• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
It's not that impressive, I was mostly lucky as my learning of them was highly incidental. Frequent holidays (3 times a year, usually) in Andorra as a kid and parents who suck at foreign languages meant I was pretty much highly fluent in Spanish and competent in French by the time I was 10. The only children's channel I had on TV was Cartoon Network which was 100% in english with no subtitles at all but since I watched like 2 hours every afternoon starting when I was 6 I was also highly fluent in english by the time I was like 12 or so. Then there's my primary language (portuguese) which I of course am also fluent in and then there's German which I was kind of forced to learn due to my aunt moving to Switzerland when I was a baby and my cousins being rubbish at all other languages gorwing up. They spent about 1 month with me every single summer, so, by incidental exposure, I ended up learning it. The 6th language (Italian) was pretty easy since it is highly similar to Spanish and Portuguese, both of which I've completely mastered both in writing and orally.

I dabble in Arabic and Japanese, with enough conversational skill to get by and get my basic point across but no real freedom of expression and a complete lack of ability when it comes to the writing, since I can't read or write anything in either language.

I suppose circumstance dictated the way my brain perceives language in general. All of the above combined with the fact that we subtitle everything except young kid's shows in my country plus the complete lack of localized video game content in my native language meant I kind of had no choice but to be multilingual.

Wish I could say I worked my ass for it, but I really didn't, languages are just highly intuitive for me for some reason, it just comes easy.

Yep, it's exactly the same for me.

Now you've just impressed me even more :-P

Lady Murasaki

Scary Shiny Glasses
Oct 25, 2017
Mostly Portuguese, but I feel like my thoughts are more fluid when I think in English.

I am also trying to get familiar with Japanese, so sometimes I have 'reaction thoughts' using Japanese words (they are so awesome to express reactions).

DrJackson

Oct 29, 2017
Norwegian and english.
But I find it even more mindblowing to think about how the brain decides what we actually think about.

Yoshi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Most of the time, German, but when I'm talking English, then English. If it is a topic I mostly converse on in English (in particular, computer science, since that is my job), then English by default.

Xiyng

Oct 31, 2017
I'm Finnish so mostly Finnish, but occasionnally, for brief moments, in English.

Buttons

Oct 31, 2017
Since I grew up trilingual for me it totally depends on the language I am speaking. I think in English when I speak English, when I switch to German I think in German. Same for Afrikaans, once I start speaking it my mind flips into Afrikaans.

If I spend a day or two alone without speaking much it usually flips between English and German, depends whether I was reading or watching something in either language.

Theonik

Oct 25, 2017
Theonik language abstraction. Whatever Language I'm speaking in at the given time. I don't think I really notice. I don't vocalised thought unless I'm speaking or typing.

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND
It's not really something you're conscious about and depends on the context/situation. I speak 3 languages and that's how it is for me. If I am in a German context then German like reading German news, with programming I think in English, reading the forums (since outside of community OTs it's English) I think in English, among friends or at university in the past when it's a bunch of Swedes, French, English, German then everyone just interacts in English so also English there.

Not really something you're really aware of at all. However I suppose for most people our mother tongue may dominate generally but this is something difficult to really quantify accurately because you're not aware of it. So in general I would just say "you think in your mother tongue". It's not like you're ever "okay I am switching to Russian or German to think now".

Oct 30, 2017
Just like when it comes to speaking, I used to think in Filipino, but now it's just English. I do try to think in Filipino sometimes, though.

Seahawk64

Oct 27, 2017
Mix of Punjabi and English. I would say more Punjabi than Englsih.

But when I'm doing math in my head, it's always in Punjabi. Way quicker.