• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
I love this feature on the Switch Controller and would be happy if you could please share what games take full advantage of it the best. Also anything else you would like to comment about HD Rumble would be great also!

DoctorOak

Feb 22, 2018
United Kingdom
Nintendo Labo. (Pretty sure Labo and 1-2 Switch are the only games that ever actually used it for anything beyond just going bzzzz anyways so...)

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
Personally I loved its use in Tumbleseed, it makes you feel the different shapes of the balls rolling (there is a starry one ant it feels fucking spiky).
I also liked it in Mario Odissey and ARMS.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
Kirby Star Allies has the most mind-blowing use of HD Rumble, but it's in a very specific late-game level and not so much throughout the game.

woolyninja

Oct 27, 2017
Golf Story easily. It actually used it to make some of the sound effects and it's very cool.

Bazry

Oct 30, 2017
Just Dance has a single player mode where you hold both joy cons and perform tasks like a construction worker, which is by far the best use and feel of HD Rumble i've come across

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
The game where I *really* noticed the HD rumble was riding the scooter in Mario Odyssey. They nailed that engine rumble.

sora bora

Oct 27, 2017
HD Rumble is such a funny name. It would be fantastic if the updated Switch had "HDR Rumble."

AppleKid

Feb 21, 2018
I recall Golf Story and Odyssey making pretty good use, but 1-2 Switch is still the only game I boot up to showcase HD rumble. Hoping Nintendo can make a better multiplayer game based around it soon

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
Mario Party uses it extremely effectively in a lot of games.

I also really like the implementation in Mario Tennis Aces.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Thumper felt pretty good, especially in handheld.
Personally I loved its use in Tumbleseed, it makes you feel the different shapes of the balls rolling (there is a starry one ant it feels fucking spiky).
I also liked it in Mario Odissey and ARMS.
+1 for Tumbleseed, I thought that game was forgotten! Early on its HD Rumble impressed me.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Splatoon 2 is still my favorite implementation because of how it synergizes with the sound design and visual cues you get from the game giving the player an increased awareness of what's happening, increased immersion, and more satisfying controls. getting the full travel and pop of the rapid blaster ending with a direct hit is one of the most satisfying things in video games for me. I'm sure getting charger snaps is up there but I suck at chargers. it is subtly done though and I've seen people not even really know that it's hd rumble but that's another reason why I like it, it's not overbearing. you don't feel what your controller is doing more so than what's happening in the game. for games like golf story and odyssey the hd rumble is really cool but there are moments where you're just like "holy shit the controller is vibrating really fucking loud right now!" whereas with Splatoon you just feel what is being represented. it's good stuff.

also the plunk you get when dropping into a pool of water in steamworld dig 2 is good shit

AuroraMusisAmica

One Winged Slayer
Aug 16, 2018
Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night.

Some may call it a bug, but I consider the ability to turn joycons into portable massagers a plus.

KartuneDX

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Throwing my hat in for Golf Story, it's a lovely implementation that's surprisingly immersive.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Golf Story, Mario Odyssey and 1, 2 Switch.

In most games it's a huge nuisance, most devs use the rumble at full power which is very loud and uncomfortable.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
Mario Odyssey is my favorite usage I've encountered. They use it to make the transformations and vehicles feel so visceral, it's great. The aforementioned scooter is one, I also really like the lion you ride in the desert.

Roubjon

Oct 25, 2017
Monster Hunter Gen U feels cool when a monster roars. You can kinda hear the specific monster's roar through the rumble.

FuzzyAssassin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Kirby Star Allies has the most mind-blowing use of HD Rumble, but it's in a very specific late-game level and not so much throughout the game.

I'll second this. Kirby uses HD Rumble in a very surprising way that I didn't think was possible. Labo does something similar, but the use in Kirby is more unexpected.

Apr 21, 2018
Recently I've really enjoyed it in Mario Maker 2. It feels great, and it's varying levels of subtlety.

I really hope HD rumble is here to stay.

Dec 23, 2017
I haven't played one switch game that I feel sells me on HD rumble. Wish they would get rid of it and put that money towards something better.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Bloodstained, jokes about a certain bug aside, actually makes good use of it. When your health gets critical, the rumble vibrates like a quickened pulse.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Smash Bros. Ultimate's implementation of HD rumble honestly makes it one of the best feeling games to me. The fact that we can sample sooo many different rumble types like sword clanks or a charging beam is just another amazing thing the game does.

TheOne

Alt Account
Banned
May 25, 2019
mh9f8J1.gif

Woylie

May 9, 2018
Maybe unpopular opinion but I actually kind of hate HD rumble and keep it turned off most of the time. It just feels like a giant phone vibrating. Some games like 1 - 2 Switch make good use of it, but I think a lot of games aren't well calibrated for handheld and it just feels too intense.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night feels incredible. The low health warning feels like your heart is beating in your hand.

BuggyMike

Nov 2, 2017
It really enhanced my experience playing the observer on switch. The game used it in so many dope ways, like when I was hiding away from some big scary thing, you could feel the footsteps get harder as it got closer and become more feint as it went farther away, the sensation was so precise. HD rumble was heavily used that game and I loved it. Super underrated feature.

trugs26

Jan 6, 2018
I've literally never felt it before. Or at least noticed it. I've owned a switch since launch and played a wide variety of games on multiple different controllers. It just feels like normal rumble, ableit weaker. I guess my hands are not sensitive enough?

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
I remember that Octopath Traveler had a really nice implementation of HD rumble. Whenever you buy or sell things you can feel the change in your purse leave the controller.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Golf Story easily. It actually used it to make some of the sound effects and it's very cool.
Yup, that's the one for me too.

Haven't played a single other game on the Switch that has used HD Rumble as well as Golf Story.

I hate that BotW hadn't been built with it in mind, hopefully they take advantage of it more in the sequel.

Mario Kart when you get hit by lightning or collect a coin in nice, but only with the joycons in the grip. Attached to the console in handheld mode it doesn't feel or look as good.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I have never once noticed "HD rumble" in any game. It all just feels like rumble to me. I've never played 1-2 Switch, which was one of the games to really use it in a gimmicky way. But I've played almost every other big name Switch game, and it's kind of just rumble.