• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gaf Zombie

The Fallen
Dec 13, 2017
As entertaining as ERA can be, I sometimes take a break to read other things like The Economist, which is the only magazine or newspaper that I subscribe to. That said, I've been getting a wandering eye after reading some great articles in The Atlantic and NYT. I wouldn't mind adding another subscription into the mix if the quality is consistent.

What does ERA subscribe to and why? BBC any good? What about the failing New York Times?

I remember as a child when my new Game Informer came in the mail and I literally just smelled that new paper/toxic chemical smell before gleefully opening up to read the letters from other gamers.

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYT and WaPo are the only outlets I subscribe to. As much as people on Era and elsewhere like to give the opinion sections of both publications shit and call for people to "cancel" them, the majority of their reporting is balanced and well researched.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
Motortrend
Autoblog
Popular Photography
Sound & Vision
National Geographic
Game Informer
Wall Street Journal

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
Private Eye (a British satirical magazine). It doesn't really put stuff online apart from the occasional special report, and they do some fantastic investigative journalism that I'm happy to support. Plus it's hilarious.

CatSoul

Nov 7, 2018
Haven't subscribed to a magazine since Nintendo Power. Have issues of OtakuUSA, Wired, and some literary/poetry magazines the library was going to throw out and gave me for free lying around.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
Just The New Yorker*.

I've also tried to keep up with The Economist off and on but holy s**t are their subscription rates expensive.

* Besides being a great mag, their white-hot hatred of Trump is a beautiful thing. Their anti-Trump magazine covers, seemingly every other week, are glorious.

Also got a NYT subscription, but that's online only so I don't get any physical copies.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
As entertaining as ERA can be, I sometimes take a break to read other things like The Economist, which is the only magazine or newspaper that I subscribe to. That said, I've been getting a wandering eye after reading some great articles in The Atlantic and NYT. I wouldn't mind adding another subscription into the mix if the quality is consistent.

What does ERA subscribe to and why? BBC any good? What about the failing New York Times?

I remember as a child when my new Game Informer came in the mail and I literally just smelled that new paper/toxic chemical smell before gleefully opening up to read the letters from other gamers.

National Geographic
The Athletic
My local paper, The News Tribune.

Oct 27, 2017
None. The last ones I subscribed to were National Geographic and Reader's Digest but I let both of those run out about three years ago.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
I have a Washington Post digital subscription (discounted with Prime). Will pick up a copy of The New Yorker or The Atlantic or PC Gamer now and then.

smisk

Oct 27, 2017
Washington Post and The New Yorker. The Post is my main news source, and the New Yorker has amazing long form pieces, though I don't have time to read them as often as I'd like.

Oct 27, 2017
Used to have free or discounted subs to GQ, Wired, and TIME in the late 2000s. Nothing since. I do have a digital subscription to the local paper but I work there.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
For the articles I'm sure.

Roughly what % of those magazines are you able to read? Do you have a public transit or no commute that gives you more reading time?

I don't read any of them cover to cover. But there's usually at least ~2 articles in any of them that I flip through each month. Unfortunately, true long-form editorials and investigative pieces has almost completely disappeared in print journalism over the last decade (or more). I painfully miss learning the intricacies of a story facing a people or industry or company - but the only place I can seemingly find that is now in Netflix documentaries or full-blown books.

To answer your question, though, I can extract most of what I'm interested in from a magazine (a particular review or preview, maybe an editorial or two) in ~30 minutes or an hour. So that's only an hour and half of reading per week, max.

WSJ I just subscribe to so I have access to online news articles.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Just Private Eye
(UK fortnightly magazine, a mix of satire and investigative journalism)

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
ImagineFX (digital art and illustration)
Communication Arts (graphic design, marketing)

Unspoken90

Oct 28, 2017
None, but I've recently started getting issues of Motortrend delivered to my house under my name. I haven't been charged, but I'm concerned.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
Game Informer (gamestop pro membership benefit)
Smithsonian (my favorite toilet mag)
National Geographic
The Week (wife loves it, i think its not worth it but it does summarize the week)

don't pay for anything online reading or podcast wise, if its behind a paywall i ain't reading it

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
None. When I was a teenager I had all kinds of free subscriptions to OPM, PSM, EGM, Stuff, and Maxim from filling out online surveys and shit.

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
Just two:

Washington Post
The Economist

If Ars Technica ever erected a modest paywall, I'd consider that too.

choog

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
news:
The Seattle Times (print! and online)
The Washington Post (online)
The New York Times (online)
The Guardian (online)
Wired (online)

I believe in journalism and am willing to pay for it.

entertainment:
Edge (digital)