• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 279

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What are you playing and what are your thoughts? Any interesting observations? Don't be scared to share your thoughts about a game that someone else is playing.

What I'm playing:

MS Saga on PS2
Extremely mediocre, semi-obscure JRPG Gundam game with a cool grid-based equipment system.

-The character designs are atrocious
maxresdefault.jpg

Yeah, typical JRPG nonsensical designs, but what makes it worse is that everyone else in the game wears normal clothes lol...

-Story is non-existent
Mysterious apocalypse happened, there is now a big bad organization trying to conquer what's left of the world.
The loli character has a secret power, and the cool guy team mate is really the big baddy... its so fucking in your face from the first second of the game.

-Gameplay is just "OK"
Outside of battle, it's very typical. World map you can wander around, fly around, teleport around. Towns, dungeons, NPC'S to chat, books, treasure chests, etc.

Battles:
3 mobiles suits active on the field but you're able to switch mid-battle to your reserves to play off of their speciaties. Characters have attack skills that they have to build up points in-battle to use, and also magic for healing/buffing/debuffing that uses a separate resource. Enemies come in very diverse builds, with TONS of variety, all based on mobile suits from the TV shows.

The one unique thing about the game is the grid system to equip melee weapons, guns, shields. Better suits have bigger grids and weapons take up space differently depending on the type. Weapon types are broken up into subsections under melee and guns, which allows you to be really creative in how you set up each character.

You can build up a mobile suit for melee, range, speed, or armor to play off the pilots stats/skills and then set up the weapons to play off of that. It's got decent depth, and is probably the only reason I continue to play the game.

Also, there are TONS of weapons and guns, parts for the suits, etc. Best part is that it's all visible. Unfortunately the graphics are very MEH even for it's time, but if you're a big Gundam fan, you'll take what you can get.

Overall, my appreciation for Gundam is just enough to make this game tolerable to play through.

Nbz

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I just wrapped up Cosmic Star Heroine!

Was a wonderful game that really showed innovation in the battle system. Having to be strategic about when you recharge, what moves to save until you have enough style/hyper meter to take advantage of big damage and managing who should be in the party was a lot of fun. Soundtrack is also one of my favourites of this year, right behind Persona 5, the battle victory theme in particular is fantastic.

Hopefully more people pick it up, because I feel like it got buried under the weight of 2017's absurdly good lineup

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Last one I played was the Octopath Traveler demo

And that shit rocked. Cannot wait to play the full game

kenta

Oct 25, 2017
Does Yakuza Kiwami count? Have seen people call the series a JRPG but I can see it going both ways

Have only just recently started it but it's great so far. Really glad I played Yakuza 0 first because now I'm seeing notable dudes from that game and it's really exciting. Also it's wild to be back in the same town, the plot has had me go to various stores and I immediately knew where they were and was able to beeline straight for them, what a cool feeling

Niahak

Oct 25, 2017
Finished Persona 5. I was pretty impressed overall. Some of the ending section got a little weird, but I expected it.
Good: Music, core mechanics, overall party atmosphere and interactions
Bad: A little Too Anime in places (some events, some confidants although most were great). Battles get really slow in late-game from confidant mechanics.

Last 'normal' palace was good, I loved the theme and the design. Some of the puzzles were obnoxious but thankfully the ones after weren't nearly as bad.
Final-final twist was good!
Final section was kind of silly, dungeon was super short and the sudden jump in enemy levels was nuts. Final boss was easy - I actually preferred the last normal palace boss overall.
Penultimate section was really good, I enjoyed the optional dialogue and stuff too.
It didn't hit me until a couple days later about the connection between overall outline of the game and the 7 deadly sins.

Deleted member 2699

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The SMTV announcement inspired me to restart Nocturne and finally finish it. The style and atmosphere still hold up super well, but I do miss some of the quality of life improvements of the more modern entries in the franchise.

Oct 26, 2017
Virginia, US
I think I might get back into Tales of Zestiria on PS4. When I started playing I played about 10 hours in but decided to play other games. I want to play through it and watch the anime. I liked the 10 or so hours I played. I think I like it better than Tales of Xillia 2.

Carli

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, Washington
Currently playing The World Ends With You for the first time. Still don't have a feel for the combat but loving the presentation and the uniqueness of the systems. Also playing FFXV but taking forever cause I enjoy seeing and crafting recipes. Persona 5 after that.

kenta

Oct 25, 2017
The SMTV announcement inspired me to restart Nocturne and finally finish it. The style and atmosphere still hold up super well, but I do miss some of the quality of life improvements of the more modern entries in the franchise.
Right there with you, dude, it feels like there are so many games in their catalog that are ripe for refreshes/updates/rereleases -- they hold up well, except for QoL and other minor tweaks... Will never understand why they don't milk more of their own stuff (they're very good at milking Persona, but why only that?!)

aidan

Oct 25, 2017
Super Mario RPG—I first played this on release, and it's forever been one of my favourite RPG experiences. Since then, I've never replayed it in full, usually dropping out after a couple of hours. (Kero Sewers... sigh.) The SNES Classic gave me the perfect opportunity to finally commit to it, and I've been having a ton of fun. Just got to Monstro Town with about 9 hours on the clock. It holds up really well. Snappy battles, a legitimately funny localization, GREAT set pieces, and all the weirdness I remember.

Terranigma—My first playthrough. It's been on my radar for years, but somehow I missed the NTSC patch, and couldn't put up with the PAL sluggishness. Needless to say, 60hz is a game changer, and I've been enjoying it tremendously. Currently at Louran. Great worldbuilding, combat's simple, but doesn't get in the way, unique concepts, and, damn, that goat scene. Considering how long I've been wanting to play this, it's living up to my (probably unfair) expectations.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
7th Dragon III - Code VFD

I enjoyed the demo, so I picked the game to play. Not having fun at all now. While I like the classes and basic gameplay, the dragon fights are boring and I die a lot because of hack missing every turn.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Playing Tales of Phantasia remake on PS1, never released in English but the fan translation is really good.

-Redone spritework is among the most impressive 2D work in ANY RPG. Tremendous.

-Very fully featured! Despite being the first game in the series it already has all the trademark elements of the series (VA, convos, AI customization, cooking, etc). Dunno what was added from SNES.

-Great attention to detail. Interacting with cooking stations, chimneys, custom tilesets for towns, custom room and bathroom details. Just awesome.

TheChamp

Abused the Buy/Sell/Trade thread
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Currently playing Final Fantasy XII: Zodiarc Age to revisit this blast from the past on current hardware in full hd

Skip

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in the middle of both Nocturne and Wizardry: Tale of the Forsaken Land playthroughs. Really enjoying my time with both. Some of the most eerie and atmospheric games out there, exactly how I like them! Although I've reached a point in both where I had my fill of combat and at this point it slows my progression just a bit too much. I took a break and I'm ready to dive back in.

DassoBrother

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan
I've been playing Earthbound and already gotten further than I ever have on previous attempts, which were never really that far to begin with (like my party never grew larger than 2 characters). Not sure what held me back before because I'm struck by how quirky and charming the game is. It's well-paced. I'm always looking forward to getting to the next town to get a bit more story, meet weird characters, and encounter new enemies. I generally like when JRPGs keep you upgrading your equipment at a steady pace and this game does that perfectly too. Haven't had any problems with grind yet either but I'm only just starting a desert area.

Terranigma looks pretty awesome and I'll have to try to get to it but it'll be awhile. I'm guessing after Earthbound I'll have to take a break until Xenoblade 2 and then probably more breaks before diving into other RPGs on the SNES Classic. It's really easy to tire of the format if I play too many RPGs back-to-back.

NinjaCoachZ

Oct 26, 2017
I'm wrapping up Fire Emblem Echoes on 3DS. I'm toward the end of Act 4 so I'm nearly done. I don't like how big and empty a lot of the maps are, and how repetitive it is that all the objectives are Rout the Enemy, but aside from that I honestly think it's my favourite of the 3DS FEs. Gaiden is a game I never really gave any credit beforehand so it is amazing that they managed to completely breathe such a new sense of life into it. This is how you do a remake.

straylize

Oct 25, 2017
I've been alternating between Persona 3 FES and P3P (female protagonist route) as a side-by-side run to revisit it and see the differences more directly. It's been fun! I'm also playing through Persona 5 with a friend, and currently trying to decide what I want to tackle when I'm done with all of those.

Philia

Oct 25, 2017
I've just decided to dust off my ps2 and try to finish some of my monster backlog on that console. Starting with Ar tonelico: Melody of Elemia. Its... interesting so far. Mind you, I've just completed Zelda BotW and I mean all friggin 900 korok seeds. So yeah I was in a super mood for a slow paced rpg with some plot to dive into. No matter how banal it was, I was ready to cruise on through some rpgs for a while.

RyougaSaotome

Oct 25, 2017
I'm playing Tengai Makyou Zero. The fan translation was finally released -- it's the first time a core Tengai Makyou game has made it to English.
Playing Deep Strange Journey on portable and chipping away at Sen no Kiseki 3 right now, but this one is next on my list! Very excited to finally play a Tengai Makyou game!

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
I should be progressing in Nier Automata but I just keep wandering and having fun with combat instead of actually progressing through the story routes. I've also got Dragon Quest VII calling me, like when are you ever going to come back baha.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
Final Fantasy XII Zodiac Age, beat the game and now finishing up hunts, espers, and getting Platinum.

Beartruck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Etrian Odyssey V, on basic difficulty with auto-map enabled. Yes, im a bad person and I dont care. :p

javadoze

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still smack-dab in the middle of Trails in the Sky 3rd.

At the rate I'm going, I'll probably be done by the time Xenoblade 2 comes out.

rhandino

Oct 25, 2017
Re-playing Shin Megami Tensei IV AGAIN because last time I did I got the Chaos path and before THAT I got Law and Emptiness.

Staying Neutral in this thing is HARD T_T

Really excited to play Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse after this =3

Baliis

Oct 25, 2017
Currently in the final chapter of Ao no Kiseki and loving it. The game started a bit slow coming off the absolutely 11/10 ending that Zero had, but since Chapter 3 or so it really picked up and since Chapter 4 has been a non stop wild ride.

Fou-Lu

Oct 25, 2017
I finished Tales of the Abyss while waiting for ERA to come online. The ending portion definitely outstayed its welcome, but I overall really enjoyed it. It likely has the best character writing in a Tales game though Berseria got close. I probably won't start another JRPG until after I am done with Super Mario Odyssey. I am about ten hours into the original Shin Megami Tensei, so if Amazon doesn't get my copy of Odyssey to me tomorrow then I might play more SMT over the weekend.

Malfred

Oct 26, 2017
Slowly playing through Disgaea 5.
After the high that was "A Promise Unforgotten" the story and gags fall a bit flat, but the mechanics have (as they tend to do) improved drastically.
Don't think I've ever used Towers for anything other than puzzle solving, reaching far corners of a map quickly, until now.. Now I actually do use it for combat.
Think I'm almost at the end of the tutorial.. 1 or 2 chapters left to go.

nano

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
FF XII Zodiac Age, but it's kinda on hold. Played the original and currently can't bring myself to finish it.

Actively Hyperdimension Neptunia Rebirth1, got it for cheap on sale. It's... weird. The dungeons/fields and menus somehow remind me of Phantasy Star Online.

Sen No Kiseki 2 will be next I guess. I started it after I finished the first game, but put it on hold because I didn't want to burn out on the series by playing both after another.

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
Still working on Persona 5 lol. I've had it out from Gamefly for literally five months now.

Euman

Oct 25, 2017
I'm currently at the last phase of Sin in FFX. I'm really enjoying the battle system and being able to swap party members per turn. Definitely makes for some fun combos/careful planning in boss fights. Normally I'm not into the level of linearity in regards to the story, but after just finishing Dragon Quest VII after 80+hours, I definitely welcome the clear-cut follow the path story.

Trying to decide between Dragon Quest VIII, Bravely Second, or I am Setsuna next.

Trago

Oct 25, 2017
Played Persona 5 earlier in the year. I'm going all in on Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and Ni No Kuni 2 on release later this year and early next year.

Mzril

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Recently Completed FE:Echoes.

Really wish they'd bring back the arts system but without the Weapon Exp stuff, and enjoyed the challenge.

asari

Oct 25, 2017
Trying to finish Persona 5 after takin a break from gaming due to personal problems.
Im at 85 hours in an just in Septembre lol.

SliceSabre

Oct 25, 2017
Just picked up Devil Survivor 2: Record Breaker. Haven't actually gotten around to playing it yet.

Still trying to currently finish off Dragon Quest Heroes 2.