• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
Warcraft, because I wanted to see an Arthas movie. I know it wasn't a huge bomb, but it didn't make enough to warrant development of any sequels.

Did you see the money it made in China?

Also it was really popular with the WarCraft audience which is what they were going for I think.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Blade Runner 2049 is a good answer, but at the same time I kind of prefer it to a string of increasingly disappointing and brainless sequels as studio execs attempt to cash in on the Blade Runner Cinematic Universe™. Instead Blade Runner is two great movies. And that's good enough for me.

Came to post this. I really enjoyed the movie as a whole and would have loved a sequel.

I guess it didn't necessarily bomb as I image it still made a nice profit worldwide, just severely underperformed given it's Star Wars.

That said, I could still see that tease leading to a sequel of sorts as that character is well positioned to head up a Star Wars Story movie for sure.

Solo absolutely lost money. There is no way in hell it made a "nice profit" at less than $400 million worldwide. They spent nearly that much on production plus marketing for it.

Deleted member 48205

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 30, 2018
Yeah definitely Blade Runner 2049, it deserves better, my favorite movie of last year and honestly one of the best movies I've ever watched

Blade30

Oct 26, 2017
Blade Runner 2049 is a good answer, but at the same time I kind of prefer it to a string of increasingly disappointing and brainless sequels as studio execs attempt to cash in on the Blade Runner Cinematic Universe™.

It's not necessarily about getting sequels but having more movies like BR 2049, maybe not at that budget (~ 150 $million) but close enough.

ProtomanNeo

Oct 27, 2017
Some of these aren't bombs. The studios just had unrealistic expectations and hoped they would set the world on fire and they didn't. Making a big budget sequel to a cult classic is kind of a foolish endeavor. The install base isn't there for the kind of return studios want nowadays. Tron and Bladerunner are perfect examples.

Hoot

Nov 12, 2017
The Warcraft movie.

It was so genuinely campy and weird. I was really entertained with my friends during it and wouldn't've mind to see a sequel at least

Log!

Oct 27, 2017
BR2049 is the easy answer, but I'm happily surprised that Tron: Legacy is getting so much love in here. Definitely had a style that I liked a lot.

Jeff Albertson

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I kind of wish The Good Dinosaur was better, my son is called Arlo and it would have been cool for him to get Arlo merchandise

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
enchanted.jpg

Legit one of my favorite Disney movies.

Not as much a bomb as an underperformance. It deserved more.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
p12669854_v_v8_aa.jpg

She was a freaky kind of girl
Kept up with current events from all around the world
More specifically one event
The time Osama Bin Laden got shot in the head
She said "Do me like that"
But I couldn't track the metaphor
That said I can see you horny like a stegasaur
That said again your request is so irregular
She put on a beard, I started looking at the exit door
Then a turban
Then a tunic
She said "Invade my cave with your special unit"
I said "He wasn't in a cave", but there was no stopping
She demanded that I fuck her like we fucked Bin Laden.

Henry Jones Jr

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The X-Files: I Want To Believe

Not a great movie, but I thought it got more hate than it deserved and killed the chances for a 3rd movie. I still don't know how we got lucky enough to get 2 more seasons.

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
Dark City. Hadn't it bombed we might have seen different Alex Proyas today.

Event Horizon. It basically killed sci-fi horrors that aren't Alien, Predator or have a budget big enough to buy hot-dogs to the guy with the smartphone.

Gonzalez

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sword of Doom
tumblr_lp9aomMe2T1qlh9eeo1_500.gif

Sets up so many plot threads that never got resolved. At least Blade Runner 2049 had resolution. The only thing it hurt by bombing was the potential for more big budget art films.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
15.gif

If I had to pick absolutely one, then it's Speed Racer for me.

That kind of boldness, unbridled ambition and just flat out visual genius deserved to be rewarded, or at least not met with absolute disaster. Who knows what innovations had the Wachowskis gone on to further accomplish if this movie hadn't gone down in flames the way it did. I believe nobody else this century pushed the boundaries of the cinematic aesthetic this century as much as they did with this movie.

In their own words:

Lana Wachowski: Warner Bros. was at first gleeful that we were, like, doing a known entity that seemed like a family movie for kids. And then we started showing stuff, and they were like, "Oh my god. Oh my god." We were interested in cubism and Lichtenstein and pop art, and we wanted to bring all of that stuff into the cinema aesthetic. … They were like, "Oh my god. Are you insane? What are you doing? This is the weirdest thing I've ever seen." And we're like, "Yes, that's the reason we're making it."

Lana Wachowski: We said, 'Okay, we are going to assault every single modern aesthetic with this film.'

For its 10th anniversay I wrote a small article about its visual identity, cinematography and editing, in case anyone out there is interested.

Speed Racer would be better if everything outside of the races were cut out. Unfortunately that's like 75% of the movie. Redline is the better style over subtstance racer movie.
But Speed Racer has substance. Even fewer people would care about the movie if they weren't engaged in the plot and the characters. I think I speak for any fan of the movie when I say it established a genuine emotional connection. It's tried and true, evil vs good stuff, but done in a refreshingly earnest and sincere way. Not only is there not a single cynical bone in this thing, actual themes run through the movie. There's actually a message in there if you pay the slightest bit of attention.

And Royalton is a truly memorable, top tier scenery-chewing, mustache-twirling villain.

The only thing Redline has going for itself is the quality of its animation.

-

Speed Racer aside, there's Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World.

e9Kr402.gif

dgnu8rA.gif

Not because I want sequels (although it sure would have been nice), but just because this kind of high-quality adult-oriented blockbuster deserves all the success in the world (over the basic-ass pap that tops the box office charts), and it could mean more movies of this type.

Blade Runner 2049 is another one. This stuff just isn't met with the success they should. Cinema is in a dire fucking state frankly.

Last edited:

EAPidgeon

Oct 25, 2017
Everything coming to mind immediately has already been said. In a technical denied funding / never made way I would nominate Alejandro Jodorowsky's version of Dune. It looked to be incredible, but Hollywood didn't think it would have mass appeal. Great documentary on it of roughly the same name.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
I did like Tron and I did want sequels. But I didn't like it half as much on rewatch, almost completely based on the lead.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
SOLO was so good and had it done better we could have gotten a slick little trilogy leading up to his involvement in ANH.

I would have loved to see Han and Chewie in the prime of their smuggling days, meeting up with Jabba for the first time, etc.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Everything coming to mind immediately has already been said. In a technical denied funding / never made way I would nominate Alejandro Jodorowsky's version of Dune. It looked to be incredible, but Hollywood didn't think it would have mass appeal. Great documentary on it of roughly the same name.

Well, it gave us one of the best documentaries ever made so there's that. :)

Also, I want that thick tome they kept teasing with all the artwork and storyboards.

impiri

Oct 25, 2017
Titan A.E. was very good, and its success could have changed the trajectory of Western animation a bit

Golden Compass fumbled the execution a bit, but I really wanted to see how subversive that series of films would dare to be in the end

Cam

Oct 27, 2017
To echo and jump on the bandwagon:
Tron Legacy
Dredd
Equilibrium

Oh that Solo. I thought you meant the Mario Van Peebles movie, Solo.

12412554_1300x1733.jpg
I seriously thought i was the only one that immediately thought of this first, I genuinely forgot about the Han Solo thing.

My original pick would be the Chris Evans 2009 film, Push. It was what I wanted out of an X Men film, different people living day to day with different powers and how they used them in everyday life, whether it was for their jobs or to be powerful criminals.

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
I kind of wish The Good Dinosaur was better, my son is called Arlo and it would have been cool for him to get Arlo merchandise

Depending on your son's age, you should check out a book called Arlo Finch in the Valley of Fire. It's a YA fantasy novel about a Boy Scout finding a magical forest, or something like that. It was written by John August, one of the cohosts of the Scriptnotes podcast and writer of Big Fish (among other things).

Snkfanatic

Oct 25, 2017
Dredd was what came to mind immediately. Love that movie and I hope it gets a proper sequel someday.

Iso

Oct 25, 2017
I like this pick. I really like the movie. There aren't enough good scifi horror films.
Seriously! I had zero expectations going in, I think a couple friends and I randomly picked it off the shelf at Blockbuster lol. I remember loving the ending, such a shame, it seemed like a good premise for a sequel.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah. Besides Power Rangers, I wish Tomb Raider (2018) hadn't bombed. I totally enjoyed it, and it set up some interesting things. Really want that sequel.

Could also mention Dredd and Solo: A Star Wars Story.

Blade Runner 2049 is the easy one.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
Blade Runner 2049 is a good answer, but at the same time I kind of prefer it to a string of increasingly disappointing and brainless sequels as studio execs attempt to cash in on the Blade Runner Cinematic Universe™. Instead Blade Runner is two great movies. And that's good enough for me.

I think that's right. The sequel was unexpectedly beautiful in writing and cinematography, and it earned critical acclaim. The true misfortune in my estimation is that after Arrival and 2049 there may be fewer beautiful and innovative science fiction films by Denis Villeneuve.

Fritz

Oct 26, 2017
I think that's right. The sequel was unexpectedly beautiful in writing and cinematography, and it earned critical acclaim. The true misfortune in my estimation is that after Arrival and 2049 there may be fewer beautiful and innovative science fiction films by Denis Villeneuve.

Well, at least his Dune is in pre-production.