• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
Because all of that was rectified before launch and the ps4's lineup for the first 2-3 years was abysmal.People forget that while microsoft was putting out games like quantum break and sunset overdrive and doing amazing things with KI support, sony was trying to convince everyone that the order was worth 60 dollars, and that the free copy of drive club that they promised for launch would arrive any day now, and totally not be a fraction of the game they promised. It got so bad andrew house apologized to the shareholders.
lol that's some fine revisionist history you've got there. Microsoft's exclusive lineup was just as bad as Sony's (I'd argue significantly worse, since Sony had some incredible games like Bloodborne and Helldivers), it was nothing to write home about at all. And you do realise Quantum Break came out a month before Uncharted 4, right?

Anyway, on topic. I remember the unveil where they put all the multimedia bullshit front and centre and ended it with some pretty rubbish game demos. The rumours were the elephant in the room but they completely avoided them up until Phil Harrison accidentally let it out during an interview and then the internet exploded. It was mindblowing at the time, such incredible arrogance just because they beat Sony and Nintendo in the US.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Because all of that was rectified before launch and the ps4's lineup for the first 2-3 years was abysmal.People forget that while microsoft was putting out games like quantum break and sunset overdrive and doing amazing things with KI support, sony was trying to convince everyone that the order was worth 60 dollars, and that the free copy of drive club that they promised for launch would arrive any day now, and totally not be a fraction of the game they promised. It got so bad andrew house apologized to the shareholders.

Revisionist history much? Quantum Break came out the same time Uncharted 4 did, and we all know how both fared critically and in terms of sales. Whilst it is true the PS4's launch line up was fairly lacklustre, so too was the Xbox One's.

Around the time you're talking (up to 2016), the PS4 exclusives wise had titles like Uncharted 4, Bloodborne, InFamous Second Son, The Last of Us Remastered, Driveclub, Killzone Shadow Fall, The Witness (timed), Final Fantasy XIV, Ratchet and Clank, The Last Guardian, Helldivers, Street Fighter V and more, so it wasn't the complete disaster you make out. Infact, the PS4 arguably had a stronger exclusives line up than the Xbox One, especially if we go by critical reception.

GillianSeed79

Oct 27, 2017
I just remember it being like the biggest WTF ever for a console reveal. I was a 360 fan and I knew right then and there that Microsoft had ceded the generation to Sony. It was one of those how could you be so stupid moments. They've only just recently started to get their credibility back. The whole thing was an utter fiasco.

Grifter

Oct 26, 2017
I've never seen the TV integration in real-life use and just assumed that all got brushed away during course-correction.

Orbit

Banned
Nov 21, 2018
Like you said in OP, I will always remember the "Don't like it always online? The 360 is a good alternative". I mean really?!?!?! That was the instant I knew I was going PS4. This idiot still has a job high up in a corporate somewhere.

mas8705

Oct 27, 2017
The only memory I can recall is the one where he basically kneecapped Microsoft by saying something along the lines of, "We have a system for those who don't want to get the Xbox One (or don't have constant internet access), and that's the Xbox 360."

Hell knows that it is thanks to Phil that Microsoft was able to make some kind of recovery, but Don basically gave the PS4 the entire generation before it even started by being a fool with DRM and thinking that the Kinect was going to be "The future of gaming."

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Don Mattrick: Voice of the generation. This gen's meme generator. Love that guy. The forum will be a lot less fun without his quotes and gif.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
It was so bizarre. The PS4 had already been revealed with much positivity, so I was sure Microsoft would carefully counter them. They had a few months to prepare and then.... Confusion. I was perplexed but how little they offered.

Vormund

Oct 27, 2017
I invited a couple of friends over for the reveal. I just sat there thinking wtf is this shit? Where are the games? At the end we just sat there with nothing to say.

At that point I switched over to PS4 being my main platform. I did eventually go back to Xbox around the time BC was announced.

I was also stunned at the focus on Cable, since even back then it was apparent to me that video streaming was where it was at. If they built a great gaming machine as a first priority it would be able to handle streaming apps no problem.

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
Aside from maybe the GPU, if you built a good one you may be able to make it all the way through. Interest in gaming I find comes and goes. You may get back into it more down the road. If not, well at least you had fun, right?

I hope, but I have some issues in my personal life that is killing a lot of my interests. Reading, doing martial arts, video games, etc. I just built a computer with an i7-8700K CPU and 2080 GPU. Hope it will last me some years.

Psyrgery

Nov 7, 2017
Tv tv tv tv tv sports sports tv
HDMI IN
Shit console launch by country tiers
Always online DRM
No sharing
Pos kinect
Pos gimped hardware because of pos esram because We need 8gb ram at any cost!
Vcr

Gtfo to zynga

Deleted member 14663

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Don Mattrick also ran Zynga into the ground right after. Not without pocketing around 18 million dollars for leaving though. I wonder what company/brand he is destroying right now.

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
And the best part. None of that shit was available on sony's end either. Because both had opted into doing this, but sony cut out the entire thing from their system, and presentation after Xbox's Conference

Do we know this for a fact?

The only rumour I had heard was that Sony was going to pack in the camera originally, but cut it at the last minute.

Although the camera did make its way into the Killzone launch day bundle (which is what I bought)

sora bora

Oct 27, 2017
2486881-5294281052-TAPuw.gif

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Don Mattrick and Terry Myersons were the worst 1/2 combo in gaming history. As awful as Mattrick was for vision and communication, it Terry Myerson who wanted Xbox to go away and starved the brand from recovery intentionally. Mattrick put Xbox in the emergency room. Myerson went in the emergency room and tried to finish the job by choking it out.

2008 to late 2017. That's the Mattrick/Myerson combo. Step back and look at the start of the decline and near death of the brand. Not a coincidence.

The Xbox One reveal by Mattrick in 2013 wasn't the start or end of anything. It was the eye of the storm. Fortunately the storm passed when Myerson left only recently.

Parcas

Dec 12, 2017
It was really bad, I remember as a European half of the presentation was irrelevant, there was so few game content and the always online stuff made no sense as they did not show any benefit from it.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
I mean E3 2011 and 2013 where he put the XBOX brand in the IR and Sony just took back the crown like it was nothing.

He almost killed MS, got a package, jumped to Zynga, killed it, got a fat package.

Meanwhile, Phil Harrison is saving the XBONE and prepping Scarlett to not be another XBONE reveal.

JkQm.gif

品川駅

Banned
Aug 15, 2019
Tokyo, Japan
Sadly my man Don killed the console and a big part of the brand that day, it hasn't recovered since then and probably will take a while to.

But well, with a new generation hopefully we will start in a blank state and my man Phil is doing good work there. Let's hope the next Xbox Vs the PS5 have a equal userbase!

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
I remember a massive over reaction on the internet.

I'm not what you would call a hardcore gamer, and I'm one of the few people that loved Kinect. I also didn't mind the changes to DRM ( I have a 100% digital library) yet talking about how excited I was for the console was met with abuse.

I had to stay off the internet that week.

Deleted member 1698

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
2392334-7043571517-il6Wx.gif

pretty much just this and finding out he wasn't the dad from Full House.

other than that xbox made it clear I was not their customer, so I more or less ignored him.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
The idea of being able to share my license of a game to a friend sounded awesome. If they were better at selling, I think they could have kept the idea. It would have made their console unique.
This got clouded by the always online talk, and I got a taste of the always online thing on the 360, and it did not taste good. After a RROD repair I received a new/refurbished 360, and it wasn't connected to the digital games I had bought. I had to be online to play the games, which at the time was difficult because I had just moved and didn't have internet.This was before you could transfer the licenses yourself, eventually I had to write down all my games (about 100 XBLA titles) and call the support and get them transfered to the new console one by one.

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
It serves as another reminder that multi billion $ companies can be completely out of touch with the realities of the market.

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
This got clouded by the always online talk, and I got a taste of the always online thing on the 360, and it did not taste good. After a RROD repair I received a new/refurbished 360, and it wasn't connected to the digital games I had bought. I had to be online to play the games, which at the time was difficult because I had just moved and didn't have internet.This was before you could transfer the licenses yourself, eventually I had to write down all my games (about 100 XBLA titles) and call the support and get them transfered to the new console one by one.

Right, but initially didn't they say it only had to do an online check every 7 days? If it was every 5 minutes that's a different story, but if you only had to connect to the internet AT LEAST ONCE in 7 days, that would work for most people.

Deleted member 59562

Banned
Aug 28, 2019
China
I remember thinking that if they could have put it in a box offered by cable providers it would've been a surefire hit. I was surprised at the outrage on the Internet over having to use the Internet on a game console whose reason for being was using the Internet.
The craziest thing was, the dystopic vision of publisher control, of physical games being license checks on what amounted to a digital copy where half the fun was tied to if you had an Internet connection, that came to pass. Most games released this gen had extensive patches on day 1 to add multiplayer, graphics settings, or essential bugfixes, you need the internet to play single player games at this point.

I couldn't imagine a person who was in the market for a 500 dollar console who didn't have internet, and I was optimistic about Kinect, mostly because I'd never used one. I was excited about the controller, since it looked comfortable and pretty much like a refinement of what worked before. I always was surprised at how badly they messaged it.

Honestly the name was, if anything, dumber and less marketable than Wii U, which could have been marketed well, if the kooky meth addicts who did Nintendo's marketing then had the good stuff.

They fumbled selling people on:
A) a continuation of what was selling already. Being marginally less powerful than the PlayStation 3 didn't stop the 360 and the kinect was selling like crazy
B) that did the things people did the most with the 360 (boring ass games and TV)
C) using Xbox live, a service so integral to the console that its name implies that it is the living breath within the fancy plastic box

Microsoft has the worst marketing team and the most tasteless, uncharismatic executives in the industry, which is really an accomplishment in its own right, is my ultimate takeaway from the Xbone reveal

Oct 28, 2017
I also remember when pre orders for both went live, PS4 was killing Xbox one. It wasn't long after that Microsoft backpedaled on pretty much everything from the original reveal.

dv3nEl0bHJtU4oPYjIM3he09HBVknRwFqhDk6NtegEMXTjlTgfNzr_zCp6wEucEl2XMnHtcG7Sin0e_Zr0tgn69da3Mw8yNVHf8-sTr1IerGtdiGk33BdLUbITSu1Ni4knmGYdl55xlgc2MV=w1200-h630-p-k-no-nu

Jaxar

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I thought it was all really fascinating, how such a large company could get it so wrong. The amount of goodwill they burnt through in such a short amount of time from the successful 360 era was mind boggling. The entire thing (not just from Mattrick either) felt rushed, as MS execs were all giving different answers to the press on some of the big questions, or simply leaving it as 'we'll have more to share later', which didn't help things.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Right, but initially didn't they say it only had to do an online check every 7 days? If it was every 5 minutes that's a different story, but if you only had to connect to the internet AT LEAST ONCE in 7 days, that would work for most people.
If it's just a quick ping, then absolutely, unless you actually don't have internet for whatever reason. Today I think it would work better, but at the time it wasn't a good idea to sell the system imo. The used games scenario was big as well, and Sony obviously took advantage of that in their PS4 PR.