; Dancer - Sunlands; Cleric - Frostlands).

Be sure to Steal/Purchase new equipment from NPCs in every town you come across. Their inventories are almost invariably better than the generic vendors. The game isn't shy about throwing OP equipment at thorough explorers -- one of the best axes in the game, for instance, is in Alfyn's starting town, requiring the player to defeat the doorperson, then rare steal the axe from the NPC within.

In battle, I can't overstate the importance of not just creatively utilizing the break & boost systems, but also using buffs & debuffs. Combining all of those things and creating windows of opportunity can lead to exponential damage increase. A lot of people who find the game's fights "padded" usually aren't exploiting those synergies.

Outside of using the break/boost system right, I didnt know about ANYTHING YOU JUST POSTED ABOUT, holy shit! I'm only on my first area of chapter 2 and got my ass handed to me in a field by Noblecourt. So all 8 have sub jobs? Deeper I must go...

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Outside of using the break/boost system right, I didnt know about ANYTHING YOU JUST POSTED ABOUT, holy shit! I'm only on my first area of chapter 2 and got my ass handed to me in a field by Noblecourt. So all 8 have sub jobs? Deeper I must go...

Yep! Enjoy. :) Wandering around and collecting the sub-jobs will not only give you a huge power boost just via the sub-jobs themselves, but also naturally increase your party's levels nearer to the CH2 recommendations.

After CH2, the level recommendations spike much less -- but I wouldn't pay much attention to them regardless. Like I said, level is minimally impactful, and you should be able to tackle stuff 10+ levels in excess of your party with the right approach.

SabinFigaro

Oct 27, 2017
Just about to finish up Trails of Cold Steel 2. Main story is complete and entering the epilogue, then Nightmare run for the Platinum.

Really loved the first TOCS, and the second is more of the same goodness. I have to say I enjoyed the original slightly more, although really at this point I'm still trying to put my finger on it why that is. TOCS2 had a bit more of a plodding middle act, whereas the opening and finale were great. Still, some of the best JRPGs in recent memory.

I don't usually play series back-to-back either, and I only just completed the first TOCS in late 2019. I think I'll probably take a bit of a break until TOCS 3.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
Just started Ys VIII after reading some of the high praise it received over here. Just got to the island so basically right at the start, but so far so good.

Also considering picking up Vesperia since it's on sale on Switch.

Me too. I'm super enjoying it a lot (YsVIII).

Personally I found the combat and music to be a super let down in Vesperia coming from YsVIII.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017

Bravely Default/Second had MORE jobs and abilities than 8path, but I feel like it was better implemented in 8Path than the Bravely series.

Yeah, there's 8 jobs + 2 "Advanced class" jobs that you get near the end of the game... which is kind of a bummer because they're TOUGH boss battles to win them, and by the time you win them, the game is nearly done and you don't have much use. Unless you want to tackle the "Final" dungeon when all 8 characters are done with their Act 4. But it's not worth it: it's a boss rush of everyone + a super strong final boss, with no saving. So if you make it to the final boss and lose you have to redo everything.

The music is great, but yeah just YouTube the thing after you try it once.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Bravely Default/Second had MORE jobs and abilities than 8path, but I feel like it was better implemented in 8Path than the Bravely series.

Yeah, there's 8 jobs + 2 "Advanced class" jobs that you get near the end of the game... which is kind of a bummer because they're TOUGH boss battles to win them, and by the time you win them, the game is nearly done and you don't have much use. Unless you want to tackle the "Final" dungeon when all 8 characters are done with their Act 4. But it's not worth it: it's a boss rush of everyone + a super strong final boss, with no saving. So if you make it to the final boss and lose you have to redo everything.

The music is great, but yeah just YouTube the thing after you try it once.

They're at the beginning of the game, there's no need to go into detail on the endgame yet. It would've been nice if there were more endgame challenges or a NG+ to tackle, but there's plenty of content for them to get excited about the job system in general.

(And there's 4 advanced jobs.)

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
They're at the beginning of the game, there's no need to go into detail on the endgame yet. It would've been nice if there were more endgame challenges or a NG+ to tackle, but there's plenty of content for them to get excited about the job system in general.

(And there's 4 advanced jobs.)
Agreed.

I wish there was more. Overall, I liked this game more than Bravely Default/Second. The combat system is one of my favorite in all JRPGs, and the music was great (but not as great as BD1) and of course that art style is a love letter to FFVI.

There's so much like to about 8Path. It just need a little bit more to elevate it to the all-time greats.

SmokedSalmon

Apr 1, 2019
I'm still going through Tales of Vesperia DE. I got it at launch but I kept putting it on the back burner when new games came out because I played the original a ton. I have a lot more time now though so I've picked it up again and I'm getting close to the end. After I beat it I want to play Tales of the Abyss on the 3DS, which I own but haven't really played because I've also beaten the original several times. If I have time after that I'll go through Symphonia again. I'm kind of going in reverse order here.

Slushimi

Oct 30, 2017
Finished Nier Automata. Amazing game. What I especially liked were the side quests. Did all of them, and bar 1 or 2 quests, they were all great and bring in meaningful lore to the world. Been in a while since I actually did all side quests a game has to offer. Definitely recommend the game!

Now I'm off to playing more of Trails in the Sky FC

obsoke

Oct 27, 2017
Ao no Kiseki. It's pretty great, although I'm missing all the improvements from Geofront's Zero no Kiseki translation. It's definitely not as bad as some people make it out to be.

I'm excited to finally play Cold Steel 3 after!

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
I just bought Final Fantasy VI on PC and intsalled the World Reborn mod.

IT IS AMAZING.

I'm upset I didn't buy this years ago. This is truly FFVI: Definitive Edition. The graphics look great the music is fully orchestrated and the UI looks modern. Seriously, I can't believe I've been missing out on this for so long.

I need to look and see if FFV has a similar mod. I wish Dragon Quest V was also on Steam. Looks like the only place to buy it is on Mobile.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
I just bought Final Fantasy VI on PC and intsalled the World Reborn mod.

IT IS AMAZING.

I'm upset I didn't buy this years ago. This is truly FFVI: Definitive Edition. The graphics look great the music is fully orchestrated and the UI looks modern. Seriously, I can't believe I've been missing out on this for so long.

Does it get rid of the horrible phone UI?

guru-guru

Oct 25, 2017
I played the Trials of Mana demo the other day and really enjoyed it, so I preloaded the game which ended up giving me a 70% discount on Collection of Mana. I'm planning to start Secret of Mana tonight.

Naha-

Feb 6, 2019
XC2 Torna DLC. So far i'm loving it and even if the base game had great characters like Zeke and Morag, I think I'm a bigger fan of Torna's main cast. I'm going to try to play it as much as possible before I start my NG+ playthrough of Cold Steel 3 to get the platinum.