• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

jdmc13

Mar 14, 2019
I remember not being able to figure out who they were trying to appeal to with the cable TV integration.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
What's darkly amusing is that everyone also remembers the 'always online' focus from this and subsequently praised Sony.

It was a smart move sure, but this gen saw the real push of pretty much mandatory, regular and huge patches - not to mention some physical discs just being a gateway to a download.

Sure you can in theory use your PS4 offline whenever you want, but in practice if you want Day 1 patches et al, you're pretty fucked. It was such an unforced error by MS to push this when I imagine a high percentage of their (and Sony's) user base are always online by choice anyway

The 'always online' requirement was in service of the DRM for control of the secondary market - something that would on its own have caused a ruckus, irrespective of how 'online' people already were or not. The DRM aspect with regard to used games was the real core of the backlash.

Although the always online component did, in and of itself, cause complaints, they may have actually gotten away with that requirement over time, had it simply existed on its own... it's why it existed that was the real problem.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
They were handing out crazy pills around the MS water cooler at that time. Also the water cooler was an Xbox One.

Kingdizzi

Banned
Aug 11, 2019
Whole Xbox One reveal was awful, but the one time I just remember being confused as fuck was when someone said it was gonna be the next watercooler. Not a fucking clue what they were thinking all in all.

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
The 'always online' requirement was in service of the DRM for control of the secondary market - something that would on its own have caused a ruckus, irrespective of how 'online' people already were or not. The DRM aspect with regard to used games was the real core of the backlash.

Absolutely. Fully appreciate this and the difference, and it was one of the things that persuaded me to go from 360 > PS4

Its just in theory, the 'always online' user base isn't too far off these days. They just waved a red flag at a bull wording wise and went about it way too aggressively

Shock32

Oct 27, 2017
I think this was the COD fish A.I. presentation, that always stuck out to me because I laughed pretty hard at the time. Then Sony took over COD after.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
For some reason, rhe moment where Don Mattrick introduced Xbox One left a print in my mind.Perhaps because for some reason, it seems tha the way the console was shown, It was less about video games than aboutsomething else, like sports and TV.

I felt in some way, the first times of Xbox One introduction felt comedical in some sort of bizarre way, because it felt like the strategy topromote Xbox was self damaging and out of touch in some sort of bizarre way.

For several months I believed the console would explode while flying, until many things were changed. Nowdays Xbox One isn't doing too bad, but I remember, the introduction felt so weird.

Geoff "so that's your message, stick with the 360?"

Dunking on Mattick for that E3 will never get old.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
I just remember thinking 'well that console is not for me' and it wasn't. I did buy a One S eventually to play some RDR Backward Compatibility and dabble with some other old games but it's been collecting dust since I got it. It was TV and Sports and Kinect and DRM checks and I was out. Shame as I enjoyed my 360 back in the day. The whole Xbox One has left such a taste in my mouth they have some ground to cover for me to care about their next-gen machine. Doesn't help that I have played all the Gears, Halo, Fable and Forza in previous gens that I could ever want. Hopefully, they have some really good new games coming.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
TV something-something TV something sports something sports TV something.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was the main reason why I waited over a year to even consider getting an Xbox One.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Absolutely. Fully appreciate this and the difference, and it was one of the things that persuaded me to go from 360 > PS4

Its just in theory, the 'always online' user base isn't too far off these days. They just waved a red flag at a bull wording wise and went about it way too aggressively

People are even more able to accommodate being 'always online' now than then - but even now, I think, you have to have a good reason for it to be mandatory. There was no reason for it to be mandatory then other than the DRM and their plans to leverage that wrt the secondary market. Today I think you'd have the same question - why - and if the only answer for why it's a necessity, rather than an option for optional benefits or features, is something like DRM, you'd have the same blowback today, easily.

I say all that to say, there's no contradiction or nothing 'strange' about people being resistant to what MS was offering, while going on to embrace 'always online' products. People are happy for their devices to be always online, when available, where it brings net benefits. People aren't happy to be forced to have a device always online in order to enable new restrictions on content use, and that would make the device a brick without a connection. There's no incongruity there in people's response or behaviour... there isn't a case here of people saying one thing while doing another, for example. I think it's only telling half the story to refer to Microsoft's 'always online' plans - it was 'mandatorily-always-only-so-we-can-control-your-content-use-and-resale' plans, which makes better sense of where the problem really lay.

Last edited:

sjackso3

Oct 30, 2017
Houston
User Warned - Thread Whining
What is the point of this post? I am asking seriously. It was a cluster, everyone knows that.
Why rehash it?

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
at first i was like "oh okay whatever". i bought into the narrative on "the future" of physical/DRM, and i thought Kinect was still going to be a thing.

wasn't until the sony mic drop i'd realized what had happened

Oct 27, 2017
TV! American sports! It felt very US centric and the more features that were revealed the worse it got.

I remember the bizarre Eurogamer articles extolling the virtues of balance.

Honestly, it still baffles me that people watched the shit show of a reveal, all the crap about bad specs, the awe inspiringly bad always online, no second hand market, Kinect Kinect, TV TV bullshit and went "Yep! That's the console for me!" And plonked down ÂŁ400.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
What a wild time to be alive. I've never seen a major gaming announcement so ubiquitously rejected by the community. I don't know if we'll ever see anything like it again.

Feb 10, 2018
A very dark time, like when professor X talks about the future in xmen days of future past, but put mattricks head on the sentinels.

Feb 10, 2018
I remember all the hyperbole about x1 being underpowered and then seeing ryse and stuff and was pretty blown away by the visuals, it was as impressive as anything the ps4 had.

But also felt a lot of this:

giphy.webp

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
I guess I was one of the few that liked what they were going for. It was certainly a confusing message though.

I didn't mind the online check in for the ability to turn physical games into digital and sharing licenses across devices. Still don't tbh. I have my main xbox set to online only and I share my games with a family member across the country. My internet rarely goes out so I never encounter many issues, but I can certainly understand the argument against it.

And i think the original plan was to share with like 10 other accounts if I recall? That would have been nice. Still hoping for a physical disc to digital program like was rumored a year or so ago. More price competition for console digital games would be nice.

Also probably one of the main reason I bought the xbox was tbh the kinect. Being able to speak to my tv or move my hands and make it scroll was a neat prospect. The Kinect mic wasn't that great of course and has since been replaced by using internet connected devices like an echo, which have much better mics, but I still miss the gestures, which were neat when they worked correctly. And That exercise Kinect game was probably the game that put me over the top.

The Snap Application function was another big feature that drew me to the platform. I wanted the ability to watch a mlb game and play a video game on the same screen. Sadly that feature hasn't been replaced. Maybe the next console will have a PiP feature otherwise I'll look for that feature when I buy a new TV. Most TVs I have seen don't have PiP over two hdmi sources or whatever.

Anyway, I knew both the PS4 would have similar games so I based my decision on the extra features. Although I did eventually get a PS4 for mlb the show, but I rarely use it nowadays, moved my baseball playing to OOTP Baseball on PC. Waiting for Sony to create a subscription service for their first party games though.

Also the knowledge that Microsoft would soon open their new application platform for cross development between windows and Xbox (and windows phone was still a thing too.) played a big part.

hydruxo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
I had a 360 last gen and I was fully prepared to go with Xbox again this gen. Then their trash fire of a reveal + Sony's great reveal made it easy for me to just get a PS4 instead.

Glad they turned the ship around though.

s3ltz3r

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Steve Ballmer's Microsoft was awful. Satya Nadella has been one of the best things to happen to MS.l, specially for Xbox.

Deleted member 10726

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ResetERA
I remember the Xbox One reveal to be really boring and terrible. Forza 5 and CoD Ghosts didn't look good and Xbox Go Home was the thing that stuck with me the most.

It's the worst console reveal I've experienced live and the comments that followed about BC being backwards and people who don't want an always-online console to just buy a 360 didn't help. I still ended up buying an Xbox One S way later, but that was when BC was a thing amongst other things. Great turnaround for Microsoft, but the initial impression was an absolute blunder.

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
Remember a few of us watching together thinking it reminded us of an old Videoway decoder.

LfitZ9.jpg

That thing was used to play games and watch TV too so we had fun with that comparison for a while.