• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

verygooster

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Speaking of which, help me avoid making a similar thread:
When American tourists come up and say "How are you?", what's the proper response? I've tried everything (like answering, for example saying "Good, and you?". Or ignoring it as a question and responding with "How are you?" or "Hi"), and I always got some sort of bewildered hesitation in return.

I'm guessing "how are you" isn't seen as another form of "hello" in other places like in the US but honestly I don't really see an issue with those responses you give either.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of which, help me avoid making a similar thread:
When American tourists come up and say "How are you?", what's the proper response? I've tried everything (like answering, for example saying "Good, and you?". Or ignoring it as a question and responding with "How are you?" or "Hi"), and I always got some sort of bewildered hesitation in return.
Strange of them because here in the states saying an equivalent of "I'm doing great, how about yourself?" usually is the standard. If anything it throws people here in the US off when you're just saying it as a greeting and someone actually goes "well. Actually bad" because the person might just be trying to greet you and be polite and here you are about to possibly dump a lot of baggage on them. If the person is close to you that's fine, but a coworker you barely speak with? Oof.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
Strange of them because here in the states saying an equivalent of "I'm doing great, how about yourself?" usually is the standard. If anything it throws people here in the US off when you're just saying it as a greeting and someone actually goes "well. Actually bad" because the person might just be trying to greet you and be polite and here you are about to possibly dump a lot of baggage on them. If the person is close to you that's fine, but a coworker you barely speak with? Oof.
I'm guessing "how are you" isn't seen as another form of "hello" in other places like in the US but honestly I don't really see an issue with those responses you give either.
Oh well, I've just started saying "Grüß Gott, how can I help you?", which basically skips over whatever they were expecting, and cuts to the chase.

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
The goofy-assed, surreal ones that often have that Seinfeld-esque quality of starting about nothing at all.

Don't really get those anymore since the mods are curmudgeons.

Deleted member 11985

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I like the joke/awkward human advice threads the most. Everybody always comments "why can't you people be normal" in them, but you all know you'd miss those threads if they were gone.

OP
OP
julia crawford

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
The goofy-assed, surreal ones that often have that Seinfeld-esque quality of starting about nothing at all.

Don't really get those anymore since the mods are curmudgeons.

Yeah that's depressing... i like them too, i like that kind of conversation in general. I've had my share of "doesn't make for good discussion" warning like goddamn i'm just trying to have a conversation, wow. Chill.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Backfires. Those are the best.

The ones where someone mistakenly posts in the wrong forum or has a misspelling in the title and everyone rushes in to leave their lameass comments about it are the worst.

Chojin

Oct 26, 2017
I like threads with positive news. OTs on topics I like. Oh and Blamespace OPs.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
"Let's talk about this extremely specific aspect of this game/series" threads. Those are the best.

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I like those threads where OP goes like

"This piece of media is the best of all media"

And then the following posts are like "No <YouTube link>" or "OP is wrong" and "What? No! X is!!!", etc.

It's fun to see the examples later given.

Avantgarde

Oct 27, 2017
As a big fan of statistics and industry related news, I prefer threads about sales figures, developers insights, movie and tv show ratings, sociological studies and polls.
As a collector I love to be inspired by threads about real people collecting physical things, exchanging tips and showing off their collections.

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
Breaking news threads
Sometimes I hear about stuff in here before anywhere else on the internet

my least favorite:
Dragonball
Last jedi
Fast and furious hate
Video game review

Slick Butter

Oct 25, 2017
i like when there's a thread where we discuss cultural differences between the US and some other country usually involving food that inevitably turns into a big dumb argument about cookies or sandwiches or some shit

captainmal01

Oct 28, 2017
Positive scientific discoveries or artwork threads - especially videogame ones - are the best.
I also like the musical ones like 'most chill OST' etc.

We need way more historical threads.

bawjaws

Oct 28, 2017
Threads that aren't about Star Wars, the MCU, manga/anime series, how people wipe their arse, or which x is better.

So about 0.00001% of all threads here.

Subpar Scrub

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
reported for emoji use in title

Be careful with this. I just got a warning like 5 mins ago for "abuse of report system" for reporting three comments that I thought were really distasteful. I didn't even realise there was a reporting guideline tbh 😬

Thequietone

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know, but everytime I see that emoji in the thread title I think it's locked and I click it to see why it was locked, and to be honest it's driving me crazy.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I like threads where people post about things they have a lot of passion for and people are generally positive about it. Far too rare these days. Also (somewhat related), space threads.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
"Can this animal beat this other animal in a fight?"
Hell yeah, these. Not just limited to animals, though. Like, that Madara vs Aizen thread is great, despite my never having watched even a single episode of Naruto.

"Let's talk about this extremely specific aspect of this game/series" threads. Those are the best.
I really enjoy these, too.

I'm not really into OTs and aggregator threads. Those tend to move too quickly and can never really focus.

And I hate "wholesome" threads. Mainly because I have being told what's wholesome.

Bobson Dugnutt

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like it when someone makes a really self righteous thread and it backfires on them.there were several of those recently

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Every now and then I see a thread title with a weird title that I can't make any sense out of, but I ignore it until for some reason it builds up to five pages long, and then finally I have to give in and enter it to see what the fuss is about.

Like, right now there's a thread about thunder and a truck or something, it's a shit title and I don't know wtf it could be about but it seems like it's getting popular.

Bear in mind I've set the forum to show 100 posts per page.