• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

VinylCassette64

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
definitely the 2011 Winnie the Pooh movie. it was pretty much the last bastion for theatrical 2D animation in the US and Disney basically sent it out to die against the last Harry Potter film. think if it had made back its budget several times over Disney and Hollywood in general would've taken another look at the potential of the medium and those kinds of movies wouldn't have completely disappeared from the landscape (outside of the odd TV show adaptation like Teen Titans Go every now and then)

+1

This is the one that burns me the most. It's especially bad as unlike WDAS's usual CG films and 2009's Princess and the Frog (usually $100M+) it was made for only $30M. I'm hoping that with Lee now in charge of WDAS, they might give theatrical 2D films another chance after Lasseter's short-lived attempt--even if it's a similarly low-budget one. Between the live-action remakes of their animated films, WDAS, Pixar, Marvel, and Star Wars, Disney is swimming in money as it is. The studio also certainly has no problem taking risks, considering with the constant $100M live-action adaptation bombs they keep releasing once or twice a year at this rate (Nutcracker, A Wrinkle in Time, The BFG, Alice Through the Looking Glass, Tomorrowland, etc.)

Speaking of unpopular non-CG animated films; I'm really not too jazzed with how audiences have received Laika and Aardman's stop motion films. Kubo and Shaun the Sheep Movie deserved better than how they actually performed (although at least Shaun did well enough internationally that there's a sequel for it coming out next year). I'm at this point surprised stop-motion films still have a foothold in mainstream theaters as it is.

Given that everybody has already said 2049, I'm gonna mention the first Pacific Rim. It made enough money to garner a sequel years later and an animated series but it's still disappointing how del Toro's script wasn't used and that they gave it to a rookie director. Also Boyega producing it whilst missing the point of the first.

Also agreed with this. From everything I've read about Uprising it just feels like Legendary saw it as just a potential franchise they could milk for Chinese box-office receipts and proceeded to phone in that film in hard. There's an anime / show adaptation in the works though, so maybe that one could be good? IDK.

Other suggestions / agreements:
- Dredd 3D (Though it's getting a TV series)
- Paddington 2 (The U.S. release; although again, like Shaun, it did well enough elsewhere that there's a third film in the works.)
- The 2011 Adventures of Tintin (combination of Tintin being more of a European icon and Paramount's meddling sunk it it in the US; while the international release --handled by Sony-- was much better, a sequel still languishes in development hell :/)

Speed Racer would be better if everything outside of the races were cut out. Unfortunately that's like 75% of the movie. Redline is the better style over subtstance racer movie.

Pretty much agreed with everything here; although I do wonder if by Redline, you're referring to the 2009 anime film by Madhouse. (There's a live-action film with the same name, also about car racing, that came out in 2007; which I --and given its box office results, almost everybody else-- haven't seen. :v)

Last edited:

Fubar

Oct 25, 2017
Warcraft is my #1. I never played those games but enjoyed the hell out of that movie. The CG work was great and I would have been there day one for Warcraft 2.

Power Rangers wasnt all that enjoyable, but it had the potential to come out with a great sequel.

Star Wars Rogue One certainly didnt bomb, and I dont want a sequel, but I want another Star Wars film in a similar tone. It was serious, a bit morbid, and was a straight up war movie. I want another Star Wars in that tone. Rogue One performing better might have pushed Lucasfilm in that direction.

It doesnt have to be dark and gritty and all that crap, but go ahead and kill off people. Have brutal fights. Show people struggling with decisions in grey areas and not just straight up Good vs Evil every time. Mandalorian or DnD's movies might be in this vein, you never know, but i would enjoy the hell out of it if they did.

HommePomme

Oct 30, 2017
p12669854_v_v8_aa.jpg

Came here for this. Saw it on release in an empty theatre, probably rented it on iTunes like 5 times since with various friends and relatives. Everyone loves it.

Not sure how "Lonely Island Movie" wasn't enough but the marketing might have been weird? Wish those guys could catch a break

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of unpopular non-CG animated films; I'm really not too jazzed with how audiences have received Laika and Aardman's stop motion films. Kubo and Shaun the Sheep Movie deserved better than how they actually performed (although at least Shaun did well enough internationally that there's a sequel for it coming out next year). I'm at this point surprised stop-motion films still have a foothold in mainstream theaters as it is.

So much this.

A lot of this topic is predictably, if also understandably, looking at stunted franchises that didn't get off the ground. I didn't contribute really because I couldn't think of what was more interesting to me - films that, if more successful, would have altered the actual landscape to be a bit more diverse than the current tentpole-to-tentpole industry we've been in for some years.

Laika is a great choice for that. Kubo is simply magnificent. It's story is a bit obvious but it makes up for it with the actual storytelling, both in its pacing and its sheer beauty. Kubo gave me more goosebumps than just about anything else I've seen in theaters this entire decade.

And more than that, I still think ParaNorman is even better. I simply adore that movie.

Granted, ParaNorman and The Boxtrolls (this one did not work for me) made a little over $100 million globally, but Kubo dropped to just below $70 million. And even then, stop-motion isn't a cheap endeavor, and certainly not at the level Laika is at. Here's hoping Missing Link does a bit better by being a bit more conventionally comedic and kid-oriented.

- Paddington 2 (The U.S. release; although again, like Shaun, it did well enough elsewhere that there's a third film in the works.)

I've said it before, but while Paddington 1 did decently in the US, we just don't have the cultural relationship to Paddington as a character that other English-speaking countries do. I think we're also in a moment where family films, and I don't use the term negatively, aren't pulling big numbers outside of 3D animation. These movies would have utterly demolished at the box office in the 90s.

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
Came here for this. Saw it on release in an empty theatre, probably rented it on iTunes like 5 times since with various friends and relatives. Everyone loves it.

Not sure how "Lonely Island Movie" wasn't enough but the marketing might have been weird? Wish those guys could catch a break

I think trying to make a Lonely Island movie was probably well beyond the sell date by 2016. Releasing it during the height of blockbuster season was also a terrible idea, even if it's opening weekend competition came in pretty soft (the 2nd Bay TMNT movie). Samberg also just doesn't have a lot of box office draw, unfortunately. Again, in a different era (the 90s mostly) the man would have been like a way funnier, more personable, and more mature Adam Sandler.

I'm so happy it got made, though.

Darth Pinche

Oct 27, 2017
15.gif

If I had to pick absolutely one, then it's Speed Racer for me.

That kind of boldness, unbridled ambition and just flat out visual genius deserved to be rewarded, or at least not met with absolute disaster. Who knows what innovations had the Wachowskis gone on to further accomplish if this movie hadn't gone down in flames the way it did. I believe nobody else this century pushed the boundaries of the cinematic aesthetic this century as much as they did with this movie.

In their own words:

For its 10th anniversay I wrote a small article about its visual identity, cinematography and editing, in case anyone out there is interested.

But Speed Racer has substance. Even fewer people would care about the movie if they weren't engaged in the plot and the characters. I think I speak for any fan of the movie when I say it established a genuine emotional connection. It's tried and true, evil vs good stuff, but done in a refreshingly earnest and sincere way. Not only is there not a single cynical bone in this thing, actual themes run through the movie. There's actually a message in there if you pay the slightest bit of attention.

And Royalton is a truly memorable, top tier scenery-chewing, mustache-twirling villain.

The only thing Redline has going for itself is the quality of its animation.

-

Speed Racer aside, there's Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World.

e9Kr402.gif

dgnu8rA.gif

Not because I want sequels (although it sure would have been nice), but just because this kind of high-quality adult-oriented blockbuster deserves all the success in the world (over the basic-ass pap that tops the box office charts), and it could mean more movies of this type.

Blade Runner 2049 is another one. This stuff just isn't met with the success they should. Cinema is in a dire fucking state frankly.
Yes my top 3 as well. Speed Racer, Master and Commander, and Blade Runner 2049.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Speed Racer, Blade Runner 2049, Mandy, the recent Power Rangers movie was pretty solid, too.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
I just wish they could pretend the movie never existed and just got Elba and McConaughey to do the series.
Yeah but I don't even think Netflix is that brave after the bomb. It'd be a hard sell as most wouldn't even care to listen to an explanation on why it's different, they'd just tune anything out and stay away and, I wouldn't blame them.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah but I don't even think Netflix is that brave after the bomb. It'd be a hard sell as most wouldn't even care to listen to an explanation on why it's different, they'd just tune anything out and stay away and, I wouldn't blame them.

I think the show is still happening, on Amazon. But no Elba i believe.

We'll see how that goes.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Blade runner for sure.
Ghostbusters

And Jem and the Holgrams, which was a terrible take on the franchise and a total misfire, but I would have liked to see the Misfits.

bigstef71

Banned
Jul 5, 2018
Chicago
I just rewatched John Carter on Netflix for the first time since I saw it in theaters. I love this film and really wish it was successful so we could've gotten the sequels that were planned :/

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland

I'm tempted to say Blade Runner 2049, but it got made and I got to see it and that's that. The Golden Compass is a fairly good big budget film based on the Philip Pullman novel Northern Lights. Commercial success could have led to the rest of His Dark Materials being filmed.

The reasons for its commercial failure seem to be related to uneasiness with the thematic material in the domestic market, it made $300m overseas (including an extraordinary $53m in the UK where Pullman's works are very popular) and only $70m domestic. It even won the 2007 Oscar for Visual Effects and picked up another nomination for Art Direction.

FarronFox

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Pan. The movie with Hugh Jackman as Blackbeard. I thought this was quite a good film and would have loved to have seen where else they could have taken it.

Yeah, that'd be good. I remember at the time of release they were talking up all the sequels and the first movie ends as if it is to be continued, but then it never was! I'm still waiting for the sequel and so forth. It'd be kind of like just having The first Lord of the Rings movie (Fellowship of the Ring) and then nothing following on from that.

I just rewatched John Carter on Netflix for the first time since I saw it in theaters. I love this film and really wish it was successful so we could've gotten the sequels that were planned :/

This too. Actually this is probably the worst. It feels like such an epic film and it is so sad that we now supposedly can't see anymore from it. Each time I watch it I just feel sad. They should have just continued on and made other films from that.

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
Blade Runner 2049. It was a top-tier sci-fi movie that nobody went to see. Even the director said he'd "made a monster". He didn't make a monster. He made a great fucking film. It's the general public who are the monsters.

cinch

Chicken Chaser
Feb 17, 2019
Gonna echo what's been said, but Blade Runner 2049, Solo, Dredd, and glad someone mentioned it but also Dark City, one of my all time favorite movies.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Blade Runner is cursed for some reason, so yeah that sucked. That was the type of movie I want to see getting big budgets.

shenden

Oct 27, 2017
I gotta go with Tron Legacy. It had the full package, also Olivia Wilde.

This reminds me that I should revisit that movie on my new tv.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Blade Runner 2049 is an obvious one. Not necessarily because I want sequels (I don't), but mostly because it was a rare example of a big studio taking a huge risk with a high-budget, but very niche film (remember, the first Blade Runner bombed hard in cinemas despite it's reputation).

I fear that Blade Runner's failure at the BO basically guaranteed that not a single big studio is going to take a risk like that again.

And obligatory Warcraft post.
Why would you want a sequel to that monstrosity?

Warcraft actually didn't bomb though, it made a ton of money thanks to China. The reason it didn't get a sequel is because the movie itself is awful.

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
HITMAN.

I don't know why I really really liked that movie. Timothy Olyphant as Hitman worked for me.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
John Carter of motherfucking Mars (arghhhh).

Would have been nice to get some of the other books.

Without a doubt it'd be Tron Legacy, that movie is incredible.

This too. I doubt I will ever have a movie have the same impact visually than Tron Legacy. It's an amazing achievement even if the plot is an absolute mess. Some digital jazz for my soul.

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tron: Legacy, as I'm sure we would've had a sequel by now. What a beautiful movie. And I actually find it very enjoyable. That OST. <3

SolidSnakeBoy

May 21, 2018
Treasure Planet: single handedly ended big budget 2D Disney films, which is a damn shame given it and Atlantis are some of my favorite SciFi films.

Deleted member 6173

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Predators.

I liked Adrian Brody's Character in that movie. I wanted to see what would happen to him afterwards