• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
I don't care about getting sequels most of the time. but i do generally wish some movies were appreciated more and were popular, just because they deserve it. John Carter is one such movie. doesn't need a sequel, it was just really good. I'm sure there were sequel hooks but i dont care

Edit: ArcLyte, this is a good answer. the movie was good.

SlasherMcGirk

Oct 27, 2017
Cincinnati
Shoot_em_up_ver2.jpg

C'mon guys seriously

WaveBird

Oct 29, 2017
The new tv series looks so much better than the old one. CGI has come a long way. Also, looking at it now; the OG GC movie looks super cheese and hideous

I'm super excited for the new adaptation and wasn't a big fan of the movie but man oh man did they have the casting right for the movie with some of the characters.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Blade Runner 2049. There's admittedly a poetic beauty to it flopping considering it's basically a modern classic at this point like the original. Still hurts to see big budget science fiction do that poorly.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
Fantasia. I searched every page and I can't believe I'm the first to mention this.

It's my favorite film of all time, and it breaks my heart that it nearly killed Disney, and as a result, I'm convinced forever changed the trajectory of animation during its early, pivotal years. I can only imagine how much more ambitious and varied animated films would've been throughout the decades if that film had taken off.

Great answer, and would have been amazing.

I saw the 80s release in High School and loved it. Saw the 90's release with a buddy who wasn't that impressed until I informed him of the production date. He assumed it was from the 60s or later.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
Was going to add "Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy" because I want the sequels, but I see that it did well enough and that there is sequel talk on and off.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Warcraft. I get why it bombed (at least in the US), but man I was really hoping for that to become a series so we could get to Arthas one day.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
Justice League...

Man I wanted a good Justice League... and now we have no clue when a Superman movie is coming lol.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
The Iron Giant should have been able to inspire producers to fund smarter, more mature traditionally animated, family friendly films. Alas, it failing (largely due to a terrible marketing non-job by WB) did the opposite.

Last edited:

SpyGuy

Oct 30, 2017
GI Joe Universe
Pacific Rim Universe
Blade Runner Universe
Torn Universe
Mortal Engines Universe

Love all those movies. List goes on...

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Based on how this thread went, it seems like the answer is Big Hollywood Cyberpunk Movies in General.

From BR2049, Alita (didn't bomb but didn't lock in a sequel either), Tron Legacy, and Dredd, it looks like cyberpunk just doesn't really catch on in mainstream American Hollywood. Even the original Blade Runner from what I understand only achieved cult status a while after it came out. The only big "cyberpunk" Hollywood success I can think of is The Matrix. I think the difference with that one is it eased its audience into the heavy cyberpunk philosophy, it didn't immediately slam them in the face with it like BR, Ghost in the Shell, or Alita.

Aside from those, Master and Commander is definitely one, but to be honest I'd have no idea how to market that movie. When it originally came out I wasn't interested in it at all, I only watched it on HBO years later. Even then, while immediately recognized it as a great movie, I also knew why it didn't do well. The original marketing didn't really give a good idea about what it is. It's a naval war movie, but it's also a character-based slow burn. At the very least that just wasn't in at the time -- it came out surrounded by Blockbuster action movies. I wonder if Master and Commander wouldn't have done better as a TV series.

Bad_Boy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Equilibrium? Idk if it bombed or not, but a sequel.... better yet, a prequel would have been dope.

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Chronicles of Riddick (2003)
It took ages until we got a sequel and that was quite scaled down.

Waterworld
The movie that put an end to big Kevin Costner movies in the 90s.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I would say Blade Runner 2049 because it deserves it, but...it doesn't need another sequel. And Villeneuve was still handed the keys to Dune somehow. So everything seems to have worked out fine there.

So let's go with Dredd.

Rogue74

Nov 13, 2017
Miami, FL
I agree with Blade Runner 2049 of course.

I also wish The Adventures of Tintin had done much better. I think it is very underrated.

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
Grindhouse.

One of the best nights I've ever spent in a movie theater. Snakes on a Plane opening night is the only thing I can compare it to.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
I'm really surprised I'm not the only one to say the Green Lantern movie. It had its problems, but it would've been a much more tonally appropriate and earnest start to a DC cinematic universe than Zack Snyder's absolute bullshit.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
Man from Uncle should have at least been as successful as the other spy movies that came out this year and given a sequel at the same time period. Hell even Bond was given a second chance.

With that said, the success of Straiggt Outta Compton was well deserved.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Spirits within

Only because of all the repercussions

SirCheese

Oct 27, 2017
The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn

Great movie and so much nostalgia for someone who grew up reading Tintin.

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
Treasure Planet. Love it dearly to this day.

Was just thinking about this movie the other day--how did it bomb so hard back then? It's been awhile since I watched it, but I considered it to be one of the better animated films Disney put out (plus am a sucker for Treasure Island adaptations).

Anyway, Van Helsing (Hugh Jackman version) for me. Genuinely loved how terribly campy and cheesey the whole movie was (was the closest I ever got to a Castlevania movie) , I would have loved to see where they would have gone with that franchise.

A shame how Universal cannot, for the life of them, do any kind of shared universe, using their iconic monsters.

Nimurai

Oct 28, 2017
Blade runner 2049 and The nice guys. It would be hard to find 2 movies more "up my alley" than these. Appearently the general public disagrees.

genjiZERO

Banned
Jan 27, 2019
Richmond
It's unfortunate that Blade Runner 2049 bombed because it's the smartest science fiction movie to come out in ages and unlike the original is actually about existentialism.

I'm sure many will disagree but Solo. The tease at the end made me want to see where they were planning to go with things.

You know, we all have tastes and opinions, and that's fine, but I really didn't like that movie and I hope it's not a trend for the Star Wars franchise. From my perspective, it was just a generic heist film that changed the personae and the details and of character's mythoi in both bad and unnecessary ways. If it hadn't been a Solo film I'd probably feel different though.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really surprised I'm not the only one to say the Green Lantern movie. It had its problems, but it would've been a much more tonally appropriate and earnest start to a DC cinematic universe than Zack Snyder's absolute bullshit.

There was a really good movie in there that got completely lost in all the studio interference.

But what really kills it in the end is the edit. It has no flow, whenever it starts going, it stops again.

GL is my favorite superhero and seeing it be a lame movie *and* also flop (when plenty of just-as-lame superhero movies made bank) really hurt.

Monkey D.

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
- power rangers 2017
- justice league, man of steel
- tron
-dredd
-pacific rim 1 ( didnt like the style of the second movie) part 1 looked fantastic.