• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The Thing

carpenter could still be making movies today if that hadn't bombed,

imagine doing your best work and everyone calling it trash, that must have messed with his head

i'll also give another vote for Nice Guys

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Some great ones already mentioned (Dredd, Br2049, The Nice Guys) so I'll go with one that probably won't be mentioned that I really enjoyed, Dracula: Untold.

O4bucHK.gif

I really enjoyed this movie, it had some great action pieces, an interesting story, and most of all the main character was well developed and had charisma.

What makes it even worse that it didn't do as well as they hoped is that THIS movie was meant to be the one that would "launch" the Universal Monsters universe, not that shitty ass Tom Cruise Mummy movie that they made years after this, and this movie was faaaaaaaaar more enjoyable imo.

To me it was the best action/monster movies since the 90's era Mummy movie and was perfectly setup for sequels, but for some reason it just didn't catch on with audiences or critics and I don't get why.

Max|Payne

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.

Not sure if it "bombed" but it certainly didn't do enough to end up a proper trilogy.

Rooney Lisbeth is best Lisbeth. :(

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Scott Pilgrim vs The World. I loved the movie and wished we had seen sequels.

Warcraft, because I wanted to see an Arthas movie. I know it wasn't a huge bomb, but it didn't make enough to warrant development of any sequels.

Yup, this one for me as well. I really enjoyed the movie. I would have loved to see it reach more interesting parts of Warcraft lore like Arthas's story.

CandySTX

Mar 17, 2018
Scotland
Alien Covenant

Going to make some enemies when I say that I liked the film and was looking forward to seeing the David story through to the end.

PoppaBK

Oct 27, 2017
landscape-1498488623-dredd-2012.jpg

The 2012 Judge Dredd movie. Though I hear the IP owners, Rebellion, have now just bought a $100 million dollar facility in the UK and are now working on a "Mega City One" series. So this might not be dead.
Sounds like we are getting more media in this universe, but I really wanted to see a direct sequel after the first did such a stellar job setting up the two main characters.
Edge of Tomorrow as well. I still don't understand how that movie failed to connect with audiences.

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think Scott Pilgrim's box office response is the first and last time I felt genuine unhappiness over a film's underperformance.

It was so good :(

Transistor

Vodka martini, dirty, with Tito's please
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
The A-Team

Neeson / Cooper / Rampage / Copley were absolutely amazing as Hannibal / Face / BA / Murdock. Mix that with Brian Bloom's great script and Joe Carnahan's over-the-top directing and I fell instantly in love. It is a damn shame we'll never see a sequel.

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Both Blade Runner 2049 and Mad Max: Fury Road. Don't know that either one bombed exactly, but they sure as hell didn't make the money that they deserved.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Tron. Either the original or Legacy. Legacy wasn't quite a bomb, but it wasn't very successful. OG Tron is like THE bomba though.

Whitemex

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Some great ones already mentioned (Dredd, Br2049, The Nice Guys) so I'll go with one that probably won't be mentioned that I really enjoyed, Dracula: Untold.

O4bucHK.gif

I really enjoyed this movie, it had some great action pieces, an interesting story, and most of all the main character was well developed and had charisma.

What makes it even worse that it didn't do as well as they hoped is that THIS movie was meant to be the one that would "launch" the Universal Monsters universe, not that shitty ass Tom Cruise Mummy movie that they made years after this, and this movie was faaaaaaaaar more enjoyable imo.

To me it was the best action/monster movies since the 90's era Mummy movie and was perfectly setup for sequels, but for some reason it just didn't catch on with audiences or critics and I don't get why.
Most people didn't/don't know/care about Luke Evans

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
  • Blade Runner 2049
  • Dredd - At least it is getting a high budget TV show soon
  • Scott Pilgrim
  • Tron Legacy - What a visual spectacle the movie was

Oct 26, 2017
New York
The Thing (1982)

Im not sure if it was technically a bomb but the financial and critical reception was so poor at the time that it sunk alot of opportunities for John Carpenter. While I love his output from the mid to late 80's, I'm always curious to know how his career would've shifted if his first big budget studio film was a success.

LosDaddie

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Longwood, FL
The Predator - Movie wasn't anything great, but I'm always down for more Predator.

F13th / Nightmare on Elm remakes - I enjoyed both reboots and would watch more.

JSevere

Oct 25, 2017
definitely the 2011 Winnie the Pooh movie. it was pretty much the last bastion for theatrical 2D animation in the US and Disney basically sent it out to die against the last Harry Potter film. think if it had made back its budget several times over Disney and Hollywood in general would've taken another look at the potential of the medium and those kinds of movies wouldn't have completely disappeared from the landscape (outside of the odd TV show adaptation like Teen Titans Go every now and then)

Oct 27, 2017
John Carter, I love the pulp heroes and It could have been a really good series with way less rape than the comics reboot blegh.

landscape-1498488623-dredd-2012.jpg

The 2012 Judge Dredd movie. Though I hear the IP owners, Rebellion, have now just bought a $100 million dollar facility in the UK and are now working on a "Mega City One" series. So this might not be dead.

Sahara.

Could have been a decent brain off adventure type of series that you always seem to leave on when you're flicking channels. Probably.

These definitely, especially Sahara. That was a fun movie and I liked Matthew McConaughey and Steve Zahn as a partner adventure duo. There is a ton of Dirk Pitt novels to draw inspiration from, too.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
The Nice Guys should've launched a renaissance of the buddy cop genre
I came in to post Scott Pilgrim because it's so fucking perfect and I'd have loved to see more in the universe, but this is also an exceptionally good answer.

Mad Max Fury Road
Dredd
Blade Runner 2049
Speed Racer
Tron Legacy
Mad Max made over $150m, Blade Runner over $90m, Tron over $170m (US figures for each, obviously notably more with foreign grosses). These movies were not bombs by any stretch of the imagination even if it would have been nice if they'd done better. Dredd and Speed Racer were massive bombs but you're spot on that both deserved so much better.