• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Matemático

Banned
Mar 22, 2019
Brazil
Xbox One X is the real vision of Microsoft now: focused on games, powerfull, compact, slick, fast, fair value, amazing services like GamePass.

They could do even better: there is no need for HDMI In, 3 USB Ports or IR Blaster, or force you to have Mixer installed. Drop these things and they could make the system even smaller and cheaper.

Yazuka

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
I just remember thinking they are doing everything in their might to not make me the least bit interested in an Xbox.
And surely he succeeded for many years.
So really bad memories of Don, can't stand the guy. Never could.

lynux3

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's not Don Mattrick, but the only one that comes to mind is, "Xbox is about to become the next water cooler." lol

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
America.

Don and his boys basically made a box that was entirely centered around america. Even if I cared for any of the non game stuff offered by the xb1, i couldnt use it anyway. IT wasnt even officially avaialble where i live for like half a year after the launch. And I live in an EU country, so not exactly at the edge of the world.

What's funnier is that I actually did buy an XB1 day one as a local game store got a few units imported, and I did end up playing my xb1 more than my ps4 in the first few months as I thought that the xb1 had a better launch line up.

Also.. even in 2013 it seemed weird to me that they focused os much on broadcast tv when it was becoming clear that digital platforms are going to be a huge thing. Just really weird.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
I just want to forget. They say that history shouldn't be forgotten so it isn't repeated but I think only Don Mattrick could have created such a disaster.

Augemitbutter

Oct 25, 2017
2486881-5294281052-TAPuw.gif

this line here.

and the fucking gifs. My god, there were so many great gifs on gaf then and they were all on point.

Brokenrobot

Jul 12, 2018
Ahhh the Ol' Mattrick hat trick of 2013 I remember it like it was yesterday. The 360 was at the top of heap and everyone was curious to see what Microsoft had been working on all this time. Then they wheel the thing out and start babbling about fantasy football marketing it like it's going to be some weird cable box replacement. In my country (Australia) the only people who have cable are boomers who's children don't speak to them so it basically killed any appeal for me minute one. They have managed to turn things around now with game pass and whatnot. It's pretty crazy that Sony and Microsoft had inverse console cycles this time round.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
Don Mattrick and the entire Xbox One reveal will never make sense to me.

Also, since the other gif was already posted and quoted several times. Here's an other classic:

i97p4bk7nduq9.gif

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I remember a guy single-handedly killing of a massive brand via absolutely daft business decisions and interviews.

Booya_base

Oct 31, 2017
Jersey
I remember feeling like 10 foot tall letters spelling out TV we're flying towards me at 100mph and crashed into my face. At the end I just laughed as it was worse than I could've ever imagined.

DoktorAkcel

Aug 30, 2019
Do we know this for a fact?

The only rumour I had heard was that Sony was going to pack in the camera originally, but cut it at the last minute.

Although the camera did make its way into the Killzone launch day bundle (which is what I bought)
No concrete proof, but the fact that Sony insisted on lightbulb in Dualshock 4, had a price chart in E3 presentation that looked a bit out of place (like it was changed at the last second), and actually submitted a patent for similar DRM system... all of those pile up, and might mean nothing, but at the same time they're suspicious.

Last edited:

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
My main memory is turning to my sister seconds before the name reveal and saying "How stupid would it be if they ended up calling it 'The Xbox One' or something?"

IvanSlavkov

Oct 27, 2017
Bulgaria
And the best part. None of that shit was available on sony's end either. Because both had opted into doing this, but sony cut out the entire thing from their system, and presentation after Xbox's Conference

Any proof for that buddy? Or is it just tales from your...?

On topic, the always online, 24 hour check in is what made me laugh the most and convinced me to take a huge pass wit xbox1. I remember, me and a friend of mine were watching the conference and we both said - "no way they are fu*kin the new xbox this way".

pepone1234

Feb 19, 2018
I remember a very US centric presentation with that whole TV and sports experience. Then they show a console massive in size and with hilarious restrictions with things like the always online to control the second hand market.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
No, Sony never even planned on always online, it's just what everybody assumed they would after xbox did it.

Thank you.

I keep saying its one of 2 things: either Sony are better software, firmware, OS developers to be able to get rid of it and not feel the after effects unlike early XBO or they never planned it at all.

Take your pick which narrative you want to roll with. Or their online only was going to be so incompetent getting rid of it left no lasting effects, lol.
What's darkly amusing is that everyone also remembers the 'always online' focus from this and subsequently praised Sony.

It was a smart move sure, but this gen saw the real push of pretty much mandatory, regular and huge patches - not to mention some physical discs just being a gateway to a download.

Sure you can in theory use your PS4 offline whenever you want, but in practice if you want Day 1 patches et al, you're pretty fucked. It was such an unforced error by MS to push this when I imagine a high percentage of their (and Sony's) user base are always online by choice anyway

I don't remember praise for Sony from everyone. I remember the NoDRM hash tag for the PS4.

I do agree it was an unforced error. Many of us said they should have left that to the game devs, like what's happened this gen with alot more online only games.

Or just expand on how XBL, PSN games did licenses.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
I mean E3 2011 and 2013 where he put the XBOX brand in the IR and Sony just took back the crown like it was nothing.

He almost killed MS, got a package, jumped to Zynga, killed it, got a fat package.

Meanwhile, Phil Harrison is saving the XBONE and prepping Scarlett to not be another XBONE reveal.

JkQm.gif

So you're telling me the head of Google's Stadia service is going to save the Xbox? If that's the savior, 2013 is going to look like the second coming of the iPhone in comparison.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
No concrete proof, but the fact that Sony insisted on lightbulb in Dualshock 4, had a price chart in E3 presentation that looked a bit out of place (like it was changed at the last second), and actually submitted a patent for similar DRM system... all of those pile up, and might mean nothing, but at the same time they're suspicious.

IIRC, that patent application predated the PS3. It had even be discussed (with concern) prior to the PS3's launch also, but nothing ever came of it.

Dewin

Oct 26, 2017
Clear and utter disbelief. That show ended and i was like "Wait. Thats it? That can't be it. Where are the games? How? Everything is TV? oh god." And the i started up Gaf and holy shit was that a rollercoaster-ride. One that went on for months and months.

JCHandsom

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
I was out working in my backyard, streaming it on my phone, growing increasingly confused over the lack of big games and emphasizing TV projects and Sports. When they finally did show stuff from Ghosts and focused on the fact that it had a dog in it as a selling point and the AI of the fish is when I knew I was witnessing meme history.

Still waiting on that Halo TV show Spielberg

Shake Appeal

Oct 27, 2017
I appreciate Don Mattrick and the Xbox One launch because it made me quit consoles and get back into PC gaming.

I will forever be indebted to you, Don.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
"Well, fuck you too"

As a European Xbox fan it was an awful kick in the teeth.

After getting og and 360 on their respective launch days I still don't own a One. Thanks Don.

joesiv

Banned
Feb 9, 2018
I think the interesting thing about the Xbox One launch is how there was such negativity against the Kinect being bundled with every console. On the positive side it meant developers could trust that it's there, not a peripheral, so they could develope for it.

But on the otherside, people were concerned about the price, and privacy. Given that recently it's become known that Microsoft has humans reviewing Cortana audio clips, perhaps the privacy worry was warranted...

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
That asshole left Microsoft with a golden parachute just to be another useless fixture at a dying company. Fuck him.

ps3ud0

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And the best part. None of that shit was available on sony's end either. Because both had opted into doing this, but sony cut out the entire thing from their system, and presentation after Xbox's Conference
Pretty sure that's all made up - unless you really believe Sony are far more competent in untying their OS from such a requirement than someone like MS which still had DRM leftover as part of the initial setup when you got the XO.

ps3ud0 8)

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
I mainly remember being mad as hell at him and his team for trying to kill video game preservation and giving the finger to all collectors. I am very glad they did get the backlash they deserved and this guy is far from Microsoft now.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just remember "Xbox is the new watercooler".

A statement clearly made by people so out of touch with their market that they thought it acceptable.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
I mainly remember being mad as hell at him and his team for trying to kill video game preservation and giving the finger to all collectors. I am very glad they did get the backlash they deserved and this guy is far from Microsoft now.

Just imagine if they'd won and all our Xbox games were just waiting for the day they flipped the switch on the server, after which they'd stop working. I don't think there'll ever be a day, I won't hold their attempt to do that to our shared history against them.