• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 1659

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just so we're not drowned into a semantic debate, the Wikipedia definition:

Gen-X - Born in the early 60's to early 80's. Younger Xers have some overlap with older Millenials - often called the Xennials aka: The Oregon Trail Generation. While older Gen-Xers have a bit of overlap with younger baby boomers.

Now the reason I ask is the recent article about the "OK Boomer" phenomenon and how many Millenials resent how the Baby Boomers have held back progress on today's biggest issues but there seems to be a lack of criticism for Gen X on any of it. Or maybe because Gen-X was just as victimized as Millenials have been by Boomer entitlement.

For their part, the first Gen X president was Barack Obama - not a bad start. A lot of tech CEOs today are Gen-Xers - Jeff Bezos for instance.

Deleted member 19868

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think generalizing people by generation has always been a lazy media tactic. That said, as someone who has always resented being lumped under the "gen X" label, nothing's really changed for me because I've been a leftist since high school. I can easily relate to Milennials or "gen Z" because I've always been too poor to own a house or a new car or a fancy desktop PC, no matter how hard I scrimp or save. I'll never be able to retire because medical expenses completely destroyed my savings. It's hard not to resent my parents' generation (the boomers, especially the reactionary and authoritarian boomers) for their selfishness, entitlement, and ignorance.

Even so, we should be less focused on blaming individuals and more focused on the people and systems at the top who keep capitalism in place for their own benefit. That's the root of the problem imo.

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
Boomer in this new context is not just about age it's a state of mind. It would be perfectly valid to say "ok boomer" to a millennial who believes climate change is a hoax and his/her generation is just lazy and entitled.

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Gen X gave us pretty good music and TV shows like Beavis and Butthead. Other than that who needs'em.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
I think generalizing people by generation has always been a lazy media tactic. That said, as someone who has always resented being lumped under the "gen X" label, nothing's really changed for me because I've been a leftist since high school. I can easily relate to Milennials or "gen Z" because I've always been too poor to own a house or a new car or a fancy desktop PC, no matter how hard I scrimp or save. I'll never be able to retire because medical expenses completely destroyed my savings. It's hard not to resent my parents' generation (the boomers, especially the reactionary and authoritarian boomers) for their selfishness, entitlement, and ignorance.

Even so, we should be less focused on blaming individuals and more focused on the people and systems at the top who keep capitalism in place for their own benefit. That's the root of the problem imo.
Pretty much my position too. I'm gen X but I have no problem relating to young people because I share their concerns and I'm poor as hell.

WinFonda

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Forget the arbitrary generational brackets for a moment. The older you are, the more likely you are to have regressive ideologies and vote conservative. Especially if you are white/male. Boomers are the eldest culturally active generation and are heavily woven into the political fabric, so that's why they are a target. Almost all of Gen X/Millennials are offspring of Boomers, so cultural rebellion was inevitable just as the Boomers did in the 60s.

thefit

Oct 25, 2017
We gave you damn good music, tv and movies and at the same time kicked boomers in the nutts. You know who is out there doing all this alt right shit, YouTube racist bs videos and flat-earthing, going libertarian because "both the same", and complaining about "political correctness" ? Not us that's all you millennials and zoomers. Stick your pepe up your asses.

HarryHengst

Oct 27, 2017

Pretty much this. I'm borderline gen X/millenial (born in 1984), so i get the joy of not being old enough to enjoy the benefits the previous generation had, but young enough to still experience most if not all effects of climate change.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
Minor. Maybe in my country they deserve a little more flack than in USA, but I don't think they have have done much.

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
We gave you damn good music, tv and movies and at the same time kicked boomers in the nutts. You know who is out there doing all this alt right shit, YouTube racist bs videos and flat-earthing, going libertarian because "both the same", and complaining about "political correctness" ? Not us that's all you millennials and zoomers. Stick your pepe up your asses.

Think you might be confusing Millenials with gen Z.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
The Boomers are a perfect example of how humans operate.
Most people here will end up just like them, selling their soul to the devil for a couple of bucks.

bitsykibbles

Oct 27, 2017
Gen X is like the step kid/middle child. It's never really held to a critical eye but it has a distinct and obvious place.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
For the most part, Gen X seems like an ally in good standing in the generational war against the Boomers. I'm for a big tent coalition to crush all Boomer-kind.

uncelestial

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco, CA, USA
Speaking as a Xennial: Zero. They're practically a micro generation compared to boomers and never held real power, and if you think they're taking the side of boomers in dealing with income inequality, social justice, the environment, etc, you're fucking up.

TissueBox

Oct 25, 2017
Urinated States of America
Every generation is responsible for the problems to plague those that follow!

For the longest time, Xers have been numbering the days that Boomers have left on this Earth so the debate on video game violence and hobbyist merit will finally end. Alas.

Lord Fagan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Gen X has never had the numbers or charismatic clout to wield power to break anything.

They're the battered veterans of modern generational warfare. They're not allies of the corrupt and unsustainable status quo.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Gen X made some grand claim as this irony-laced counter-cultural rebellion against consumerism and the structures their parents adhered to.

Problem was, this rebellion amounted to absolutely nothing. No truth was discovered. They ultimately ended up the same as the baby-boomers, just a bit more sad about it.

chironex

Oct 27, 2017
Gen X made some grand claim as this irony-laced counter-cultural rebellion against consumerism and the structures their parents adhered to.

Problem was, this rebellion amounted to absolutely nothing. No truth was discovered. They ultimately ended up the same as the baby-boomers, just a bit more sad about it.

Ironic, don't you think?

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
"but there seems to be a lack of criticism for GenX" lol, great frame.

yeah go get those dirty Gen-X'rs. After the boomers are all dead we'll still need someone to blame because shit will definitely not be fixed by then.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If a larger proportion of Millennials voted, couldn't they "solve" all of these problems? Is it just easier to blame Boomers and Gen X, then?

fake edit: according to this, Millennials and Gen Z could wreck Boomers. Get on it.
www.pewsocialtrends.org

An early look at the 2020 electorate

The 2020 U.S. presidential election is rapidly coming into view – and so is the electorate that will determine its outcome. While demographic changes

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
At some point or another, I recall reading that Gen X is also the least racist off the gens. I remember thinking after I read that how odd it would be for their kids to then become more racist. Like how does racism take a step backward form gen to gen? I thought it would have moved forward. Like, a new bar raised and all that.

Anyway, GenXers are pretty fucking cool in my book.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
At some point or another, I recall reading that Gen X is also the least racist off the gens. I remember thinking after I read that how odd it would be for their kids to then become more racist. Like how does racism take a step backward form gen to gen? I thought it would have moved forward. Like, a new bar raised and all that.
We didn't have Youtube. We had to rely on finding damp racist pamphlets on waste ground.

ThLunarian

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Gen Xers are too tethered to the 20th century to really make an impact and differentiate themselves from the entrenched boomers. But it's also not their fault. It's up to millennials and Z-ers to really make a change. The best we can hope for from X-ers is that they ally with us

Oct 28, 2017
I think separating people by "generations" is incredibly stupid. This seems just another "divide et impera" strategy.

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018
I'm a young X-er. Sadly a lot of folks my age are turning more and more conservative as time goes by.

electricblue

Oct 27, 2017
I think separating people by "generations" is incredibly stupid. This seems just another "divide et impera" strategy.

There's only one division that actually means anything and it's the ultra wealthy vs. everyone else. Putting Bezos in the same bucket as the barista who made my coffee this morning is so stupid it makes my head hurt

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
Barack Obama is a late-Boomer. FYI.

Anyway, Gen X'ers gave me all the music I loved and that formed my tastes as a kid so I love them for that. Otherwise, I must admit, I don't think about them much. I don't think they are really holding the levers of government in any great number because of the fact that Boomers are continuing to hold on for much longer than they should. Look at the pres candidates and the current president. They never ceded power to Gen X. It's like how the Royal Family is all getting old while Elizabeth keeps on trucking except in the US they still hold sway over policy.

Oct 27, 2017
Gen X has never been able to affect much and this led to the general malaise of the generation. We're fucked along with you millennials and whatever the next group is. We support you. We're just overly cynical because we got screwed hard and recognized we couldn't do much about it.