• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Casualcore

Jul 25, 2018
Lots of guys on here. My sister dropped off the face of the Earth after having a kid. Her social life and gaming time were obliterated. He's ten now, and we manage to do some online gaming for one to three hours about once every two months. She dropped out of her weekly D&D games but in the last couple years manages a monthly Skype game.

Of course, she loves her child. Personally, I never bought into the social pressures for most role assignments, and rarely spent time around babies, so I never got hooked on those dopamine hits. No doubt many would say I'm missing out, my life is empty of meaning, I'm a wasted woman-child, etc. Many have said they feel bad for my barrenness. I feel bad for people who have never been in love like I have. Such is the human condition. We all see life through our own eyes.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Yes to this. I get that many here and elsewhere choose not to have kids. For all kinds of reasons and that's totally fine. But to be oblivious to the reasons why people have kids it amazing to me. Some people really seem to have checked out of society.

On the flip side, at least these questions are asked. There's a genuine interest there and I think lots of times the answers people give like "you can't understand until you have a kid", aren't helping at all. People have kids for countless reasons. We had ours because we've always liked kids and felt it was finally time. We waited along time, focusing on careers, among other things. But at almost 40 years old we figured it was time. Luckily we had a perfectly healthy girl. While everyone's experience is different, ours has been the best experience in our lives. I wouldn't trade these last five years with our daughter for anything as they've been the best in my entire life. My daughter gives fulfillment like nothing I've ever experienced. Kids instantly become the most important thing in your life.

Late parent like we were. I've noticed several folks who says they are in their mid-30s and bemoan the fact it is too late for them to have children. I had my first at 36 and my second at 41. Obviously there is a time when it stops being viable to have children, but 35 isn't it.

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Me and my partner can't freaking wait to have our first child. We're waiting until we've traveled the world in the coming years and have bought a house. Probably in 3-4 years.

Almost everything in this world is fleeting, inconsequential and short lived. What kind of work you did or how much money you earned means nothing when we're on our deathbeds. But your offspring are the ones that carry along the torch long after you're buried.

I personally can't wait to create, raise and shape tiny humans with the person I love most. We want to offer a loving family and strive to raise our children with proper guidance, good morals, total freedom of expression and core values of respect. I want to see them achieve things on their own, see them grow into well-adjusted and inspired human beings that hopefully will find love themselves.

I could not imagine a more worthy purpose, to be honest. But not everyone has to be like this. If you value your hobbies (read: consume media) above all else, don't get a kid. There endless people out there that are not ready to be dedicated parents and that's fine.

Deleted member 18179

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i was talking to a friend about this. I had a kid recently and my friend was like, "I never want kids because all I hear parents do is complain". And I think that's because it's so much easier to talk about what's hard than to try and explicate the colossal, existential joy that comes into your life. Admitting how much you love your kid would open a gap so vulnerable. It's hard to talk about except to say that's its the best thing I've ever done.

As to why we had a kid, we both felt like we'd lived a lot. We'd traveled and settled into careers and had friends and hobbies. And I wanted to share that with someone, to see my life through the prism of my child. To keep learning and growing with them.

Is it work? Oh hell yeah. But I can't imagine just.... living the same life I had 2 years ago, forever and ever.

That said, one is probably enough! I still want to have my time and my hobbies. And the financial aspect is significant.

And also, you may not want kids. That's fine! I think if you do you'll know and if you don't, don't! That's totally okay.

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
I always wanted my own family.

My son is 8 months old now. It's been a mix of stress and enjoyment. It's amazing watching him grow up. There's nothing like it.
There's nothing like seeing that toothless smile.

I want to teach him everything I can.

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
I get that kids can be cute sometimes, but that seems to be the only pro versus a long list of cons on having children. The 2 biggest negatives are definitely the huge financial burden (especially if you want to save to send your kid to college) and the significant inconveniences to your life (need to find a daycare if you work, can't spend time with friends/SO outside the house without a babysitter, can't spend time at home doing what you want because you need to take care of the kid).

I mean why is it worth it? Is it just the biological drive to reproduce? Parents of ERA, enlighten me.

So I had this conversation with my wife before we got married. You're not wrong about the downsides. Hell you can add a huge environmental burden to the list. Having a kid is ultimately a selfish decision, the kid never asked to be born after all. If you can accept all that there's loads of emotional upsides. Seeing the look on my daughter's face as she figured out how to beat a video game all by herself. Watching her interact with others and be "the good kid". Having someone to interact with and teach. It's all a huge emotional upside.

They aren't perfect and yeah they'll stress you out, but kids aren't the death of a social life. Really my wife and I set aside a couple days a week to be just Husband and Wife not Mom and Dad. We still hang out with friends, see movies, go out on dates, etc. Our kids are doing just fine.

I totally understand those who don't want kids reasoning. It's a ton of responsibility and a huge financial burden and if the upsides aren't enough for you then no one should try to convince you otherwise especially since most of those benefits aren't guaranteed. Keep enjoying life. We are.

Felt

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
OP: only considers materialistic values related to having children. Asks why people take on this financial burden on gaming forum. Checks out.

There are many reasons why people have children related to biology and the human condition. And while it is expensive, that is like the whole point of making money in society... Spending it.

a lot of folks are financially fine having kids and it doesn't ruin their social lives. y'all seem like the moment a kid pops out is the moment life ends. y'all been reading too many stories.

^This.

They're an obstacle to freedom period.

I grew up with several siblings younger than me (the closest age gap was 13 years), so I know exactly how demanding kids can be. Having children means that your life is no longer entirely yours - it revolves around taking care of somebody else. Add work to that mix and you'll have very little time for yourself. So it's not just gaming time that would be limited - everything is. Good luck traveling the world with kids. Good luck doing something on the weekend just for you.

No thanks. I probably work better hours than most here, and even I feel like I don't have enough personal time.

I have two children (3yr old and 1.5 yr old), and we've been to the US, England, Wales, Portugal, Singapore, Australia, Germany, and we'll be going to Japan later this year. I get to sleep in on the weekend (as does my husband on his turn), I get to have my personal time, my husband gyms 4x a week, I can go out any night if I want to (went to a comedy club this past Friday), I cook/eat whatever I fancy, etc. and I don't even have family to help me. This is all just us in a foreign country to boot. Kids require adjustment in your lives definitely, but you incorporate them, not end your own life. The limitations are only as tight as you make them.

Vapelord

Oct 27, 2017
Montreal
With what some of my friends pay for after school daycare etc... It would financially ruin me, full stop. Or I would have to recruit my parents in hopes they would watch them?

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
With what some of my friends pay for after school daycare etc... It would financially ruin me, full stop. Or I would have to recruit my parents in hopes they would watch them?

This is what most people do, I feel. Which is impossible for me as my wife and I both have elderly parents who couldn't cope with a regular childcare schedule

Luckily there are a lot of affordable after school clubs here. It's the childcare before they're old enough to start school that's financially ruinous. Only a couple hundred a month less than my wife earns.

Ryaaan14

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
You'll understand once you get older...

Pretty much this. I don't want to cast aspersions on ppl who don't wanna have kids cos that's a legitimate feeling. But for me personally I can't wait to grow little human beings and open up the world to them and let them experience all the good (and bad) things I've seen in my life, and to be a big part of it/help them succeed. That feeling just brings me joy.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
Because my wife and I wanted to share our lives with other people that we could help learn how the world is and works, take them on adventures and do things with them. I love how people think having children destroys your life or something, I mean if you aren't financially stable, then yeah don't have them. We are, and I still have time to play video games, we go on vacations, we still have nights out with our friends. Anyway the moment my first boy was born I was instantly more in love than with anything or anyone that came before him, I knew my life instantly had more meaning than it ever did in the past.

AcidCat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bellingham WA
Because you will never understand how awesome human beings are until you get a fresh, brand new one made between you and the person you love.

Avengers23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because
Slime_Square_Bustin_Makes_Me_Feel_Good_GB_T-Shirt.jpg

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Because you will never understand how awesome human beings are until you get a fresh, brand new one made between you and the person you love.
I like this, it's very true. You know how it seems like everyone is an idiot? That the world is a cynical hellhole? Your perspective changes allot when you're teaching a fresh human how to act. They have zero cynicism, no emotional baggage, nothing. A perfect clean slate that finds flowers and rain mind blowing. It's such a refreshing thing that really pressed reset on how I look at things.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
I get that kids can be cute sometimes, but that seems to be the only pro versus a long list of cons on having children. The 2 biggest negatives are definitely the huge financial burden (especially if you want to save to send your kid to college) and the significant inconveniences to your life (need to find a daycare if you work, can't spend time with friends/SO outside the house without a babysitter, can't spend time at home doing what you want because you need to take care of the kid).

I mean why is it worth it? Is it just the biological drive to reproduce? Parents of ERA, enlighten me.
If you have to ask, you aren't ready for children. You may never be. Nothing wrong with that.

The reasons why I have my children are running around me right now, and frankly money, inconvenience etc means nothing when it comes to how they make you feel.

You have to want them though. If you don't, then you don't. There should be no shame in wanting to live your life how you want, children or not.

Jie Li

Alt account
Banned
Dec 21, 2018
When you hold a baby's soft and warm body, you will know you want one look just like you.

Nov 17, 2017
Trust me, i've been on this and the previous board long enough to know what consists of 'freedom' for a lot of people here. The people with actual worthwhile and interesting hobbies are rare.
I don't know why you are only considering Gaf/Era when just talking about the general idea of wanting children or not wanting children. Plenty of people have creative hobbies or active hobbies that don't solely involve consuming media. A lot of those "hobbies" would be regarded by those people as passions than just a little fun on the side that they could easily discard. Even if someone's hobby does involve consuming media, if that's what they enjoy in life and they feel fulfilled doing that then why mock them for it? I don't care if someone says "I'll never have a kid because I want to play video games all the time" because it doesn't effect my life in the slightest.

The post of yours that I initially quoted was saying something about how if people don't wish to have kids then that's ok and not everyone needs to or is meant to have children. But now your response is talking down on people who would make that choice and making your own judgements on if that choice is "worthwhile" or "interesting" enough based on your own values (when really your opinion on their life choices doesn't matter). So what is your intended tone here? The reason I responded to you in the first place is the clash between your initial accepting tone of "not everyone has to do this and that's fine" and then the weird condescending tone you slipped in of "if you value doing nothing but consuming fleeting, meaningless media".

I don't really agree with people who talk down on people who do choose to have children but I think the opposite is just as annoying. Your life isn't over/you aren't selfish/etc. for having a kid. Your life also isn't devoid of true meaning and purpose if you never have one. It's why I dislike the "you'll change your mind when you have one" type of response to people who say they don't want children.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Best decision I ever made and I wouldn't trade my daughter for all the free time and superfluous entertainment in the world.

It's just been an amazing journey seeing her develop, learn, grow, seeing the foundations of a personality emerge. When I die I won't be pouting for one more day with my xbox. But I would for one more day with family.

She's the only physical part of me that can continue to live after I'm gone.

If you don't want kids that's cool. That's fine. But the whole "I don't understand the human condition" thing is corny AF. Just leave it at "I don't want kids" nothing wrong with that.

cosmickosm

Oct 26, 2017
Eh, some people want different things for different reasons. They've been covered here already. My wife and I don't want kids. We've got nothing against them, we've both just never had any interest in wanting them. Her twin sister recently had one though, and I was a bit worried my wife would want one after seeing the baby. But nope, we're both extremely happy to have a nephew to help raise and be an amazing aunt and uncle to.

While I don't care to have any of my own kids, I'm so fucking excited to be around my nephew. I got so excited when I was watching him and he tried his first attempt at a crawl, I was equally as excited when I saw his first set of teeth coming in. I can't imagine what it's like to be my sis/bro in law experiencing that stuff as parents.

Kids/no kids, whatever, just respect other peoples decisions. Nobody is selfish or above anyone else for wanting/not wanting kids.

Spaltazar

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If you have strong family bonds its probably a lot easier to organize time for yourself (grandparents / friends / extended family taking care of the kids every now and then). it seems like a lot of the core family values are kinda going away these days tho (that may be anecdotal), so i can see it being hard for couples that are more on their own.

Isn't there some kinda saying about a whole village raises a child or something, referring to the fact that back then basically every person was more involved in the life of others?

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
I didn't plan to have one but it happened and we weren't ready for it. Greatest thing that's ever happened in my life.

Having a child and starting a family is a wonderful adventure that no amount of friends or outdoor activities can replicate. There is a feeling you get from your children that can't come from anywhere else.

Wish I had the means to do so right now because I would love to bring another into the world.

LanceX2

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus...what is this thread?

Good god the takes in here lol.

but to truly answer this question.

Because we want to? thats pretty damn simple.

a more long winded answer is to give your life more meaning. Not meaning but more meaning because we are more than our kids parents.

my children and wife give me a reason to work hard and provide as much as I can for us. Your children are your legacy. They carry on after you are gone.

what do you leave behind this world after you die
Your kids and their kids. Not a dumb job or property that will be sold off and thrown away.

You teach your kids to be better and do better than you and hopefully they help make the world a better place than you did.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
If you have strong family bonds its probably a lot easier to organize time for yourself (grandparents / friends / extended family taking care of the kids every now and then). it seems like a lot of the core family values are kinda going away these days tho (that may be anecdotal), so i can see it being hard for couples that are more on their own.

Isn't there some kinda saying about a whole village raises a child or something, referring to the fact that back then basically every person was more involved in the life of others?
"It takes a village to raise a child."

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
This forum cracks me up sometimes. Like, I totally respect not wanting to have kids. No issue with that of all, of course. Whether it just be because you want to focus entirely on yourself, you and your partner, vacations, financial stability... or hell, maybe you just think kids are annoying. But to not even be able to understand why others might want a family... that's really that hard?

Anyway, I had a great single life. Plenty of different girlfriends/partners, a couple great hobbies (video games, photography, cars); once I got married I was able to focus on savings, buying a house, going on lots of vacations, etc. For all intents and purposes, I was living the "dream" with a good job and some financial security and a beautiful wife. I wasn't biting at the bit for kids, by any means. I knew I wanted one someday, but someday could certainly be down the road.

I have a 10 month old girl now, and she is - without a doubt - the most incredible, amazing, fulfilling thing I've ever done. She's beautiful. She is smart. She is already so kind and so strong-willed. I can pretty much see her brain firing when she figures something out or learns something. I have a life ahead of me of sharing the world's experiences with her. To go on trips. To find a passion. To work hard and fail. To work hard and succeed. To work hard and realize it didn't matter. To love. To lose love. To find love again but different. To meet friends. To grow as friends. To understanding what makes her tick. To finding a job and a career and then, eventually, maybe even her own family and for her to experience all of this through the eyes of a parent. And in return? I am a bit more tired, I can't go on that vacation to Tokyo this year, I have a fair bit less time for video games, and I've gained ~10lbs. Big whoop. I'd make that trade a million times over to get one more day with her.

This board is sometimes too damn cynical. There are still plenty of things worth living for in this world. There is so much wrong with it, too, yes; but hopefully I can empower her to be a voice of change. And even if not... even the littlest things can be the most magical for a child. I can't wait to share.
Yeah I think half of the board are actually aliens posting from area 51

Oct 25, 2017
Houston

ego mostly
step 1. find someone who looks as close as possible to you
step 2. produce children that looks like clones of you
step 3. have people call the children beautiful when they look so much like you and therefore they are calling you beautiful instead
step 4. you like tropical weather but don't like going to tropical places so you contribute to overpopulation and indirectly global warming

PoppaBK

Oct 27, 2017
It is the single most amazing thing a human is capable of creating. Think of all the trillions of dollars, millions of man hours etc put into creating computers, vaccines, drugs, art, music etc and some guy and girl can bang in a club bathroom and accidentally create something a million times more advanced and artful.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Because people want to. Another addition to your family to love and watch grow and develop and help them succeed in life.

But I love babies so I'm biased, I'm the guy friends or family go "Here" and pass off the baby when I'm around at a get together or party lol

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
How old are you op?
I never understood the "this world is going towards doomday so I'm not bringing more people in here" angle. Assuming you're a good person, wouldn't you want the world to have more good people like you to turn this shit around?
Also, I'm thinking if the desire to not have kids is somewhat connected to a bad relationship with one's own parents.

LanceX2

Oct 25, 2017

not sure if joke or not.

if your serious than your reply was not needed.

His reply was spot on a great reason. My daughter looks so much like my wife , thankfully, Its just amazing.

But her personality is much more outgoing like mine. shes an insanely perfect mix.

she loves the same stuff as us and is just nothing but a joy and highlight of our day to be around. Granted shes 4 but its just amazing to see her grow.

my 16 year old son now...is a dick hahaha. nah hes great but hes got aome issues that he gets from his egg donor.

ejo

Oct 27, 2017
Hawaii
mostly selfish reasons or cultural pressure in my opinion. it's tough and not worth it if you value what little time you have on this earth. and this is coming from someone that would give my life for my kid.

TheIdiot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Best decision I ever made and I wouldn't trade my daughter for all the free time and superfluous entertainment in the world.

It's just been an amazing journey seeing her develop, learn, grow, seeing the foundations of a personality emerge. When I die I won't be pouting for one more day with my xbox. But I would for one more day with family.

She's the only physical part of me that can continue to live after I'm gone.

If you don't want kids that's cool. That's fine. But the whole "I don't understand the human condition" thing is corny AF. Just leave it at "I don't want kids" nothing wrong with that.

I agree with this sentiment. Threads like these honestly remind me that I'm on the off-topic section of a video game forum, and actually is the kind of thing that inspires me to get shit done lol.

LanceX2

Oct 25, 2017
mostly selfish reasons or cultural pressure in my opinion. it's tough and not worth it if you value what little time you have on this earth. and this is coming from someone that would give my life for my kid.

................what...

my children are tough and hard but their is not a single day where I think...my time would be worth more elsewhere.

children are what gives your time on this earth meaning and they carry on after you die. that is your legacy.

LanceX2

Oct 25, 2017
i
I agree with this sentiment. Threads like these honestly remind me that I'm on the off-topic section of a video game forum, and actually is the kind of thing that inspires me to get shit done lol.
Man.....I agree but gdamn the takes in this place. Im a gamer too but It feels like a different reality with some of these posts.