• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
too much action in dead space 3
not enough combat in uncharted 4
promethean on halo 4
reskinned locuste and samey gameplay on gears 4
lack of narrative and cut scene in mgs5
horrible control and uninteresting enemies and too much hollywood boom bang in re6
the entirety of dino crisis 3

Deleted member 11276

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yep, BOTW unfortunately. Not for me at all Everyone says that the way to play it is just go around and explore, but when you just explore to find more korok seeds, samey shrines with a lot of them combat shrines, and breakable weapons to use to find more breakable weapons....yea. Give me classic zelda.
Agreed. But I think going back to classic Zelda isn't the answer. They just have to make the world and story much more interesting and also bring back classic dungeons.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
This is going to be controversial, but...Wind Waker's art style. Wait! Don't type yet. It was cute and expressive and everything...but it really should have just been confined to the one game, rather than influencing virtually every Zelda that came after it. It wasn't until Breath of the Wild that the series' art style finally evolved into something I liked again.

When Skyrim was infected with regen health. It was extremely minor, but still, ew.
That's what bothers you? Not the fact that you can carry 999 cheese wheels and eat them all instantly at any time during combat to regain whatever health you want?

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
That's what bothers you? Not the fact that you can carry 999 cheese wheels and eat them all instantly at any time during combat to regain whatever health you want?

I have an almost universal hatred for the regen health mechanic. I never played Skyrim like you're describing, so I can't speak to that. At least there would be some weight requirements keeping you in check lol.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Ni No Kuni 2 removed the Pokémon Familiar combat and killed my excitement for it.
Yup, this was me as well. Worth noting, I still ended up getting it, and it's still a solid ARPG. It's just that the reasons I liked it are completely different from the reasons I loved the first game.

Hopefully the upcoming Yo-kai Watch 4 on the NnK engine scratches that original Ni no Kuni itch for me...

BouncyFrag

Oct 27, 2017
Fully voiced protagonist and hunting down yet another family member in Fallout 4, and it turned out worst than I had initially feared.

Mr. Poolman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm sick of franchises with the "dad simulator syndrome", ie: invincible AI partners being there just for the sake of stories.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
MGSV taking the series open world and mission based instead of a cohesive narrative.

I was not of a fan of its structure and felt it lost much of the charm that the focused, linear adventures of 1-4 had. Repetitive missions, not many awesome cutscenes and cinematics...it was the first MGS I actually stopped playing.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
I have an almost universal hatred for the regen health mechanic. I never played Skyrim like you're describing, so I can't speak to that. At least there would be some weight requirements keeping you in check lol.
Well yeah. My point was that Skyrim has far more egregious ways around restoring health on a whim than its pitiful natural regen rate. It's so nonexistent there are times when I forget the mechanic exists, especially at higher levels when my health pool is much larger.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
adding CoD shit to Halo.

Ill do this but say adding titanfall stuff to cod. Titanfall is amazing too play because it is so fluid and fast. The wal running they added in all recent cod titles is flacid and has no sense of speed or precision. Just ruins overall map design and flow

Its why i enjoyed WW2 and bought it day 1 but skipped on black ops 4

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
Umbrella being killed offscreen by the stock market during Resident Evil 4's intro. Couldn't give two fucks about the story after that until Revelations 2 which somewhat revived an interesting arching narrative (that didn't go anywhere in 7, but still).

Open world in Inquisition and Andromeda, both games that are better games if you try your damndest to ignore the open world and play them like DA2/ME2. Additionally, removing party AI gambits from Dragon Age when it was one of the last series to give you that much control over real-time party actions.

Xehanort's plan in Kingdom Hearts. I was totally on board with the Kingdom Hearts narrative, stupidity and all, through Birth By Sleep. Everything after lost me.

Valkyria Chronicles 2 splitting up the battlefield into tiny bits; necessary cause handheld, I get it, but the combat just didn't feel the same. Also VC2: the generic anime school setting.

Toa Axis

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Ill do this but say adding titanfall stuff to cod. Titanfall is amazing too play because it is so fluid and fast. The wal running they added in all recent cod titles is flacid and has no sense of speed or precision. Just ruins overall map design and flow

Its why i enjoyed WW2 and bought it day 1 but skipped on black ops 4
Black Ops 4 doesn't have wall running.
-----
I think Halo's insistence on chasing trends really has hurt the series. Loadouts, sprint, enhanced mobility, greater numbers "cinematic" moments in the recent campaigns, etc, all have served to rob the series of its identity.

lake

Oct 27, 2017
Jak II was very much not an improvement for me

512R13CS1DL.jpg

Runner up: Prince of Persia Warrior Within, lol

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
Big Boss taking over the Metal Gear series.

MGS3 was fine, a prequel playing as Big Boss was interesting. And then he became the villain we know from the first Metal Gear. Except not because there's more Big Boss games than Solid Snake games by now.

Honestly, I'd rather have more Raiden games.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Zelda, weapon breaking. Ruined the game, busy work that gets in the way.

Promethean & Promethean weapons, just awful inclusion to Halo, not fun at all.

MGS5 - the openworld + lack of Snake dialogue

francium87

Oct 27, 2017
Open world in Dragon Age Inquisition and Mass Effect Andromeda

Couldn't stand either, so boring, so much back tracking, so many fetch quests. (PS and I'm a DA2 apologist)

GoldStarz

Oct 25, 2017
The revelation that Xenmas always knew that nobodies can always grow new hearts after a while, in DDD. KH series don't have great final boss villains, but Xenmas was an exception and that reveal ruined him for me.
Wasn't this foreshadowed in KH2's Secret Reports though? I know the reunification thing was and people still got mad about that.
Master Xehanort
being a good guy
For me, it's not so much the reveal that they were acting with good intentions that annoys me, because I can see where that came from to an extent, but that they do easily earn forgiveness despite all the shit they stirred up.
Gen 1 pandering in pokemon games since X/Y.
I was gonna say 'Megas' but this is closer to what I mean. Megas are still bad though. Most of them should've just been third or second evos.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
I was gonna say 'Megas' but this is closer to what I mean. Megas are still bad though. Most of them should've just been third or second evos.
I'm grouping in Megas, Alolan Forms, and Pokemon Lets Go all together for this one. And the fact that both X/Y and Sun/Moon have more pokemon from gen 1 than any other gen.

Though if we just look at megas alone, I really hated the implementation in game.
First of all, they are mostly given to gen 1 pokemon for X/Y. There are none for the new pokemon that debuted in that generation, or really much of anything for gen 4 and 5, either.
Second, they felt like an instant win button at times (the reason why I like Z-moves better), and makes an already easy game even more piss easy.
And third, nobody else uses them in the rest of the game to even the playing field. NO gym leaders use megas. NO elite 4 members use megas. The only battles in the main campaign that used megas against you were the final rival battle, the final evil boss, and the champion. That's it.

Z-moves were much better implemented. Even random ace-trainers out in the wild could use one. And it feels fair as you can only use it once per battle, so you can't sweep with it like megas.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
GTA going from missions that just hand you a goal and let you accomplish it to handholdy can only do it the one way they let you for linear story moments. The open worlds are still killer but I liked open mission design. Three might be archaic in most aspects but the mission freedom was unmatched by any entry since and the restrictions on free play in story missions have got worse with each new entry.
Came to post this.

Eikemo

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 20, 2018
MGSV taking the series open world and mission based instead of a cohesive narrative.

I was not of a fan of its structure and felt it lost much of the charm that the focused, linear adventures of 1-4 had. Repetitive missions, not many awesome cutscenes and cinematics...it was the first MGS I actually stopped playing.
As MGSV was my first MGS game I didn't have a problem with it, but I can definitely see how it would bother long-therm fans

Wagram

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Open world Zelda most likely. It's not a bad game, but the repetition is ridiculous and the dungeons, which are my favorite part of Zelda games, are completely abysmal.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Reveling clothing isn't really the bugbear with me, more the character designs and general tone I suppose.
Just the difference in the character design put me off:
2hQNWhV.jpg

ebaIMjD.jpg

Just not my jam

It's especially annoying because Pyra is clearly just the same godamn design the artist used for Cecilia for the Awakening DLC.

latest

Like...ugh...

Also, the over fanserviceness of Fates bugged the shit out of me (though honestly that started with Awakening DLC).

El Crono

Oct 27, 2017
Mexico
Multiplayer in Mario games. I could never enjoy playing New Super Mario Bros. U nor 3D World because the design is very focused on having multiple players on screen. For me Mario Bros. just isn't a competitive game.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
Like many others, I also hope that the next Zelda is NOT like BotW. Boring dungeons, awful pacing, the worst bosses the series has ever known...it's all just so bland. I can take the exploration, but they need - need - to add more structure to the next one.

The changes made to Titans in Titanfall 2 completely ruined the MP for me. Just awful. What a way to go too, since the on foot stuff was (mostly) improved, but...yikes.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
The changes made to Titans in Titanfall 2 completely ruined the MP for me. Just awful. What a way to go too, since the on foot stuff was (mostly) improved, but...yikes.
Hard disagree. Titanfall 1's shield system was way too forgiving, and Titans were extremely tanky as a result. The Atlas was way overpowered with its damage core, two dodges, and recharging shields. The perfect blend of mobility and attack power. Titanfall 2 making Titans recharge faster but have far less staying power was a great call. Simplifying the rodeo system to encourage Pilots to target Titans for their batteries instead of laying them out flat with an LMG was another great addition.

I dislike a lot of changes made in Titanfall 2's multiplayer (namely, ditching the Militia/IMC armor designs so everyone can use the same models with bright orange outlines), but the changes to Titan combat only served to improve the experience. It's a shame the map design was so poor, the game couldn't really take advantage of how much better-paced Titan battles were.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
I miss that staying power though - they felt like temp powerups as a result, which was just lame.

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
Disgaea always felt like it did something similar. I mean it was ALWAYS anime as fuck but it felt like 3, 4, and 5 leaned in way harder than 1 or 2. Maybe I just got older.
I have fonder memories of 1 than the others and I assumed it was because Atlus did the localization instead of NISA. The voice casting was less inspired and the comic timing felt worse after 1.