• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sankara

Alt Account
Banned
May 19, 2019
Paris
GOG has been active for a while now and it is without a doubt one of the most important platforms that has revived a lot of classics and made them available both to old and new players who never got a chance to experience classic PC games before. The fact that they managed to get Warcraft 1+2 and DIablo 1 were just amazing and hopefully a sign of things to come.

Since they've been at it for a while, what classics are they still missing and what publisher still refuses to put their legacy titles on the service? Looking at the wishlist, it seems some of the missing titles:

Command & Conquer series : Lots of other EA classics are on GOG (Dungeon Keeper, Theme Hospital), yet none of the C&C games are there. I wonder why EA never bothered seeing how the Ultimate Collection is on Origin
Black & White: One of the most requested strategy games, yet it's unavailable and Lionhead is no more. I could imagine Microsoft has something to do with this.
Blade Runner: I actually don't know why Westwood or EA haven't released this. I assume it is problems with the IP rights between the Dick estate, Ridley Scott, Fox, and EA.
Mechwarrior and Mechcommander: The most popular series that isn't available. Like Black & White, Microsoft is the owner of the IP and the games, so I imagine this is why.
Freelancer: Microsoft again. No idea why.
No One Lives Forever: Legal troubles between Warner and Fox made it impossible for Night Dive Studios to resurrect these classic games. Absolutely devastating.
Aliens Versus Predator 2: Like NOLF, this was also made by Monolith, yet it is nowhere to be seen. The previous AvP by Rebellion is on GOG.
Neverhood: Not sure why this isn't available.
Silent Hill 2, 3, 4: These classic horror games got PC versions but Konami haven't bothered with putting them on digital distribution.
Age of Empires: On Steam, but not on GOG. Microsoft again.
Dune series: Westwood again, but I could imagine the Frank Herbert estate is making things complicated for EA.
Lord of the Rings: Battle for Middle-Earth 1+2: Warner now holds the LOTR license and therefore EA is not allowed to sell these anymore, I assume.

Any other games that are sorely missing? I apologize for not including ones that I have grossly overlooked

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
1993 Spacehulk
lots of stuff on the wish list

GOG.com

Download the best games on Windows & Mac. A vast selection of titles, DRM-free, with free goodies, and lots of pure customer love.

Oct 20, 2018
Brazil
I feel like the original The Sims should've been on GOG by now. The Sims 2 too, actually, but at least you can get that one on Origin if you ask nicely (or send a picture of the boxed version along with the serial code for proof) on their customer support.

Edit: The classic Need for Speed games as well. I'd love to have NFS II and Porsche Unleashed in digital form :/

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Gears of War 1, 2, 3 and Judgement.

Obviously.

I'd like to see Freedom Fighters released somewhere.

edit: Max Payne 1 and 2? Preferably working versions.

Oct 25, 2017
The early Civilization games (1 & 2) - Yeah, they have 3 and 4, but I want the ones that hooked me originally.

Sub Culture - An underwater take on Wing Commander Privateer.

The Escape Velocity games - 2D space trading games that were Mac-only (until the third one.)

EmptyWarren

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
NightDive needs to hurry up with Turok 3 and Rage Wars. Those are just all around missing, though.

I would like to see the Rockstar catalogue on there. Manhunt 1 & 2, GTA3, VC, San An, The Warriors, etc.

Oct 25, 2017
the ocean
The Civilization games prior to III desperately need to be made available. Looks like Take-Two Interactive are the ones who can make this happen. So, to add to the list:

Sid Meier's Civilization
Sid Meier's Civilization II
Civilization II: Test of Time

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd like to see the TNG point and click game.
Good thread topic and very solid list...as far as Blade Runner goes, I'm pretty sure I read that the original files were somehow lost, but I might be misremembering.
You're not misremembering. They lost the source files when they were moving offices. Unfortunately. 😞

OP
OP
Sankara

Sankara

Alt Account
Banned
May 19, 2019
Paris
Good thread topic and very solid list...as far as Blade Runner goes, I'm pretty sure I read that the original files were somehow lost, but I might be misremembering.
You're not misremembering. They lost the source files when they were moving offices. Unfortunately. 😞

What's stopping them from just re-releasing an iso with some Windows 10 compatibility fixes?

I'd like to see the TNG point and click game.

Which one was that?

OP
OP
Sankara

Sankara

Alt Account
Banned
May 19, 2019
Paris
Gears of War 1, 2, 3 and Judgement.

Obviously

Based on my list in the OP, I don't think Microsoft ever wants to distribute their games on GOG. No Age of Empires, no Black & White, no Mechwarrior, no Mechcommander, no MS Flight Sim, no Freelancer. It seems like they actively avoid it, apparently. So Gears of War is probably never going to happen unless Microsoft change their minds about GOG.

Jon God

Oct 28, 2017
Classic Bungie stuff:
Myth series
Oni
Marathon
Pathways into darkness
Halo

Not bungie:
Escape Velocity series
Star Wars LucasLearning titles
Dark castle series
Civilization II
Spider-Man (2000)
Hydro Thunder
Ferazel's Wand
Stubbs The Zombie
Lode Runner Online
Nanosaur
Bugdom
Fool's Errand

And more, if I wasn't at work I'd probably be working this list all day

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Any idea why Monolith are unable to publish it? Rebellion didn't have any problem with getting their AvP out, yet Monolith's NOLF and AvP2 are mysteriously absent.
No idea, but I guess the various different rights holders are a factor. I was very surprised when the first AvP came out.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Nolf 1 and 2, though the I.P and owners/publishers are to blame because they don't know who should/does own it.

Freedom Fighters. Considering all the classic Hitman games are there, this is an oddity.

Desert/Urban/Jungle Strike. I might be wrong, but last I checked they're not on there. Nuclear and Soviet Strike also.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Infocom games other than the Zork series, like A Mind Forever Voyaging and Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Brood

Nov 8, 2018
Many amazing games I played on DOS and Win95 back in the day aren't available on GOG.

Star Trek the Next Generation: A Final Unity.
Albion.
Fable (not that one. a point and click adventure).
Reunion.
Dust (not that one, the one by Cyberflex).

DPB

Nov 1, 2017
I didn't expect anyone else to come in and say this so kudos. I only ever played Noir although I owned all three as a kid, would love to play through them all now.

I remember enjoying them back in the 90s, but I replayed them a few years ago and ended up regretting it. Discworld2 is fine, but the original is a game that hates the player and it's filled with illogical puzzles. There's a good write-up at Eurogamer that sums it up well. Nowhere near LucasArts quality, sadly.

SkoomaBlade

Chicken Chaser
Oct 30, 2017
Lack the either Battle for Middle Earth is pretty sad. My only access to the series at the moment is the BFMEII port on the 360 which luckily is decent enough.

Brinksman

Oct 25, 2017
Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain apparently because Activision (Windows port publisher) are uncooperative with Square Enix (series rights holder).
The last word:

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've still got a cdrom copy of blade runner, is it even possible to get it running on a modern machine? I haven't played it since I was a teen. I wonder if it holds up.