• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

fireflame

Oct 27, 2017
For some reason, rhe moment where Don Mattrick introduced Xbox One left a print in my mind.Perhaps because for some reason, it seems tha the way the console was shown, It was less about video games than aboutsomething else, like sports and TV.

I felt in some way, the first times of Xbox One introduction felt comedical in some sort of bizarre way, because it felt like the strategy topromote Xbox was self damaging and out of touch in some sort of bizarre way.

For several months I believed the console would explode while flying, until many things were changed. Nowdays Xbox One isn't doing too bad, but I remember, the introduction felt so weird.

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
Xbox has rebounded as well as it could have from 2013.

Dont know why we need to bring this up, but hey, Scarlett looks to further steer the ship right.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
If I have to summarize the whole Xbox One reveal in one word I would go with trainwreck. I remember being super hyped about the new Xbox as I have had a great time with my 360 and then Don Mattrick appeared on stage and the rest is history.

Arthoneceron

Oct 27, 2017
Minas Gerais, Brazil
Honesty? I wasn't sure.

I was like "why this guy isn't talking about what kind of games he's pretending to bring to the game, instead of talking what kind of services he's petending to unify over the Xbox label?"

Then in the end I thought that was "dead on arrival".

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
I remember the interview where he said if you don't have internet you can buy a 360. The thing that felt the most odd about the reveal is that they didn't really talk about the benefits of being an always online console. The idea of being able to share my license of a game to a friend sounded awesome. If they were better at selling, I think they could have kept the idea. It would have made their console unique.

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
I remember it reminding me a lot of Nintendo's E3 showing right before they launched the Wii U. I had a very similar "Who is this console even for?" reaction, followed shortly by "this isn't for me."

Sony had really knocked it out of the park a few months earlier with their PS4 reveal, and I was dumbfounded at how out-of-touch the XBO reveal came across.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It just reminds me of this picture used a lot after the deserved backlash.
mattrick.jpg

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
Terrible memories. Xbox consoles were my favorite systems until the Mattrick years, which continually kept doing everything they could to push me away from the brand. The reveal was no different. All I remember is "introducing Xbox One tv tv tv sports sports caller duty" and then some time later the DRM announcement. And from there: Good riddance to everything Xbox related.

It's taken years for the current leadership to build trust and turn things around from the damage inflicted in the Mattrick years.

Last edited:

Deleted member 29857

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I always believed his pitch for an entertainment focused Xbox was to impress Steve Ballmer, so he could get a different and higher position at Microsoft. It felt more like a prestige project than a gaming console.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Game Pass and a slew of outstanding first party games made me forgive and forget. It's all suppressed. Apart from the Xbox 360 being Microsoft's product for those without the internet. Man, that was so bad.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
I remember it being a complete mess, with Microsoft aiming to be the one entertainment box for the living room first, game console second. And the complete failure that was their TV studio.

And the online check in that they had to complete scrap and make a super hot firmware update in time for the console's launch.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
My memory is of them saying that games would be mostly left for E3, which was just days later, while the reveal event would be more of a high concept introduction. That was at least a week before the event, on Twitter, and I believe Xbox Wire. Therefore, when Mehdi, Mattrick, and others introduced the console, I was prepared.

I was very excited about the potential of the new Kinect (which was then squandered), and some of the original shows announced by the newly formed Xbox Entertainment Studios (which was then shut down). I couldn't care less about the ESPN sports segment which bored me to death.

The cavalcade of games revealed at E3 2013 was truly something to behold, although the line-up was lacking in indies, something that I thought they would have nailed.

Starfire22

Banned
May 5, 2018
Oklahoma
The always on DRM and not being able to (at that time) trade games and play used games rubbed me the wrong way.

I will never forget the Sony response to this.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
It's hard to isolate Mattrick specifically from my memory of that couple of months overall - just an insane few months. I don't think we'll ever see anything like it again.

calibos

Dec 13, 2017
Not good.

Is it healthy to have a bucket thread for hate and negativity these days? Just kinda tired I guess.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
The always on DRM and not being able to (at that time) trade games and play used games rubbed me the wrong way.

I will never forget the Sony response to this.

And the best part. None of that shit was available on sony's end either. Because both had opted into doing this, but sony cut out the entire thing from their system, and presentation after Xbox's Conference

Starfire22

Banned
May 5, 2018
Oklahoma
And the best part. None of that shit was available on sony's end either. Because both had opted into doing this, but sony cut out the entire thing from their system, and presentation after Xbox's Conference

I know. That's what made the whole ordeal better. (Although I didn't know that at the time yet)

Imagine if Sony started first in presenting their console.

Booker Do It

Sep 25, 2018
I remember him turning me off Xbox and pre-ordering PS4 instead.
Didn't get an Xbox until 2 years ago, and now I play it more than PS because of Game Pass.
If MS continue their good work and not shit the bed I will be there on launch day next gen.